Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Early Morning Workouts, Losing Motivation

I'll keep this at a TL;DR level:

I started lifting hard in college (i'm 25 now) and i quickly progressed. At my peak, i weighed 185 and could squat 315+ (never pushed myself because of fear of effing up knees, so i opted for higher reps), dumbbell bench 140 lb dumbbells, and deadlift 405.

Anyway, now i work a very demanding job, so i do not get home often until after 9pm, which is no good for the gym. I usually hit bed and get up around 5 and am at the gym by 6am.

Anyway, i've noticed some lower motivation, i do not use pre workout (1 espresso shot has been my MO), and feel like i'm losing some mass. i think I'm around 175 now and can barely put the 125 LB dumbbells up for press anymore.

What do you guys do you combat this?

FYI, heres my routine:

Day 1: Legs
Day 2: Chest Triceps
Day 3: Back and Biceps
Day 4: Abs
Day 5: Shoulders
Day 6/7: Rest/Spin/Toss up

Should i start using pre workout? I hear it just wears off after using it for a few weeks.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Seems like you are into strength training, yet you follow a bodybuilding split routing.
Taking PWO won't make you feel more motivated, just more cracked out.

I'm into powerlifting (a few years older than you). What worked for me:
Changing it up - the programs I've tried over the years: 5x5, Madcow, Smolov Jr, Wendler, 10x3 bench. Change is good, keeps you entertained.
Making short/long term goals - long term goals for me were to hit 5 plates on dl, 4 plates on squat, and 2.5 on bench by the end of year. Short term were to switch to hook grip instead of mixed on dl and focus more on front squats. Achieving these goals keeps you motivated. And yet failing (I went for 405 on squat yesterday and got buried) also humbles you and let's you improve on your weak points.
Getting a visual of your progress - if you don't own those already, invest in measuring tape, scale, pen and paper, a good tracking app, etc. If you are trying to lose/gain weight, get on that scale daily. If you wanna have bigger arms/chest, measure them periodically. If you are strength-training, record your results so you could calculate the poundages. All this can give you an idea of whether or not you are progressing.
Watch videos on youtube - there are plenty of channels that carry great info. If it's my squat day, I'll watch some videos of people squatting heavy with perfect technique. Motivates me.
Appreciate 1
dean8766.00
      08-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Seems like you are into strength training, yet you follow a bodybuilding split routing.
Taking PWO won't make you feel more motivated, just more cracked out.

I'm into powerlifting (a few years older than you). What worked for me:
Changing it up - the programs I've tried over the years: 5x5, Madcow, Smolov Jr, Wendler, 10x3 bench. Change is good, keeps you entertained.
Making short/long term goals - long term goals for me were to hit 5 plates on dl, 4 plates on squat, and 2.5 on bench by the end of year. Short term were to switch to hook grip instead of mixed on dl and focus more on front squats. Achieving these goals keeps you motivated. And yet failing (I went for 405 on squat yesterday and got buried) also humbles you and let's you improve on your weak points.
Getting a visual of your progress - if you don't own those already, invest in measuring tape, scale, pen and paper, a good tracking app, etc. If you are trying to lose/gain weight, get on that scale daily. If you wanna have bigger arms/chest, measure them periodically. If you are strength-training, record your results so you could calculate the poundages. All this can give you an idea of whether or not you are progressing.
Watch videos on youtube - there are plenty of channels that carry great info. If it's my squat day, I'll watch some videos of people squatting heavy with perfect technique. Motivates me.

Great advice. I've watched some Steve Cook vids before. He helped me switch up my squat routine. i Started doing 8 sets of 8 with 30 sec break between, absolutely killer.

I'll head back into some youtube land and maybe switch up the routine. For now, waking up when its dark will just need to happen...

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Official NOCO
NoCo's Marketing Pawn
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mazda6 GT - I mean a BMW?

Yeah I would go for a 5x5/ 3-4 day a week strength building routine. I switched to this from a body building spilt once I graduate this past May.

Less time in the gym, and honestly strength is a lot more useful than glamour muscles. Just eat healthy and strength train and you'll look good still. For pre workout I always take caffeine pills which work great.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
I usually tell myself that, "I'm a piece of shit" if i don't go to the gym. I always feel like one too, if I don't go. That usually gets me going. And when I get there, I see motivation all around me, including all the eye candy!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

morning workouts are the worst.

When I do morning workouts, i need a 5hr energy and a heaping scoop of pre workout, otherwise my lifts are around 10-15% lower than an afternoon/evening workout.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

For almost 10 years now I've been doing early morning workouts. Still painful to wake up every morning to get a workout in but at this point if I don't get a morning workout in my energy level suffers for the rest of the day. I sleep great at night (unless one of my kids ruins it for me). I have better focus during the day. As far as my actual routine I constantly mix it up. I make sure I have 2 days a week that are focused on really getting my heart rate up for at least 40 minutes. Other days I typically am lifting. I workout for overall fitness vs power so at 5 foot 10 I weigh 150lbs and am in some of the best shape of my life.

I'm not a coffee guy so I actually do use pre-workout. Because I typically am trying to get to my workout within 35 minutes of waking up I find that the PWO gives me the kick in the ass I need to go and the focus I need to get through it. I've tried them all over the years and after years of cycling probably toxic chemicals through my body I've settled on one that I use. Pre-Jym. PreJym is heavier on the caffeine than most so its going to feel similar to your coffee. Also doesn't have any "proprietary blends" which always scared me. I hate not knowing what i'm putting in my body. Ive been using pre jym for over a year and still get the same effect using slightly less than what they would recommend as a full dose. With some of the others I had nasty crashes a couple of hours after taking that made me feel like i was in a nap or die situation. Some gave me crazy tingles that made it clear something was in me that I didn't want. Some tore up my stomach and I would have to drive fast to the gym to make sure my car didn't turn in to an outhouse. PreJym has given me none of these scenarios. Best I can describe it would be that it (for me) is good clean energy.

No surprise its also a very expensive solution and you can only buy it through ******* which sucks. Everybody's body can react differently to PWOs so I would say that you should try it but listen close to your body and be careful. Lots of horror stories out there and lots of people who down double or triple doses to go full beast mode in the gym. You can get yourself CRAZY good sessions by dosing up but my personal belief is that you are risking your long term health by doing so.... like most other things, just don't be stupid.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I've done it a few times, and it really makes for an energetic day (I mainly do cardio in the gym). But I go to bed at midnight so getting up at 6am to hit the gym just doesn't work for me. That is why I go at night, usually between 8pm and 9pm.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

can you goto a new gym? sometimes a change of scenery can help progress.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 3
Naz241627.50
smoosh2211.50
      08-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

sometimes I train at different gyms. environment and scenery and using hammer strength machines does feel like a new start. deff switch up training to routines.

I recommended reading flex magazines and buying the Arnold encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding.
or the Mike menzter book. reading is key for knowledge when it comes to lifting. Deff watch kai greene vids or phil heath workouts and use that to fuel your drive.

I feel your pain OP, i wake up at 5:45 and my commute is 1.5 hours going and another 1.5 hours coming. I get home at 7pm, not as bad as you but I would for sure recommend pre workout, just have one scoop and try to lift on weekends more frequently or do a 3-4 day split...it stinks because my best workouts is on the weekends when im not working.. if Ronnie was a cop and won Mr Olympia's then find a way. but like Ronnie Coleman said, aint nothing to do but do it. mind over muscle. will power. good luck brotha
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
sometimes I train at different gyms. environment and scenery and using hammer strength machines does feel like a new start. deff switch up training to routines.

I recommended reading flex magazines and buying the Arnold encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding.
or the Mike menzter book. reading is key for knowledge when it comes to lifting. Deff watch kai greene vids or phil heath workouts and use that to fuel your drive.

I feel your pain OP, i wake up at 5:45 and my commute is 1.5 hours going and another 1.5 hours coming. I get home at 7pm, not as bad as you but I would for sure recommend pre workout, just have one scoop and try to lift on weekends more frequently or do a 3-4 day split...it stinks because my best workouts is on the weekends when im not working.. if Ronnie was a cop and won Mr Olympia's then find a way. but like Ronnie Coleman said, aint nothing to do but do it. mind over muscle. will power. good luck brotha
Thanks guys.. I think i'm going to look into changing my routine split. Ie instead of doing Back and Biceps, i'll do Chest/Biceps, just to switch it up a bit..

The espresso definitely is not cutting it lately. ESPECIALLY with the fact that its now dark out when i wake up.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

yea try drinking two espressos at one time or if your going on an off day from work(weekend) get a preworkout like pre Jym.

deff recommend splitting and changing to chest biceps or arms on their own day, never was a fan of doing back and biceps, my biceps were shot by the time iw as done with back lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Been to alot of gyms, the day came where I fucked up my shoulder. 2 year break.
Went back to the gym...fucked up shoulder... 1 year break. This went on a couple of times till I discovered, that the normal bodybuilding excercises actually kill your joints.
Doing normal bizeps curls eat up over time your neck. This can cause stuff you cant imagine in your worst nightmares. Anyhow all that brang me to Callesthenics. Now at the age of 36 yrs. Iam in the best shape of my life, all I do are some squats, slow ass dips, bodyweight Shoulder stuff...and Iam freaking buffed. The best thing on all that...pain free and NO fucked up shoulder. It looks like these isolated miscle workouts with weights do definately no good to your body. Thats at least what I had to learn, even I did perfect exercises, over years it ate up my joints. I can obly imagine how fucked up pro bodybuilders are...

Back Bizeps:

Always trained that way and my gaines werent bad. I had like pull and days...back in the days I was playing with weights.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #14
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Been to alot of gyms, the day came where I fucked up my shoulder. 2 year break.
Went back to the gym...fucked up shoulder... 1 year break. This went on a couple of times till I discovered, that the normal bodybuilding excercises actually kill your joints.
Doing normal bizeps curls eat up over time your neck. This can cause stuff you cant imagine in your worst nightmares. Anyhow all that brang me to Callesthenics. Now at the age of 36 yrs. Iam in the best shape of my life, all I do are some squats, slow ass dips, bodyweight Shoulder stuff...and Iam freaking buffed. The best thing on all that...pain free and NO fucked up shoulder. It looks like these isolated miscle workouts with weights do definately no good to your body. Thats at least what I had to learn, even I did perfect exercises, over years it ate up my joints. I can obly imagine how fucked up pro bodybuilders are...

Back Bizeps:

Always trained that way and my gaines werent bad. I had like pull and days...back in the days I was playing with weights.
Interesting perspective on work outs. At this point, i'm 25 and i've had my random fair share of muscle aches, thrown out backs and neck pain-- seems to happen randomly a few times a year.

I'm there to stay fit and keep my mind clear; not to compete in NPC Finals. So i will start taking a look into some of your recommendations

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Motivation is meaningless because it runs out. It's a conscious effort to maintain.
Discipline is far more useful because it's habit-forming. If you make working out part of your life and day, your motivation levels will become irrelevant. It's like going to work- there are days when you got a case of the fvck-its and don't want to be there, but you go and do your job anyways. You get your money and it pays off. Same thing should apply to the gym. Go to the gym and you'll get returns.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #16
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302 View Post
Motivation is meaningless because it runs out. It's a conscious effort to maintain.
Discipline is far more useful because it's habit-forming. If you make working out part of your life and day, your motivation levels will become irrelevant. It's like going to work- there are days when you got a case of the fvck-its and don't want to be there, but you go and do your job anyways. You get your money and it pays off. Same thing should apply to the gym. Go to the gym and you'll get returns.
This.

It takes a lot of effort to form it into a habit, but it's possible.

I wrote a lot about keeping motivation, but I myself treat working out the same as I treat dinner. You are not gonna skip dinner, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #17
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I haven't read the other posts but I'm sure at this point I'm just adding the same comments as a number of others.

For me it's discipline and not motivation. I'm up at 4:30 am five days a week; I'm in the gym by 4:55 am. It's very rare that I don't feel like training, but on these days I know it's most important to train. Oddly enough I tend to have the best sessions, such as randomly hitting a pr. I think it's important to just get up and go train; never ask yourself if you feel like training, just fncking do it. Make everything around training a habit, from how you prepare the night before, to how you get out of bed, to how you walk into the gym.

Good luck. Stick with it.
Appreciate 1
catcher22294.00
      10-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm also a morning guy with my gym routine. If I weren't so busy with my professional life, I would certainly go in the evenings, but for now I'm finding that mornings are working better.

As others pointed out, the lifts just aren't as good in the morning since you are so energy-depleted. I think your body may be burnt out and could use an extra rest day during the course of the week.

Psychologically, what keeps me motivated to get out of bed when my alarm rings at 6 a.m. is knowing that if I don't get up, then I will hate myself the rest of the day for selling-out on my promise to myself that I will be a more disciplined individual.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Naz - have you thought about giving CrossFit a try? It's extremely motivating and the results I've seen are greater than any other routine I've tried. The programming changes every day which keeps it fresh and fun.

Been doing it for two years at 530am (wake up at 5:05) and I go to sleep at 11pm. No issues with waking up but I find that I feel much more prepared to start my day after a hard workout.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #20
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT

Start listening to/watching some motivational videos. Pre workout works well for me. A nasty music playlist also helps. Bad bitches in the gym, too.
Appreciate 0