BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
alec_jan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 135i

Recommend me a weekend 'vert

When I purchased my 135i coupe, it was my intention to use my Civic as a DD to "spare" the 135... Long story short, can't help myself but driving the 135 every day, so the Civic sits neglected in the garage for weeks at a time.

Being in SoCal, I think I'd enjoy having a vert for occasional use... What are some options I should consider on a budget? Would likely trade in the 40K mile Civic and like to stay <$15K, really closer to 9-10 if possible. Have always loved S2K's, but they seem to be high mileage at that price range, and almost all have a history of body work, modding or abuse. Miata? MR2? Appreciate any tips!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Z3M
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

E46 330i(classy look) plenty of those can be found in good shape/low miles and for the price range you're looking for. Check out cars.com & autotrader.com
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta
Z3M
The definition of chassis flex.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

e46 330i of course. For that price you can get sub 75K mile 2005 - no problem
      02-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Triumph TR-6.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

+1 on the MZ3 Roadster. Should be able to find a really decent one for under $15k.

I love mine.
      02-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yes, because we're all on the same level as Michael Schumacher and that extra rigidity really makes a world of difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Boost4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63S AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec_jan View Post
Have always loved S2K's, but they seem to be high mileage at that price range, and almost all have a history of body work, modding or abuse. Miata? MR2? Appreciate any tips!
S2k's are great cars if you can find a cheap & clean example, although that has been very hard to find lately. Its reliable, parts are cheap, gets good gas mileage, & they are FUN because they are so tossable. If you can't find a good s2k, then I agree, a Miata or a MR2 is a good replacement. But if you aren't looking for such a small convertible & you're just going to be cruising on the highway most of the time, maybe a early 2000's Mustang GT vert might be a good buy, they can be had for around $7k or under. Decent power, ok gas mileage, 5 seater convertible.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
I may be spoiled by having the Trilogy as we call it of frame bracing, but WTF are you talking about?

It's not a modern open top car from the last 5 years in terms of rigidity but certainly does not go with your description.

$12-15k buys an damn nice s52 Roadster that when driven just has all the sound and feel you could want and still be fairly quick by today's standards and still have DD worthy features. I even averaged 24-25mpg with NA bolt ons.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just coming from a Miata, the MZ3 was way too flexy. The windshield shook on small impacts, the rear suspension never seemed to be doing what it was intended to do and it just felt like a wet noodle. The M seemed to bring out the worst in it, with either motor.

There's a reason the M Coupe I ended up with could be 260% stiffer than the roadster and even the Z4 was 240% stiffer.

Miatas, S2000's, non M first gen Z4's, and Boxsters would all be higher on my personal list. The only thing with more flex from that general era would be a C5 Corvette convertible.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just coming from a Miata, the MZ3 was way too flexy. The windshield shook on small impacts, the rear suspension never seemed to be doing what it was intended to do and it just felt like a wet noodle. The M seemed to bring out the worst in it, with either motor.

There's a reason the M Coupe I ended up with could be 260% stiffer than the roadster and even the Z4 was 240% stiffer.

Miatas, S2000's, non M first gen Z4's, and Boxsters would all be higher on my personal list. The only thing with more flex from that general era would be a C5 Corvette convertible.
Later cars were stiffer, but does not make the Mz3 a wetnoodle.

Like I said, my frame of reference is my car which has...

The rear subframe reinforcement from Mr. M-Car, the Trilogy of the Butt strut, frame rail reinforcements, strut tower brace, and often driving around with the hardtop for much of the time.

Now granted, the Z4 is a stiffer unibody and drives like a more modern BMW. But the Mz3 has so much more feel and feedback, it's a much more raw and fun car to drive.

Boxtser doesn't cut it, it is sharper yes, but lacks the mid range punch and feel. Same with the S2000, sharper, light on it's feet, but feels very soft when not being driven closer to the edge of the tach.

I guess the MZ3 either clicks with you or it doesn't.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
it's a much more raw and fun car to drive.
To be fair, I think you clearly answered it right there. I loved my M Coupe and never brought myself to buy the more refined (and capable) Z4M or Cayman because the crudeness and skill you had to show the MZ3 were more engaging. I've mowed plenty of track grass with mine when my skill came up lacking, but it sure was rewarding when you got it right, in a way that my Miata and other cars I've tracked (an Exige and a few STI's) never were. I suppose the summary here is that I prefer cars with flaws, I just chickened out and took mine with a few less than yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I guess the MZ3 either clicks with you or it doesn't.
I had one for a dozen years and loved every minute of it, in fact I'm still struggling to replace it with anything. Mine just had a roof, but I understand your love for the Roady, it's actually the car that first attracted me to BMW. We both love sisters, I just happen to love the ugly one.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, I think you clearly answered it right there. I loved my M Coupe and never brought myself to buy the more refined (and capable) Z4M or Cayman because the crudeness and skill you had to show the MZ3 were more engaging. I've mowed plenty of track grass with mine when my skill came up lacking, but it sure was rewarding when you got it right, in a way that my Miata and other cars I've tracked (an Exige and a few STI's) never were. I suppose the summary here is that I prefer cars with flaws, I just chickened out and took mine with a few less than yours.

I had one for a dozen years and loved every minute of it, in fact I'm still struggling to replace it with anything. Mine just had a roof, but I understand your love for the Roady, it's actually the car that first attracted me to BMW. We both love sisters, I just happen to love the ugly one.

Half my friends are coupe people.

I just happened to fall on a Roadster with LMs, Euro Raid airbag steering wheel, and the subframe already fixed. I was never a convertible person. But this car did something to me. The sounds with the top down and the feel cannot be duplicated by the Coupe. But, the rigidity of the Coupe cannot be duplicated by the Roadster. I gotta tell you, the improvements to mine have made it come along way.

I am glad you understand what I mean about feel. My forum is filled with Coupes and Roadsters that have flirted with Z4Ms and other newer cars and just don't make the switch.

My car is a wet noodle as you say only when you start comparing it to much newer cars. The unibody came out in '96, which means it was largely designed and engineered around '93-94. As you said, it is more solid than a C5 which came out around the same time.

So while I am a Coupe person, they are an acquired taste. Meanwhile my wife loves the Roadster, asks to take it out on nice days, and people oogle it. The Coupe, it either gets loves or hate, but I kind of like that as I am a car underdog type person.

People who have ridden in my car coming from 911's, Astons, you name it, they giggle like children and say the feel and sound and performance is approaching super car territory. That is the magic of 13-15psi in a tiny car. I find there is nothing I can replace this car with, only thing similar would be a kit Cobra with similar power. So it stays in the stable.

Short vid from a cold cars and coffee where I was short shifting at 3k due to salt on the roads, but still gives you an idea of sound.

http://instagram.com/p/ieYNwft5C2/

Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 02-12-2014 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #15
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Porsche 914 or Alfa Spider...

or get a 135 convertible! lol j/k
Appreciate 0