Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #1409
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Be well brother!
      10-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #1410
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

No worries was just checking on something been bugging me for long time.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #1411
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Alright gents, question time. Do any of you use wrist straps? If so, what do you recommend? After surgery on the right hand last week, I only missed 2 days at the gym but I'm forced not to be lifting actual weight, which sucks. I have been using isolation machines, just to keep some sense of progress going, but I hate using them. I go back to the Dr. next Monday, hopefully to get the stitches removed, and plan to discuss full recovery time and when I can expect to go back to lifting. In the meantime, I'm considering lifting straps, until I can get my strength back in my hand. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #1412
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Last night I began again to use weight that allows me to get 12 reps. I'm finding that the additional reps makes my JOINTS hurt more than the higher weight/reduced reps. But I again felt GOOD when I got done, walking over to dip into that cold pool. It's been below 50 at night the past couple days, so that water is cooling off quick. No way am I putting my head under any more. They also SEEM to have turned up the t-stat on the jacuzzi just a bit.
Beet dirt and cinnamon when I got home last night. In my dreams I kept looking for a bathroom in the hotel, restaurant, school, but there were only glimpses of the Women's.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #1413
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Alright gents, question time. Do any of you use wrist straps? If so, what do you recommend? After surgery on the right hand last week, I only missed 2 days at the gym but I'm forced not to be lifting actual weight, which sucks. I have been using isolation machines, just to keep some sense of progress going, but I hate using them. I go back to the Dr. next Monday, hopefully to get the stitches removed, and plan to discuss full recovery time and when I can expect to go back to lifting. In the meantime, I'm considering lifting straps, until I can get my strength back in my hand. Any suggestions?
Depends how much mobility you have in your hand and what movements you are doing. If it's still pretty painful gripping theres lift straps w/ hooks in them, which takes much of the grip aspect out of it. The normal wrist straps will do the same task, as for brand I don't really think it matters. When I used them in the past harbringer always made decent products. I refrain and detest them these days as they're a sign of weakness (kidding.. well to an extent I'm kidding, given your circumstances no judgement shall be passed hahaha)
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #1414
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Depends how much mobility you have in your hand and what movements you are doing. If it's still pretty painful gripping theres lift straps w/ hooks in them, which takes much of the grip aspect out of it. The normal wrist straps will do the same task, as for brand I don't really think it matters. When I used them in the past harbringer always made decent products. I refrain and detest them these days as they're a sign of weakness (kidding.. well to an extent I'm kidding, given your circumstances no judgement shall be passed hahaha)
After looking up a few products this morning, and I'm still digging, I've seen the hooks, straps and whatnot. I may get a pair and use them while my hand is healing, but most likely won't continue to use them after recovery is over. It's looking like I would mostly only gain the benefit of pull movements by using them, but I'll take what I can get for the moment; anything is better than nothing.

I figured some form of shade would be thrown. I take no offense to it though. Even though I'm still relatively new to going to the gym, when I see these guys come in and strap themselves up with all this gear (i.e. wrist straps, knee wraps, o2 deprivation masks, belts and whatnot) I kinda chuckle to myself. I mean, I'm working out at a Planet Fitness (I know, I know....it's basically the Wal-Mart of gyms) for christ sake; it isn't like they even have the equipment to justify using a belt. It's not like any of these guys are actual body builders or even real athletes. Don't get me wrong, we have some bigger guys that come in there, but none of them are what I would call shredded, just big and high body fat %. The guys that I talk to in there, that lift big weight, are not into counting their calories, paying attention to macros or have any sort of goals (or methodology of how to achieve them), it's all just continue to eat whatever they eat and lift as much weight as possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #1415
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After looking up a few products this morning, and I'm still digging, I've seen the hooks, straps and whatnot. I may get a pair and use them while my hand is healing, but most likely won't continue to use them after recovery is over. It's looking like I would mostly only gain the benefit of pull movements by using them, but I'll take what I can get for the moment; anything is better than nothing.

I figured some form of shade would be thrown. I take no offense to it though. Even though I'm still relatively new to going to the gym, when I see these guys come in and strap themselves up with all this gear (i.e. wrist straps, knee wraps, o2 deprivation masks, belts and whatnot) I kinda chuckle to myself. I mean, I'm working out at a Planet Fitness (I know, I know....it's basically the Wal-Mart of gyms) for christ sake; it isn't like they even have the equipment to justify using a belt. It's not like any of these guys are actual body builders or even real athletes. Don't get me wrong, we have some bigger guys that come in there, but none of them are what I would call shredded, just big and high body fat %. The guys that I talk to in there, that lift big weight, are not into counting their calories, paying attention to macros or have any sort of goals (or methodology of how to achieve them), it's all just continue to eat whatever they eat and lift as much weight as possible.
Yeah I mean to each their own, I am in all support of gear that is used correctly or needed. I'n your case you're using it to keep progress moving even though you're handicapped, which is respectable. Fact of the matter is majority of the time that gear is not needed and the person is just out here trying to look the part because they saw some bloke on instagram wearing cool looking gear.

With lifting straps I think you do a disservice to your forearms. With wrist supports I think you weaken your wrists over time, etc, etc. Now some people actually need the gear, i.e. bad knees/elbows/wrists. But when I see a young bull waltz into the gym and wrap his knees and lace up his power lifting shoes to squat 185lbs it grinds my gears lol.

And at the other end of the spectrum when I see people actually moving some weight the supports and straps don't even cross my mind. Because they're being used as they're intended to be.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #1416
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Yeah I mean to each their own, I am in all support of gear that is used correctly or needed. I'n your case you're using it to keep progress moving even though you're handicapped, which is respectable. Fact of the matter is majority of the time that gear is not needed and the person is just out here trying to look the part because they saw some bloke on instagram wearing cool looking gear.

With lifting straps I think you do a disservice to your forearms. With wrist supports I think you weaken your wrists over time, etc, etc. Now some people actually need the gear, i.e. bad knees/elbows/wrists. But when I see a young bull waltz into the gym and wrap his knees and lace up his power lifting shoes to squat 185lbs it grinds my gears lol.

And at the other end of the spectrum when I see people actually moving some weight the supports and straps don't even cross my mind. Because they're being used as they're intended to be.
Exactly! Seeing a guy that weighs 240 with a belt on to curl 35 pound dumbells always cracks me up.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      11-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #1417
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Hey I didnt post those photos
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
JP102462.00
      11-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #1418
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Awesome leg day. my legs feel like jello when walking
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #1419
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Hey I didnt post those photos
Were you squating in my curl rack again
      11-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #1420
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

No I was taking selfies
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #1421
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

funny thing I saw at the gym today. this girl took an incline bench. put a huge exercise ball on it. than laid down on top of it holding the front of the bench. than started to bounce herself up and down Superman style. i'm not sure what body part she was trying to hit but she almost when vertical from how high she was bouncing her body off the ball. but it was the funniest shit I saw in awhile lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:59 AM   #1422
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
funny thing I saw at the gym today. this girl took an incline bench. put a huge exercise ball on it. than laid down on top of it holding the front of the bench. than started to bounce herself up and down Superman style. i'm not sure what body part she was trying to hit but she almost when vertical from how high she was bouncing her body off the ball. but it was the funniest shit I saw in awhile lol!
lmao I'm so confused

Side note: Been at a new gym after the move for a few weeks now. First gym I've ever been a member of that most of the people there are actually competent. Im used to the other way around where most have no idea what they're doing and only a few seem to be making strides in there. My only guess is because this gym is $40/mo compared to my last gym which was $10/mo. Regardless, it's a nice change of pace. Find that I'm pushing myself harder now that I'm surrounded by those that seem to have the same goal.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      11-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #1423
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Look into Versa-Grips Pro and thank me later!!

With these...once you are strapped in you can actually release your fingers from the bar with no issues. Everything distributes through the wrist. I use them when I go 4 plates and up on Dead Lifts.
      11-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #1424
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Look into Versa-Grips Pro and thank me later!!

With these...once you are strapped in you can actually release your fingers from the bar with no issues. Everything distributes through the wrist. I use them when I go 4 plates and up on Dead Lifts.
Looking now! Thanks!

Edit: Ordered a set!

Last edited by King Rudi; 11-06-2019 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #1425
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking now! Thanks!

Edit: Ordered a set!
Let me know what you think. On a side note, they don't come with instructions and you would assume by looking at them that can be used on either hand.

But one of them will have a very small almost hidden tag that designates it as "Right". Just wanted to give you a heads up.

But I use these when doing heavy deads, and pull-ups when hanging extra weight on me.
      11-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #1426
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Let me know what you think. On a side note, they don't come with instructions and you would assume by looking at them that can be used on either hand.

But one of them will have a very small almost hidden tag that designates it as "Right". Just wanted to give you a heads up.

But I use these when doing heavy deads, and pull-ups when hanging extra weight on me.
Much appreciated! I'm looking forward to trying them out. I can see myself continuing to use them after the hand heals for certain lifts. Looking forward to using them on pull-up bar for lower abs. I can usually lift my hips for more reps than my grip will allow me to hang on to the bar. Forearms don't start burning before I'm finished, but diminished grip strength in the right has was a factor before.

Side note, since I haven't been able to lift for almost 2 weeks now; (it's really driving me insane but I also realize there are those out there with far worse injuries than mine, so I try not to bitch too much) I've been even more focused on caloric intake and cardio. Some gray area here on how I feel about it, but the results since Sunday are hard for me to fathom. Since Sunday I have lost 3.8 pounds and almost a full percent of body fat. I'm not a fan of weighing as little as I do right now, it honestly kinda scares me; but with a high percentage of body fat and low weight, I've got to break past this skinny fat mode. As soon as I can start lifting again, the cardio will be cut back to about 25% of my gym time and only done in order to keep my calories for the day where I need to them be. At the end of the day progress is progress, just trying to be mindful to make it not be bad progress.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #1427
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Much appreciated! I'm looking forward to trying them out. I can see myself continuing to use them after the hand heals for certain lifts. Looking forward to using them on pull-up bar for lower abs. I can usually lift my hips for more reps than my grip will allow me to hang on to the bar. Forearms don't start burning before I'm finished, but diminished grip strength in the right has was a factor before.

Side note, since I haven't been able to lift for almost 2 weeks now; (it's really driving me insane but I also realize there are those out there with far worse injuries than mine, so I try not to bitch too much) I've been even more focused on caloric intake and cardio. Some gray area here on how I feel about it, but the results since Sunday are hard for me to fathom. Since Sunday I have lost 3.8 pounds and almost a full percent of body fat. I'm not a fan of weighing as little as I do right now, it honestly kinda scares me; but with a high percentage of body fat and low weight, I've got to break past this skinny fat mode. As soon as I can start lifting again, the cardio will be cut back to about 25% of my gym time and only done in order to keep my calories for the day where I need to them be. At the end of the day progress is progress, just trying to be mindful to make it not be bad progress.
I can understand. To get past the "skinny fat" mode.....you have to start putting on more muscle. Once you get to a point where your body fat is at an acceptable level for you, I would slowly transition into a maintenance phase. Add back just enough calories to where you are not losing any weight, but not gaining any weight. This will give you your baseline.

Then I would stay at that baseline, and start focusing on gym progress. It can be weight, reps, etc....but try and best your previous workout if even by a minuscule amount and ride that until progress stops for at least a few weeks.

Your body will actually build a little bit of muscle during the maintenance phase as a form of "recomp". One progress stops....even just an extra 100 calories a day can put you back into a positive balance for gaining.

Once you get to a certain point, you will find your body burning more calories than normal as more muscle means more calories needed to support it.

My training partner told me at the very start when I was asking all of these questions about bulking and cutting...he said no matter what you are doing with your calories....you always need to be in the mindset of trying to build muscle.
JP102462.00
      11-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #1428
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can understand. To get past the "skinny fat" mode.....you have to start putting on more muscle. Once you get to a point where your body fat is at an acceptable level for you, I would slowly transition into a maintenance phase. Add back just enough calories to where you are not losing any weight, but not gaining any weight. This will give you your baseline.

Then I would stay at that baseline, and start focusing on gym progress. It can be weight, reps, etc....but try and best your previous workout if even by a minuscule amount and ride that until progress stops for at least a few weeks.

Your body will actually build a little bit of muscle during the maintenance phase as a form of "recomp". One progress stops....even just an extra 100 calories a day can put you back into a positive balance for gaining.

Once you get to a certain point, you will find your body burning more calories than normal as more muscle means more calories needed to support it.

My training partner told me at the very start when I was asking all of these questions about bulking and cutting...he said no matter what you are doing with your calories....you always need to be in the mindset of trying to build muscle.
This is exactly the mindset I've had for the past little bit. Was making great progress for the exception of the last week and a half. I'm not sure if I've lost muscle or due to the loss of body fat it just appears that way, but the scales are showing my BMI is the same with the body fat % lowering so I'm assuming that's a good thing. It's killing me not doing weight resistance training right now. I'm considering taking some time off until I can start lifting. The way I see things is that as long as I'm still watching my caloric intake and keeping myself in a deficit, there isn't really a need to do any more cardio.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      11-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #1429
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
This is exactly the mindset I've had for the past little bit. Was making great progress for the exception of the last week and a half. I'm not sure if I've lost muscle or due to the loss of body fat it just appears that way, but the scales are showing my BMI is the same with the body fat % lowering so I'm assuming that's a good thing. It's killing me not doing weight resistance training right now. I'm considering taking some time off until I can start lifting. The way I see things is that as long as I'm still watching my caloric intake and keeping myself in a deficit, there isn't really a need to do any more cardio.
Agree 100% with the statement from your training partner.

In regards to your first blurb, establishing where that baseline is may be the difficult part. Going off the past weights that Rudi has given us, it seems like there is a large margin of muscle that can be gained. I'm trying to determine how I would go about it if I was in his shoes and knowing what I know now, and it really just boils down to the fact that you have a long road ahead of you. Hopefully you have already come to terms with this. I agree that a baseline needs to be determined, but that baseline form may be a little ways out.

Eat. Sleep. Rest (which going off some of your other posts in other threads you might need more of, but everyone is different as you can tell from RMTT who only sleeps for an hour or some shit haha).

I'm aware that one of your main concerns if keeping the excess fat off, but do me a favor and just stay away from the scales (both BMI and your normal) for a little while. Let the mirror do the talking. Weight is just a number, i've been through phases of looking like shit at 200lbs and looking like a greek god at 200 (obviously exaggerating, but nonetheless I hope you get the point).
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      11-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #1430
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since Sunday I have lost 3.8 pounds and almost a full percent of body fat.
OR was it water? Generally I sweat a ton more with cardio vs resistance.
Appreciate 0