BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

12-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #45
cooks02
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: I8 and M4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW M and BMWi won't cross pollinate. They will share ideas and technology and materials.
But offer an entirely different philosophy. They are perfect book ends to BMW.
Consistent without overlap.
I for one am VERY excited and have my fingers crossed for Detroit! Please SCOTT26, tell me I will see it in DETROIT!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #46
Kjenndal
Germany
Rep
Drives: -

I would love to see a full electric supercar. Hopefully we will see such a BMW concept. Anyway there seems to be better batteries for such a car in 2020. So the supercar is not heavy like a tank.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #47
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
I actually like the electric whine it makes. But apart from that the 3 cyl sounds a lot better than you would think. They should offer a performance exhaust to make it even louder if thats possible.
Honestly I for one (personal opinion here) DETEST loud engines, its almost as if you are trying to compensate for something. Always reminds me of kids who put the "kazoo" exhaust on 4 cylinders to make them "seem" fast.

I prefer/love cars that are silent but deadly! Bring on the sound of electric motor whine, its the sound of being passed (as a reviewer once wrote about the sound of valves on a high revving 6 cylinder M car).
Appreciate 4
      12-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #48
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
Honestly I for one (personal opinion here) DETEST loud engines, its almost as if you are trying to compensate for something. Always reminds me of kids who put the "kazoo" exhaust on 4 cylinders to make them "seem" fast.

I prefer/love cars that are silent but deadly! Bring on the sound of electric motor whine, its the sound of being passed (as a reviewer once wrote about the sound of valves on a high revving 6 cylinder M car).
I will have to pass you in my E63 M6 with Tubi X-pipe and Tubi section 3. It will bring a tear to your eye. I have had people follow me for miles (literally) to listen to the car and when I finally stop, tell me what they were doing. Loud but with a nice tone is VERY pleasant.

That said, quiet is the new loud! The i8 causes so many heads to be turned because there IS little sound. It is absolutely uncanny.

I love them both...just each at certain times!
Cheers-mk
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #49
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Beautiful exhaust music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post

Sound? But who doesn't like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #50
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Sound? But who doesn't like this?
I'm in a camp with both of you guys. Silent is the new loud. It's the ultimate cool when the guy in the WRX next to you wakes up the neighborhood with the profane gastro-intestinal sound from his chimney-sized tailpipe.

The real sound of old engines is a thing of beauty, though. (Nice 'Vette, btw). But over short or long, it will be confined to those classic cars the way big clouds of smoke and steam are now reserved for (and accepted on) century-old steam engines.
Appreciate 2