UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
For a contractor the Hydrawise is the best choice for numerous reasons
Battling one at work. It seems to be connected to the Wi-Fi from the front panel, but when I check the Wi-fi half the time it isn't connected. I try to ping the device from the Meraki portal and it doesn't respond. We are to the point we are going to replace the metal cover with a fiberglass to see if we get better reception. Seems like we can get the system engaged from a phone if we leave the door open about 50% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:02 PM   #1124
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
What recommendations do folks have for a lawn tractor?

I've got a little over half an acre that I currently use a 21" Honda push for. I enjoy working out in the yard, but with a newborn, it takes a bit too much time to cut, and I have started to consider a riding mower. I'll get a small trailer to bring around mulch, plants, and clean the yard up. May grab a pull behind aerator as well. So I see added benefit other than time and getting a cupholder.

I also figure that our next place will have a bit more space - maybe a few acres.

I was taking a look at a Husqvarna 18.5HP 42" (single cylinder w/hydrostatic)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Y...ely/1000368427

What else should I consider? Not interested in zero turn as I need more than cutting grass.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:14 PM   #1125
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Battling one at work. It seems to be connected to the Wi-Fi from the front panel, but when I check the Wi-fi half the time it isn't connected. I try to ping the device from the Meraki portal and it doesn't respond. We are to the point we are going to replace the metal cover with a fiberglass to see if we get better reception. Seems like we can get the system engaged from a phone if we leave the door open about 50% of the time.
It's a hydrawise with a metal door? Should be plastic. Best way to see if your signal is going to be strong enough is if your phone in the same spot can get 3 bars of WiFi, any less and it may not work. I have also seen HVAC units cause interference. We usually install boosters nearby no matter the device.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #1126
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post

I've got a little over half an acre that I currently use a 21" Honda push for. I enjoy working out in the yard, but with a newborn, it takes a bit too much time to cut, and I have started to consider a riding mower. I'll get a small trailer to bring around mulch, plants, and clean the yard up. May grab a pull behind aerator as well. So I see added benefit other than time and getting a cupholder.

I also figure that our next place will have a bit more space - maybe a few acres.

What else should I consider? Not interested in zero turn as I need more than cutting grass.

Get a rear engine rider. Only type of mower I can stand after using zero turns for about 10k hours over the years. Perfect for small lawns, easy to maintain and can fit in small spaces. They usually only have a 30 inch deck so they make smooth cuts.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:02 PM   #1127
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Get a rear engine rider. Only type of mower I can stand after using zero turns for about 10k hours over the years. Perfect for small lawns, easy to maintain and can fit in small spaces. They usually only have a 30 inch deck so they make smooth cuts.
Why a rear engine over a front engine tractor? Are the good for pulling a ~4ft aerator and other goodies?

A couple that I’ve been looking at would probably be slight overkill for my current yard, but could be considered a good one-time purchase when we get a little more space. Can’t believe I’m saying it, but I’m even considering a 22hp 42”
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 05:41 AM   #1128
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:

bought my Husqvarna 4 years ago and she get the job done. easy maintenance, easy oil changes. she does all the dethatching, aerating, lawn sweeping and fertilizer spreader with no problems. i even used her to clear snow one winter

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 4
      04-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #1129
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
bought my Husqvarna 4 years ago and she get the job done. easy maintenance, easy oil changes. she does all the dethatching, aerating, lawn sweeping and fertilizer spreader with no problems. i even used her to clear snow one winter

Nice! Looks like a 24hp model? Tough to tell on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #1130
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Looks like a 24hp model? Tough to tell on my phone.
This is the one I got
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Y...ely/1000368435
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #1131
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Laid down some bio char today. Let's see how it does. Cheers.
Attached Images

04-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #1132
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I should have taken “before” pics, but here are the “after” pics following live oak trims. They should be good for another 2-3 years.
Attached Images

04-03-2021, 03:39 AM   #1133
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'll probably put bio char as my 2nd app this year
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      04-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #1134
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Some of our current Flowers...
Attached Images

04-04-2021, 04:35 AM   #1135
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

This is kind of a fun one... I was at my parent's house this weekend and saw the "old man cactus" on the side of the house. This used to be about 5" and sit on my window sill when I lived there. It's probably about 24 years old.
Attached Images

bosstones1154.00
      04-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #1136
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
i'll probably put bio char as my 2nd app this year
Whatcha using? I heard the company that made CarbonX and the like went under. I didn't know others were making something in the same vein.

I've been wanting to rake through the grass in the back to break up any dead clumps and fluff matted sections to get more air and light down. The lawn sweeper didn't pan out so I ran the tine dethatcher in a crossing pattern in the back and side yards yesterday. I used the middle setting w/o any weight on it since I wasnt trying to actually dethatch. Manual raking would be better but damn my yard is big... I think the tines did a decent job. I used the lawn sweeper for clean-up.

Need to order my prodiamine and get my irrigation back up and running. I still need to deal w/ all the clumping fescue but that will probably be a season (or year) long activity.
      04-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #1137
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Whatcha using? I heard the company that made CarbonX and the like went under. I didn't know others were making something in the same vein.

I've been wanting to rake through the grass in the back to break up any dead clumps and fluff matted sections to get more air and light down. The lawn sweeper didn't pan out so I ran the tine dethatcher in a crossing pattern in the back and side yards yesterday. I used the middle setting w/o any weight on it since I wasnt trying to actually dethatch. Manual raking would be better but damn my yard is big... I think the tines did a decent job. I used the lawn sweeper for clean-up.

Need to order my prodiamine and get my irrigation back up and running. I still need to deal w/ all the clumping fescue but that will probably be a season (or year) long activity.

This is a good brand that manufactures biochar products. You can get the Carbon Pro G for lawn applications (SiteOne sells it) or use the actual Mirimichi for gardens.
https://mirimichigreen.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 08:43 PM   #1138
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

https://www.amazon.com/Andersons-Bio...7586942&sr=8-6

they say they don't ship to california, but low and behold- it was at my door in a few days.
      04-04-2021, 10:50 PM   #1139
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Quote:
I spent a good part of the day yesterday replacing sprinklers to 180* heads in the middle of the yard (pointing towards the wall). I capped three heads along the house side. Our house faces south and blocks the sun, so half of the lawn doesn't get enough water and half gets way too much. The slight slope doesn't help either.
My wife wants artificial grass, and I don't. I told her to give me the summer to resurrect the grass and she agreed. We also have two big dogs, which don't help.
Hey sorry if i missed some posts, i just saw this thread and wanted to chine in. What area do you live in?

Based on your images, you definitely have a soil compactuon/nutrient deficient lawn. If you aerate and apply some wetting agent, you will absolutely get turf going in those spots. You unfortunately, do not have a summer turf which will spread like Bermuda, kikuyia, st Augustine, so you will have to overseed it with Rye.

Many people on here mention overseeding as it is common scross the country, but based on your landscape it is not necessarily needed. Others overseed because they have perennial summer grass which goes dormant in the winter. They have no choice but to overseed with a perennial or even an annual rye so theh have green grass in the winter.

You appewr to be somewhere warm enough in the winter where you can have mildly green truf all year without overseeding.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      04-04-2021, 11:05 PM   #1140
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10c550i View Post
Hey sorry if i missed some posts, i just saw this thread and wanted to chine in. What area do you live in?

Based on your images, you definitely have a soil compactuon/nutrient deficient lawn. If you aerate and apply some wetting agent, you will absolutely get turf going in those spots. You unfortunately, do not have a summer turf which will spread like Bermuda, kikuyia, st Augustine, so you will have to overseed it with Rye.

Many people on here mention overseeding as it is common scross the country, but based on your landscape it is not necessarily needed. Others overseed because they have perennial summer grass which goes dormant in the winter. They have no choice but to overseed with a perennial or even an annual rye so theh have green grass in the winter.

You appewr to be somewhere warm enough in the winter where you can have mildly green truf all year without overseeding.
thanks for the insight! i live in south orange county, ca, so plenty of sun. one of the things i was discussing earlier in the thread was my house blocks much of the sun in the backyard. the grass tends to stay green regardless, but i have to watch the watering, otherwise the grass nearest to the house becomes a mud pit and the dogs tear it up pretty easily without trying.
another factor, is we have two big german shepherds. they tend to urinate on the outer edges of the yard which contributes to the patchy grass.
we did have a squirrel burrough in an area that sunk in, but i leveled it off somewhat.
i have been thinking about aeration... not sure if i should do the kind that removes plugs, or just spikes and pierces the ground.
      04-04-2021, 11:11 PM   #1141
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I guess it gets some afternoon sun, but it's for a very short time, and seasonal.
Attached Images

04-07-2021, 08:53 PM   #1142
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Planted around Feb this year. I love that orange and red mix!
Attached Images

04-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #1143
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Can someone tell me what type of grass I have? I'm terrible with this stuff. I load up pictures online and everything looks the same to me. The reason I ask is that I have patches to fix and every time I buy grass seed it's the wrong kind and doesn't match. I live in mid Michigan.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #1144
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Can someone tell me what type of grass I have?
Mexican
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17962.50