exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
God I miss the screaming V10 in my 2006 E60 M5; what a car. lol
That was a phenomenal car. The brake rotors looked like manhole covers.
      04-03-2024, 08:23 AM   #24
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok31 View Post
I’m in NYC with geico and 2 drivers and 2 cars is50 and MDX both ‘24 and 6 months is just under 2k
Ended up switching to Geico they gave me $2,100
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:39 AM   #25
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Ended up switching to Geico they gave me $2,100
Yup, I have a reasonable $836/year in Maryland from Geico. However, they identified my VIN as an X5 for the first two renewal periods; I still wonder if their actuarial tables are correct in their systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:50 PM   #26
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Most people haven’t commented on their actual coverage and deductible, which of course changes the premium drastically
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:42 PM   #27
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethjk View Post
Most people haven’t commented on their actual coverage and deductible, which of course changes the premium drastically

There are so many variables: age, driving record, zip code. I was going to post my coverages but it doesn’t matter. I was quoted anywhere from $1600/year to more than twice that by different companies, all else equal. So each person needs to shop around.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 1
Kennethjk137.50
      04-04-2024, 10:12 AM   #28
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethjk View Post
250/500 all around w/ $500 collision and comprehensive deductibles for the iX and a 10-year old Toyota. $1,275 for 6 mos.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 03:35 PM   #29
iXLagrange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 2024

Another variable not yet mentioned is our Insurance score. This is not the same as our credit score, although our credit data is included in it. Included also and key to the level of the score, is a measure of our driving history, known as our 'Clue report'. This is calculated by a company known as NexisLexis. While moving violations and accidents obviously affect that score, recent reports in the NYT claim that they can also sop up data the car reports to BMW, including from fun days at the race track, if of course BMW allows them to do so. The bottom line is that neighbors of the same age with identical vehicles but different insurance scores can pay very different rates to the same insurance company.

Last edited by iXLagrange; 04-09-2024 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1355.00
      04-09-2024, 03:48 PM   #30
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iXLagrange View Post
Another variable not yet mentioned is our Insurance score. This is not the same as our credit score, although our credit data is included in it. Included also and key to the level of the score, is a measure of our driving history, known as our 'Clue report'. This is calculated by a company known as NexisLexis. While moving violations and accidents obviously affect that score, recent reports in the NYT claim that they can also can sop up data the car reports to BMW if, of course, BMW allows them to do so.
I saw that report as well, I think it was also mentioned in a post here. I requested my data report from them last week, as soon as I get it I will look it over and report back if any of my BMW data shows up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 06:52 PM   #31
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Another variable not yet mentioned is our Insurance score. This is not the same as our credit score, although our credit data is included in it. Included also and key to the level of the score, is a measure of our driving history, known as our 'Clue report'. This is calculated by a company known as NexisLexis. While moving violations and accidents obviously affect that score, recent reports in the NYT claim that they can also sop up data the car reports to BMW, including from fun days at the race track, if of course BMW allows them to do so. The bottom line is that neighbors of the same age with identical vehicles but different insurance scores can pay very different rates to the same insurance company.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...smid=url-share
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:51 AM   #32
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Whilst BMW does gather a bunch of information about us, they do not report/sell driving data to LexisNexis or other data reporting companies.
GM has been recently caught red handed selling information on driving habits of their owners without those owners giving explicit permission, and had to scramble to try and limit the blowback.

Moto: be careful what you’re signing at delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:01 AM   #33
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I saw that report as well, I think it was also mentioned in a post here. I requested my data report from them last week, as soon as I get it I will look it over and report back if any of my BMW data shows up.
I just requested my LexisNexis “Consumer Disclosure Report”. It takes two weeks to arrive via regular mail. Here is the link to request this report if anybody is interested: https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 11:27 AM   #34
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

BMW does not sell any data to LexisNexis as far as I'm aware. However, the app that we have to use to monitor our driving behavior in order to get a discount likely does…
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2458.50
      04-10-2024, 12:27 PM   #35
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
BMW does not sell any data to LexisNexis as far as I'm aware. However, the app that we have to use to monitor our driving behavior in order to get a discount likely does…
You really should never accept to use an insurance company snooping device/app like that. No matter the savings they promise. Even if you were dealing with an insurance company that was being earnest in their desire to reduce your rates if you are a good driver (lol), the way they are designed to evaluate your driving is completely flawed. You may need to do a hard brake/acceleration to avoid an accident because someone else messed up, but it gets held against you instead. You may be actually not speeding in an area but their map data might have the wrong speed limit (how would YOU ever know) and they then ding you for speeding. You may be doing the safe thing and following the flow of traffic but above the posted limit, and get dinged for it. You may swerve to avoid the mother of all potholes, saving them from a 5000$ claim, and they'll ding you for it. You could cruise at a steady speed blowing through every stop sign and red light and get rewarded because you aren't braking/accelerating/swerving hard. They should not even be legal.
Appreciate 2
Pictor1652.50
roxxor1142.50
      04-10-2024, 12:50 PM   #36
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
You really should never accept to use an insurance company snooping device/app like that. No matter the savings they promise. Even if you were dealing with an insurance company that was being earnest in their desire to reduce your rates if you are a good driver (lol), the way they are designed to evaluate your driving is completely flawed. You may need to do a hard brake/acceleration to avoid an accident because someone else messed up, but it gets held against you instead. You may be actually not speeding in an area but their map data might have the wrong speed limit (how would YOU ever know) and they then ding you for speeding. You may be doing the safe thing and following the flow of traffic but above the posted limit, and get dinged for it. You may swerve to avoid the mother of all potholes, saving them from a 5000$ claim, and they'll ding you for it. You could cruise at a steady speed blowing through every stop sign and red light and get rewarded because you aren't braking/accelerating/swerving hard. They should not even be legal.
I voluntarily use the USAA app, and it monitors hard braking, phone handling, and either handsfree or handheld phone calls. It does not monitor speed or speed limits. The score is averaged over the entire policy period (six months for me), and it overall seems pretty fair. Yes, it will "ding" you for a hard braking episode; however, if you only have those rarely during the scoring period I have not found the score to be markedly impacted at all. I routinely earn the maximum discount (30%) or very close to it. And, participation is totally voluntary.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 01:24 PM   #37
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
I voluntarily use the USAA app, and it monitors hard braking, phone handling, and either handsfree or handheld phone calls. It does not monitor speed or speed limits. The score is averaged over the entire policy period (six months for me), and it overall seems pretty fair. Yes, it will "ding" you for a hard braking episode; however, if you only have those rarely during the scoring period I have not found the score to be markedly impacted at all. I routinely earn the maximum discount (30%) or very close to it. And, participation is totally voluntary.
You can view that positively, and surely that's how you see it, but I am a jerk and view it negatively. When you are a good driver, and for this argument, I will assume that you indeed are one, every penny they charge you over the maximum discount is due to their own incompetence at properly evaluating your driving. There are better, more lengthy/expensive ways to do this evaluation properly, but the whole point is that they look for reasons to charge you more and to build a profile on you for later use. If you happen to come across some guy who randomly decides to brake check you for 5 minutes straight and not let you pass, they could hold those hard braking events against you essentially forever. Sure their algorithm may take into account the frequency and not punish you for a one off drive, but that is wishful thinking and they will never tell you how their system works exactly.

I would simply find an insurance company that can match their discounted rate for the same coverage and drop them like a bag of rocks.
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1355.00
      04-11-2024, 11:03 AM   #38
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Good advice for sure and I totally agree. I gave it a try and so far, with my granny style of driving, I'm scoring 95 out of 100. The way this app works, I can flag any trip as a "passenger" when I don't like the score. If I do that, the trip won't count. I can also disable location sharing for the app on days where I just don't want to be monitored.

It's intrusive, that's for sure. One more thing to occupy the limited amount of space in my brain!
Appreciate 2
ggalanis2458.50
LVBMW1355.00
      04-13-2024, 08:53 PM   #39
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Liberty Mutual quoted me for 2024 IX M60 $6,800 for the year. Been with them 12 years with a clean driving record. Only had glass claim for safelight to fix windshield a few years ago after a rock on highway cracked it. Never had any accidents, dont have any points or tickets.

State Farm quoted me $2,902 for 6 months. For some weird reason they dont do yearly policies only 6 months.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Good luck shopping

My Geico policy ($250 Comp/$500 Collision deductible) $100k/300k limits plus $3M umbrella on the following is $2300 per 6 month total in Monmouth County, NJ.

2023 iX M60 ($117k)
2023 i7 x60 ($143k)
2024 Chevy Silverado High Country ($81k)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 10:26 AM   #40
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

The Hartford w/ AARP discount is quite competitive and folks should check it out. I'm paying under $2,600/year for both my iX and another car with 250/500 all around, $100 comp/$500 collision deductibles. This also includes "new car replacement" for the first 24 months after purchase date.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 03:08 PM   #41
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
The Hartford w/ AARP discount is quite competitive and folks should check it out. I'm paying under $2,600/year for both my iX and another car with 250/500 all around, $100 comp/$500 collision deductibles. This also includes "new car replacement" for the first 24 months after purchase date.
That does seem reasonable. Do you have your house with them also for the additional discount?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:23 AM   #42
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
That does seem reasonable. Do you have your house with them also for the additional discount?
I do not.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #43
iXLagrange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
A follow up article in the NYT, this time about GM's Chevy Bolts sending data to LexisNexis and the like.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/t...a-consent.html

Do you have your report yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 03:42 PM   #44
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Yes, instead of the report, they sent me a link and passcode where I can log in and view the report online. A lot of information in there, but after reading through it and searching the pages for BMW terms, it does not have anything on the report about data from the vehicle, telematics, etc.
Appreciate 0