08-09-2023, 02:35 PM   #265
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
My issue with Lotus is more simple.

Dealership network is nonexistent in LA. There used to be one in suburbs of LA (valley area) but they closed a little before COVID. That one was the closest and most convenient. The other is all the way out in Van Nuys. OC has one Lotus dealership. That is it.

That is not even close to being enough.
Yeah, it's too damn bad that Lotus is the one making this car. This is what the 2nd gen NSX should have been. Simple, pure, and a Cayman competitor.
      08-09-2023, 11:00 PM   #266
nicholasn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Coupe, '09 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
For sure and fair enough. I suppose it depends on the car, if it's a MX-5, personally, I'd definitely get the MT, but for this one, I'd wait for the I4+DCT.
After putting a few hundred miles on a CLA45 AMG which shares the same engine and transmission, I would recommend going with the V6/6MT. The only exception would be if it was going to be a track only car. The engine is absolutely nuts and fitting for a sports car, but the DCT has too many gears for normal street driving and generally doesn't match the engine very well. Unless Lotus changed the gear ratios substantially, the upper gears are toweringly tall and you end up bouncing around between 5th and 6th and 7th and 8th constantly even when just driving moderately down the interstate. 5th and 6th are too noisy for regular cruising but you have absolutely no power at all in 7th and 8th.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 12:05 AM   #267
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasn View Post
After putting a few hundred miles on a CLA45 AMG which shares the same engine and transmission, I would recommend going with the V6/6MT. The only exception would be if it was going to be a track only car. The engine is absolutely nuts and fitting for a sports car, but the DCT has too many gears for normal street driving and generally doesn't match the engine very well. Unless Lotus changed the gear ratios substantially, the upper gears are toweringly tall and you end up bouncing around between 5th and 6th and 7th and 8th constantly even when just driving moderately down the interstate. 5th and 6th are too noisy for regular cruising but you have absolutely no power at all in 7th and 8th.
Ya, I'm scratching my head as it has 8 gears? How many do they need? I don't think Harry's video made a big deal outta the tranny though either way.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:16 AM   #268
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M3 base

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
My issue with Lotus is more simple.

Dealership network is nonexistent in LA. There used to be one in suburbs of LA (valley area) but they closed a little before COVID. That one was the closest and most convenient. The other is all the way out in Van Nuys. OC has one Lotus dealership. That is it.

That is not even close to being enough.
Yes it’s a concern for me as well. Lotus of West Covina was only 2 miles from me and it would’ve been perfect if they were still around. Most Lotus owners just live with the small problems and take it to the dealer to get them all fixed at once. Luckily for the S2 Evora (400/GT) there weren’t any major issues that made it undriveable. I’m hoping that carries over to the Emira.

On the other hand, there are some highly regarded Lotus indies in SoCal including A1 in San Gabriel and of course Inokinetic in Murrieta.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:12 PM   #269
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNSKP View Post
Yes it’s a concern for me as well. Lotus of West Covina was only 2 miles from me and it would’ve been perfect if they were still around. Most Lotus owners just live with the small problems and take it to the dealer to get them all fixed at once. Luckily for the S2 Evora (400/GT) there weren’t any major issues that made it undriveable. I’m hoping that carries over to the Emira.

On the other hand, there are some highly regarded Lotus indies in SoCal including A1 in San Gabriel and of course Inokinetic in Murrieta.
Yeah losing the West Covina location is the reason why I no longer would consider Lotus. It is just way too damn far.