Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

12-29-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

It's a question about Chip's (no fish)

sorry just my British humor
Fish & Chips... get it ? LOL

OK I have a very old Tosh, running win7, sdd 8gig ram (highest)
I love it, it's one of many machines I have.

This may NOT seem logical, cost effective but I'm gonna ask the question

So my tosh does tend to get hot (on the L675's apparently this is common, every few months I'm blowing out the fan, stripping it down getting duster spray and cleaning it down.

In all the years (about 10years since I got it I've not had a crack at removing the chip and cleaning it up and applying new thermal paste. On the L675's the motherboard is upside down so not easy to get to and not for the faint hearted.

So I was going to attempt that BUT I thought if I'm doing that why not look at another processor ?

.......... >HERE IS THE QUESTION<

I recently found an old website, where there are a number of options of CPU's for my laptop.

It is currently running an Core i3 M350 so I thought ... hey why don't I try and replace the CPU, if I can get a used one from amazon etc. but then I read up about the SOCKET ? I have a list of CPU's below, will they fit the same socket.

Also I read that it's not just a case of upgrading the CPU but wether the BIOS is capable.

Any thoughts I'm happy to spend a 100 bucks or so on a CPU even if it fails.

I was looking at the M370 which I think is still the same socket and not too far out of spec.

I was wondering maybe my CPU has seen better days and is failing ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

The only difference seems to be the clock speed 2.4Ghz as opposed to 2.27Ghz
both have same sockets and power consumption (35w) same CPU cache L1,2,3 and memory
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

txs for indulging me !
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 10:14 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Chances are high that the processor in your Toshiba laptop is soldered onto the motherboard. Unless you're good at doing SMD/BGA board repair with a heat gun, you're looking at a dead end project.

Besides, the time/money spent on upgrading this laptop is better spent buying something more current; even a laptop that is only a couple of years old will run circles around your old one for not much more money spent in attempting to upgrade it.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      12-30-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

txs for the input. I "did" see a video of the same LT as mine (exact same model) and the guy did a CPU swap, which is what got my thinking, he just pulled the cpu out no soldering, problem is it is a pain and if I'm doing it I'd rather do it once, I've seen a couple of CPU's on amazon for about $40 so it may even be worth doing it and chancing 40 bucks.

Oh and sure I get the point about getting newer models, for sure, but this is a win7 machine and I have specific software on it which won't run on a win10 machine.

I actually have MULTIPLE machine:
1xwin10 (work lenovo)
1xHP I use for ista
1xdell lat win10
and of course the Tosh.
Also 2 other machines,
1 win7 which runs family video's non-stop like a photoa lbum
and a small nother chromebook thing I run Netflix and youtube on the 60" HD TV
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #6
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

LOL and totally OT I had to look up Penis Chaser (from your sig)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Interesting that the laptop is that old and still uses a somewhat "modern" processor that is socketed. Many manufacturers have gone away from socketed processors because of the packaging penalty. Having a socket forces a certain thickness of the laptop.

And LOL, that quote as you can see was from Lups. When I saw her post that up, I busted out laughing and had to make it my signature.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      12-30-2022, 06:08 PM   #8
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Yes agreed modern thin laptops can't use sockets.

The L675 I bought in 2011 I wanna say, when I landed in Canada
my first Laptop, my desktop was in transit from the UK and had to wait nearly 3-6 months before it landed with the rest of my possesions.
So I needed something

I think at the time, is was on sale so it was not a new line but on it's way out and as you know Tosh, no longer make laptops !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Interesting that the laptop is that old and still uses a somewhat "modern" processor that is socketed. Many manufacturers have gone away from socketed processors because of the packaging penalty. Having a socket forces a certain thickness of the laptop.

And LOL, that quote as you can see was from Lups. When I saw her post that up, I busted out laughing and had to make it my signature.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 09:59 AM   #9
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Hey !

So I replaced the CPU, it di make quite a differece, went from an 13 m350 to 13 m370
the old paste was like chaulk, the CPU run's about 20deg's cooler
laggyness is much better
youtube especially
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00