BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-01-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

I charge at home mostly, but have a conversion dongle you can buy to charge at Tesla.
I hear that it doesn't work with some Tesla stations because of a data connection from the Tesla charge station to confirm you can charge/Tesla warranty stuff. Some do work I've found, I think superchargers don't work on my i3. Was so scared to plug in.

Anybody tried this thing in a pinch?
Probably would be great for traveling, scared I'm going to kill my car though so don't do it often.

Feels like eBay shopping while at staying at Jeff Bezos' house.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Tesla (Musk on twitter) has been talking about opening up their charging network gradually for other car brands later this year. No specific details yet.
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Those Tesla-to-J1772 adapters only work for Tesla Home and "Destination" (read: hotel) chargers, the equivalent of Level 2 in the standards-based EV charger ecosystem. They do *not* work for Tesla's Superchargers (Level 3).

Unless you frequently stay at B&B or hotels that only offer Tesla "Destination" chargers or have a Tesla and home charger in your garage, I'd save the money because this adapter isn't very useful.....
      10-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #4
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

My i3 wants a 120kw battery
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vreihen1615098.50
      10-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

I used the Tesla Tap adapter on my 2019 quite a bit. Worked great, no problems. Gonna get another for my 2021.
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Those Tesla-to-J1772 adapters only work for Tesla Home and "Destination" (read: hotel) chargers, the equivalent of Level 2 in the standards-based EV charger ecosystem. They do *not* work for Tesla's Superchargers (Level 3).

Unless you frequently stay at B&B or hotels that only offer Tesla "Destination" chargers or have a Tesla and home charger in your garage, I'd save the money because this adapter isn't very useful.....
It might not be useful if you’re in an area with a ton of standard plugs. But if you’re traveling or don’t have a lot of choices, it’s a life saver.
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #7
BL 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REx, 2018 Tesla P3D

Been using a Tesla Tap everyday for 2 years straight not. Never a problem, other than the Model 3 is jealous.
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2021, 05:22 AM   #8
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL 5 View Post
Been using a Tesla Tap everyday for 2 years straight not. Never a problem, other than the Model 3 is jealous.
That's it, I'm going for the dongle.
If I ever get a hair up my but to start traveling with the i3, I want all the options I can get to charge.

Anyone ever use plugshare or one of those apps and limped to the place just to find the charger was broken?
Appreciate 2
soheil64.50
      10-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #9
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
If I ever get a hair up my but to start traveling with the i3, I want all the options I can get to charge.

Anyone ever use plugshare or one of those apps and limped to the place just to find the charger was broken?
Yeah that’s happened a few times to me, but I made sure I had plenty of range to try other chargers in the area. I don’t think I’ve ever showed up to a charger with no miles to spare. I can say that in the past few years charger reliability in my area has significantly improved..
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #10
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
Quote:

Yeah that's happened a few times to me, but I made sure I had plenty of range to try other chargers in the area. I don't think I've ever showed up to a charger with no miles to spare. I can say that in the past few years charger reliability in my area has significantly improved..
I had a dream last night that I somehow fell asleep in the car while driving, the car drove itself to a parking lot, and I woke up in the dream with no charge but had a full tank of REX. Woke up in real life just as I was yelling "hey Siri" into my Apple Watch to look for charging station in the dream. Damn.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #11
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had a dream last night that I somehow fell asleep in the car while driving, the car drove itself to a parking lot, and I woke up in the dream with no charge but had a full tank of REX. Woke up in real life just as I was yelling "hey Siri" into my Apple Watch to look for charging station in the dream. Damn.

How many L3 CCS stations you around? EVGo has been doing a lot in the central VA area for me, that’s helped a lot.
But yah, highly recommend the Tesla Tap! And you don’t have to just use it in a pinch… you can incorporate it as a routine L2 charge method
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How many L3 CCS stations you around? EVGo has been doing a lot in the central VA area for me, that’s helped a lot.
But yah, highly recommend the Tesla Tap! And you don’t have to just use it in a pinch… you can incorporate it as a routine L2 charge method
I have about 5 level 3 charging stations around me here in Atlanta area.
Yes, Tesla tap will be added to the charging accessories coming to the rescue in a pinch.

I've been also using the "Occasional use charger" to top off the car at home.
I'm too cheap to get a level 2 charger installed right now. Might have to sweet talk an electrician …..I know just who will do it too…. To install a 240v tap without shorting put my house.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 07:06 AM   #13
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Tesla tap will be added to the charging accessories coming to the rescue in a pinch.

I'm too cheap to get a level 2 charger installed right now. Might have to sweet talk an electrician …..I know just who will do it too…. To install a 240v tap without shorting put my house.
Also don’t forget, if you have a L2 charger installed before the end of the year, you can get a tax CREDIT of up to $1,000. If you play your cards right, you could essentially get a L2 charger for free.
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #14
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Also don’t forget, if you have a L2 charger installed before the end of the year, you can get a tax CREDIT of up to $1,000. If you play your cards right, you could essentially get a L2 charger for free.
Hey,
Got any links where I can read to get educated on the credit ? Govt website?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:42 PM   #15
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey,
Got any links where I can read to get educated on the credit ? Govt website?
https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/tax-credit/

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8911
Appreciate 2
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
soheil64.50
      10-18-2021, 01:52 AM   #16
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

There are several parking lots + restaurants in our city who have complimentary Tesla destination (L2?) chargers and I've always hated them for discriminating 😂 I had no idea that you can use an adapter and plug your i3 into them! How much are these adapter/converters? Anyone has a model to recommend? Also I can guess that the car will latch in to them while charging (just like any normal L2 connector) so no one can steal them, right? But what will happen when the car is fully charged? Would anyone be able to easily remove and take them?
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #17
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soheil View Post
There are several parking lots + restaurants in our city who have complimentary Tesla destination (L2?) chargers and I've always hated them for discriminating 😂 I had no idea that you can use an adapter and plug your i3 into them! How much are these adapter/converters? Anyone has a model to recommend? Also I can guess that the car will latch in to them while charging (just like any normal L2 connector) so no one can steal them, right? But what will happen when the car is fully charged? Would anyone be able to easily remove and take them?
Tesla Tap has been great for me. $140-$150 I think. I read somewhere that some adapters aren’t rated for a long, continuous power output and only allow charging for a few hours. The tesla tap was NOT one of those, it allowed sustained charging rates. I’ve done over 4 hours charging and had no issues.

They wouldn’t be able to remove the adapter if the car / charge port were locked.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #18
soheil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Tesla Tap has been great for me. $140-$150 I think. I read somewhere that some adapters aren’t rated for a long, continuous power output and only allow charging for a few hours. The tesla tap was NOT one of those, it allowed sustained charging rates. I’ve done over 4 hours charging and had no issues.

They wouldn’t be able to remove the adapter if the car / charge port were locked.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I see some Lectron adapters on Amazon with relatively good ratings for about $160. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #19
BL 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REx, 2018 Tesla P3D

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check them out. I see some Lectron adapters on Amazon with relatively good ratings for about $160. Does anyone have any experience with them?
I have tried both. I’d avoid the Lectron, get the Tesla Tap. I bought a Lectron as it was on sale @ Amazon. Ended up sending it back.

Today I use a Tesla Tap daily on a Tesla HPWC gen2 (rated up to 80A). It’s plug and charge, the Tesla Tap and i3’s BMS communicate to Tesla Tap to HPWC, adjust to 30A. It just works. The Lecrton required me to downgrade HWPC to 40A, which can be done via a dipswitch.

My point here is the Tesla Tap does all the adjustments for me, Lectron does not. You could run into a situation where a Tesla HPWC setup like mine and won’t work with the Lectron.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 3
soheil64.50
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
ZHPizza23.00
      12-31-2021, 10:56 PM   #20
soheil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have tried both. I'd avoid the Lectron, get the Tesla Tap. I bought a Lectron as it was on sale @ Amazon. Ended up sending it back.

Today I use a Tesla Tap daily on a Tesla HPWC gen2 (rated up to 80A). It's plug and charge, the Tesla Tap and i3's BMS communicate to Tesla Tap to HPWC, adjust to 30A. It just works. The Lecrton required me to downgrade HWPC to 40A, which can be done via a dipswitch.

My point here is the Tesla Tap does all the adjustments for me, Lectron does not. You could run into a situation where a Tesla HPWC setup like mine and won't work with the Lectron.

Hope this helps.
This definitely helps, thanks! I will try to get a Tesla tap then.

Additionally, have you noticed any side eyes or complaints from Tesla/property owners for connecting your i3 into a Tesla charger?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #21
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have tried both. I’d avoid the Lectron, get the Tesla Tap. I bought a Lectron as it was on sale @ Amazon. Ended up sending it back.

Today I use a Tesla Tap daily on a Tesla HPWC gen2 (rated up to 80A). It’s plug and charge, the Tesla Tap and i3’s BMS communicate to Tesla Tap to HPWC, adjust to 30A. It just works. The Lecrton required me to downgrade HWPC to 40A, which can be done via a dipswitch.

My point here is the Tesla Tap does all the adjustments for me, Lectron does not. You could run into a situation where a Tesla HPWC setup like mine and won’t work with the Lectron.

Hope this helps.
Sweet head's up. Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #22
2mAn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & an old Alfa

Besides the Tesla Tap, what else would you need to actually charge at the Tesla stations? Specific App or just insert card?
Appreciate 0