BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-26-2018, 12:28 AM   #1
kenneymac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is :)

BMW i3 Dome Light

Does anyone know how to take down the center dome light? I want to replace it with something brighter.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
reductase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
Need a trim removal tool - the plastic cover on mine was really tight to remove. It's only a few dollars on amazon, prevents damage to tabs or headliner fabric.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
kenneymac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is :)

Do you know if the light moves? I tried pushing around and grabbing it with a tool it's in there pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneymac View Post
Do you know if the light moves? I tried pushing around and grabbing it with a tool it's in there pretty good.
I had to remove mine to hard-wire Valentine 1 radar detector.
The clips on the light are pretty stout, thus you need to give it a good push downward (I used 2 flat-head screw drivers), before they release. It will come out.

I never needed to take it apart, so not sure if brighter lighting can be arranged easily.

a
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP 11X5 M Sport 20 I3

Replaced the dome light!

Just purchased a 2018 REX and the dome light was in need of a brighter bulb. Get a plastic removal tool and from behind the light lens ie: closest to the windshield there will be 2 clips, in the picture where the tape is. Push each clip in and pull down from the back. The dome light assembly will come out and there will be a plug that will be connected to it. No need to remove it, flip the dome light around and you will see a black plug in the middle of the assembly and just turn it counter clockwise and there you will find a 194 bulb. I used a 194 canbus superwhite led bulb and it is so much brighter now. The bulb dims just like the oem bulb. To put the dome light housing back, there will be 2 small white plastic pins on the front of the dome light that will go in first then push up in the rear of the dome light until you hear a click on each side. Thats it! There is no need to remove the black SOS cover or the cover that surrounds it. I took a few pictures so hopefully this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I'd like to change mine to the same blue that comes on when you unlock the car!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #7
slamboogie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'd like to change mine to the same blue that comes on when you unlock the car!

Agree. I'd like to change mine to the same blue that comes on when the car is unlock.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
diversity83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryv View Post
Just purchased a 2018 REX and the dome light was in need of a brighter bulb. Get a plastic removal tool and from behind the light lens ie: closest to the windshield there will be 2 clips, in the picture where the tape is. Push each clip in and pull down from the back. The dome light assembly will come out and there will be a plug that will be connected to it. No need to remove it, flip the dome light around and you will see a black plug in the middle of the assembly and just turn it counter clockwise and there you will find a 194 bulb. I used a 194 canbus superwhite led bulb and it is so much brighter now. The bulb dims just like the oem bulb. To put the dome light housing back, there will be 2 small white plastic pins on the front of the dome light that will go in first then push up in the rear of the dome light until you hear a click on each side. Thats it! There is no need to remove the black SOS cover or the cover that surrounds it. I took a few pictures so hopefully this helps.
I'm guessing this is the same process for the back dome lighting? Also, has your LED bulbs failed you since posting or still going strong? I only ask since a lot of folks deal with failed bulbs. :/ I'm thinking of going Philips Ultinon LED in white. Just wish I could do something about the door handle lighting. I have the 2019 i3 BEV with Deka interior...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP 11X5 M Sport 20 I3

Headliner lense removal

Sorry for the late response diversity83. My led bulb up front has been going strong. As for removing the back headliner lense here are some pictures. U will need a plastic tool to push in the metal clamp on the driver side of the light and pull down. I switched to a LED light assembly that i bought from the dealer, i was tired of the headliner LED bulb going out. Once the lense is out you can unscrew the bulb and install your led bulb.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:45 AM   #10
aldorien
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Smile Thank you

Very interesting stuff. Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
diversity83
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryv View Post
Sorry for the late response diversity83. My led bulb up front has been going strong. As for removing the back headliner lense here are some pictures. U will need a plastic tool to push in the metal clamp on the driver side of the light and pull down. I switched to a LED light assembly that i bought from the dealer, i was tired of the headliner LED bulb going out. Once the lense is out you can unscrew the bulb and install your led bulb.
Thank you! I'm going to try another attempt this weekend. I tried twice for the front map light and gave up since I felt like I was going to break something. Found a replacement guide from another post that shows a different method for the map lights. I'll post it here when I get home.

Larryv, you wouldn't happen to have made a video on this installation process, eh?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
diversity83
Registered
Rep

This:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i...9ma6q7k_ZCn0mQ
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:58 AM   #13
seikhmusab
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
I had to remove mine to hard-wire Valentine 1 radar detector.
The clips on the light are pretty stout, thus you need to give it a good push downward (I used 2 flat-head screw drivers), before they release. It will come out.

I never needed to take it apart, so not sure if brighter lighting can be arranged easily.

a
Thanks for this Great Guide
Appreciate 0