BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Experiences after a couple of months ownership

I'm two months in after buying this car to replace two very different vehicles, one a V8 performace car and the second a diesel commuter so here are my findings.

Firstly, well it certainly seems to be doing well satisfying both camps and as many have said, not many cars are available that do 'both' and also have the looks. Being able to drive a performance car with supercar looks with cheap running costs is such a bonus, previously unheard of.

I am ok with the fact that the electric side is meant to be a suplementary system for additional assistance and in my opinion, it does work very well.
It isn't meant to be an electric ECO wagon and you can't compare it to Tesla as may people seem to do.

Any tips for the following guys?

I drive around 8 miles each way to work.
I leave at the same time each morning and the departure time is set with battery precondition also. I have it set to my actual 'leave' time give or take 5 mins or so! (do you guys set it any earlier?)

The weather here in the UK has now dropped to the low single figures (around 4-6 degrees) but not freezing temperatures just yet.

The cabin is nice and warm when i leave but the range has dropped from 14-15 miles without departure time set, to only about 11-12 miles?
When i first plug it in, it does indicate a full charge expected of 13-14 miles.

I thought 'set departure with precondition' uses the house electricity while it's plugged in and also conditions the batteries for better range? It seems it is less range for some reason with this function?

If i drive to work and back in ECO PRO, i can just about get home before the range has dropped to zero and i repeat the charging process.

I didn't buy this for economy but i'm just doing some trials to see what it is cabable of. I'm sure when the weather is warmer, I'll get a couple more miles range.
I'm told it depends on how it has been driven previously, but what gives you better range? Surely ECO PRO with a light foot is the best scenario?

Good to hear your thoughts please guys as this is the only thing that i'm trying to get to grips with!

Also, just for when it does get icy or snow, does it sense automatically when it needs full 4WD? i assume at the moment, it is switching between 2WD and 4WD for economy? Pure electric is only front 2WD where sport is full 4WD.

Last edited by Swiss tone; 11-24-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
jojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1989 M3

When you precondition, i.e the temperature, it uses more battery than it can charge so you get less range. Without the climatization you will have full range.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
When you precondition, i.e the temperature, it uses more battery than it can charge so you get less range. Without the climatization you will have full range.
Thanks JoJo, seems daft that it doesn't just draw the power while it's plugged into the house to climatize then, i thought that was the idea so it doesn't use the batteries??
Can't be without this now that iv'e used it!

I have used the 'climatize now' on the app when it's in the work car park but not plugged in. I expect it to drop the range then.

If the car is fully charged and still plugged in, it doesn't need to charge any more and should have a diverter to just draw direct, just like having an electric heater on an extention lead sat in your car!

I think they got that very wrong then as doesn't make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
Thanks JoJo, seems daft that it doesn't just draw the power while it's plugged into the house to climatize then, i thought that was the idea so it doesn't use the batteries??

I have used the 'climatize now' on the app when it's in the work car park but not plugged in. I expect it to drop the range then.

If the car is fully charged and still plugged in, it doesn't need to charge any more and should have a diverter to just draw direct, just like having an electric heater on an extention lead sat in your car!

If the car is plugged in when you pre-condition, it uses the mains not the car's battery. That way you can set off on your journey with full battery capacity and a nicely warmed or cooled cabin (depending on heating settings for that time of year).

The drop in range that you are seeing is more likely due to the colder weather which affects battery capacity and also the fact that you probably have your heating on whilst driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

Yep, I get 13/14 miles showing in winter and a got record 19miles showing this last summer due to the weather. I’m not sure the car switches between 2 and 4 wheel drive in normal modes. In comfort your RWD with the engine >45mph and FWD with the electric<35mph. I don’t know if the electric automatically kicks in when traction is lost at the rear. Certainly, the ICE doesn’t kick in when traction is lost from the front (an annoying and regular experience). I assume full 4WD is only really evident when your booting it in sport.

I don’t find eco pro adds much – maybe 1 or 2mpg but just makes the car feel lethargic.

Happy to be corrected.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
If the car is plugged in when you pre-condition, it uses the mains not the car's battery. That way you can set off on your journey with full battery capacity and a nicely warmed or cooled cabin (depending on heating settings for that time of year).

The drop in range that you are seeing is more likely due to the colder weather which affects battery capacity and also the fact that you probably have your heating on whilst driving.
I will have to turn off the pre-condition and see if it makes any difference then as the weather is much the same temp at the mo.

With regard to the 4WD, has anyone used it throughout the winter in the ice/snow? good to hear how it coped. My friend has winter tyres on his. It's very low and my drive is a slight incline. My 4 series was rear WD only and struggled!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
Quote:

I am not certain about it since I had my car for 5 years and it will draw from the battery while recharging. The car is fully charged, I start preconditioning and the internal battery starts depleting and the charging kicks off. I have less of a range when I precondition vs. non preconditioning the car in similar weather.

Maybe the newer cars are different, mine is 2014 and I love preconditioning in cold Chicago fall days before I store it when snow arrives, so it is worth it regardless of remaining range ......
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

The i8 has the same characteristics every battery powered car has. Loss of capacity in cold temperatures. What can be done about it is also the same:

- park inside and warm if possible
- plug in directly when you arrive and with warm batteries
- precondition car while plugged in using the mains

The i8 is basically only an AWD in sports mode. With a trick it can be in comfort too: enable holding the battery charge, that will fire up the ICE. I hotkeyed that function for whenever I want AWD.

It's a pretty confident car on snow, especially because of the comparably low weight. All cars have 4 wheel brakes but downhill a 1,6 t i8 is a different story compared e.g. to a Tesla MS with 2,3 tons. But careful with the slim front tyres that understeer even more if not in AWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

We all did this in the first few months of ownership then acknowledged that the range is so tiny that you just can't be bothered with faffing about. Just charge when convenient, and forget about range, mpgs, etc and just drive the damn thing. Most of the time I use fuel to charge the battery (in sport) and plug in about 2 times a week even though the plug is 2 m from where I park. 4 years later as a daily driver and I'm at an average of 39mpg.
Appreciate 1
evanevery1111.00
      11-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post
We all did this in the first few months of ownership then acknowledged that the range is so tiny that you just can't be bothered with faffing about. Just charge when convenient, and forget about range, mpgs, etc and just drive the damn thing. Most of the time I use fuel to charge the battery (in sport) and plug in about 2 times a week even though the plug is 2 m from where I park. 4 years later as a daily driver and I'm at an average of 39mpg.
Just checked my app and my "All Trips" average is 70.3mpg which is pretty impressive for this kind of car ...but I do plug-in whenever I am at home.

Last edited by fishpond; 11-15-2019 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting guys.

I’ve switched off the departure precondition tonight so will be interesting if I get any more range in the morning so will let you know.

Yes, appreciate ‘just drive it’ and I will, just doing some trials so I know the options! I guess it doesn’t make a massive difference and happy if getting decent mpg.

Regarding the 4WD, I do have the ‘maintain charge’ on a ‘hot key’ so will try that to get 4WD instead of sport mode if snowy which should keep the engine on. Seems to be the best option but again, I need to try it when I need to. surprised it doesn’t have some sort of ‘bad weather’ button just so clearer.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Quote:
Interesting guys.

I’ve switched off the departure precondition tonight so will be interesting if I get any more range in the morning so will let you know.

Yes, appreciate ‘just drive it’ and I will, just doing some trials so I know the options! I guess it doesn’t make a massive difference and happy if getting decent mpg.

Regarding the 4WD, I do have the ‘maintain charge’ on a ‘hot key’ so will try that to get 4WD instead of sport mode if snowy which should keep the engine on. Seems to be the best option but again, I need to try it when I need to. surprised it doesn’t have some sort of ‘bad weather’ button just so clearer.
4wd kicks in if it detects slippage, but can shift it to sport to force 4WD when needed - also very useful at junctions where there can sometime be hesitancy in e-drive. Knock back to normal once pulled out of the junction.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting guys.

Not sure how the maintain charge option gives you 4WD? The maintain charge is not using electric motor to maintain charge...unless the poster meant you get a brief period of 4WD as the drive swaps between FWD and RWD?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Maintain charge turns the ICE engine on permanently together with the electrical engine so the above statement is correct and it's a way to get AWD without putting the car into sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #15
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Well guys,

I didn't have the precondition set this morning and i got 13 miles range so at least two more than when it is set and plugged in overnight.

So this feature does use the battery power if set with climatize!

Very odd since its connected to 240v supply!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #16
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well guys,

I didn't have the precondition set this morning and i got 13 miles range so at least two more than when it is set and plugged in overnight.

So this feature does use the battery power if set with climatize!

Very odd since its connected to 240v supply!
That's not the case in my car. I have full charge when I set off after a plugged-in precondition.

It's worth noting that the range shown on the dash is just a estimate based on how you have previously driven it. It will take into account driving style, whether you had the a/c on, hills, ...etc. It is not an accurate range reading - it's more of an estimate to give you some indication.

As a rough guide, the four segments on the battery bar give me around 14-16 miles in the winter even though the range only ever shows 12 or 13. As such if I have one full bar remaining but the car is telling me that I only have 1 mile of range (which it sometimes does), I know that it really has 3-4 miles left in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #17
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Maintain charge turns the ICE engine on permanently together with the electrical engine so the above statement is correct and it's a way to get AWD without putting the car into sport mode.
I have no idea so you may be correct. Is this in any way different than COMFORT mode driving above 45mph where the ICE is running? I just assumed that the MAINTAIN CHARGE option stopped the ICE switching off at as you slow below 36mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

As I understand it, the MAINTAIN option simply ensures that the ICE stays running if/when the battery charge drops below the specified level of charge.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, and it can be used to have AWD also at speeds when in comfort typically the ICE turns off. E.g. slowly driving up a slope, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Yes, and it can be used to have AWD also at speeds when in comfort typically the ICE turns off. E.g. slowly driving up a slope, etc.
That pretty much goes without saying as the ICE drives the rear wheels and the Electric Motor drives the front...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #21
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
That pretty much goes without saying as the ICE drives the rear wheels and the Electric Motor drives the front...
Yep, nobody is disputing that. The discussion was about if the car continues using the electric motor (even when told to maintain the battery) when it detects the rear wheels braking traction. Which makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #22
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Don't really understand the Question. In EV mode, there is no traction from the back. In comfort mode, there is also only traction from the back if there is high power demand or if battery hold is enabled. Else the front axle helplessly looses front traction like a FWD with VERY poor ESP. So you will only get power from both engines and at low speed / throttle in Sports or battery hold hybrid modes. Else the i8 is a FWD EV.

Last edited by Leto1701; 11-16-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0