BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Flat tire-- Help

Hey everyone, the other evening I hit a pothole and my back right tire blew out on my i8 roadster. By pure luck there was a 24 hour tire ship 6 blocks away and I drove there since they had my tire size. They put on a new tire with the specified dimensions however it wasnt a Bridgestone Potenza tire.

Will there be any issue driving? I assume the Bridgestone Potenza's are way more durable then a regular tire so I would love any input you guys can give me. Or is it all the same shit and ill be fine driving on one non Bridgestone Potenza tire?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
The tire you installed will definitely hold air and get you around the block. However it is the overwhelming recommendation from people knowledgeable about performance tires that the tires match.
There are numerous tread design and tire compounds, each one being different from the other will have an effect on handling, wet and dry performance, stopping, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
The tire you installed will definitely hold air and get you around the block. However it is the overwhelming recommendation from people knowledgeable about performance tires that the tires match.
There are numerous tread design and tire compounds, each one being different from the other will have an effect on handling, wet and dry performance, stopping, etc.
Hey thanks for the reply. The tire shop guy said the only difference is the brand name. : Ill call bmw and inquire
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Just a couple of quotes from the Tire Rack website that may help you in your questions and discussion with who ever.

“As a general rule, tires should not be mixed on any vehicle unless specified as acceptable by the tire or vehicle manufacturer. Drivers should avoid mixing tires with different tread patterns, internal constructions or sizes, and use identical tires on all of their vehicle's wheel positions in order to maintain the best control and stability.

Because tires play such an important role in every vehicle's comfort qualities and handling capabilities, it is always best to drive on tires that are identical in every detail, including tire brand, model, size and remaining tread depth. Anything else involves some type of compromise.”
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

What brand did you get?
Appreciate 0