11-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Drivetrain malfunction / dead cell block

my i3 started to have lower and lower range until on full charge the range was 19 miles and the drivetrain malfunction light came up and stayed.

came home from a 3 weeks trip from china and the car battery was at 0% when i had made sure to charge it to 100% before i left.

over the last two months the range started to decrease from 70 miles down to 55 an down to 40 before it hit 19. took one week for car to be diagnosed with PUMA case but it runs normal again, just got it back: dead cell block 6 replaced.

just an FYI to the forums; i really like my i3 and
missed it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
my i3 started to have lower and lower range until on full charge the range was 19 miles and the drivetrain malfunction light came up and stayed.

came home from a 3 weeks trip from china and the car battery was at 0% when i had made sure to charge it to 100% before i left.

over the last two months the range started to decrease from 70 miles down to 55 an down to 40 before it hit 19. took one week for car to be diagnosed with PUMA case but it runs normal again, just got it back: dead cell block 6 replaced.

just an FYI to the forums; i really like my i3 and
missed it.
Awesome! I have done a few and pretty common for i3s. Glade you are back in the road again!
      11-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmerbrain View Post
Awesome! I have done a few and pretty common for i3s. Glade you are back in the road again!
are they really common? the entire battery tray laid out in the shop while they ordered the replacement battery. but all good now, range has been updated with new algorithms for the guess o meter.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
Quote:
are they really common? the entire battery tray laid out in the shop while they ordered the replacement battery. but all good now, range has been updated with new algorithms for the guess o meter.
I have saw 4-5 changed in the past year or so. The cooling grid is pretty common too. The CSCs and harness are another. But I also see all the broken cars.. haha
      11-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have saw 4-5 changed in the past year or so. The cooling grid is pretty common too. The CSCs and harness are another. But I also see all the broken cars.. haha
The weird thing was at delivery i think the cell or block might have been ailing already. Mileage estimates started to degrade over time, until it got to about 40 miles on a full charge, and the straw that broke the i3's back was 19 miles on a full charge

They're amazing cars though, glad you know how fix them!
Appreciate 0