Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
buddybash
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Bad Expierence at BMW San Luis Obispo (Ryan Pullara is why people hate dealers)

I ordered my M2C in late April from BMW of San Luis Obispo and worked with a guy named Mitch (great guy and very easy to work with), we agreed pricing would be MSRP and I provided a deposit for the car.

Fast forward to July 29th (Thursday) and I get a call from Ryan Pullara (Sales GM) that my car has arrived. Ryan and I chat for a bit and I confirm that I will be there Saturday morning to collect my car.

Around 5 o’clock (on the same day) I get a follow-up call from Ryan and he beginnings with asking me about some financial terms that then leads to him casually dropping in the car needs to be picked up within 24 hours. It doesn’t register at first, but right as I am ready to end the call it hits and I start to clarify what he means by 24 hours. Ryan and I go back and forth for a bit, which then leads to him saying he needs to call me back. The best part was he had the audacity to ask why I was getting frustrated, to which I responded with "lets switch places and imagine me trying to pass this over on you, would you be jumping for joy?"

He was basically claiming that if I’m not there in 24 hours they can sell the car to someone else even though this made up policy isn’t written anywhere, it was never mentioned at the time of order, and he’s getting offend that I’m getting wound up.

He calls me back saying he spoke to the GM and I have 48 hours, so no later then 5pm Saturday. It’s ironic that he mentions the GM because when I told him I need to speak to GM that runs the dealer he said he’s the GM and there is no one else to talk to.

Basically, to avoid any surprises I drove Friday morning to pick up the car and convenient enough Ryan wasn’t there. Ryan is what you call a baby back bitch and the reason people hate dealers. I filed a formal complaint with BMW because no one should have to deal with a Ryan.

Taped up front end for the drive home.
Now just to wait on PPF and coating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 12
imOFP207.50
chris7197331.50
xlover2191.00
pyshin110.50
JTO245271.50
Patton2502938.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      08-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
That crap happens all the time. I used to be in the business and you wouldn't believe the crap I heard on a daily basis.

Having said that, don't spend ANY MOMENTS of your life on this that you haven't already, you'll never get them back. Enjoy your fantastic car, and keep us updated on your progress!
Appreciate 4
Foggins1331.50
clutchdj1872.50
///M TOWN16074.00
      08-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I had something similar happen to me with the Audi we just picked up. We waited 7 months for it and the Sales Manager was playing games with us. Told us we need to come in before the weekend and tacked on $1500 to an already agreed to price. In the end we picked up the car early and paid the extra $1500 which still gave us a 6% discount on MSRP. We’ll never go back and spread the word about the dishonesty of the manager and the dealer.

They need to think to themselves…are these games worth losing a customer and possible referrals. Bunch of clowns.

Congrats btw. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Could this be because they wanted to meet their month-end targets?
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Solid first post
irunalot1518.00
JamesGames1326.00
      08-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I had something similar happen to me with the Audi we just picked up. We waited 7 months for it and the Sales Manager was playing games with us. Told us we need to come in before the weekend and tacked on $1500 to an already agreed to price. In the end we picked up the car early and paid the extra $1500 which still gave us a 6% discount on MSRP. We’ll never go back and spread the word about the dishonesty of the manager and the dealer.
I have to ask how did they manage to raise the price, did you not have a signed contract???

I probably would have walked out the door and file multiple complaints.
Appreciate 1
unluky7519.00
      08-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
I have to ask how did they manage to raise the price, did you not have a signed contract???

I concur. When I ordered my G29 the dealer gave me a written itemized quote showing price and discounts. Then they took my deposit.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post

They can do whatever they want before you sign the final contract. The initial deposit and order has no legal protection for either buyer or seller. If it did the dealerships could also pursue buyers for walking away from deals.
The sales manager claimed the deal had an incentive built in that wasn’t available at delivery. That was untrue and the specifics of the deal were not only on the original paperwork but on multiple emails back and forth with the salesman who was no longer employed by the dealership.
Could we have walked away? Of course but my wife waited 7 months for her custom order and in that time we were unable to find another build like it nationally and they would of sold it over MSRP over the weekend easily. Could we of raised a stink about it and spent hours at the dealer and ruined our day and the experience for $1500? Yeah but it wasn’t worth it for us. In the end we still got a good deal and the dealer lost a customer and referrals. I’ve referred several people to by BMW salesman whom I had the opposite experience with but that was before the COVID era.
Sucks there are dealerships and salesman like this but it’s not going to change anytime soon. If anything it has gotten worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
They prob had someone read to pay generously over msrp. The market wasn’t as crazy for M2’s when the OP ordered I am guessing. F87 M2s are hot items now.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      08-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

At least you are in the Bay area and there are lots of BMW dealers there so you can avoid this one!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16074.00
      08-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #11
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Thanks for the consumer info OP. BMW of San Luis Obispo are crooks on a fairly regular basis it seems.
You are not the 1st person on here - within the past 3 months - that has posted about SLO's dodgy dealings. They sure seem one of those dealerships to avoid like the pla... umm, ya you know.

Here's the one I was thinking of:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=13

Quote:
"Had a horrible experience with BMW SLO. We were there just about to sign the papers, when sales mgr told us they had someone on the phone bidding on the car. So it's either we put above MSRP or the car is not ours. Such a bad experience, I had my sons with me and drove 3 hours because it was supposed to be a gift to their dad. Got us blindsided

Needless to say, I can't make myself give them our business."
Edit: Here's another one, even the name change and years hasn't changed their BS:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...71&postcount=3

Last edited by Capt Canuck; 08-13-2021 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Love you dropping names OP.

I had some shitty experiences with Alfa during my shopping process and roasted them on Google reviews. These people deserve to be called out by name.

I am not a fan of Tesla but have to commend them for subverting this dealership bullshit. In this market segment clients are overwhelmingly well-educated professionals yet still get treated like dirt by high school graduate salesmen. I don't wish people to lose their jobs but I wouldn't shed a tear if the dealership model goes the way of the Dodo.
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1366.00
540iSUP703.00
      08-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #13
buddybash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post

They need to think to themselves…are these games worth losing a customer and possible referrals. Bunch of clowns.

Congrats btw. Enjoy!
I posted this in a Facebook group and someone made a comment about how Tesla's sales model will be the future.
We really need direct to consumer with the dealer out of the picture.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      08-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #14
buddybash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
I doubt it because Saturday fell on a the 31st.

Before I ordered the car I had in writing my purchase price would be MSRP.

Once the car arrived at the dealer it got listed for sale (it's part of the process, not sure if this true or bs), so I assume in that short amount of time they had enough interest from people willing to pay over MSRP that it was in their best interest to not sell me the car.

When I was at the dealer they told me that they had a used 2021 M2C that they sold for 10k over MSRP.

I believe it was purely a money play on the dealer end.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #15
buddybash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Thanks for the consumer info OP. BMW of San Luis Obispo are crooks on a fairly regular basis it seems.
You are not the 1st person on here - within the past 3 months - that has posted about SLO's dodgy dealings. They sure seem one of those dealerships to avoid like the pla... umm, ya you know.

Here's the one I was thinking of:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=13

Edit: Here's another one, even the name change and years hasn't changed their BS:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...71&postcount=3
I'm not surprised, after my experience I read up on SLO and they have a terrible reputation.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #16
buddybash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Love you dropping names OP.

I had some shitty experiences with Alfa during my shopping process and roasted them on Google reviews. These people deserve to be called out by name.

I am not a fan of Tesla but have to commend them for subverting this dealership bullshit. In this market segment clients are overwhelmingly well-educated professionals yet still get treated like dirt by high school graduate salesmen. I don't wish people to lose their jobs but I wouldn't shed a tear if the dealership model goes the way of the Dodo.
I name dropped because the three other people I interacted with were great to work with.
Ryan on the other hand deserves to be called out.
Appreciate 4
Germanauto9698.00
540iSUP703.00
JamesGames1326.00
      08-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #17
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Bravo for calling this clown out by name. Sadly, more folks need to do the same and hold them accountable for their actions.

I did the exact same thing when I purchased my Audi.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I would've asked Ryan take a moment to think of when he wants the car shoved up his ass and then call you back.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      08-14-2021, 02:23 AM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybash View Post
I name dropped because the three other people I interacted with were great to work with.
Ryan on the other hand deserves to be called out.
Drop his name (alongside the good ones) in Google and Yelp reviews as well. Not many casual observers visit Bimmerpost, but everybody reads the other reviews online. A month after I roasted an Alfa dealer on Google, I got an email notification saying like 140 people had read it. This chump wouldn't allow me to drive the car until we talked numbers so he could determine if I had enough money to be worth his time. Hopefully no clients waste their time with him now.

I can't emphasize how much I hate dealerships.
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      08-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #20
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

In that spirit, I shall repost my Beaverton Toyota story (which is also on Yelp along with several other similar experience at the same dealership):

I had a 128i sold from out under me despite having an appointment to pick it up. Dealership doesn't take deposits, "only way to guarantee it is to buy it", and I couldn't make that happen remotely. I had flown in to Portland and was en route—literally in the Uber just pulling out at the airport—25 min from the dealership when they called. Avoid Beaverton Toyota.
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #21
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The most obvious observation is that intentionally creating a poor customer experience to maximize one sale directly leads to the loss of future sales.

It's literally taught in every Customer Experience 101 course ...
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9698.00
Vivek.1366.00
      08-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
The most obvious observation is that intentionally creating a poor customer experience to maximize one sale directly leads to the loss of future sales.

It's literally taught in every Customer Experience 101 course ...
File under "Training not offered and / or completed by car salespeople." Right after "Anything at all to do with the product you're selling."
Appreciate 0