05-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #67
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict1957 View Post
Can you provide some papers/sources that speak to what you're talking about?

I did some digging and found an article back in 2016 that claimed to disprove the special theory of relativity, but it was met with significant backlash and virtually no one in the physics community is convinced.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-tst030116.php

https://thewire.in/science/a-non-cha...-of-relativity
The guy is obviously trolling. I can't imagine anyone who "worked in this field at a very high level for some years" wouldn't understand the differences between hypothesis, laws and theories. Of course that's assuming "this" field is is actually physics and he's not actually the lead researcher at the flat earth society
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #68
Benedict1957
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The guy is obviously trolling. I can't imagine anyone who "worked in this field at a very high level for some years" wouldn't understand the differences between hypothesis, laws and theories. Of course that's assuming "this" field is is actually physics and he's not actually the lead researcher at the flat earth society
Yeah that's what I suspect, but as a courtesy to him I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I have access to Steven Weinberg, a Nobel prize winning physicist, if necessary, as he's a family friend of ours. If c63er sticks to his original argument, I'll pass it by Weinberg just to see what he has to say. I'll take screenshots showing that the email exchange came from Weinberg (you can look up his email address online).

I hate appealing to authority like this but the fact is I don't work in the physics field and I'm not going to pretend like I know everything there is to know about relativity.

But what c63er is saying about special relativity having been proven to be false would be as groundbreaking as someone saying that the U.S. government has confirmed the existence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life.

Sometimes I feel like I live under a rock, but I don't think I'm that out of touch with reality. If the special theory of relativity was actually disproven I would have expected to have heard about it, even as a lay person.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2020, 02:16 AM   #69
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict1957 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Yeah that's what I suspect, but as a courtesy to him I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I have access to Steven Weinberg, a Nobel prize winning physicist, if necessary, as he's a family friend of ours. If c63er sticks to his original argument, I'll pass it by Weinberg just to see what he has to say. I'll take screenshots showing that the email exchange came from Weinberg (you can look up his email address online).

I hate appealing to authority like this but the fact is I don't work in the physics field and I'm not going to pretend like I know everything there is to know about relativity.

But what c63er is saying about special relativity having been proven to be false would be as groundbreaking as someone saying that the U.S. government has confirmed the existence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life.

Sometimes I feel like I live under a rock, but I don't think I'm that out of touch with reality. If the special theory of relativity was actually disproven I would have expected to have heard about it, even as a lay person.
You should talk with your friend on this topic more.

It's not that it has been disproven. You way of looking at this is totally incorrect. It's not a question of proven or disproven. It simply doesn't answer the questions that are being asked right now and is not used by anyone seriously except for high school and college physics teachers.

Again back to the basic analogy.

Does staying away from other humans result in less disease transmission?

Yes.

Is disease transmission explained by how much distance humans keep from one an other?

No.

Does social distancing even begin to explain virology? Even 1 iota? No. So can you disprove that keeping away from each other kills viruses. Ok.... if you say so.

If this analogy makes no sense to you, just stick to high school level physics and e=mc2. This field isn't for you.

As far as relativity goes. Only a handful of predicted observations have been shown. That is why it's a theory. Simple observations with simple tools. Just like the observation that if you stay away from someone you won't get sick. But that simple observation cannot be used to conclude that viruses die if you stay away from someone.

To be honest, if any serious physicist agreed with the nonsense in your posts then string theory wouldn't even exist. Yet it does exist, even as flawed as it is (and need to go!)

This is a serious observation not trolling. If you are interested in this topic, read more. Much much much more. If you are more interested in an internet argument go elsewhere. I've already made my mark and talking high school physics on a forum with people who know everything isn't that rewarding. But I've come to learn people on this forum cannot accept their own lack of insight without any kind of humility and often lash out. More a reflection of society then anything I guess in these times.

BTW name dropping a physicist on a forum is beyond pathetic. I don't think there are words to describe how sad that is. You think name dropping somehow validates your in so far non argument and lack of any kind knowledge? But I do encourage you to print this post and take it to your friend. Hopefully he laughs at you as I would if someone did that to me. It becomes harder each day to find quality people on this site anymore.
      05-03-2020, 03:04 AM   #70
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
Again back to the basic analogy
Who is older

passenger A that takes a train from New York to Washington via Philly that travels at light speed.

passenger B that takes a train from New York to Washington via Philly (but this time philly has massive gravitation pull due to angry sports fans)that travels at light speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 03:05 AM   #71
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:

It's not that it has been disproven. You way of looking at this is totally incorrect. It's not a question of proven or disproven. It simply doesn't answer the questions that are being asked right now and is not used by anyone seriously except for high school and college physics teachers.

This is a serious observation not trolling. If you are interested in this topic, read more. Much much much more.
Benedict1957 is keeping an open mind. So am I.

The basic analogies: we get. Well made points. We understand.

Some substantiation of your assertions. This would really help. If you had to choose one article that describes “the questions that are being asked right now“ - please provide the link. We will read it. We will digest and understand. We can then continue, in some mature conversation.

In summary - we are “all ears”. Sincerely, provide some evidence. This is the Off Topic board. It can often lead to a mire of detritus, as you have alluded to. Not this time.

I am incredibly happy to be educated. I enjoy reading about scientific progress, in my spare time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 03:08 AM   #72
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:

Again back to the basic analogy.

Does staying away from other humans result in less disease transmission?

Yes.

Is disease transmission explained by how much distance humans keep from one an other?

No.

Does social distancing even begin to explain virology? Even 1 iota? No. So can you disprove that keeping away from each other kills viruses. Ok.... if you say so.

If this analogy makes no sense to you, just stick to high school level physics and e=mc2. This field isn't for you.

As far as relativity goes. Only a handful of predicted observations have been shown. That is why it's a theory. Simple observations with simple tools. Just like the observation that if you stay away from someone you won't get sick. But that simple observation cannot be used to conclude that viruses die if you stay away from someone.

To be honest, if any serious physicist agreed with the nonsense in your posts then string theory wouldn't even exist. Yet it does exist, even as flawed as it is (and need to go!)

This is a serious observation not trolling. If you are interested in this topic, read more. Much much much more. If you are more interested in an internet argument go elsewhere. I've already made my mark and talking high school physics on a forum with people who know everything isn't that rewarding. But I've come to learn people on this forum cannot accept their own lack of insight without any kind of humility and often lash out. More a reflection of society then anything I guess in these times.

BTW name dropping a physicist on a forum is beyond pathetic. I don't think there are words to describe how sad that is. You think name dropping somehow validates your in so far non argument and lack of any kind knowledge? But I do encourage you to print this post and take it to your friend. Hopefully he laughs at you as I would if someone did that to me. It becomes harder each day to find quality people on this site anymore.
Kind of feel like you’re lashing out.

Theory of relativitay is provable. When I do a one minute plank it feels like an hour.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17881.50
      05-03-2020, 03:48 AM   #73
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

One of the bases I was stationed at had a lights out protocol where all personnel on base were ordered to stay indoors for a certain amount of time while illumination throughout the base was cut off. It was to conceal prototype aircraft that the military did not want to be identified as it was flying into the base.

As much as I’d like to believe these UFO are being produced by extraterrestrials, I think it’s our own technology. Military/gov’t is likely working on some next level shit the general population can’t even comprehend.

I’m aware of Commander Fravor’s and Bob Lazar’s credible accounts of their interactions with UFO’s, but I remain skeptical about their encounters being extraterrestrial which is what many people seem to assume based on their stories.

With my luck, I’ll probably get abducted tonight and get butt probed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #74
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
Quote:

This is a serious observation not trolling. If you are interested in this topic, read more. Much much much more.
Benedict1957 is keeping an open mind. So am I.

The basic analogies: we get. Well made points. We understand.

Some substantiation of your assertions. This would really help. If you had to choose one article that describes "the questions that are being asked right now" - please provide the link. We will read it. We will digest and understand. We can then continue, in some mature conversation.

In summary - we are "all ears". Sincerely, provide some evidence. This is the Off Topic board. It can often lead to a mire of detritus, as you have alluded to. Not this time.

I am incredibly happy to be educated. I enjoy reading about scientific progress, in my spare time.
How can one single article summarize all the questions we have now in physics? Please.

Ask your self the most basic question, asked in the 60s by Schild. Do your think space time is flat or curved? Oh wait it's curved. Just the most basic question and see how SR holds up for you. But yes if you assume gravitational fields, light speed and muons (or any particulate matter) don't exist sure SR works great. But it works by dumb luck. It simply can explain certain interactions in a small set of unique circumstances. These interactions are in reality governed by entirely other laws.

Or I'm sure one of you has a "good family friend" who works at LHC. Maybe they can tell you how SR is holding up over there.

Or maybe or if you Nobel laureates who are obsessed with Hafele and Keating clock experiments can explain what happens when you insert a third observer? Oh wait they didn't teach you about the third observer in high school physics did they.

But you are obsessed with an article that proves one thing or another. You have no idea who Schild is and have no basis of knowledge past high school or college physics yet you want an "article" that speaks to many questions the greatest minds of the past 50 years have been dealing with. But fine if you want a very simplistic and flawed article showing a single example of why SR doesn't work then fine, read this. It has serious problems but is written in simplistic language.

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0412004

As I suspect not a single person here will understand this. Why would anyone begin to think flawed high school physics knowledge would hold up to the laws of the universe, of which we know almost nothing. I'm going to also assume you believe other great high school level pieces of fact such as the "Indians" and pilgrims sat down and ate turkey and corn together in happiness during thanksgiving.

Mostly this place is for the uneducated to spew idiocy and claim knowledge behind the mask of the internet. But as I mentioned before, these are the times we live in.

Next stop, replacing our water supply with soda.
      05-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #75
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Next stop, replacing our water supply with soda. You
Please stop, you're arousing me.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #76
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

My wife makes fun of me because I like these shows, I'm truly fascinated, I focus on the whole we're just a pebble of sand on the whole beach (we're not alone)

Mrs. Miller was a military brat growing up, she reminds me that the Lockheed F117 was created with lips sealed with almost baby wings compared to its body (looked strange) AND Northrop Grummans B2 like a smooth boomerang massive one unit wing looked sci Fi for sure at the time it was first seen

These little "tic tac's" doing wild g's, speeds that confuse us will all be confirmed #Mercia maid when our kids are grown

I see DRONES, latest teck drones, the human body can not handle those movements without turning into mush (no more pilots soon) some kid outside LV will be in a base piloting these tic tacs using a Xbox controller in the next conflict 2030
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread