United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
LMAO

"I just dropped 50k on this...this shit box...goddammit"

"Great, I have a car that smokes a BMW 335i stock for stock, and I paid less money for more options. Boo hoo, I regret it immediately."

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #46
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
How do you propose BMW focus on one-upping their competition's interiors when they're busy taking away things like functioning cubby hole lids and seatback nets?

You also forgot moon roofs now for MY2010.

BMW needs this competition from Audi IMHO.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #47
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

i dont understand why the S4 is now down to compete with the 335i. the S4 used to compete with the M3 back in the B5 days (2000-2002) which is still the best S4 ever made. this new one is okay, ive been around Audis for a long time and the fit and finish does not last as long as a BMW's. both cars will be nice and the RS4 should be a monster.

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #48
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

As much as i like to hate Audi, looks like they have the market cornered for sub $50,000 sports sedans now. The interior is fabulous, so is the value and so is the performance.

Lest not forget that the residuals for Audi S and RS models have also been traditionally strong. There is no way they can lose, not at this price.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #49
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Cant wait to see what APR or GIAC do for this S4. A couple freinds of mine drives B5 S4s. Cool cars, bloody fast with K04s but damn they break alot.
      08-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #50
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Just listen to this from the press release, i think it is Très Cool.

Quote:
The S4 sedan features voice-based destination input control, and voice inputs such as "I'm hungry," "I need gas" and "I need coffee" that will point to the closest options

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #51
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

actually, the one thing i don't like so much about the A4/S4 is the interior, save for the seats and some random switches. i liked the S5's much more.

i dunno. i usually love Audi interiors.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #52
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Will probably be my next car a in two years. Some coils and exhaust, she's good to go
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #53
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

I always though that Audi overprices all of their S cars. That is one of the main reason they only sell a fraction of S cars compared to M cars. Now looks like they are really serious about competing with BMW. This is going to be good for us enthusiasts. I am a huge BMW fan and have owned only BMW for the past 10 years. But if the S4 is priced close to the 335i it would be hard for me to to go with the Audi. Let the price war begins. Hopefully, this makes BMW lower their price on their cars too.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #54
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Thats a great starting price... Cant wait to see it in person.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #55
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

For all of you Audi fanboys;

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #56
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Quote:
The seats alone put it above the 335i.
Agreed that the seats look phenomenal. Hell, the entire interior looks amazing.

Sure hope that people don't honestly think I work for Audi, I love my 335i. I would be the ultimate forum plant if I actually worked for Audi. Been a board member for over a year, regularly post, own an e92 335i...

With that said, the S4 has serious tuning potential. I believe that MTM has already developed a tune and an exhaust that make 430bhp/360awhp. I could see adding headers, a better intercooler (fmic?), a possibly a different supercharger or a different SC pulley to get ~450awhp.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #57
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I have nothing bad to say about the S4 now that they've lowered the price point WITHOUT stripping the car....

If BMW doesn't answer, I'll have no choice to trade my HPFP in for an S4 when the time comes.
Well, that's not exactly true. They've done things like remove the nifty compact hinge system on the trunk and gone back to a cheap conventional system. They've changed the door handles from flush to protruding, etc.
We'll see. It's still a forward weight biased Audi that weighs a couple hundred lb. more than a 3 series. Lap times and acceleration are one thing. Fun to drive factor is another.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #58
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
I'll definitely have to bring my 335 into the Audi dealership and take the new S4 for a spin. I have to say that I was not nearly as impressed with the previous S4 as I was with the 335. As for comparing it to the M3...c'mon, thats the niche for the RS4. I was open to purchase just about any car in the sub $50,000 price range before I got my 335. Thing is, as a whole nothing else seemed to compare. The S4 was not as fun to drive on winding roads, and while the performance was very similar, I felt that the 335 developed power in a more enjoyable way.

As for the new S4, the interior looks like a spiffed up evo to me. Too many gadgets...the center console looks ridiculous. At first I was not too fond of the antiquated BMW interior. I've grown to appreciate the clean simplicity of the interior now that i'm in it every day.

If Audi has improved the overall feel of the S4 than it'll surely be a great competitor for the 335, i'll have to drive one for myself before i'm sold though.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #59
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
New S4 looks great and is priced right. I look forward to hearing from people driving them. Also keeping my fingers crossed there's another Audi driving event around here this summer, maybe it will be there.
That would be good! Then you will realise that the Skoda/VW/Audi S4 is actually just another incorrectly engineered car like all Skoda/VW/Audis.

Just to add a little balance to this, Top Gear magazine just completed a review of the Audi S4, BMW M335 and Merc Csomething...

Here is the final results and finishing paragraph:

1. BMW 335i
2. Audi S4
3. Merc Csomething...who cares

"The S4 didn't win. Dynamically it is a throwback to the previous model, which also felt like each of the four wheels didn't know where the others were going - and the body had another idea altogether. Push any of this versions many buttons and you still get a variation on ordinary. Bring on the RS4. Whatever it costs, it will be better value than this."

This is absolutely a typical Skoda/VW/Audi summary.

No matter what a Skoda/VW/Audi looks like from the outside (and I will admit, some do look hot) that initial "wow" goes away once I get into the tacky interior (those without any design sense use the word luxury) and then I give it back after I (once again) realise I have been fooled by a good looking car with no tactile driver's feedback and a cheezy "buttons everywhere" and "stick leather here, nice shiny bit there" interior which really is terrible to operate.

The best thing you can do is go to a driver comparison day. Get into the Skoda/VW/Audi first and drive it around - and then immediately get into a BMW. I have not seen one person yet who wants to get back into the Skoda/VW/Audi.

When I see an Audi less than a RS model with someone trying to drive fast - the words "OMG, clueless" enter my head. And then after meeting the driver - that's generally true.

I look forward to your "BMW fanboy", "Car snob", "You have no idea" etc etc flames. Already heard them before. All I ask is people THINK rather than go "ooooooh, that's nice looking. My mates will think I'm neato if I turn up in this!"

Just to finish off, here is another quote from Top Gear Magazine:
"The S4's steering is on Valium and about to nod off compared to the BMW it becomes imprecise and shakes itself senseless through choppy bends"

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #60
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
That would be good! Then you will realise that the Skoda/VW/Audi S4 is actually just another incorrectly engineered car like all Skoda/VW/Audis.

Just to add a little balance to this, Top Gear magazine just completed a review of the Audi S4, BMW M335 and Merc Csomething...

1. BMW 335i
2. Audi S4

"The S4 didn't win. Dynamically it is a throwback to the previous model, which also felt like each of the four wheels didn't know where the others were going - and the body had another idea altogether. Push any of this versions many buttons and you still get a variation on ordinary. Bring on the RS4. Whatever it costs, it will be better value than this."

No matter what a Skoda/VW/Audi looks like from the outside (and I will admit, some do look hot) that initial "wow" goes away once I get into the tacky interior (those without any design sense use the word luxury) and then I give it back after I (once again) realise I have been fooled by a good looking car with no tactile driver's feedback and a cheezy "buttons everywhere" and "stick leather here, nice shiny bit there" interior which really is terrible to operate.

The best thing you can do is go to a driver comparison day. Get into the Skoda/VW/Audi first and drive it around - and then immediately get into a BMW. I have not seen one person yet who wants to get back into the Skoda/VW/Audi.

When I see an Audi less than a RS model with someone trying to drive fast - the words "OMG, clueless" enter my head. And then after meeting the driver - that's generally true.

I look forward to your "BMW fanboy", "Car snob", "You have no idea" etc etc flames. Already heard them before. All I ask is people THINK rather than go "ooooooh, that's nice looking. My mates will think I'm neato if I turn up in this!"

Oh my...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #61
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrückt View Post
For the S4 vs 335i, it looks like the other way around.

where is the rest of the article? I would like to see the outcome.

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #62
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

i want one.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #63
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
i want one.
You should get one. Without driving it, just go down and buy it. Best idea ever.

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #64
a14lee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:

1. BMW 335i
2. Audi S4

"The S4's steering is on Valium and about to nod off compared to the BMW it becomes imprecise and shakes itself senseless through choppy bends"
A lot of good points in here. For years, non-M BMW's had to deal with having less horsepower than the competition, until the 335i. The thing that drew people to BMW's was the way they connect the driver to the road, which probably means different things to different people.

In all likelihood, the 335i will still drive better and feel better than the Audi S4, even though it is slower. I would reserve judgement on the S4 vs. 335i until I actually drive the Audi though. What's exciting to many people is that for a similar price, you get a car that is faster. The Mercedes C-somethings are also faster, in a straight line, but almost everyone in this forum would never buy one, even if they cost less than a BMW, which they don't. Also, no MT is absolute fail.

One interesting thing about the Audi though. Car and Driver magazine preferred the B7 S4 over the e46 M3 because they felt that the steering in the S4 was better. Everyone here knows that they're wrong, but it goes to show that there are some people out there that prefer the feel of the Audi to that of the BMW. For those people, the S4 is an incredible deal if it really drives like the B7 Audi. If the B8 S4 actually has improved what the Top Gear article thinks it hasn't, than it will be an absolutely fantastic car.

Either way, I am excited to see what the S4 has to offer, but I still absolutely love my 335i.
      08-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #65
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:

1. BMW 335i
2. Audi S4

Very well put
If anyone flames you for saying the truth like I was flaming in the other thread, that just goes to show how ignorant they are ...
Unreal how many Audi fanboy trolls are on here... The kind of people that only buy a car for the badge and looks and have never even driven by a race track, let alone on one
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #66
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

then again, I got my pretty fully optioned 335 coupe for $47K ish because the economy is soo bad they sold it at cost. Same thing would apply to a 335 sedan more so. S4s are going to be full price, maybe marked up. Regardless, numbers on the S4 are damn impressive.
Appreciate 0