BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-04-2020, 03:56 AM   #353
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

I am in between BMWs at the moment. Until recently I drove a fully loaded F30 335i as my daily but currently my daily goes under the name "the car of shame".

Name:  IMG_0887.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  392.9 KB

Now the daily is a 2002 Seat Ibiza 1.2 with 64hp. We bought it for my wife when she was in between BMWs. We just kept it after she got her new car because it costs next to nothing to have it. Now it became my turn to be in between BMWs so of course I would take what we aready had to drive. We are the 8th or 9th owner of the car. It has driven 285000km/178125mi and has several defects. Long light is having its own random generator so that is never used. The driver side seat cannot fold, the gear box has five gears. The third gear is there somewhere but really difficult to find together with the fifth gear. It had a stereo USB/MP3 radio but only one speaker in the whole car is working. The tailgate can’t be opened. It has scratches all over the right side and there is rust all over the place and of course the engine light is on all the time. At one point we thought the light had given up or burnt out but it returned.

The good thing is that the car drives stable. The brakes work well and the clutch is still working well. So I really, really look forward for getting my new BMW X1 in April.

Name:  IMG_0983.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  412.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0985.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  233.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0986.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  379.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0987.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  222.5 KB
      01-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #354
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Until recently I drove a fully loaded F30 335i as my daily but currently my daily goes under the name "the car of shame".
Hold my beer.

My "daily driver" for work is a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback. NO clearcoat (and barely any paint) on any horizontal surface, with a lot of rust on the bottom of the back hatch as a bonus. The remaining clearcoat is slowly oxidizing and flaking off-- the car looks like it has mange. The only way to tell what the true color of the car used to be is to look at the bumpers or where the remains of what used to be a clear bra (that's fossilized onto the hood) was.

The Bad: Driver's window doesn't work and is speed-taped into position. Turn signals only work manually. Radio is intermittent (some days it works, other days-- not so much). Hatch won't stay latched which either a) drains the battery or b) triggers a door light at highway speeds. Hatch struts are completely blown so there's a good chance of decapitation if you open the hatch and forget about that little tidbit. It has an intermittent electrical gremlin that triggers the Electric "idiot light" randomly. I pretty much troubleshot and replaced everything in the electrical system except the ECU and finally gave up-- it runs, so I just ignore the light. The blower fan sounds like a family of talkative squirrels moved in (which isn't beyond the realm of possiblity), which means for heat/cold, you have two settings: Off or Full Blast-- anything between is Fingernails On A Chalkboard. The rear wiper is completely erratic-- you have to coax it to take a swipe at the rain on the back hatch. The suspension has a LOT of creaks and noises in it from the front strut perches; I changed them twice, the noise came back and I gave up because Ford's build quality is right up there with Yugo's. I'd turn up the radio to help ignore the din, but that's a hit or miss proposition. And finally-- the wiring that was installed by the Ford employee's in Mexico? Terrifying. Just..... terrifying. I've had to splice/patch/replace a good chunk of it just to keep from going up in flames like a buddhist monk. I literally fear plugging an amp meter into the circuit box as I'm afraid of what I'll read.

The Good: It's a manual transmission and has stiffer roll bars than stock-- it's actually sort of a hoot to drive. It has new light housings since the old ones were so hazy that on/off was more or less the same thing, I finally broke down and bought some cheap Chinese knock-off housings and they work great.

And? NOBODY in their right mind is going to break in to it or steal it from the Employee Lot, so I don't need to worry about security when I'm on a trip.

Part of the deal with my wife for me getting a new M2C was that the Focus had to Go Far Away. In its defense, it lived out in Cali for 15 years in the blasting sun with minimal care and feeding-- I would use it a few days a month when I commuted out to play with the AF Reserve, so for how often it got abused and neglected, it did a good job for longer than I would have expected.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get rid of it. My buddy is seriously considering giving it to his girlfriend's two kids-- they're recently of driving age, and he figures the humiliation of driving this around would do them a world of good. It's not like they can hurt it, and it might teach them that "No you do NOT get a nice, new car for free, just because you want one."

I'm all for it.

R.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Feddersen451.00
Carb0n M103.50
      01-05-2020, 02:12 AM   #355
Carb0n M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
  • Daily: E70 X5d
  • Sporty: F80 M3
  • Show: 1971 Corvette
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
3798j11308.50
      01-05-2020, 03:00 AM   #356
Mirrari
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb0n M View Post
  • Daily: E70 X5d
  • Sporty: F80 M3
  • Show: 1971 Corvette
I’d blur out the license plates if I were you....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #357
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
I'm dailying my e90, of course) still get excited almost every time I need to drive it.
So, I've been on vacation these past few weeks and haven't driven much compared to my normal 800-mile weeks. I've not driven the E90 since Christmas eve. Yesterday I was ripping around in the Z3 with the top down, rare around here for early January . The Z3 has a Bilstein/H&R suspension and is my best driving car, slow that it is (fun to drive a slow car fast...)

But the E90 was up for its 5,000-mile tire rotation and winter pressure adjustment. That accomplished, I dropped it off the lift and took it out to warm up the N52 and scrape the rust off the rotors. After 13 and a half years and a bazillion miles, I still really just love driving that car.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-05-2020 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #358
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Hold my beer.

My "daily driver" for work is a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback. NO clearcoat (and barely any paint) on any horizontal surface, with a lot of rust on the bottom of the back hatch as a bonus. The remaining clearcoat is slowly oxidizing and flaking off-- the car looks like it has mange. The only way to tell what the true color of the car used to be is to look at the bumpers or where the remains of what used to be a clear bra (that's fossilized onto the hood) was.

The Bad: Driver's window doesn't work and is speed-taped into position. Turn signals only work manually. Radio is intermittent (some days it works, other days-- not so much). Hatch won't stay latched which either a) drains the battery or b) triggers a door light at highway speeds. Hatch struts are completely blown so there's a good chance of decapitation if you open the hatch and forget about that little tidbit. It has an intermittent electrical gremlin that triggers the Electric "idiot light" randomly. I pretty much troubleshot and replaced everything in the electrical system except the ECU and finally gave up-- it runs, so I just ignore the light. The blower fan sounds like a family of talkative squirrels moved in (which isn't beyond the realm of possiblity), which means for heat/cold, you have two settings: Off or Full Blast-- anything between is Fingernails On A Chalkboard. The rear wiper is completely erratic-- you have to coax it to take a swipe at the rain on the back hatch. The suspension has a LOT of creaks and noises in it from the front strut perches; I changed them twice, the noise came back and I gave up because Ford's build quality is right up there with Yugo's. I'd turn up the radio to help ignore the din, but that's a hit or miss proposition. And finally-- the wiring that was installed by the Ford employee's in Mexico? Terrifying. Just..... terrifying. I've had to splice/patch/replace a good chunk of it just to keep from going up in flames like a buddhist monk. I literally fear plugging an amp meter into the circuit box as I'm afraid of what I'll read.

The Good: It's a manual transmission and has stiffer roll bars than stock-- it's actually sort of a hoot to drive. It has new light housings since the old ones were so hazy that on/off was more or less the same thing, I finally broke down and bought some cheap Chinese knock-off housings and they work great.

And? NOBODY in their right mind is going to break in to it or steal it from the Employee Lot, so I don't need to worry about security when I'm on a trip.

Part of the deal with my wife for me getting a new M2C was that the Focus had to Go Far Away. In its defense, it lived out in Cali for 15 years in the blasting sun with minimal care and feeding-- I would use it a few days a month when I commuted out to play with the AF Reserve, so for how often it got abused and neglected, it did a good job for longer than I would have expected.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get rid of it. My buddy is seriously considering giving it to his girlfriend's two kids-- they're recently of driving age, and he figures the humiliation of driving this around would do them a world of good. It's not like they can hurt it, and it might teach them that "No you do NOT get a nice, new car for free, just because you want one."

I'm all for it.

R.
Come on, you've really never seen a Yugo have you...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #359
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Actually? Yes, I have. I'm old enough to have actually seen them at a dealership in the late 80's/early 90's.

The Focus might not be quite that bad, but having it sandwiched between owning an Acura and a Honda? It was a bit disappointing in build quality/materials/fit and finish.

Not Ford's finest product. I blame a lot of it on building them in Mexico.

(You listening there, BMW?)

R.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17164.50
      01-05-2020, 07:26 AM   #360
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually? Yes, I have. I'm old enough to have actually seen them at a dealership in the late 80's/early 90's.

The Focus might not be quite that bad, but having it sandwiched between owning an Acura and a Honda? It was a bit disappointing in build quality/materials/fit and finish.

R.
Yeah I'm old enough too; it's why I asked ... Agreed, the 2001 Focus was not the best of Ford's efforts. My 1999 F150 was a POS too. Tied back to the then VP of Fords supply chain back in the late '90s; some French dude, I forget his name. My Brother has a late model Fiesta, 2018 I think, which is built in the same Mexican factory and it's a well-built piece. I think he paid $12,500 for it brand new.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #361
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:

R.
Both of my Mexican GTI's have been great. My BMW's made in the US and South Africa have been better than the German ones. Place your blame elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #362
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Quote:

R.
Both of my Mexican GTI's have been great. My BMW's made in the US and South Africa have been better than the German ones. Place your blame elsewhere.
I'll stand by my description of Mexican build quality, but I concede that it may be much different now than in 2001.

I also fault Ford for going "cheap" on materials- substandard wiring bundles, "fuzz on the floor" carpet, flimsy plastic, et. al.

Again, this is a 2001 car.

R.
      01-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #363
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

R.
I'll stand by my description of Mexican build quality, but I concede that it may be much different now than in 2001.

I also fault Ford for going "cheap" on materials- substandard wiring bundles, "fuzz on the floor" carpet, flimsy plastic, et. al.

R.
I've always thought of that Focus as a bit like a Subaru. Good engineering and dynamics but awful materials.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #364
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Quote:

R.
Ford had bad build quality in the states before they moved production to Mexico. I'd blame the bad build quality on the fact that it is a Ford.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:43 AM   #365
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Due to reducing my motor stable into 2 vehicles, I am left with my 2018 Chevy crewcab as my daily driver. It's not the most efficient or environmentally friendly means of transportion. But what the heck, the world is going to end soon anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #366
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
2018 i3 Rex
Been looking into this lately. Call me crazy, but I've tossed the idea of selling my E36 M3 for either a 2018 BMW i3s or F56 MINI JCW. Not in a rush or anything, and patiently waiting for prices to drop even more.

The reason is because I really don't have anything fuel efficient, and these 2 replacements would be different than the other cars I have. Having said that, I've backed off many times and have just kept the E36.

How are you liking the i3?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #367
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Been looking into this lately. Call me crazy, but I've tossed the idea of selling my E36 M3 for either a 2018 BMW i3s or F56 MINI JCW. Not in a rush or anything, and patiently waiting for prices to drop even more.

The reason is because I really don't have anything fuel efficient, and these 2 replacements would be different than the other cars I have. Having said that, I've backed off many times and have just kept the E36.

How are you liking the i3?
Nobody buys these, leasing is way to go. As much as I love mine its equivalent of buying an iPhone and holding for 4+ years, the battery life offering will be exponentially better. If you want to get one go for 2019 as it has the longest battery life.

FWIW I leased mine for $299/m with 0 down other than sales tax. With my net gas/electricity savings it comes down to $180/m. For that little you should just keep your e36 m3 imo.
      01-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #368
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Nobody buys these, leasing is way to go. As much as I love mine its equivalent of buying an iPhone and holding for 4+ years, the battery life offering will be exponentially better. If you want to get one go for 2019 as it has the longest battery life.

FWIW I leased mine for $299/m with 0 down other than sales tax. With my net gas/electricity savings it comes down to $180/m. For that little you should just keep your e36 m3 imo.
Thanks for the feedback! My commute is only 20 mins each way, mostly highway too. So I really dont think I'd get much benefit from the fuel savings. But I do find the i3 an interesting car though
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #369
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback! My commute is only 20 mins each way, mostly highway too. So I really dont think I'd get much benefit from the fuel savings. But I do find the i3 an interesting car though
They're fun to drive (being rwd with 125 cross section tires) and are surprisingly roomy inside. Someone at my kid's daycare makes it work with a rear facing car seat. If they just had double the range I'd have bought one, the US version of REX is a bit challenged.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #370
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They're fun to drive (being rwd with 125 cross section tires) and are surprisingly roomy inside. Someone at my kid's daycare makes it work with a rear facing car seat. If they just had double the range I'd have bought one, the US version of REX is a bit challenged.
I have 2 rear facing seats in mine, one for toddler (passenger side) and one for newborn (driver side). Getting in/out can be slightly challenging given the doors design but you eventually figure out a ‘system’ that works. The only thing that sucks is the lack of trunk space. It’s pretty narrow so don’t even think about filling a stroller in there.
      01-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #371
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One thing I like is how it’s all carbon fiber. You won’t find that in another BMW for long time due to cost but it was the only way to keep the weight down since their battery tech at the time wasn’t all that great. The 2019 version is actually decent life but keep in mind that your range does down day 15-20% during colder weather...

Too bad the Mini EV has shitty battery. Was really looking forward to that as a potential i3 replacement but guess I’ll be waiting for the X3 EV specs...
      01-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #372
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
2002 Civic - boring as hell but I barely trust my 135i to take a drive more than an hour from home.

Just averaged 36mpg on an 800 mile road trip.

Attachment 2197921
Nice beater. How the feck do you survive without tinting them windows? I know you like to be seen in that blue beauty but still!
Appreciate 1
JM98391.00
      01-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #373
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

My daily, just finished restoring it 91 MR2 IG @Richneerd
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #374
flgfish
Private First Class