Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

12-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Shin splints and side ankle pain

What can I do to stop this pain every time I run. I run about twice a week and hike once a week. But the pain in my legs prevents me from running as fast as I used to back in the day. I know I am getting old but damn, I've had this for about 2 years now.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

The only thing that helped when I had splints was rest. Once it went away, good stretching helped a lot too.
      12-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 535I

i had shin splints up until I had my running shoes customized for me. Go to a store or shop dedicated to running only. They should be able to analyze the way you walk, run, stand etc. The shop I went to put me on the treadmill barefoot and had several different camera angles a views showing my foot placement. I fell under the neutral category. They even customized my insoles as well. I've been now running competitively for 1 year and havent had shin splints since!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDEEDUBBX View Post
i had shin splints up until I had my running shoes customized for me. Go to a store or shop dedicated to running only. They should be able to analyze the way you walk, run, stand etc. The shop I went to put me on the treadmill barefoot and had several different camera angles a views showing my foot placement. I fell under the neutral category. They even customized my insoles as well. I've been now running competitively for 1 year and havent had shin splints since!
Not everyone needs that
      12-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I had the same problem, and the best you could do is freeze small plastic cups full of water, and rub them against your shins few times a day, especially in the morning and night time before bed.

hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This! Shoes make a MAJOR difference. Completely eliminated my shin splints. It was amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

it was a suggestion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Not everyone needs that
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

shin splints? what shin splints? LOL...I now run 3-4 times with a total of 20 miles a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
This! Shoes make a MAJOR difference. Completely eliminated my shin splints. It was amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks! I'll look into getting some shoes that will work for me.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Smoove B
Urban Gorilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: oh six 330i 6MT

I endured shin splits for several years and eventually got it resolved. I can't speak to the ankle pain, but here's my personal take on the shin splits.

Shoes make a world of difference. (1) Try this web site: www.roadrunnersports.com, and determine the type of gait you have and shoes you require. (No, I don't work for Road Runner Sports). You need not order the shoes from them, but you can learn some things about how to take care of your feet. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes based on gait analysis -- your self-analysis of someone else analysis of your stride. When you run, only wear running shoes. Hey, hey, I don't mean you should go streaking. This is not that kind of site.

(2) If your weight has increased significantly since high school (as mine has) you'll likely need to strengthen your calves. I'd recommend that you do resistance training for your calves. This is best done with the machines in a gym. Now would be a good time to go on and get that gym membership if you haven't already. If you go to a gym, hit the weight machines for the calves three times weekly. You gotta load up on the weight to work the calves (200 - 300 lb. range).

(3) Get some neoprene calve supports from a local running shoe shop, or order them from Road Runner Sports.

(4) Back off the running for a while (3 months) while you build strength in the calves, but do walk vigorously for a mile or more. A gym treadmill works well for this.

(5) When you do resume running, make it slow speeds and short distances. Gradually pick up the pace and distance over a period of weeks. Warm-up and stretching are important before and after running.

Over the years I've gotten advice from different sources as you're getting. I'm telling you what has worked for me. I've done all the steps above and have left out the superfluous tips that didn't work for me.

Any way, hope this helps.

Oh yeah, one more thing.
(6) Be patient throughout the process.
      12-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
it was a suggestion..

Quote:
Not everyone needs that
I just meant custom shoes with custom insoles can be very pricey. Perhaps OP could find shoes that are comfortable and he can test in the running store, since a lot now have treadmills.
      12-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
What can I do to stop this pain every time I run. I run about twice a week and hike once a week. But the pain in my legs prevents me from running as fast as I used to back in the day. I know I am getting old but damn, I've had this for about 2 years now.
Guaranteed cure for common shin splints (barring any medical issues)

Before & after running...sit on a bench or steps. With both your feet together and off the ground, make the motion with both your feet that your writing the alphabet in the air with your toes.

By doing this, you stretch all the small muscles in the ankles (that cause shin splints) before you run and warm-down the same muscules after.

This never fails.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Mine weren't that pricey, $120ish for the shoes, and $20 for the insoles. I paid about $150 for it all. If he's going to take running seriously he's going to need the right equipment.

Quote:
I just meant custom shoes with custom insoles can be very pricey. Perhaps OP could find shoes that are comfortable and he can test in the running store, since a lot now have treadmills.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dam straight! Got mines from road runners as well, glad they had a shop nearby my office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove β View Post
I endured shin splits for several years and eventually got it resolved. I can't speak to the ankle pain, but here's my personal take on the shin splits.

Shoes make a world of difference. (1) Try this web site: www.roadrunnersports.com, and determine the type of gait you have and shoes you require. (No, I don't work for Road Runner Sports). You need not order the shoes from them, but you can learn some things about how to take care of your feet. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes based on gait analysis -- your self-analysis of someone else analysis of your stride. When you run, only wear running shoes. Hey, hey, I don't mean you should go streaking. This is not that kind of site.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

(2) If your weight has increased significantly since high school (as mine has) you'll likely need to strengthen your calves. I'd recommend that you do resistance training for your calves. This is best done with the machines in a gym. Now would be a good time to go on and get that gym membership if you haven't already. If you go to a gym, hit the weight machines for the calves three times weekly. You gotta load up on the weight to work the calves (200 - 300 lb. range).

(3) Get some neoprene calve supports from a local running shoe shop, or order them from Road Runner Sports.

(4) Back off the running for a while (3 months) while you build strength in the calves, but do walk vigorously for a mile or more. A gym treadmill works well for this.

(5) When you do resume running, make it slow speeds and short distances. Gradually pick up the pace and distance over a period of weeks. Warm-up and stretching are important before and after running.

Over the years I've gotten advice from different sources as you're getting. I'm telling you what has worked for me. I've done all the steps above and have left out the superfluous tips that didn't work for me.

Any way, hope this helps.

Oh yeah, one more thing.
(6) Be patient throughout the process.
Thanks! I will try that website and see what my gait is. I got to the gym 5 times a week, but mostly do weight training and only do legs one in that week. I know you can workout your calves a lot more frequently than other muscles. So I will begin doing more strength training for calves. I also need to do hamstring stretches because they feel real tight sometimes as well as my groin.

I just want to be able to run 3-6 miles comfortably. I want to do at least the 3 miles in 21 minutes or under.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Guaranteed cure for common shin splints (barring any medical issues)

Before & after running...sit on a bench or steps. With both your feet together and off the ground, make the motion with both your feet that your writing the alphabet in the air with your toes.

By doing this, you stretch all the small muscles in the ankles (that cause shin splints) before you run and warm-down the same muscules after.

This never fails.
Thank you I will try that next time I run/hike.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I had these pretty badly and finally gave up messing around with shoes and such and went to a physical therapist. I was highly impressed, just from watching me walking up and down the hallway she knew exactly my history on leg injuries - a hyper-extended knee and a sprained ankle. Seems I'd limped around a month or two while those things healed and to a small extent those changes stuck with me. I left her office with a variety of exercises to do, and went back after a month for a follow up for some different ones. I actually stuck with the exercises and after about 2 months total I was running w/ out any pain at all. Over that summer I went from being able to run about a mile, maybe two before it hurt too badly to continue to being able to run a half marathon distance.

Long story short - see a physical therapist that specializes in those things and don't bother trying to fix yourself if you really don't know what the problem is. Maybe I got lucky but my PT was awesome and for the cost of a couple co-pays actually did "fix" me.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

definitely check your shoed, if need be get a good running shoe consult from a store like road runner or fleet feet, where the associates can watch your foot mechanics as you impact and push off. Physical Therapy could also help with modalties and soft tissue work along with assessing and treating foot mobility issues. If the right shoes aren't the fix, try a foot orthotic as well
      12-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

i've had pretty good luck doing reverse calf raises for shin splints....

stand with heels on the edge of a stair case or something similar, hold onto something for balance and then point your toes down as far as possible, and then point them upwards as far as possible for 3 sets of 10-12... it'll really help strengthen your shins and lower part of your leg.... give it about 4-6 weeks regularly and you'll feel a big difference
      12-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #20
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

The "alphabet" thing is good. Also, you need to STRENGTHEN the Tibialis Anterior muscle. Most people overlook it and this is why shin splints are common. It's all about balance. If you work your biceps, you need to work your triceps; if you work your chest, you need to work your back. The same goes for the rest of your body and especially your lower legs. Your calves get worked much more than your shins (tibialis anterior) all-day everyday by even just walking around, so it's important to balance that workload out.

I use this in the gym a lot --> http://www.lifefitness.com/commercia...siflexion.html

Then you can also stretch it by sitting with your legs folded under you, like a prayer position.

Had terrible shin splints in Junior High, then started doing these exercises. Never had a problem since and I run A LOT. That was about 14 years ago. Hope this helps!
      12-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #21
Smoove B
Urban Gorilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: oh six 330i 6MT

Previously, in my remark #2 (Dec. 5), I assumed you have posterior shin splits. If you don't know already, you'll need to determine whether your shin splits are anterior or posterior.

I just thought of this test. While seated, if you lean forward and put right and left hands on the front of your right and left shins respectively, with palms turned toward your shins and fingers pointing toward your feet, you'll notice the pain is either directly under your palms (anterior) or under your thumbs (posterior). I already offered you my comments on posterior shin splits.

If you have anterior shin splits, here is an exercise you can do. Lie on your matress, stomach down, and lower yourself toward the footboard until you can lower the top of your feet onto the vertical edge of the matress. Now try to lift your foot against the end of the matress bending only at the ankle. Do this several times, holding for several seconds. I've not seen any gym equipment that offers resistance to the anterior shin. Maybe tvieso alludes to this in his comment above. I didn't see the equipment on the site tvieso referenced. Maybe you can find it though.

Good luck!
      12-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Previously, in my remark #2 (Dec. 5), I assumed you have posterior shin splits. If you don't know already, you'll need to determine whether your shin splits are anterior or posterior.

I just thought of this test. While seated, if you lean forward and put right and left hands on the front of your right and left shins respectively, with palms turned toward your shins and fingers pointing toward your feet, you'll notice the pain is either directly under your palms (anterior) or under your thumbs (posterior). I already offered you my comments on posterior shin splits.

If you have anterior shin splits, here is an exercise you can do. Lie on your matress, stomach down, and lower yourself toward the footboard until you can lower the top of your feet onto the vertical edge of the matress. Now try to lift your foot against the end of the matress bending only at the ankle. Do this several times, holding for several seconds. I've not seen any gym equipment that offers resistance to the anterior shin. Maybe tvieso alludes to this in his comment above. I didn't see the equipment on the site tvieso referenced. Maybe you can find it though.

Good luck!
Thanks for he advice. I'm taking a rest from running and concentrating on doing the exercises. Its sucks having my body go on "limp" mode because of this pain.

Appreciate 0