02-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #23
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateKnights View Post
You can do it with floss! Assisted by a hair dryer Jas!! ����
You don't need the hair dryer - just the floss. You don't needlessly need to heat/bake/warp your paint/body/emblems...
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      02-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #24
416tt
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, 650i, M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateKnights View Post
The 3 things that have now been done from original are: wheels painted Gloss Black, carbon trim as seen on this thread, and ive de badged the rear!! All 3 things have made it look stunning!
I really need to get around to doing that 3rd thing then - debadging

I've also had my wheels painted, but black & blue in my case:

looks great! nicely done!
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      02-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #25
Byhlinder
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

That looks really good!

How much was the cost to get the carbon fibre interior fitted?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:10 AM   #26
doobarbus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
What pieces specifically are you looking to remove? There are lots of them...

Which car (Roadster or Coupe)? What year? The interior panels are quite different in some areas...

I've removed basically ALL the panels from the pass kick panel back to the entire rear of the cabin in the 2019 i8 Roadster, but I have a hunch that's not what you are asking about...

Do you have a proper set of trim removal tools? They are quite generic and not expensive...
Have you been able to remove the upper leather dashboard trim panel without removing the entire dashboard? The leather has pulled away from the windshield (windscreen) side of the dashboard and I'd like to get it repaired. It's apparently a 10 hour job for BMW dealer to do the work. I printed out a ream's worth of paper instructions from the BMW tech site and it appears daunting, with what seems like a few unnecessary tasks. Others must have removed the upper dash trim items without such effort. Any insights appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 11:53 PM   #27
SFBayi8
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2016

Surprised in all these years no one has posted comprehensive instructions or more info on upgrading to CF trim. I just did this successfully and will share my experience! Will post something longer with photos in the future but in short:

- Yes, you can absolutely do this yourself with a set of trim tools and torx bit. Poster above mentioned removing the leather dashboard - not necessary for this at all. But is the overall install easy? No. The pieces you're removing, attaching, and the receiving clips are all somewhat fragile. But I also found them to be pretty forgiving and the BMW quality means even an unfortunate tab breaking off is covered by the redundant clips. Still, it's pretty dang stressful! But a view videos and tips make it doable. (will share more specifics!)

- Is it worth it? I think so! I bought my OEM CF trim here for $885. I'm not sure if the price changed or what, but had been watching for a while and couldn't find it for less than $1300. So when I saw that price I went for it. Was still questioning my decision, but once it came I knew it was the right choice! Looks amazing installed. Particularly love how the crosshatch stitched black fabric on the door plays into the CF weave. And love the dry textured look and feel.
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...2412960?c=az0x
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 11:42 AM   #28
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I am fortunate to have the cf in the original build. I love it. Extremely durable to boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 08:41 AM   #29
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I have the original build CF as well but the gear shifter is not in CF.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #30
wll64
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Exact same here, including in SF Bay area. Waited for the price to fall (a few years ago was $3k!). Just arrived today, and now anxiously awaiting your more specific description and photos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayi8 View Post
Surprised in all these years no one has posted comprehensive instructions or more info on upgrading to CF trim. I just did this successfully and will share my experience! Will post something longer with photos in the future but in short:

- Yes, you can absolutely do this yourself with a set of trim tools and torx bit. Poster above mentioned removing the leather dashboard - not necessary for this at all. But is the overall install easy? No. The pieces you're removing, attaching, and the receiving clips are all somewhat fragile. But I also found them to be pretty forgiving and the BMW quality means even an unfortunate tab breaking off is covered by the redundant clips. Still, it's pretty dang stressful! But a view videos and tips make it doable. (will share more specifics!)

- Is it worth it? I think so! I bought my OEM CF trim here for $885. I'm not sure if the price changed or what, but had been watching for a while and couldn't find it for less than $1300. So when I saw that price I went for it. Was still questioning my decision, but once it came I knew it was the right choice! Looks amazing installed. Particularly love how the crosshatch stitched black fabric on the door plays into the CF weave. And love the dry textured look and feel.
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...2412960?c=az0x
Appreciate 0