BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #23
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: i8 (on order)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

ETA status update from my (UK based) i Dealer:
  • Aug-14 1 x order
  • Dec-14 1 x order
  • Feb-15 2 x orders (one of which is mine - my order ETA slipped from 15-Jan-15 to mid Feb-15)
He confirmed that although they were briefed to set customer's expectations for first UK deliveries to be end of the year (Dec-14 was quoted), they seem to have pulled forward some orders.

Regarding laser lights, the BMW UK website has been updated, and now shows the following, "A second broad frame is added as a distinguishing design feature when the optional high-beam headlights with laser light technology* are selected.... *Planned availability from the end of 2014."
Ref. http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...13/design.html
(Previously it said available from November.)

On a slightly different note, the dealer is organising the test drive event and I'm booked in to test drive the i8 on 19th July

T

Last edited by Tilum; 06-12-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #24
drlonline
Lieutenant
drlonline's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: L.A., CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
ETA status update from my (UK based) i Dealer:
  • Aug-14 1 x order
  • Dec-14 1 x order
  • Feb-15 2 x orders (one of which is mine - my order ETA slipped from 15-Jan-15 to mid Feb-15)
He confirmed that although they were briefed to set customer's expectations for first UK deliveries to be end of the year (Dec-14 was quoted), they seem to have pulled forward some orders.

Regarding laser lights, the BMW UK website has been updated, and now shows the following, "A second broad frame is added as a distinguishing design feature when the optional high-beam headlights with laser light technology* are selected.... *Planned availability from the end of 2014."
(Previously it said available from November.)

On a slightly different note, the dealer is organising the test drive event and I'm booked in to test drive the i8 on 19th July

T
Tilum, very envious of you getting the test drive. I'm sure you'll give all of us a thorough review afterwards. It will be interesting to hear from a real consumer, rather than the auto journalists who have written about the test drives to date. Hopefully by the time of your test drive those of us with the early allocations in the US will actually be contacted to place our orders. It's a little unsettling that we've heard of September deliveries for initial US orders, but still do not have a configurator up on the BMWUSA site. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer (have heard from a couple sources to expect it by early July).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: i8 (on order)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Tilum, very envious of you getting the test drive. I'm sure you'll give all of us a thorough review afterwards. It will be interesting to hear from a real consumer, rather than the auto journalists who have written about the test drives to date. Hopefully by the time of your test drive those of us with the early allocations in the US will actually be contacted to place our orders. It's a little unsettling that we've heard of September deliveries for initial US orders, but still do not have a configurator up on the BMWUSA site. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer (have heard from a couple sources to expect it by early July).
Oh yeah, I must admit I'd forgotten that I probably ought to write a review of the test drive on here LOL. I've been subtly reminded, thanks

The more reviews I read, the more I hear that the car seems to be really well received by the automotive press. (Barring a few silly comparisons and remarks based on not knowing actual facts about the car.)

Although the online car configurator on the UK website has been up for months, it's not until relatively recently that it allows you to spec the various options like the Driving Assistance package. The online configurator kind of becomes irrelevant to a certain extent (unless using it to send your configuration directly to BMW UK to order your car), as the i dealerships spec the cars on the internal ordering system.

They have however made quite a few changes to the UK site in the past day or so, including further info on the Connectivity, Safety, and Charging pages.

Although my i dealer's test drive event is being arranged for Saturday 19th July (at a private location), they may be holding a launch event at the a dealership on the Friday night, the day before. I'll keep you posted.

Agreed, BMW are leaving it rather late for U.S. spec'd cars... The UK i dealers were first able to spec cars on the internal ordering system and draw up contracts on 20th March this year, with initial customer cars seeming to have an ETA of July/August. So based on July U.S. deliveries the dealers should have been able to spec them in March/April.

Fingers crossed U.S. customers aren't made to wait to long for their i8s.

T
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
Agreed, BMW are leaving it rather late for U.S. spec'd cars... The UK i dealers were first able to spec cars on the internal ordering system and draw up contracts on 20th March this year, with initial customer cars seeming to have an ETA of July/August. So based on July U.S. deliveries the dealers should have been able to spec them in March/April.

Fingers crossed U.S. customers aren't made to wait to long for their i8s.

T
I've kinda stopped constantly checking, hoping the old "watched pot never boils" adage will prove true in that the moment I truly stop caring they'll call me up to finalize my order.

My friend thinks the US has been holding back details to keep from ticking off foreign customers by waiting until they take delivery before revealing all the options they had to pay extra for are standard in the US. The logic being you're less likely to complain if you've already taken delivery. This sounds far fetched, but after the negative backlash in the SLS community when AMG started offering the "GT" "model" that was just a 20-hp tune and black trim, it has some precedent.

Otherwise there is absolutely nothing to gain by withholding details. It just makes them look unprepared and unorganized. 4-Series GranCoupe options lists are floating around and it's still further off that the i8.

On another note, what is the model year on the cars they've delivered and on the order sheets people are getting? It seems a little late into 2014 to launch a 2014 model. GM has been selling 2015's for months now.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #27
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
380
Rep
2,452
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (1)

I was under the impression that only the US (and perhaps Canada) has the model year system where a car built in '14 can by an MY15. Isn't it the case with EU countries that the year of the build date is the model year?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #28
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
3
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: i8 (on order)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
My friend thinks the US has been holding back details to keep from ticking off foreign customers by waiting until they take delivery before revealing all the options they had to pay extra for are standard in the US. The logic being you're less likely to complain if you've already taken delivery. This sounds far fetched, but after the negative backlash in the SLS community when AMG started offering the "GT" "model" that was just a 20-hp tune and black trim, it has some precedent.
TBH I don't think that's the issue as the i8 comes pretty much fully loaded (spec-wise) on UK cars. As you can see from my order form in post #2 I've not needed to add barely any options and I'm a person that all too often ticks lots of Options boxes when spec'ing new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
On another note, what is the model year on the cars they've delivered and on the order sheets people are getting? It seems a little late into 2014 to launch a 2014 model. GM has been selling 2015's for months now.
Apologies, but you'll have to excuse my ignorance with regards to MYs Carac, as the UK market seems to work rather differently to the U.S.
Generally speaking the true age of a car in the UK (when it's built) is not often known, as we (Brits) tend to determine the age of a car based on when it is first registered (on the road). The DVLA changed the registration rules back in 2001. Prior to that, cars were registered on based on a prefix letter which changed every year (in March). However due to consumers all wanting the latest reg (presumably to show off to the neighbours that they'd got a new car!) it resulted in a peak of number of cars being bought and registered in March, and consequently a lull in new cars being sold (and registered) in November-February (as everyone would 'wait' for the new registration year).
In a bid to spread new car orders more evenly throughout the year, the DVLA changed this (in 2001) such that new model year designations were issued twice a year. E.g. Cars registered in Sep-14 having a 64 prefix, Mar-15 having a 15 prefix, Sep-15 having a 65 prefix, Mar-16 having a 16 prefix, etc.

Hence if my i8 arrives in Feb-15 I will delay it being registered until Mar-15 as it will have the newer registration, and hence help improve resale value later down the line.

Hope that explains it?!?

T
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #29
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I was under the impression that only the US (and perhaps Canada) has the model year system where a car built in '14 can by an MY15. Isn't it the case with EU countries that the year of the build date is the model year?
That makes too much sense for us to use it here.

What a novel concept, the year a car is made determines it's model year.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #30
ChiTownM
Captain
ChiTownM's Avatar
United_States
105
Rep
621
Posts

Drives: M and i BMWs
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Spoke to the GM of my dealer who is heading to Munich in 3 weeks to be introduced to the i8. There is a good chance that production will be dramatically increased in the 2nd year. His allocation for this year is 3 cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #31
335ifanatic
Major
335ifanatic's Avatar
34
Rep
1,086
Posts

Drives: 18' X3, 18' 488GTB, 19' HP
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Anyone order one in Canada? My dealer is getting 5 in, he's got a waiting list of 30 already.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #32
Quilucru
New Member
2
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

I was told today that my i8 is in production phase and will be delivered by the end of July. Sounds good !
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #33
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilucru View Post
Hi,

I was told today that my i8 is in production phase and will be delivered by the end of July. Sounds good !
So 6 weeks from production to delivery in Switzerland. Seems reasonable. Add two weeks for a cross-ocean trip and customs for 8 weeks to deliver to US dealers.

I guess the question is, when was your order taken/finalized? We're a a little less than 9 weeks from Pebble Beach Concours which means (unless they are airlifting it to California) the first US delivery will need to start PRODUCTION next week. I guess they could build a single US unit in the middle of other cars but it seems they would want to build them in batches to simplify logistics. So either the Pebble Beach delivery is bunk (the rest of the rumor said other US deliveries would be held at the port until August 18th, then released to dealers), or we won't be seeing US cars until mid-late September. To make a wide release order banks would need to open this week and be in by the end of it.

Hopefully all this speculation will be irrelevant soon.

Last edited by Carac; 06-17-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #34
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Hopefully all this speculation will be irrelevant soon.
Looks like the speculation is over.

Order into dealer. Pure impulse includes some nice touches but black is the only interior choice for me.

C23 - Sophisto Grey Metallic w/BMW i Frozen Blue Accent
ZGW - Giga World
2HP - 20" BMW i Light Alloy Turbine Wheels - Style 625
5A4 - LED Headlights with cornering lights
7Y8 - Giga (Full Perforated Leather)
NGHA - Giga Amido Full Perforated Leather (Black)
4AA - Headliner in Anthracite
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #35
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
52
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Thanks for the further updates. I really like the turbine wheels, but don't want skinny tires. That may mean I go with the "W" wheels. While I've switched color preference a hundred times, I am currently thinking blue. For me, I simply think it's the most vibrant color for this unique car.
My SoCal dealer informed me today that they expect 3-4 cars in the 4Q14 and 3-4 more in the 1Q15, as initial allocations. No new news re when they will have the U.S. order guide available, but once they do, those of us near the top of their list can place hard orders and leave deposits.
The anticipation grows!
I thought the turbine wheels 2HP, style 625 were the wider tire 215/45 F and 245/40 R20 R
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #36
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
I thought the turbine wheels 2HP, style 625 were the wider tire 215/45 F and 245/40 R20 R
They are. The Style-444 rims are called "turbine" also, but aren't available in the US. They come with the thinner tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #37
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Update from my dealer, Giga isn't showing up in his release info. He's going to check and see if it was an accidental omission on the annoucement pdf or if it isn't available on the first batch.

Last edited by Carac; 07-01-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
52
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Update from my dealer, Giga isn't showing up in his release info. He's going to check and see if it was an accidental omission on the annoucement pdf or if it isn't available on the first batch.
I think only Tera World and Pure Impulse are available initially, although Giga is listed in the pricing Guide. Squeeze the client for every cent !
The interior in Dalbergia Brown is stylish and available in Tera if you don't care for grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #39
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
I think only Tera World and Pure Impulse are available initially, although Giga is listed in the pricing Guide. Squeeze the client for every cent !
The interior in Dalbergia Brown is stylish and available in Tera if you don't care for grey.
Confirmed that the system doesn't have Giga available and as of right now, it won't let you select Tera either. He said they might open the Tera orders once they get their "90% Pure Impulse" orders in. Which is fine, I'd rather have the Sophisto Grey over Spice Grey that the Tera...but I would like a Giga Black interior. I guess I can always trade for a 2015 or 2016 model down the line.

Production week is Aug 25-31st.

Last edited by Carac; 07-01-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #40
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
52
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Production week is Aug 25-31st.[/quote]

Is that what your dealer said regarding USA production ? I will try and get confirmation tomorrow on my production date, seems to tie up with a late September delivery. I am in Munich that week, I might try and get to Leipzig. What a way to launch a halo car !
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #41
Carac
Captain
85
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
Production week is Aug 25-31st.
Is that what your dealer said regarding USA production ? I will try and get confirmation tomorrow on my production date, seems to tie up with a late September delivery. I am in Munich that week, I might try and get to Leipzig. What a way to launch a halo car ![/quote]

My order in the dealer's system says week 35 production (aug 25-31). I know someone else got week 34.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #42
drlonline
Lieutenant
drlonline's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: L.A., CA

iTrader: (0)

Am I correct that all of these confirmed orders are for the Pure Impulse world, since from what I've heard, it is all that can be ordered at this time? Not sure I'm crazy about the grey interior with the crystal white exterior, which is my preference.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #43
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
52
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Am I correct that all of these confirmed orders are for the Pure Impulse world, since from what I've heard, it is all that can be ordered at this time? Not sure I'm crazy about the grey interior with the crystal white exterior, which is my preference.
It so happens that I protonic blue was my first choice ( similar to my wife's S4 Sprint Blue ) and the grey with blue stitch interior matches well, so pure impulse is it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #44
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
380
Rep
2,452
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (1)

Not to make a joke of the lack of [interior color] choice on this first batch, but reminds me a bit of the Ford Model T... "you can have the car in any color, as long as it's black."

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST