BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

BMW Protect X - UK

I had an email from the local BMW agent offering an all surface treatment for my BMW. I could copy the text but have pasted instead the link that they sent with the email.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/169667931

Has anyone tried this, cost £299 but looks good? Thing is, another dealer called me and said that they don’t put Protect X on the i8 because of the thin paint used and the different materials it’s built from. Looking for advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
I had an email from the local BMW agent offering an all surface treatment for my BMW. I could copy the text but have pasted instead the link that they sent with the email.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/169667931

Has anyone tried this, cost £299 but looks good? Thing is, another dealer called me and said that they don’t put Protect X on the i8 because of the thin paint used and the different materials it’s built from. Looking for advice?
Any good detailer can do a first stage polish followed by ceramic sealant coating. Will cost you £500-£1k for a durable well done job. Will be 1000x better than what dealership monkeys can do for you.

My i8 has had it done and looks way better than any car in a dealership showroom. Doddle to wash too.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

It depends on what treatment life you go for in comparison to cost.
Older cars also need more paint correction first so more labour cost.

For that cost, it won't be a long lasting treatment and prob 1-2 years.

The more expensive ceramic treatments are 9H hardness so need to be done by a professional in clinical conditions (not outside) as done wrongly, it's so durable, can need literally sanding off.
This does last 5 yrs thought and as said above 500-1000 for top quality.

If you are handy, rather than that cheaper treatment, something like Sonax hydrosilex (£12) is just as good or a good old fashioned wax like Autoglym HD wax (£30) will protect it for up to 6 months at a time.

In prep for that, 'clay bar' the whole car first to get the paint smooth to the touch and end with a good polish with a thick microfibre cloth.

I don't think there is any problem adding these products to any part of the car.

Detailing is a big subject but lots of you tube video's if you fancy having a go yourself! Really does depend on how good it is at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Out of curiosity I wrote to the BMW branch asking if this product can be used on an i8. Received a reply with the following:

I have emailed our contact who deals with Protect X. This is the response. “,if it’s a painted surface then the coating will only enhance and protect it. However the majority of i8 cars are wrapped, I believe it wouldn’t do anything to a wrapped surface. If it’s Individual paint it can be coated as that’s a paint surface.“

Unbelievable!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Quote:
Out of curiosity I wrote to the BMW branch asking if this product can be used on an i8. Received a reply with the following:

I have emailed our contact who deals with Protect X. This is the response. “,if it’s a painted surface then the coating will only enhance and protect it. However the majority of i8 cars are wrapped, I believe it wouldn’t do anything to a wrapped surface. If it’s Individual paint it can be coated as that’s a paint surface.“

Unbelievable!
What's wrapped on a standard i8?

The black detail on the bonnet i think is a sticker i guess but that's about it?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
What's wrapped on a standard i8?

The black detail on the bonnet i think is a sticker i guess but that's about it?
Nope, its all paint, I really dont think that the 'majority' of i8's are wrapped!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Nope, its all paint, I really dont think that the 'majority' of i8's are wrapped!
This thread is largely irrelevant now since I just put a deposit on an LCI Coupe and will be trading in the Ionic Silver 2016 model - actually, up in your neck of the woods, Sytners of Leicester. I wanted the bigger battery and additional functions of the multi-media system plus it has laser lights. Interesting!

May need to change my forum name!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 03:45 AM   #8
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
This thread is largely irrelevant now since I just put a deposit on an LCI Coupe and will be trading in the Ionic Silver 2016 model - actually, up in your neck of the woods, Sytners of Leicester. I wanted the bigger battery and additional functions of the multi-media system plus it has laser lights. Interesting!

May need to change my forum name!
Yep, they're my local dealer, about 10 miles from home for me, I take it that they gave you a good deal! what colour are you going for this time?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Yep, they're my local dealer, about 10 miles from home for me, I take it that they gave you a good deal! what colour are you going for this time?
Donnington Grey with white premium interior, hopefully I can keep it clean!
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Donnington rocks. LCI great too.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Congratulations. Donington suits the i8 very well. When will you collect the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1M View Post
Congratulations. Donington suits the i8 very well. When will you collect the car?
Thursday, provided the garage remains open!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Name:  20200323_200730.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  538.8 KB

...is an example of a 4 layer ceramics coating. I am skeptical that the BMW treatment is anything similar. Lasts about 5 years. Hand washing of course, which is easy, just rinse...
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
Birdland
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster Doninton Grey

The personnel working at my BMW dealer/service just doesn’t have the mindset and focus for this type of delicate operation.
Appreciate 0