Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #45
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

Guys I did not make my mind yet.. It's just that i was looking around fo all the used bikes around my area and found this deal.... I am assuming that it is really hard to find a used bike of that year/ make for that price.... Please let me know if you know any of the rides that u suggest selling for thr same price range and I will go for it..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #46
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
^^ You are an idiot if you honestly think that... either that or you have never ridden a motorcycle before.

A 250 is a great learners bike. Also if you don't want to have to trade up in 6 months to a year then you could start on the SV650 as mentioned before or even a 650R. Those bikes are not quite as high strung.

Whatever you do it is smart not to start on a SS bike like some idiots would tell you.

A much better place to read up on those motorcycles would be motorcycleforum.com. I know multiple people on there that ride 250s even after riding for a while because of the MPG and the manuverability. Not everyone needs loads of power. They have a section just for people beginning and looking for bikes.
i think you're the idiot for thinking that this is such a complicated process. i've seen too many people start on 600s and even 1000s and they are doing just fine because they aren't stupid and they take it slow. only a bitch would buy a 250 in order to "work his way up".
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #47
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuarma View Post
i think you're the idiot for thinking that this is such a complicated process. i've seen too many people start on 600s and even 1000s and they are doing just fine because they aren't stupid and they take it slow. only a bitch would buy a 250 in order to "work his way up".
your illiteracy on the subject of motorcycles baffles me. Motorcycling is no joke. Just because people you know that started on a 600cc or 1000cc and are fine, doesn't mean its a good decision. How about yo ugo on any of the big japanese companies motorcycle website and so some reading. You would then see that they themselves say "NOT FOR BEGINNER RIDERS". If that isn't clear enough, I don' know what is. here's a question, what do yo uand your friends do on a motorcycle? By the answer you give me, I will be able to tell you as to how much you actually know about motorcycling and if motorcycling is anything more than a "looking cool" toy to you and your so called "friends".

And the whole bitch move about starting small is one of the lamest excuses i've heard to date. People start on smaller displacement bikes so that they can know the ins and outs of motorcycling, and not just getting a 600cc or litre bike because they think they can handle it and it looks cooler. A experienced 250cc rider will out corner any 600cc bike. Not to mention a 600cc SS can put faster lap times than litre bikes. This holds true because of maneuverability.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #48
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
only a bitch would buy a 250 in order to "work his way up".
^^^^^^^Definitely some genes we need to keep clear of the gene pool. Fortunately, guys like you usually work your way out of it before you do too much damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
your illiteracy on the subject of motorcycles baffles me. Motorcycling is no joke. Just because people you know that started on a 600cc or 1000cc and are fine, doesn't mean its a good decision. How about yo ugo on any of the big japanese companies motorcycle website and so some reading. You would then see that they themselves say "NOT FOR BEGINNER RIDERS". If that isn't clear enough, I don' know what is. here's a question, what do yo uand your friends do on a motorcycle? By the answer you give me, I will be able to tell you as to how much you actually know about motorcycling and if motorcycling is anything more than a "looking cool" toy to you and your so called "friends".

And the whole bitch move about starting small is one of the lamest excuses i've heard to date. People start on smaller displacement bikes so that they can know the ins and outs of motorcycling, and not just getting a 600cc or litre bike because they think they can handle it and it looks cooler. A experienced 250cc rider will out corner any 600cc bike. Not to mention a 600cc SS can put faster lap times than litre bikes. This holds true because of maneuverability.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #49
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
You consistently fail. You fail yourself, and you fail us. You fail everyone around you and everyone who has ever known, seen, or even heard of you. You wear hopelessly out of style Fila shoes because you thought that fila was how you spell fail, not realizing that you failed in the process, which only further exacerbates your fail. You eat at chick-fil-a for the same reason, and yes, you even failed the chickens. Small farm animals don't even like you. Are you happy now?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #50
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper9009 View Post
How about a 2006 cbr 600cc with 7k miles for $3500???
Not ganna lie.. that is a good deal..

I been riding for a while.
Currently own a 07 zx6r and a 01 gsxr 1000
I started off on a 2002 zx6r and I must say it was a GOOD bike to start off on. People do say 250 is the smart choice (which it is) BUT I STRONGLY believe "some" 600's are good bikes to start off on. By some i mean 1998-2002 zx6r (zzr), cbr f4i... B/c these bikes are fast, but not CRAZY fast, and they arent slow either. And most importantly they dont look bad.

If you learn to take things slow as I did. Take the MSF course ( thats all the time you need on a 250cc). RESEARCH about mistakes people have made on motorcycles. Most importantly, take your bike to an empty lot and LEARN your motorcycle and LEARN your limit. I think you will be fine.

600rr might be too much to handle, and you would feel awful dropping it and finding out it cost average 2 grand to fix a dropped bike...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #51
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Oyes I would like to add
You wont have as much fun on a 1000 like you would on a 600.
If you actually ride well, I mean once you become a beast on taking corners and all and you step up to a 1000. You will want to sell the 1000 and get back on a newer 600.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #52
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
You consistently fail. You fail yourself, and you fail us. You fail everyone around you and everyone who has ever known, seen, or even heard of you. You wear hopelessly out of style Fila shoes because you thought that fila was how you spell fail, not realizing that you failed in the process, which only further exacerbates your fail. You eat at chick-fil-a for the same reason, and yes, you even failed the chickens. Small farm animals don't even like you. Are you happy now?
That is some hardcore fail.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:58 AM   #53
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Not only are you offensive but lack substance behind your argument. I have seen beginner riders operate Hayabusa's and R1's because they think its the cool thing to do, but they don't know how to do a figure 8 or a proper u-turn. You are a joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #54
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I don't bike but I think the philosophy would be the same. Would you give an inexperienced 16 year old driver a 600hp car? Would he be safe? Possibly. Is it a smart move? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #55
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post

Sig worthy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #56
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMember View Post
Not ganna lie.. that is a good deal..

I been riding for a while.
Currently own a 07 zx6r and a 01 gsxr 1000
I started off on a 2002 zx6r and I must say it was a GOOD bike to start off on. People do say 250 is the smart choice (which it is) BUT I STRONGLY believe "some" 600's are good bikes to start off on. By some i mean 1998-2002 zx6r (zzr), cbr f4i... B/c these bikes are fast, but not CRAZY fast, and they arent slow either. And most importantly they dont look bad.
If you learn to take things slow as I did. Take the MSF course ( thats all the time you need on a 250cc). RESEARCH about mistakes people have made on motorcycles. Most importantly, take your bike to an empty lot and LEARN your motorcycle and LEARN your limit. I think you will be fine.

600rr might be too much to handle, and you would feel awful dropping it and finding out it cost average 2 grand to fix a dropped bike...
Another critical mistake. Those bikes in there time period were the pinacle of the SS lineup. Just like how the current year of japanese SS bikes are now. Just because a 600cc SS bike is older, does not mean they are any less dangerous or a good choice as a first motorcycle. But if you were to choose between a current year CBR600RR and a CBR F4i, then the F4i is a better choice as a begginers bike. That said, none of those bikes are GOOD begginer bikes. Ofcourse you can start on them, but that does not mean it is a good choice. Anyone who genuinely loves motorcycles will not shun a motorcycle purely based on its displacement and looks, they are merely part of the equation. Again, if the OP wants a bigger bike, then a SV650 shall suffice.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #57
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
I don't bike but I think the philosophy would be the same. Would you give an inexperienced 16 year old driver a 600hp car? Would he be safe? Possibly. Is it a smart move? Probably not.
Pretty much. I hate it when people pull the "I started on a SS bike and i'm fine, or my friends did and they are fine" card. They may be fine for now, but statistics show time and time again that lack of experience plays a huge part in accidents, on a SS or litre bike every minor error can be made into a major error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fupa92 View Post
Not only are you offensive but lack substance behind your argument. I have seen beginner riders operate Hayabusa's and R1's because they think its the cool thing to do, but they don't know how to do a figure 8 or a proper u-turn. You are a joke.
you can tell as to how much a person knows about riding not by what motorcycle they ride, but what they can do with that motorcycle.

Quote:
Oyes I would like to add
You wont have as much fun on a 1000 like you would on a 600.
If you actually ride well, I mean once you become a beast on taking corners and all and you step up to a 1000. You will want to sell the 1000 and get back on a newer 600.
Exactly. Unfortunetly many riders can't do jack all besides twist the throttle on the straights and think they are a gift of god to all that is motorcycling.

keep in mind this is coming from an 18 year old. If I can take the advice of others anyone can. I once wanted an R6 as my first bike when I was completely illiterate on the subject of motorcycles, thank god I didn't get one thanks to people giving the right advice and me in part listening to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #58
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Another critical mistake. Those bikes in there time period were the pinacle of the SS lineup. Just like how the current year of japanese SS bikes are now. Just because a 600cc SS bike is older, does not mean they are any less dangerous or a good choice as a first motorcycle. But if you were to choose between a current year CBR600RR and a CBR F4i, then the F4i is a better choice as a begginers bike. That said, none of those bikes are GOOD begginer bikes. Ofcourse you can start on them, but that does not mean it is a good choice. Anyone who genuinely loves motorcycles will not shun a motorcycle purely based on its displacement and looks, they are merely part of the equation. Again, if the OP wants a bigger bike, then a SV650 shall suffice.
I agree with what you are saying but also disagree on some terms. I strongly believe IF you have completed the MSF course you do not need to start off on a 250cc bike. You will have enough experience on a 250cc to ride a bigger bike. What ever you can learn on a 250cc you can learn on a 600cc. There are things you can learn on a 600cc you cant learn on a 250cc.
To me personally a 250cc motorcycle is basically a scooter. I would however recommend a person to start off on a 250cc motorcycle IF they have NEVER EVER ridden a motorcycle before and are not willing to take the MSF course. ONLY in that circumstance.
If you did the MSF course go for an F4i or a 01/02 zx6r.. you will be fine. I was, I took another racing course and I lap people on 1000 on the track easy. People have even stopped me on my ninja on the street thinking it was turboed when I would over take people on 1000's in corners.

Quote:
Anyone who genuinely loves motorcycles will not shun a motorcycle purely based on its displacement and looks,
Razzy dont know buy a car based on its displacement and looks? Well same goes for a motorcycle, you buy the one that attracts you. If that wasnt the case you would have bought an older ninja 250 and not the newer one. since you genuinely love motorcycles....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #59
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Unfortunetly many riders can't do jack all besides twist the throttle on the straights and think they are a gift of god to all that is motorcycling.
Just my 2cent.. some people dont care to knee drag taking corners. Some people like to cruise on sport bikes. ever think of that? they dont care if their tires are flat in the center, its their preferred style of riding.. so just twisting the throttle makes them happy..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #60
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying but also disagree on some terms. I strongly believe IF you have completed the MSF course you do not need to start off on a 250cc bike. You will have enough experience on a 250cc to ride a bigger bike. What ever you can learn on a 250cc you can learn on a 600cc. There are things you can learn on a 600cc you cant learn on a 250cc.
To me personally a 250cc motorcycle is basically a scooter. I would however recommend a person to start off on a 250cc motorcycle IF they have NEVER EVER ridden a motorcycle before and are not willing to take the MSF course. ONLY in that circumstance.
If you did the MSF course go for an F4i or a 01/02 zx6r.. you will be fine. I was, I took another racing course and I lap people on 1000 on the track easy. People have even stopped me on my ninja on the street thinking it was turboed when I would over take people on 1000's in corners.

Razzy dont know buy a car based on its displacement and looks? Well same goes for a motorcycle, you buy the one that attracts you. If that wasnt the case you would have bought an older ninja 250 and not the newer one. since you genuinely love motorcycles....
I've taken MSF, and learned a great deal. They teach you how to apply the skills you learned, and the best possible way to do that is on a beginner motorcycle like a ninja 250r for example. Now ofcourse the v-twins like the SV650 or the 650R are not a bad choice either. The F4i and ZX6r are SS bikes, with touchy throttle and brakes. They are also a bit heavier. Those are only a few reasons as to why they are not GOOD beginner bikes.

Ofcourse you can start off on a SS bike and still be fine, but you yourself must agree that a lower end motorcycle like the ones mentioned before are the best way to start off, in order to learn.

I never said looks or displacement do not play a role when it comes time o purchasing a vehicle. I said they are just a factor.

Quote:
Just my 2cent.. some people dont care to knee drag taking corners. Some people like to cruise on sport bikes. ever think of that? they dont care if their tires are flat in the center, its their preferred style of riding.. so just twisting the throttle makes them happy..

I understand that not everyone rides to drag a knee etc. Hell my main objective is not to do so either. I love to ride but sportbikes have certain implications and uses. These bikes are track focused bikes(SS and litre bikes), and ofcoure can be cruised on aswell. These bikes are meant to carve corners yet have great straight line excelleration. I just find it useless that someone can only twist the throttle and go in a straight line and when it comes to corners, they come to crawl to an extent where you can walk faster. Ofcourse this does not apply to begginers. I'm talking about the guys that think they are "veterans" on the subject of motorcycling, when all they can do is ride fro mone starbucks to another.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #61
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

[QUOTE=Razzy;7288846]I've taken MSF, and learned a great deal. They teach you how to apply the skills you learned, and the best possible way to do that is on a beginner motorcycle like a ninja 250r for example. Now ofcourse the v-twins like the SV650 or the 650R are not a bad choice either. The F4i and ZX6r are SS bikes, with touchy throttle and brakes. They are also a bit heavier. Those are only a few reasons as to why they are not GOOD beginner bikes.

The MSF course is only 2 days, most people are not experts when they complete the course. They have just shown the ability to accelerate, brake, and swerve out of obstacles (without external factors like traffic). A 250 is perfectly acceptable, especially for lighter individuals or women.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #62
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fupa92 View Post

The MSF course is only 2 days, most people are not experts when they complete the course. They have just shown the ability to accelerate, brake, and swerve out of obstacles (without external factors like traffic). A 250 is perfectly acceptable, especially for lighter individuals or women.

Correcto.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #63
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
If you want to start on a 90's SS bike it isn't the worst decision. They are probably similar to the 650R or SV650.

Just know that if you do start on a SS bike, even if you are smart, it will take you 5 times longer to learn how to do the basics (like turning). You will learn much faster and safer on a smaller bike and you can always trade up later if you don't feel it is a good fit for you. The 250s sell at almost new prices consistently cause they are such good beginner bikes. Everyone wants them... well all the smart ones anyway.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #64
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep

razzy I guess you are right... I guess for my brothers and I it has been a little different since we grew up riding dirt bikes, scooters, mopeds, even pocket bikes haha.. So we were a little confident in starting with a 600cc bike. We still took it slow, and imo we did fine.
I thought of a bike the op might want to look into "hyosung gt650r" its actually a bit slower then the 650r and sv650.. but imo its not a bad bike. CHEAP TOO!
I believe the 650r and sv have more mid range power, making them a track worthy bike. So maybe not ideal for beginners?

OYea razzy i believe we fancy the same helmet? Gmax?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #65
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

I am looking for all kinda used motorcycles 250/600 cc around me and will keep your sugegstions in mind for a 650R. As far as the clasess are concerned the earliest class available is Jun 17th . By the way the bike I was talking about is a 2006CBR 4I , i dont know if there is a difference between this one and the regular CBR 600rr.......

by the way I was wondering if the motorcycles can be lowered ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #66
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep

before
http://s2.bikewalls.com/pictures/Suz...1_1024x768.jpg
after
http://www.bookas-kustoms.com/galler...600LOWERED.jpg

so yes

lowering links...