05-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #67
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMember View Post
razzy I guess you are right... I guess for my brothers and I it has been a little different since we grew up riding dirt bikes, scooters, mopeds, even pocket bikes haha.. So we were a little confident in starting with a 600cc bike. We still took it slow, and imo we did fine.
I thought of a bike the op might want to look into "hyosung gt650r" its actually a bit slower then the 650r and sv650.. but imo its not a bad bike. CHEAP TOO!
I believe the 650r and sv have more mid range power, making them a track worthy bike. So maybe not ideal for beginners?

OYea razzy i believe we fancy the same helmet? Gmax?
Dirt riding experience is better than no experience all, althoughbut street riding is a whole different ball game. Yes it is a GMAX GM68 helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper9009 View Post
I am looking for all kinda used motorcycles 250/600 cc around me and will keep your sugegstions in mind for a 650R. As far as the clasess are concerned the earliest class available is Jun 17th . By the way the bike I was talking about is a 2006CBR 4I , i dont know if there is a difference between this one and the regular CBR 600rr.......

by the way I was wondering if the motorcycles can be lowered ?
Yes they can, as NewMember said, although i would greatly discourage you to do so. Lowering the bike can change its handling characteristics greatly and can cause you to drag hard parts during turns. This is one of the reasons a 250R is a good beginer bike because of its lower seat height. I'm only 5'7 and 145lbs, and when I first got my ninja, I could't flat foot it. As you gain seat time and experience you will realize being able to flat foot a motorcycle while it is stationary is not end all be all, but it does help.

It is good to hear you are still looking for a good bike. Keep an open mind and look harder, there are always good begginer motorcycles to be had at good prices. There is a big difference between the F4i and 600RR. The 600RR has a more aggresive riding postion, more power, pretty much everything is much more race focused, but that doesn't mean the F4i isn't. A few years ago the F4i was the equivalent of the 600rr. In the end the decision lies with you. I'm just trying to help because i know how much good advice can really mean.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #68
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: '06 330xI, '04 YZF R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Pretty much. I hate it when people pull the "I started on a SS bike and i'm fine, or my friends did and they are fine" card. They may be fine for now, but statistics show time and time again that lack of experience plays a huge part in accidents, on a SS or litre bike every minor error can be made into a major error.

you can tell as to how much a person knows about riding not by what motorcycle they ride, but what they can do with that motorcycle.

Exactly. Unfortunetly many riders can't do jack all besides twist the throttle on the straights and think they are a gift of god to all that is motorcycling.

keep in mind this is coming from an 18 year old. If I can take the advice of others anyone can. I once wanted an R6 as my first bike when I was completely illiterate on the subject of motorcycles, thank god I didn't get one thanks to people giving the right advice and me in part listening to them.

All that is pretty much true. The fact that someone rides a 1000cc bike or learned in a big SS bike and they are fine does not mean that they have honed all the necessary skills to ride a motorcycle properly. Yes, there are different riding styles out there, cruising, knee dragging, twisting the throttle in the straights, but when I talk about skill I talk about the set of skills that every rider should have. Like being good at avoiding accidents, improving reaction time, being able to control the bike in difficult circumstances, avoid obstacles and doing emergency maneuvers. Also include the visual skills like being able to pick up information about your surroundings, the surface you are riding on and reference points with your peripheral vision without having to take your eyes from where you want to go. That's fine, pretty much anyone can get in any bike and ride it. But the question is, are they riding that bike properly? Regardless of the bike, be it a SS, a small displacement bike, a cruiser or a chopper, you need those skills to be able to avoid accidents and live to ride another day. That's what I call riding a bike properly.

'06 330Xi, '04 CBR600RR, '04 YZF-R1, '06CBR600RR, '10 S1000RR
M-tech, Injen, Hamann, Remus, KW, Breyton
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #69
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

rather then lowering a bike, you can do what my friend did. He shaved his seat a bit so he would not have to mess with the bikes overall, plus its cheaper.
Though a bike can be lowered to improve performance. If you research and set the motorcycles height equivalent to what it should be for your height and weight it can actually help you out in performance. im 6 1 and i can easily flat foot all bikes. But i believe the way most bikes come are set for ppl who are 5 11 and weight 150 pounds. Not too sure about that tho, did read on it somewhere. Razzy would you know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #70
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Dirt riding experience is better than no experience all, althoughbut street riding is a whole different ball game. Yes it is a GMAX GM68 helmet.

Yes they can, as NewMember said, although i would greatly discourage you to do so. Lowering the bike can change its handling characteristics greatly and can cause you to drag hard parts during turns. This is one of the reasons a 250R is a good beginer bike because of its lower seat height. I'm only 5'7 and 145lbs, and when I first got my ninja, I could't flat foot it. As you gain seat time and experience you will realize being able to flat foot a motorcycle while it is stationary is not end all be all, but it does help.

It is good to hear you are still looking for a good bike. Keep an open mind and look harder, there are always good begginer motorcycles to be had at good prices. There is a big difference between the F4i and 600RR. The 600RR has a more aggresive riding postion, more power, pretty much everything is much more race focused, but that doesn't mean the F4i isn't. A few years ago the F4i was the equivalent of the 600rr. In the end the decision lies with you. I'm just trying to help because i know how much good advice can really mean.

I will take your words as you seem to be physically same as me 5.7' hgt and 140lbs.... I would definitely like a ride where I can have both my feet touching to handle the bike better .....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #71
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy330xi View Post
All that is pretty much true. The fact that someone rides a 1000cc bike or learned in a big SS bike and they are fine does not mean that they have honed all the necessary skills to ride a motorcycle properly. Yes, there are different riding styles out there, cruising, knee dragging, twisting the throttle in the straights, but when I talk about skill I talk about the set of skills that every rider should have. Like being good at avoiding accidents, improving reaction time, being able to control the bike in difficult circumstances, avoid obstacles and doing emergency maneuvers. Also include the visual skills like being able to pick up information about your surroundings, the surface you are riding on and reference points with your peripheral vision without having to take your eyes from where you want to go. That's fine, pretty much anyone can get in any bike and ride it. But the question is, are they riding that bike properly? Regardless of the bike, be it a SS, a small displacement bike, a cruiser or a chopper, you need those skills to be able to avoid accidents and live to ride another day. That's what I call riding a bike properly.
Very ture

also i hate it when people on sport bikes would be going 70mph and slowing down to 15 to take a turn...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #72
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Very ture

also i hate it when people on sport bikes would be going 70mph and slowing down to 15 to take a turn...
Those are the people that everyone here mentions they learned in a 600cc SS or a 1000cc sportbike monster and are fine. Yeah, fine while the road is straight, they never learned to ride the bike properly, they only care about looks and what other people might think. I call those handicapped riders.

Also, going back to skills, I recommend riding in a variety of riding conditions. I personally like to practice in the rain since you are forced to be extra smooth, that pays off when you are riding in dry tarmac and nailing every corner with ease and smoothly. Everything flows. You never know what mother nature is going to throw at you, and other cage drivers too.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #73
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
No disrepect bro.... Really appreciate the suggestions here however the bike will be off highway so taking my chances....
Don't think that means much. It's not the highway that will hurt you, it's the corners at 15mph or the jackass pulling out from a sidestreet.

Quote:
I am looking for all kinda used motorcycles 250/600 cc around me and will keep your sugegstions in mind for a 650R. As far as the clasess are concerned the earliest class available is Jun 17th . By the way the bike I was talking about is a 2006CBR 4I , i dont know if there is a difference between this one and the regular CBR 600rr.......

by the way I was wondering if the motorcycles can be lowered ?
There is entirely a difference between the "CBR600F4i" and the "CBR600RR". The F4i is a sportbike, the RR is a supersport. A 2002 600 sportbike is the fastest I would personally ever advise/allow to a beginner, and generally only if they have prior dirtbiking experience. As others mentioned, don't lower your bike, it will mess up your handling. Shave the seat or just tiptoe at lights.

Trooper, try looking for EX500 or Honda CBR600F3. Those are both bikes you have a better chance at handling.
      05-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #74
Seabiscuit
Aequitas Veritas
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have almost no experience on bikes, but i want one of these...

1955 Triumph Trophy (500cc)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-...7?cmd=ViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trium...QQcmdZViewItem

1955 sunbeam S7 (500cc)

1953 BMW R51/3

Anybody can get a crotch rocket and an asian girlfriend to ride on the back, but these bikes have true style..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #75
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

I'm going to go ahead and say what everybody else is saying. Get a small cc bike to start off with or a 650 vtwin. They're a lot more forgiving than a rr bike.

My first bike was a sv650, dropped it the first day, had that for 4 months. Traded it in for a brand new gsxr750. I wrecked that thing not 2 weeks later. Going into a corner 60-70mph, fixated on the gravel and lowsided. Screwed up my wrist (just now fully healed, accident happened almost a year ago) and road rash on my back. Considering the speed and the condition of the bike afterwards I was very lucky to walk away. Insurance paid off the bike, decided to get another 750, a used one this time. Determined not to have that happen again, I went to my first track day only after riding for 6 months. Now I've been riding for a year, been to 3 track days, gone through more bikes than I wish to, and currently ride a 08 gsxr 1000.

Moral of the story is, if I hadn't been impatient and stuck with that sv650 a little longer, I wouldn't have had to go through the painful experience of wrecking and recovering from my injuries. Although it did force me to learn how to ride properly, quicker. And a vtwin will have more low end torque for city riding, which is easier for newbs. Get the 250 or sv, learn, grow, move on. A used one will hold its value just as well as the day you bought it. I gaurantee you there's going to be somebody asking these same questions next year.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #76
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
Rep

1953 BMW R51/3 i want...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #77
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
My first bike was a sv650, dropped it the first day, had that for 4 months. Traded it in for a brand new gsxr750. I wrecked that thing not 2 weeks later. Going into a corner 60-70mph, fixated on the gravel and lowsided. Screwed up my wrist (just now fully healed, accident happened almost a year ago) and road rash on my back. Considering the speed and the condition of the bike afterwards I was very lucky to walk away. Insurance paid off the bike, decided to get another 750, a used one this time. Determined not to have that happen again, I went to my first track day only after riding for 6 months. Now I've been riding for a year, been to 3 track days, gone through more bikes than I wish to, and currently ride a 08 gsxr 1000.

Moral of the story is, if I hadn't been impatient and stuck with that sv650 a little longer, I wouldn't have had to go through the painful experience of wrecking and recovering from my injuries. Although it did force me to learn how to ride properly, quicker. And a vtwin will have more low end torque for city riding, which is easier for newbs. Get the 250 or sv, learn, grow, move on. A used one will hold its value just as well as the day you bought it. I gaurantee you there's going to be somebody asking these same questions next year.
Thanks for weighing in. This is the common experience of most people getting sportbikes too quickly. I'm glad you got back on the horse and got to a few trackdays (crazy how much they teach you, huh?). Ride safe
      05-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #78
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Thanks for weighing in. This is the common experience of most people getting sportbikes too quickly. I'm glad you got back on the horse and got to a few trackdays (crazy how much they teach you, huh?). Ride safe
you do learn a lot at track days. But I forgot everything and lost all my confidence over the winter riding break. Just starting now to pick back up
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #79
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Those are the people that everyone here mentions they learned in a 600cc SS or a 1000cc sportbike monster and are fine. Yeah, fine while the road is straight, they never learned to ride the bike properly, they only care about looks and what other people might think. I call those handicapped riders.

Also, going back to skills, I recommend riding in a variety of riding conditions. I personally like to practice in the rain since you are forced to be extra smooth, that pays off when you are riding in dry tarmac and nailing every corner with ease and smoothly. Everything flows. You never know what mother nature is going to throw at you, and other cage drivers too.
Quote:
So very true. OP after this thread I hope you make the right choice and get an idea as t ohow to prepare and be a skilled rider.

Quote:
rather then lowering a bike, you can do what my friend did. He shaved his seat a bit so he would not have to mess with the bikes overall, plus its cheaper.
Though a bike can be lowered to improve performance. If you research and set the motorcycles height equivalent to what it should be for your height and weight it can actually help you out in performance. im 6 1 and i can easily flat foot all bikes. But i believe the way most bikes come are set for ppl who are 5 11 and weight 150 pounds. Not too sure about that tho, did read on it somewhere. Razzy would you know anything about this?
Yes, shaving the seat is an alternatice that I have heard about, but you only have so much to work with. If not done right, it can be a pretty useless and uncomfortable. Again I would not reccomend lowering links or even shaving the seat. There are always other bikes out there, and like I said before you don't HAVE to be able to flat foot a bike if your experienced rider that is.

Quote:
I will take your words as you seem to be physically same as me 5.7' hgt and 140lbs.... I would definitely like a ride where I can have both my feet touching to handle the bike better .....
Again, the Ninja 250r is your best bet.

Quote:
Very ture

Unfortunetly is quite common among sportbike riders. You can really tell the mark of a man by how he takes a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and say what everybody else is saying. Get a small cc bike to start off with or a 650 vtwin. They're a lot more forgiving than a rr bike.

Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #80
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

Thanks guys for all the feedback..appreciate it...will let you if I happen to find one and buy it...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #81
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Yeah, I cannot flat foot my R6 but I can still handle the beast.

My personal favorite is I ride with a guy out here who started on a SS bike and when we go to park I usually find 2 open spots, pull a u turn and park so I can just pull out. He tried it once and it turned into a 5 point turn!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #82
dtp3347
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver E92 335i

sorry to but I am looking at getting into a bike in the near future and having ridden 250s and 450s motocross/dirt bikes for about 5 years what would you guys recommend as my first bike?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #83
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp3347 View Post
sorry to but I am looking at getting into a bike in the near future and having ridden 250s and 450s motocross/dirt bikes for about 5 years what would you guys recommend as my first bike?
^ Same applies to you. You have some advantage over trooper since you already know how to steer a bike and you are obviously familiar with the controls. Start with something small and get in your comfort zone, get familiar with the dynamics of street riding. You might not have to spend as much time in a small bike and be able to move on faster but till you know that for sure just go the safe route and start small.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #84
jlfullmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Alpine White

What if you're a big (inexperienced) guy like me - 250-260 lbs?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #85
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

GXSR 600?

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #86
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Okay some of you might flame me but whatever, I just want to share a story.

Ive always motox and ridden quads. So I was confident with my riding. My dad has a CBR 929 and i decided to take it out and ride around I took it on my block 1st and i felt no difference (tbh). So off i go to the highway and boy does that bike get moving fast!! 1st-3rd gear the front wheel will get off the ground about 2inches. It was one of the most amazing thrills in my teenage years The only thing i wasn't that comfy with was complete stops, I'm too short for a huge bike like that. I'd just lean off to my right side and just plant my right foot

Ever since I've been addicted to ridding. I sometimes ride the 929 or some of my father's friends bikes; from ninja 250's and 600's with them to look after me in huge parking lots.

Honestly I think that if you have experience on dirtbikes you're good to go. I'm not saying jump on a 929rr like i did. When i do get my own bike and ride frequently ill go no bigger than a 600.

Go ahead and flame.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #87
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Putting my order in next month and turning my R1 into a track bike.

This is me

Have to make some pics of my E92 M3 and the S1000RR together...................
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #88
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
Okay some of you might flame me but whatever, I just want to share a story.

Ive always motox and ridden quads. So I was confident with my riding. My dad has a CBR 929 and i decided to take it out and ride around I took it on my block 1st and i felt no difference (tbh). So off i go to the highway and boy does that bike get moving fast!! 1st-3rd gear the front wheel will get off the ground about 2inches. It was one of the most amazing thrills in my teenage years The only thing i wasn't that comfy with was complete stops, I'm too short for a huge bike like that. I'd just lean off to my right side and just plant my right foot

Ever since I've been addicted to ridding. I sometimes ride the 929 or some of my father's friends bikes; from ninja 250's and 600's with them to look after me in huge parking lots.

Honestly I think that if you have experience on dirtbikes you're good to go. I'm not saying jump on a 929rr like i did. When i do get my own bike and ride frequently ill go no bigger than a 600.

Go ahead and flame.

You asked for it. Here it goes... Now take it like a man.

That is the perfect example of complete ignorance talking. You my friend, will become a statistic next time you get on that bike, and worst of all, you will not be around to see your father blame it all on himself for letting you ride that bike. You are another one of those guys that rides a bike once and call themselves decent riders and that they learned on a SS bike and they are fine. You got on the highway and twisted the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground and that was thrilling. You are just irresponsible, ignorant, have no consideration for others and don't value your life or the ones around you. Did you even know what that bike is capable of, how many laws you broke just doing that stupid stunt, riding that bike for the first time. Did you even thought of the consequences? Were you wearing the proper motorcycle specific gear? or are you another squid getting ready to cover the front page and take your life and the ones of innocent people around you.

To all the beginners here. Listen to what inexperience and ignorance make you do. Think about it. Do you really want to be this idiot?

People looks after you in parking lots and you think you have some experience, you don't even realize what experience is. So go ahead and continue giving noobs like you that kind of advice. They will keep filling the statistics books just like you are about to do.

You have been flamed, just wait for the other true riders here to follow and you will realize how stupid your decisions were. Hope you never do that again.

Appreciate 0