Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-18-2024, 04:29 AM   #23
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Some more progress. Car is pretty much complete without the skin. I tried connecting a new 12v battery and charging it but there’s no connection with the high voltage system. Need to figure that out first.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blackdog76; 03-18-2024 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Pics
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:48 PM   #24
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

No connection, pyro fuse blown

I took apart the positive battery terminal and looks like the pyro fuse is blown. Not sure where to find this. They offer new cables and rebuilds but not the fuse from what I can find.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:39 PM   #25
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Without a doubt the pyro fuse would be blown after a crash like your car experienced.
They are readily available on a rebuild basis.

https://www.myairbags.com/product/bm...rminal-repair/
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 03:25 PM   #26
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastali8 View Post
Without a doubt the pyro fuse would be blown after a crash like your car experienced.
They are readily available on a rebuild basis.

https://www.myairbags.com/product/bm...rminal-repair/
I ordered an X5 terminal from Amazon. It has the fuse already installed. The X5 uses the same small battery as the I8 so the terminal should be the same.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:39 PM   #27
perj42
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1994 840ci

I love ur rebuild! I wanted to tell u my
Story and ask for urs or anyone’s advice on here.

I hydroplaned/ crashed my bmw i8 hitting rear left side on 5 freeway center median divider during storm last month. and police pushed the car off freeway while doing so car went into park :/

The big aluminum plate protecting underneath the car has a small bend in it now from the impact. This car already had an impact in the same
Exact spot prior to my buying it. So ive already rebuilt and welded the frame
On the rear left side before.. now i put the car back together and whenever the gas engine kicks in, the transmission starts reving high and i can hear metal on metal noises. Im hoping the cv axle isnt popped in all the way so im taking it apart and putting it back together again and hitting it harder to make sure its all the way in…

Now incase it isnt is there a way to replace the trans without removing the subframe? As penskee auto body (bmw of san diego/
And escondido body shop) told me since the plate underneath the car is a bit bent and more than likely the frame/ body is tweaked and if the frame comes off it won’t screw back into place…

I already purchased a replacement subframe 2 years or so ago before deciding the weld the frame. So i have one sitting here id love to use as well i found a great deal on used transmissions for the i8…

Can someone give me some info, if body is bent will the frame not screw back in?

Does the subframe have to come off in order to replace the transmission?

Thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:09 AM   #28
Flasher
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

ZGW_SEARCH for finding ENET IP address

To Blackdog76 - this is a small program to find your ZGW IP address using your ENET cable. good luck !

both files should be in the same folder.....
Attached Files
File Type: zip ENET.zip (130.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Flasher; 03-23-2024 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:42 PM   #29
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks flasher. The pyro fuse from the new terminal is connected but still getting the HV errors. I also ordered a missing sensor (part #9196048) that is related to HV disconnect. I have ista + but having issues with connecting via ENet cable so hopefully I can get that sorted out and see what codes I’m getting for the HV and Hybrid system.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:47 PM   #30
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perj42 View Post
I love ur rebuild! I wanted to tell u my
Story and ask for urs or anyone’s advice on here.

I hydroplaned/ crashed my bmw i8 hitting rear left side on 5 freeway center median divider during storm last month. and police pushed the car off freeway while doing so car went into park :/

The big aluminum plate protecting underneath the car has a small bend in it now from the impact. This car already had an impact in the same
Exact spot prior to my buying it. So ive already rebuilt and welded the frame
On the rear left side before.. now i put the car back together and whenever the gas engine kicks in, the transmission starts reving high and i can hear metal on metal noises. Im hoping the cv axle isnt popped in all the way so im taking it apart and putting it back together again and hitting it harder to make sure its all the way in…

Now incase it isnt is there a way to replace the trans without removing the subframe? As penskee auto body (bmw of san diego/
And escondido body shop) told me since the plate underneath the car is a bit bent and more than likely the frame/ body is tweaked and if the frame comes off it won’t screw back into place…

I already purchased a replacement subframe 2 years or so ago before deciding the weld the frame. So i have one sitting here id love to use as well i found a great deal on used transmissions for the i8…

Can someone give me some info, if body is bent will the frame not screw back in?

Does the subframe have to come off in order to replace the transmission?

Thanks for your time!

I’m not an expert but carbon doesn’t really bend, it breaks. That’s why I had to swap the entire body of mine due to a pillar damage. And dropping the entire rear subframe and motor assembly is the way to go if your replacing the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:05 PM   #31
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Still having issues with ISTA+ and I think its an Oracle VM problem. I bought Bimmerlink and am running it with an Emulator and ENET cable on my laptop. Works great. Lots of errors, but then again, the HV system had a major fault due to the collision, there are still impact sensors missing, I replaced the Electric motor and trans, replaced the steering rack and other stuff is still disconnected. I have a new HV disconnect impact sensor for the front on order and swapped the electric transmission control unit from my last one, so will keep chipping away at this thing. Anyone know if Bimmercode can reset the HV battery system?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 01:17 AM   #32
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Was able to connect with the car through ista+ by switching to ediabas and using s bridged connection so the the ENET cable could be used. But now….more problems. Ista wont let me complete the vehicle test. It gets to the point where it’s almost done then gives me a bunch of error messages and the car starts resetting the ignition sequence. Very frustrating.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blackdog76; 03-28-2024 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:50 PM   #33
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Figured it out. My version of Ista+ doesn’t support programming without the additional software. I don’t think Ista can help me with what I need anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:21 AM   #34
avdept
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog76 View Post
Figured it out. My version of Ista+ doesn’t support programming without the additional software. I don’t think Ista can help me with what I need anyway.
You will need ISTA programming later, when you'll need to code Lim module to your car(on your screenshots its red, so I suppose either disconnected or broken)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 04:33 PM   #35
Flasher
Rep

you will need the full PSzD data file (very large !!) and place the content in the folder where the PSzD lite is stored ( overwrite or rename the old content).
Ista is a very strong software so i would definately keep it for later use !
Esys is very powerful too but typically German, not very user-friendly....

Last edited by Flasher; 03-29-2024 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:11 PM   #36
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
you will need the full PSzD data file (very large !!) and place the content in the folder where the PSzD lite is stored ( overwrite or rename the old content).
Ista is a very strong software so i would definately keep it for later use !
Esys is very powerful too but typically German, not very user-friendly....
What I got with my ENet cable was a link for PSzD date light. Can someone PM me a link for the full version download?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:17 PM   #37
Flasher
Rep

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...CdGMAbGqI/edit
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:20 PM   #38
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Also took a look at the wiring avdept was talking about. I had an extra lower terminal and cut it open. Took a good amount of work with a heat gun and razor blade. Looks like the two copper leads are completely molded in the plastic and reach out toward the power cable that goes to the EME but don’t touch eachother or touch the power cable directly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:03 PM   #39
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

I was reading through some of the codes the car is throwing and just to try to get a better idea of whats going on and it seems like a lot of them are from coding errors. To overview what I had to replace on the front end due to damage or completely missing parts, here's the list:

Electric motor and transmission (I swapped the control unit from my old 2 speed transmission)

Steering rack (lots of steering related codes)

Charging module (located by the front bumper)

Here are the more important codes I saw:

930BE3 ZK HV disconnection 1: Resistance too high

CDA67A Drive, safety function: External safety shutdown through the electric drive subsystem

1F054D Drive, safety function: drive reduced in power, edrive deactivated
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:06 PM   #40
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Really wishing that I used my old electric motor instead of the replacement one. There was nothing wrong with it but now its fully installed in the car. How hard is it going to be to code the replacement electric motor?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:49 AM   #41
Flasher
Rep

i never did that but there is a procedure to teach in the resolver in the electric motor - probably better diagnostic testers can do that too but i'm sure it's possible using ISTA.....
Did you see my link for the Full PSzD data ?
you can choose any version but it's possible to use a higher version than your software so preferrable pick one of the latest....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 01:37 PM   #42
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

I downloaded Ista D 4.39.20 and PSDZData 4.46.30
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:51 AM   #43
avdept
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog76 View Post
I was reading through some of the codes the car is throwing and just to try to get a better idea of whats going on and it seems like a lot of them are from coding errors. To overview what I had to replace on the front end due to damage or completely missing parts, here's the list:

Electric motor and transmission (I swapped the control unit from my old 2 speed transmission)

Steering rack (lots of steering related codes)

Charging module (located by the front bumper)

Here are the more important codes I saw:

930BE3 ZK HV disconnection 1: Resistance too high

CDA67A Drive, safety function: External safety shutdown through the electric drive subsystem

1F054D Drive, safety function: drive reduced in power, edrive deactivated
Was your DSC module hit? Steering(and not just) data goes through DSC module. I had mine had tiny dent, it didn't get direct hit, but module was broken. I had every single module to throw error, because DSC was either received or transmitter(total of about 190 error codes). I replaced fuses and relay boxes but that didn't really help. So as last resort I got new PCB board from BMW which sells separately from DSC assembly and that fixed all my issues. I still haven't coded DSC to car, because Im awaiting for headlights, and without it ISTA wont allow me to code anything to car. But so far I was able to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 10:38 PM   #44
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdept View Post
Was your DSC module hit? Steering(and not just) data goes through DSC module. I had mine had tiny dent, it didn't get direct hit, but module was broken. I had every single module to throw error, because DSC was either received or transmitter(total of about 190 error codes). I replaced fuses and relay boxes but that didn't really help. So as last resort I got new PCB board from BMW which sells separately from DSC assembly and that fixed all my issues. I still haven't coded DSC to car, because Im awaiting for headlights, and without it ISTA wont allow me to code anything to car. But so far I was able to drive it.
Yes, the ABS module case was dented. ABS and DSC are the same module correct? It’s way up high in this car so understandable. Do you have a part number for the board?
Appreciate 0