BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

03-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I3s bumper swap onto a 2014 Rex!

Well wanted to renovate the i3 a bit and De-milage it a little with some new paint and figured what the heck ! Let's do a newer i3S body swap!

So got the new hood painted and installed and now I got the bumper on and the wheel arches are next.

Loving the new look!

Parts are pretty cheap overall as well!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
JDAURIA713.50
ohibo45.00
      03-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #2
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Nice job.

You are absolutely correct, cheap upgrade that looks great.

When I was in the process of ordering my car, I was debating if I should get the i3 with or without the sports package, meant sacrificing the parking assist.
Then I found that the front did not change, and was exclusively for the i3s.
Checked the parts catalogue, and it was around 300 euros for the parts (only the lower gloss black part needed to be replaced).

Figured that it would take a couple of hours in the garage to do the job.

Got a quote for the car with sports package, and decided to check what the s model upgrade would be, it was 900 euros, so rather than saving 600 euros and spending time in the garage I got the i3s instead.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Nice job.

You are absolutely correct, cheap upgrade that looks great.

When I was in the process of ordering my car, I was debating if I should get the i3 with or without the sports package, meant sacrificing the parking assist.
Then I found that the front did not change, and was exclusively for the i3s.
Checked the parts catalogue, and it was around 300 euros for the parts (only the lower gloss black part needed to be replaced).

Figured that it would take a couple of hours in the garage to do the job.

Got a quote for the car with sports package, and decided to check what the s model upgrade would be, it was 900 euros, so rather than saving 600 euros and spending time in the garage I got the i3s instead.

Yea maybe one day I'll get the real deal.

This being a 7 year old car now I figured I could sell it and just buy a newer one or just have some wrenching fun and just update the looks and save in the long run as a real S is still in the upper 20'a and lower 30's

Going this route didn't even cost me 1k,

I did keep the parking assist option mine had but made new holes for the location and made sure to keep the original height and tested and everything works as it should. So overall very happy.

Plus the old 2014 models where slightly a bit actually faster than originally posted as the batteries where lighter and the newer ones with the heavier batteries took a slight hit on the 0-60 but not terrible as it was only a few lbs.

As the i3 is now the only way to make it faster at the moment is to loose weight and go on a diet !

If you where lucky enough to not get the update lol on your 2014 model year you had i3s like acceleration until they neutered it claiming exploding half shafts and motor mount breakage.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Working on adding the fender arches.

Not to bad but time consuming and have to be carful with the razor blade but the fender material seems to cut very easily !

Will definitely need spacers now ! And need to purchase the i3S rims anyhow. These will make good winter rims.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:03 AM   #5
star63
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Looking great!

Do you have the both, high and low beam in the same headlight unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by star63 View Post
Looking great!

Since I never use the brights in this car I'm planning to mount a pair of small motorcycle high beams just behind the front vent.

The rectangular shape of these shoot right through the grille opening so their perfect. And the beam is worlds better than the halogens. Lol. Now they look like fogs even more than the high beams did before. Lol. But when they are off they have a black appearance so their quite stealthy.

Then when I'm all done I'll play with the headlight wire harness.

I bought a pair of 2020 or 2019 headlights with the refreshed chrome surround and cornering lights.

It may be a hard swap but should be fun anyhow.

Anyway things are coming along. .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
star63
Rep

Thanks!

I've already installed the fender arches and now considering the bumper upgrade. The high beam issue has been holding me back, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #8
GTA_G20
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Looking great!

Since I never use the brights in this car I'm planning to mount a pair of small motorcycle high beams just behind the front vent.

The rectangular shape of these shoot right through the grille opening so their perfect. And the beam is worlds better than the halogens. Lol. Now they look like fogs even more than the high beams did before. Lol. But when they are off they have a black appearance so their quite stealthy.

I bought a pair of 2020 or 2019 headlights with the refreshed chrome surround and cornering lights.

Question. Is the hood mandatory? I thought the hoods were all the same. I'm looking to do the facelift but worried about the hood. Can you clarify?

Also the front bumper lights on the lci, how did you wire these? I don't care for the high beams as I live in the city
      06-27-2022, 10:48 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Looking great!

Question. Is the hood mandatory? I thought the hoods were all the same. I'm looking to do the facelift but worried about the hood. Can you clarify?

Also the front bumper lights on the lci, how did you wire these? I don't care for the high beams as I live in the city
Hello

The hood was just to get a fresh face. The old hood was rock beaten and it was cheaper to buy a new hood and paint it vs. sanding down the original hood and repainting.

The turn signals I just wired up some LED's to the factory wire set for the turn signals.

The high beams for the moment I have a bypass on them but will add a couple small laser high beams for motor cycles and hide them in the lower grill opening.

I'll see if I can find the LED's I used and how I modified the OEM turn signal housings.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:01 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok found em

Basically the OEM wire system is not compatible with our more basic bulb wire setup. The new 2018's take 5 or so connections where are bulbs take 2 wires.

So I just grabbed the brightest amber LED I could and adapted it to fit the housing and it worked like a charm.

I used a little pipe cutting wheel to cut off the first ring. Then drilled the hole into the aluminum heat sink and added my led light.

The led and the light pipe match up perfectly. And I added a epoxy to the perimeter of the light in the housing where the drill hole was added to waterproof it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #11
GTA_G20
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok found em

Basically the OEM wire system is not compatible with our more basic bulb wire setup. The new 2018's take 5 or so connections where are bulbs take 2 wires.

So I just grabbed the brightest amber LED I could and adapted it to fit the housing and it worked like a charm.

I used a little pipe cutting wheel to cut off the first ring. Then drilled the hole into the aluminum heat sink and added my led light.

The led and the light pipe match up perfectly. And I added a epoxy to the perimeter of the light in the housing where the drill hole was added to waterproof it.
Awesome. That's good to know about the hood. The facelift front lights sounds like it'll be my only challenge
      04-03-2023, 03:31 PM   #12
mcgregor7778
Registered
Rep

Hi Guys! Please send me a link from where I can buy upgrade front bumper. I have a 2017 year Rex model and want to upgrade with the newest front bumper. Thank you for your time. Regards from Ireland 🇮🇪
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #13
gynk
Registered
Rep

Wiring

Hi all, is it plug and wiring matching ? mean old style lights to new bumper and led lights?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:05 PM   #14
herr01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REX

Quote:
Ok found em

Do you have a link to the same LEDs you used? Trying to find them either yields something not bright enough, or too big!
Appreciate 0