Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Stock pre LCI high beams suck… possible to fit LCI headlights to pre LCI car?

Seems like there should be a reasonable supply of them out there, from crashed cars.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:51 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Seems like there should be a reasonable supply of them out there, from crashed cars.
Theirs a lot of rewiring you need to do.

It's not a simple job and theirs other stuff that needs to be done like coding and also updating software.

I've been working with others to develop a custom harness but again not an easy swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

It's not a simple job and theirs other stuff that needs to be done like coding and also updating software.

I've been working with others to develop a custom harness but again not an easy swap.
Hmm. When I converted to from single xenons to bixenons on my e39 M5 I just used tapped the halogen high beam power to also trigger the bixenon shutter. What makes that not work here, with the biLED shutter?

Does the updated headlight housing physically fit?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

Hmm. When I converted to from single xenons to bixenons on my e39 M5 I just used tapped the halogen high beam power to also trigger the bixenon shutter. What makes that not work here, with the biLED shutter?

Does the updated headlight housing physically fit?
It's more than that yes the housing fits just fine the wiring is different as they had moved wiring around as the headlights and turn signals are now paired in the newer models. It's not just the headlight. Also no shutter. Certain LED's turn off and on their is no shutter to operate.

Theirs way more pins as you can see.

the harness is also completely different your not just trying to take the same harness and move some things around or splice. I've been studying the wiring schematic and their more to it. They updated some things and going from halogen high beams to led was a jump . You go from 5 pins in the older light to 12 pins in the newer !

I've bought the new headlights (as they where super cheap) already and everything needed but it takes time to make things work right. Just side projects but anything is possible.

Hey I went from HID and updated my F15 with LED and it was one of the easiest swaps I've done. This not so much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0