10-16-2023, 08:30 PM   #89
cyber2142
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocompanion View Post
I'll do my best!

1. We don't know what exactly it is. It says "interior trim," so I'm guessing it's the bronze interior trim, but for all I know, it could be another part of the doors or dashboard or something.

2. Maybe, but they could also be getting hit with the stop sale further down the road, like what happened to the cars that were at the port.

3. For now they don't, but see above. We're hoping this is resolved quickly, but as I speak to my dealerships, I realize that a lot of them don't really know what is going on.

Sorry I don't have more information!
Thanks for the update, I'm your customer as well. At this point, getting the car by end of this month seems less likely. Any expectations on what dealerships/BMW might do if this stop sale causes 90 day deal lock to expire?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:35 PM   #90
autocompanion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Turbo S, S4, GT3, M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber2142 View Post
Thanks for the update, I'm your customer as well. At this point, getting the car by end of this month seems less likely. Any expectations on what dealerships/BMW might do if this stop sale causes 90 day deal lock to expire?
There should be a 120-day lock, rather than the 90 days, so you don't need to worry about that. BMW will likely be granting extensions, though. You might need to re-apply and then we'll get an exception, but since this affects so many people, I'm sure they'll be granted.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 11:47 PM   #91
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
An update for everyone, since a lot of you are also my customers, we received the following update from BMW today, as per one of our dealers:

"Due to a supply issue, the affected vehicles are being produced with certain interior trim pieces not installed at the factory. The missing trim pieces will be installed at the VDCs prior to delivery to the Dealer Network. Currently, we anticipate the first processed vehicles to ship from the VDCs beginning early November, as parts begin to arrive."

So basically, it sounds like parts are hopefully arriving soon, and the the cars will be on their way.

If it really is just plastic trim pieces missing, I'd have to imagine we're literally talking about the equivalent of someone smacking in some trim, giving it the ol' BMW trim whack to lock the fasteners in place (you know what I'm talking about if you've ever removed trim in a BMW), and sending it on it's way. Thankfully, it would seem to me, there is no programming, disassembly, etc, just knock in some trim pieces and keep it rolling, thats my own personal opinion at least.
pk209.00
deutsch1004030.00
      10-17-2023, 07:38 AM   #92
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
An update for everyone, since a lot of you are also my customers, we received the following update from BMW today, as per one of our dealers:

"Due to a supply issue, the affected vehicles are being produced with certain interior trim pieces not installed at the factory. The missing trim pieces will be installed at the VDCs prior to delivery to the Dealer Network. Currently, we anticipate the first processed vehicles to ship from the VDCs beginning early November, as parts begin to arrive."

So basically, it sounds like parts are hopefully arriving soon, and the the cars will be on their way.

If it really is just plastic trim pieces missing, I'd have to imagine we're literally talking about the equivalent of someone smacking in some trim, giving it the ol' BMW trim whack to lock the fasteners in place (you know what I'm talking about if you've ever removed trim in a BMW), and sending it on it's way. Thankfully, it would seem to me, there is no programming, disassembly, etc, just knock in some trim pieces and keep it rolling, thats my own personal opinion at least.
Thank you for the update Scott. Of the vehicles that are sitting at the VDC, do we know when the first batch got there? How long has this problem been going on? Trying to gauge how long after early November it will be before we start getting our cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #93
moby1
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
Thank you for the update Scott. Of the vehicles that are sitting at the VDC, do we know when the first batch got there? How long has this problem been going on? Trying to gauge how long after early November it will be before we start getting our cars?
Spoke to BMW Genius today. My vehicle arrived in Newark NJ on 9/27 and a work order was created same day. Vehicle is flagged for work order and stop sale. No estimated timeline for a resolution to this issue according to the rep I spoke to.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:24 PM   #94
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Pinpointing how long this has been an issue is tricky. I truly cannot make any sense of how or why certain cars are effected.

I have found one of my customers as early as Week 38 on an iX M60 that is effected by this, but a week 42 M60 that does not appear to be...

As hard as it is to accept, nothing we speculate about here is going to change the reality of when our cars arrive. It just is what it is, I've come to accept this as I now track literally hundreds of customer orders.
      10-17-2023, 03:25 PM   #95
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

This is the identical circumstance that other OEM’s are right now facing. Corvette is facing this at its only assembly plan with missing dive planes (and probably more). Not defending or justifying but trying to help you answer your question as to why some are effected, why some week 41’s started to get this part and all week 42’s and forward will get the part in the usual place while they go down the assembly line. Thankfully it appears that extra parts are finally coming on line to both, a) meet all assembly line needs and b) ship the part to ports to install on 35+ week iX’s which never got it — and now, unfortunately are still on QC hold.

Here’s the kicker. Your parts supply company while slowly making more and more daily, is going to need until 30 more days to have enough to make up for all which are missing the part and all going down the line daily. What do you do in your job as Parts Director to assign those yet insufficient-number parts?

Specifically, imagine you are the person who is responsible for determining where to place the 400 trim part pieces (standard on every iX). You just got 600 sets in but your need 800 right now, for you already have 400 ix’s that earlier came off the line without that part, their now being stacked up not only in Germany at the port but at incoming BMW ports all over the world, AND at the same time you have every single day another 400 iX’s going the line that need that trim set as a standard, non-optional piece. Which cars would you decide to give them to? Would you take all 400 you got at your intake dock today and give only them to those scattered about that were previously finished without them? If you did that you knowingly created another 400 iX’s going done the line today that will not have them (all 400 then needing to have them added in later). And of course to add them later after they are done, as opposed to adding them on the car while they go down the moving assembly line, will cost BMW more in extra time later (quicker, less costly to install then as they are going down the line where there were designed to be installed).

Or do you do half and half, send 200 to ports all over the world which have cars waiting for them, and use the remaining 400 sets for today’s iX’s starting going down the assembly line. Again, here’s the kicker, that it is going to take your parts supplier another month to make up all the missing ones to fully accomplish and catch up on both needs.

In short in this just in time manufacturing world when one supplier goes down it creates massive problems!

So what happened is that they kept the line going but starting with week 35 some or more cars did not get all their standard parts, and starting last week they got enough incoming parts that they could again put them on every iX as it proceeded down the line AND nicely for the first time in a while, also start shipping the extra part to ports to have them retro-installed on all cars missing them.

World sure isn’t fair, but what would you do differently as the parts director to deal with the above?
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13691.00
deutsch1004030.00
      10-17-2023, 03:32 PM   #96
pk20
Rep
Drives: -

Honestly, the one thing I would do differently is inform people who have custom ordered their iX that its missing a part and that the car will sit at your local port before you / your dealer can get your hands on it. Helps people plan better. Or simply cancel orders so they can buy more in line with their timelines...

What BMW did is a "somewhat" sneaky move IMHO.

On a separate note, this thread has been very informative. Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment here
Appreciate 1
akin67450.50
      10-17-2023, 03:34 PM   #97
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Specifically, imagine you are the person who is responsible for determining where to place the 400 back seat trim parts which are , standard on every iX. You just got 600 sets in but your need 800 right now, for you already have 400 ix’s that earlier came off the line without that part, their now being stacked up not only in Germany at the port but at incoming BMW ports all over the world, AND at the same time you have every single day another 400 iX’s going the line that need that trim set as a standard, non-optional piece. Which cars would you decide to give them to? Would you take all 400 you got at your intake dock today and give only them to those scattered about that were previously finished without them? If you did that you knowingly created another 400 iX’s going done the line today that will not have them (all 400 then needing to have them added in later).
Well, the Dingolfing plant assembles several models on the same line. So if there's an iX part shortage, you can just keep the line running assembling more of other models without a part shortage.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:25 PM   #98
Road Trip
Captain
Rep

That assumes that there would have been enough other Dingolfing model parts that the suppliers of the other models could right away have increased them collectively by the same amount at the iX’s which would have been totally stopped. In other words without advance notice (for no one knew of the supplier factory burning in advance) IF BMW had immediately enough additional supplier parts for the 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series and 8 Series cars to make up for every iX’s that was held off the line, the thought then would be that at the start of week 35, BMW should have announced “Hey all iX customers, sorry but due to a supplier plant burning down, we are halting all iX production for an unknown time but at least a month in length; we will get back to you as soon as we know when iX’s production is resuming.”

True, us prospective customer’s would have known that much, but would we have been any happier? Just asking ….

Another problem with that approach would have been, what would Dingolfing or the iX’s part suppliers suddenly done with the thousands of sets of parts for complete iX’s that had nowhere to go for that about six week “hibernation” period? Where for example would six weeks of iX’s seats have been stored for supplier production is also not fungeable.

No good answer but if BMW would have asked me, I would have voted for more transparency via more communications. But as one who has spend literally six decades in the auto/vehicle industry, let me say of every vehicle I have owned, of every one of the roughly 25 new ones I have ordered, the information I have already received from BMW about my iX is about 100 times more than all the rest combined, e.g., got zero from Toyota, Mazda, VW, Subaru, Ford, Harley Davidson, Triumph Motorcycles, and British Leyland during the whole ordering/building my vehicle processes, and just a little more directly from GM…
Appreciate 5
akin67450.50
Paladin15610.00
KRS_SN13691.00
deutsch1004030.00
      10-17-2023, 04:45 PM   #99
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
This is the identical circumstance that other OEM’s are right now facing. Corvette is facing this at its only assembly plan with missing dive planes (and probably more). Not defending or justifying but trying to help you answer your question as to why some are effected, why some week 41’s started to get this part and all week 42’s and forward will get the part in the usual place while they go down the assembly line. Thankfully it appears that extra parts are finally coming on line to both, a) meet all assembly line needs and b) ship the part to ports to install on 35+ week iX’s which never got it — and now, unfortunately are still on QC hold.

Here’s the kicker. Your parts supply company while slowly making more and more daily, is going to need until 30 more days to have enough to make up for all which are missing the part and all going down the line daily. What do you do in your job as Parts Director to assign those yet insufficient-number parts?

Specifically, imagine you are the person who is responsible for determining where to place the 400 trim part pieces (standard on every iX). You just got 600 sets in but your need 800 right now, for you already have 400 ix’s that earlier came off the line without that part, their now being stacked up not only in Germany at the port but at incoming BMW ports all over the world, AND at the same time you have every single day another 400 iX’s going the line that need that trim set as a standard, non-optional piece. Which cars would you decide to give them to? Would you take all 400 you got at your intake dock today and give only them to those scattered about that were previously finished without them? If you did that you knowingly created another 400 iX’s going done the line today that will not have them (all 400 then needing to have them added in later). And of course to add them later after they are done, as opposed to adding them on the car while they go down the moving assembly line, will cost BMW more in extra time later (quicker, less costly to install then as they are going down the line where there were designed to be installed).

Or do you do half and half, send 200 to ports all over the world which have cars waiting for them, and use the remaining 400 sets for today’s iX’s starting going down the assembly line. Again, here’s the kicker, that it is going to take your parts supplier another month to make up all the missing ones to fully accomplish and catch up on both needs.

In short in this just in time manufacturing world when one supplier goes down it creates massive problems!

So what happened is that they kept the line going but starting with week 35 some or more cars did not get all their standard parts, and starting last week they got enough incoming parts that they could again put them on every iX as it proceeded down the line AND nicely for the first time in a while, also start shipping the extra part to ports to have them retro-installed on all cars missing them.

World sure isn’t fair, but what would you do differently as the parts director to deal with the above?
My understanding is that the lesser of two evils is that you do everything in your power to keep production rolling. You prioritize that over fixing the already produced vehicles. Any extra parts more than what you need for PROD is used to fix the already produced vehicles but iou need to insure that you are getting extras to catch up on the backlog within a reasonable amount of time. I believe this is also what BMW did for the airbag issue when they had tons of cars in the overflow lot (and seemed to be worked on on a first in last out basis). This resulted in people like me getting their vehicle delivered before people who ordered and had their car produced many weeks before me.... You get some pissed off customers but in the end is still the better choice overall (except the FILO part. It should have been FIFO)
Appreciate 1
Road Trip1376.50
      10-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #100
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
My understanding is that the lesser of two evils is that you do everything in your power to keep production rolling. You prioritize that over fixing the already produced vehicles. Any extra parts more than what you need for PROD is used to fix the already produced vehicles but iou need to insure that you are getting extras to catch up on the backlog within a reasonable amount of time. I believe this is also what BMW did for the airbag issue when they had tons of cars in the overflow lot (and seemed to be worked on on a first in last out basis). This resulted in people like me getting their vehicle delivered before people who ordered and had their car produced many weeks before me.... You get some pissed off customers but in the end is still the better choice overall (except the FILO part. It should have been FIFO)
It may be good for BMW in the short term but will definitely not be good for maintaining loyal customer relations. So I have a car already produced waiting at the VPC. I expect BMW to communicate to us as to their plan and immediately begin allocating some of what is coming in to clear the backlog. Short of that, and I will be cancelling my order and getting something else. Waiting has a real cost to it. For example in NJ currently there is no sales tax on EVs. But that can change anytime without warning, and if that happens that is a 6.7% hit. For example, in anticipation of my EV delivery I had an EV Charger installed. The utility was offering a rebate up to $1500 to offset installation costs. They announced this program in 2022 and said it would be good for the next 4 years. They decided on a whim to cancel the program September 30th. Although my install was completed before then, because I had not yet applied (believing I had a ton of time), now I am out $1500. After having already waited on the vehicle for the last 10 weeks, I am certainly not willing to add another 6 - 10 weeks to that timeline. And by the way, it can be longer. We just don't have a clue.
Appreciate 3
pk209.00
dazzapb1050.00
      10-17-2023, 05:26 PM   #101
Road Trip
Captain
Rep

You point out something very relevant and in not only your case but others can be individually punitive. Stuff unfortunately is not fair a lot of time for while we make plans based on currently known info, others can change the rules in the middle.

I hope it all starts to work out for you akin67. We sure understand that you may exit stage left at any time, and if you choose to do so you find an alternative that works well for you.
Appreciate 2
akin67450.50
dazzapb1050.00
      10-17-2023, 07:54 PM   #102
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
It may be good for BMW in the short term but will definitely not be good for maintaining loyal customer relations. So I have a car already produced waiting at the VPC. I expect BMW to communicate to us as to their plan and immediately begin allocating some of what is coming in to clear the backlog. Short of that, and I will be cancelling my order and getting something else. Waiting has a real cost to it. For example in NJ currently there is no sales tax on EVs. But that can change anytime without warning, and if that happens that is a 6.7% hit. For example, in anticipation of my EV delivery I had an EV Charger installed. The utility was offering a rebate up to $1500 to offset installation costs. They announced this program in 2022 and said it would be good for the next 4 years. They decided on a whim to cancel the program September 30th. Although my install was completed before then, because I had not yet applied (believing I had a ton of time), now I am out $1500. After having already waited on the vehicle for the last 10 weeks, I am certainly not willing to add another 6 - 10 weeks to that timeline. And by the way, it can be longer. We just don't have a clue.
If you think it through, you'll see that even if it means losing the sale in cases like yours, it is still the best choice to make between the two bad choices. But in a manufacturing context, you always try not to stop or slow production.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:02 PM   #103
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
After having already waited on the vehicle for the last 10 weeks, I am certainly not willing to add another 6 - 10 weeks to that timeline. And by the way, it can be longer. We just don't have a clue.
This is why I usually like to tell people (as you know first hand) that orders are around 3 months from order to delivery, usually it is a little bit quicker unless the allocation is far out, but generally speaking, that adds a little room for realistic things that can happen that cause delays. Thankfully, I think that your car ultimately won't wind up being too much longer than originally anticipated, as much as it sucks to have it sitting stateside without being able to take delivery.

I am hopeful that as parts start to roll in we'll see these cars moving out soon.
      10-23-2023, 06:20 PM   #104
x5legend24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Any progress/updates for anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 07:45 PM   #105
cyber2142
Private First Class
Rep

Unfortunately no…
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:23 PM   #106
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No change for me either. However, someone on the other iX board reached out to executives at BMW and I believe the most recent response he got was, with the anticipated inventory of the missing part, they expected to resolve all outstanding issues by the end of the month. I hope they are right. Fingers crossed and checking my status daily.
Appreciate 2
pk209.00
      10-23-2023, 09:44 PM   #107
cyber2142
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No change for me either. However, someone on the other iX board reached out to executives at BMW and I believe the most recent response he got was, with the anticipated inventory of the missing part, they expected to resolve all outstanding issues by the end of the month. I hope they are right. Fingers crossed and checking my status daily.
end of this month? great!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 06:58 AM   #108
cyber2142
Private First Class
Rep

Unverified reddit post hints that it might be the camera that is used for driver assistant pro. It’s just a guess based on one’s experience so take it with grain of salt but this being delayed makes more sense.

I have this option added. I wonder if anyone who didn’t get this option is not subject to stop sale.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #109
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber2142 View Post
Unverified reddit post hints that it might be the camera that is used for driver assistant pro. It’s just a guess based on one’s experience so take it with grain of salt but this being delayed makes more sense.

I have this option added. I wonder if anyone who didn’t get this option is not subject to stop sale.
I had asked in another post as to whether anyone has received a factory ordered vehicle in September or October and as far as I know, no one came forward.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 08:46 AM   #110
pk20
Rep
Drives: -

No change for me either
Appreciate 0