BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Wireless Phone Charging in the i8

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a BMW wireless charging cradle to the i8? It looks like there's some sort of standard mobile phone holder in the armrest, but I'm not sure if the adapters are compatible.

For example: https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk-respon...-tray/2449887/

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I've done it using a vent mounted wireless cradle. But found that under extreme driving the phone can release itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
dmislovi
Rep
Drives: 520d

No, that's not possible, I've tried.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

I wonder if this would fit in that armrest have not measured yet. There is a nice cable feed channel from the front compartment it can plug into.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Char.../dp/B01GQRP59G

Or this

https://www.amazon.com/FASTPAD-Ultra...2XAGGGFRBYPABY

Or this

https://www.amazon.com/Viotek-FASTPA...vw_txt?ie=UTF8
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 04:07 AM   #5
MajorJump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmislovi View Post
No, that's not possible, I've tried.
That's annoying! I'd assumed all snap-in adapters were universal!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
imaeyeguy
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I used this and it works great. I mounted it to the right of the shift stick on the side where it has a slight curve and used a usb lighter adapter to connect the power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1F4JD1/

Will post a pic when I get home.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
MajorJump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post
I used this and it works great. I mounted it to the right of the shift stick on the side where it has a slight curve and used a usb lighter adapter to connect the power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1F4JD1/

Will post a pic when I get home.
That's interesting. It'd be great to see it installed. Might look quite nice if you can tuck the cables away etc.

Does the magnet hold the phone ok?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
imaeyeguy
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
That's interesting. It'd be great to see it installed. Might look quite nice if you can tuck the cables away etc.

Does the magnet hold the phone ok?
Yes it is magnetized on outer edge of mount. There is a metal ring that comes with the unit that you can mount onto the phone. I have found, however, that the internal metal content of my Galaxy S7 will adhere to the mount without having to use the metal ring. Using the metal ring will provide a stronger support. I have tried iPhone the same way, but it won't stay on, will need the metal ring to be mounted on the phone to work properly. The ring will hide just fine under most cases.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Its not wireless but here is my solution. Its a 3D printed holder on a RAM ball mount. The phone just slips straight down onto the integrated USB connector. It holds the phone securely, in full view yet relatively out of the way while in motion and is very easy to install/remove the phone. Just drop the phone in or slide it up and out (gravity does the job). (The angle of the photo makes it look closer to the shifter than it actually is - I can work the shifter with a "full hand" and not come close to any interference).

An adhesive backed RAM ball mount makes pretty good use of that otherwise pretty useless cavity just fwd of the shifter.

The USB cable is tucked behind the console and into a flush mount USB charger permanently inserted into the aux power port under the glove box. Since the aux power port under the glove box is normally always hot, I rewired it to an AUX power circuit in the fuse box (its right there as well).

This way the whole mounting system (inc the 12v USB charger) can stay in place all the time and I don't have to worry about draining the 12v battery. It also offers high power USB charging (2.4A). If I do want to remove it, its only a single thumbscrew on the ram mounting arm. Only the ball stays behind in the cavity...
Attached Images

Last edited by evanevery; 11-15-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So both of the ones above fit, but the bigger one sits almost perfectly where the tray insert sits when you remove it and the phone can sit directly on top of it. It seems to work very well.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
imaeyeguy
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Here are a few pics of the mount. I purchased a lighter plug adapter that added 2 extra lighter plugs as well as 2 high powered USB ports. I run out of this plug a dash cam, radar detector, and the wireless charger.

The mount attaches using a 3M sticker. Pretty sturdy, it won't get knocked off.
Attached Images

Last edited by imaeyeguy; 11-14-2018 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Whats the thing in your acc port (looks like a hub)?

Is the port rewired for ACC power (instead of always on)?

Would a small, dual port, flush mount 5V charger not have worked? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Fuse Box is right there so if you have a bunch of stuff your trying to permanently power from the ACC port (i.e. radar detector), you can use one of these instead and completely hide the wires: https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Add-c...micro+fuse+tap

Last edited by evanevery; 11-15-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #13
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

BTW - Wireless charging is convenient, but when in the car you might want/need more power.

The highest powered wireless chargers typically top out at 0.8A (although the spec permits 1.6A) while a good USB charger will deliver 2.4A.

USB can charge three times faster as it provides three times the power. This is particularly important if you are running high demand applications while charging. Anyone who has tried to run Waze while wirelessly charging has likely experienced the "losing battle". (My GMC has a built in wireless charger in the armrest)...

Last edited by evanevery; 11-15-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
So both of the ones above fit, but the bigger one sits almost perfectly where the tray insert sits when you remove it and the phone can sit directly on top of it. It seems to work very well.

I did this in my centre armrest but the phone keeps sliding off as you travel around corners. Did you resolve this? I wondered about a thin sheet of silicone that won’t affect the charge bust causes enough friction to keep the phone in place?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have the same concern and I like your idea. I was thinking of something that would be a little sticky and thin, so a thin film of silicone may be perfect. I haven’t had a chance to try yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #16
imaeyeguy
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Whats the thing in your acc port (looks like a hub)?

Is the port rewired for ACC power (instead of always on)?

Would a small, dual port, flush mount 5V charger not have worked? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Fuse Box is right there so if you have a bunch of stuff your trying to permanently power from the ACC port (i.e. radar detector), you can use one of these instead and completely hide the wires: https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Add-c...micro+fuse+tap
That port is actually not always on. It automatically shuts off after about an hour. It's actually beneficial since my dash cam will run after I park and continue recording. Good and bad since you see a lot of these yahoos mingling around your car taking selfies. I was almost going to buy a Blackvue B112 Magic battery pack, but that feature really made it less necessary.

It is a 90 degree elbow hub with 2 lighter outlets and 2 USB ports. My radar runs off a lighter outlet. You are right that accessing the fuse box is a cleaner look, but this option was path of least resistance. When you are sitting in the passenger seat, you really can't see all the wiring, Most don't even notice it's there except for the red led light. The pic was taken from below the unit, that's why the wiring is visible.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #17
imaeyeguy
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
BTW - Wireless charging is convenient, but when in the car you might want/need more power.

The highest powered wireless chargers typically top out at 0.8A (although the spec permits 1.6A) while a good USB charger will deliver 2.4A.

USB can charge three times faster as it provides three times the power. This is particularly important if you are running high demand applications while charging. Anyone who has tried to run Waze while wirelessly charging has likely experienced the "losing battle". (My GMC has a built in wireless charger in the armrest)...
The wireless is still faster than if you connect to the USB port in the car. Not sure why that port is exceptionally slow. That lighter port in the armrest is virtually useless since you can't put a usb charger in there and plug a wire into it and close the arm rest. So, the only option is the lighter port under the glove compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #18
imaeyeguy
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
I did this in my centre armrest but the phone keeps sliding off as you travel around corners. Did you resolve this? I wondered about a thin sheet of silicone that won’t affect the charge bust causes enough friction to keep the phone in place?
I actually bought the "tray" wireless charger, but decided against it because I couldn't figure out how to get micro USB into the center armrest and still keep it clean looking without wires running into it from the side.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #19
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post
I actually bought the "tray" wireless charger, but decided against it because I couldn't figure out how to get micro USB into the center armrest and still keep it clean looking without wires running into it from the side.
In the 2019 Version they created a small channel under the two covers for a cable to run from one compartment to the next that allows running a cable between the two internally. Also the hinge for the front compartment has room to slide the cable under it for retention and for it to be out of the way.

It’s a nice small touch, I used to dangle the cable out under the cover in my coupe.
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      11-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My coupe is 2016 and has the channel for the wire.
Appreciate 1
Epirali198.00
      11-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #21
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
I have the same concern and I like your idea. I was thinking of something that would be a little sticky and thin, so a thin film of silicone may be perfect. I haven’t had a chance to try yet.
OK... so I wrapped the charging pad in non slip silicone and it works a treat! Wires hidden through the small channel between the front and the rear armrest covers. Phone no longer slides off and an added bonus is that I can charge my display key on the same pad (although clearly not at the same time)!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
OK... so I wrapped the charging pad in non slip silicone and it works a treat! Wires hidden through the small channel between the front and the rear armrest covers. Phone no longer slides off and an added bonus is that I can charge my display key on the same pad (although clearly not at the same time)!
Thanks where did you get the silicone?
Appreciate 0