Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

11-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
JorgenTrued
Rep
Drives: i3s

Question i3 future and future value

I spoke to the largest BMW Dealer in Stockholm today. He confirmed that production of the i3 ends in june/july next year. Right now BMW takes lease orders for "standardized" i3's with Pro nav and bluetooth connectivity. You just get to pick Your metallic paint. 12 months 10000 km lease of 250 dollars / months.
BMW Financial Ltd. will not reveal any buy out numbers for the day when the lease ends.

So what will the future be for the i3?
Will it still hold its value as a unique and avantgarde automobile? I am inclined to think so specially the fully loaded ones with leather, sunroof and the better light tech etc. There will never be a car like this again form a company like BMW ore anyone else for that matter.
The Audi A2 with its aluminum space frame design and super efficient engine still holds it value. But the is a fossile burner. What speaks for i3 is that it is electric and has super good batteries. Might not be the longest range but those batteries last for ever.

I have tracked every single drive for the last 6 years with various cars like M4, Macan, S5. The typical length of a driv is not near the i3s maximum range of 300 km. I can charge both in my garage and at the vacation home. I can do it. So I think that there is always going to be a need for a car with the "right" range and with a minimal footprint on the environment. What should You drive around with a battery 3x what you need for 98% of your drives? Does not make sense.

So why are BMW ending the i3 that is selling better by every year. Still a great solid design and super materials. A company does not have to kill off a great product, or is it as simple that they can turn better profit out of "regular" EV's in the Leipzig factory. The BMW board has had it? I do not know.

Please give Your thoughts on the matter in this tread.

PS. I have had an eye towards this car ever since I saw it in pieces at BMW Welt in Munich when I drove there in my brand new M4 in 2015. Ever since. Then a week ago I found a slightly pre-owned Jacaro beige i3s with all the bells and whistles. Tomorrow I pull the trigger. Yes call me crazy doing so on a dying model but it still feels like a very sane and good decision. The car does not feel old. It feel right in pace with time with RIGHT SIZING. Unfortunately Must have in a way killed the EV industry with over-sized batteries. DS.
      11-11-2021, 01:19 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Most people want large SUVs with huge batteries and big, distracting touch screens and self driving ambitions. That is the way the industry is going.

I like to drive. The ideal for me is a simple lightweight construction like a gokart, with manual buttons and dials. That is why I bought a 2021 i3S, because I think that kind of cars will not be available new in the future.

I purposely ordered our car without the big screen, without leather seats, without sunroof, without wireless mobile phone charging, and without comfort access. These things add no value for me, just cost. Maybe it makes the car slightly less attractive second hand, but since it costs less new, I can sell it slightly cheaper when the time comes.

I am quite sure the i3 will be a future classic. Most people will never buy an old classic, and the value is decided by supply/demand. At least in Norway, there are a lot of these cars on the roads, and since they are made of plastic, they don't rust. Supply will be high, and demand will be a small group of enthusiasts. I predict low price, unless you are planning to wait a really long time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Most people want large SUVs with huge batteries and big, distracting touch screens and self driving ambitions. That is the way the industry is going.

I like to drive. The ideal for me is a simple lightweight construction like a gokart, with manual buttons and dials. That is why I bought a 2021 i3S, because I think that kind of cars will not be available new in the future.

I purposely ordered our car without the big screen, without leather seats, without sunroof, without wireless mobile phone charging, and without comfort access. These things add no value for me, just cost. Maybe it makes the car slightly less attractive second hand, but since it costs less new, I can sell it slightly cheaper when the time comes.

I am quite sure the i3 will be a future classic. Most people will never buy an old classic, and the value is decided by supply/demand. At least in Norway, there are a lot of these cars on the roads, and since they are made of plastic, they don't rust. Supply will be high, and demand will be a small group of enthusiasts. I predict low price, unless you are planning to wait a really long time.
Yep only crashes and owners who don't play nice with their car will slowly degrade their numbers. Their like chicken teeth here in the states.

Tesla's are like Honda's here their everywhere !!!

But lately mines over doubled in value ! lol!

Bought it for 8k last year and now their selling for 15k with the same milage and options!

Crazy times!

But yes in most write ups they peg the i3 in future classic territory.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614907.50
      12-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

I love the i3S and is actually considering getting a new one in the first half of next year despite it being phased out soon. I have had my eye on the i3 for years and always liked it, but it was only until a little over a year ago we got one, which we haven’t regretted for a second.

I think it is one of very few cars that have aged so well, it still looks very modern despite being more than 8 years old. We use it mainly for getting around in the city and going on the occassional 100 km trip. I have never ran out of range and can use it for days without charging. It is the perect (almost) city/urban vehicle. It is small, agile, turns on a dime, fit in all (most) parking spaces and generally a fun drive.

Sure you can tell that the car is getting slightly dated on some of the tech, like still iDrive 6, autamtic tail gate and there are some safety features like blind spot detection that would be nice to have etc. Sometimes it would also be good if it was a 5-seater. But all in all the i3 has aged very gracefully and it was so ahead of its time, much like the A2 was ahead of it’s time as mentioned above. I predict a future classic!

Regardless, congrats on the purchase, you will love it, and I intend to enjoy and appreciate the i3 now and hopefully for many years to come.

Last edited by Norbimmer; 12-01-2021 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbimmer View Post
I love the i3S and is actually considering getting a new one in the first half of next year despite it being phased out soon. I have had my eye on the i3 for years and always liked it, but it was only until a little over a year ago we got one, which we haven't regretted for a second.

I think it is one of very few cars that have aged so well, it still looks very modern despite being more than 8 years old. We use it mainly for getting around in the city and going on the occassional 100 km trip. I have never ran out of range and can use it for days without charging. It is the perect (almost) city/urban vehicle. It is small, agile, turns on a dime, fit in all (most) parking spaces and generally a fun drive.

Sure you can tell that the car is getting slightly dated on some of the tech, like still iDrive 6, autamtic tail gate and there are some safety features like blind spot detection that would be nice to have etc. Sometimes it would also be good if it was a 5-seater. But all in all the i3 has aged very gracefully and it was so ahead of its time, much like the A2 was ahead of it's time as mentioned above. I predict a future classic!

Regardless, congrats on the purchase, you will love it, and I intend to enjoy and appreciate the i3 now and hopefully for many years to come.
You and many other car mags have also pegged it as a future classic.

Yea some tech is missing and was never available but like any car, many of the tech that's missing on the i3 is an available option on most cars and not standard. So I find the technology on it still feels up to date with what it has. Just like driving a less optioned out new car lol.

The interior I still find to be a leap and bound over many new entries. And as you said the exterior still holds its own. Ans when I see them in the wild they still turn a head.

It was styling wise ahead of its time witch I think turned many off styling wise. Also price .

Almost 60k for a hatchback is asking a lot.
Appreciate 0