BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
DLatos92
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3S

2021 BMW i3S REx 3800 miles - Drivetrain malfunction

Hey everyone…figured to share to other i3 owners. I have a 2021 BMW i3S REx with 3800 miles.

The past 3 days I got a drivetrain malfunction. At first it was a a yellow caution sign that said drive-able but to bring it to the closest dealer. Then at night I went to plug it in and the port flashed red and my BMW app told me the car wouldn't charge and it said "critical". Then things started getting worse.

Yesterday morning the car would not start. The yellow caution sign became red. It said warning contact dealer. Lights were working. So was radio and exterior lights but nothing as far as power.

Yesterday and today they did a diagnostic. The tech called saying it would be $850 to do the diagnostic but if we find the damage is under warranty then I don't have to pay.

Anyhow, I finally get a call from service telling me they had good and bad news. The good news was it was covered under warranty. The bad news is they have a faulty main module and the car is not drivable. that it will be stuck at the dealer.

To make matters worse they checked to get a replacement module from Germany and BMW has no timeframe due to shortage of parts and that "they don't know how long I will be without a car. They don't have a way of knowing if they will get the module…." What is going on with my car? It's brand new I don't understand. Is this a common issue on i3???
Appreciate 1
soheil64.50
      10-25-2021, 03:52 AM   #2
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

Very unfortunate! We just got a 2021 i3S Rex over the weekend so naturally I'm getting a bit worried! Glad that it's covered under warranty but of course sucks that you don't know when the parts will arrive to fix it! Just out of curiosity, what happens in this case if you are financing/leasing the vehicle? Would BMWFS suspend the payments and extend the contract since you are not able to use your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLatos92 View Post
Hey everyone…figured to share to other i3 owners. I have a 2021 BMW i3S REx with 3800 miles.

The past 3 days I got a drivetrain malfunction. At first it was a a yellow caution sign that said drive-able but to bring it to the closest dealer. Then at night I went to plug it in and the port flashed red and my BMW app told me the car wouldn't charge and it said "critical". Then things started getting worse.

Yesterday morning the car would not start. The yellow caution sign became red. It said warning contact dealer. Lights were working. So was radio and exterior lights but nothing as far as power.

Yesterday and today they did a diagnostic. The tech called saying it would be $850 to do the diagnostic but if we find the damage is under warranty then I don't have to pay.

Anyhow, I finally get a call from service telling me they had good and bad news. The good news was it was covered under warranty. The bad news is they have a faulty main module and the car is not drivable. that it will be stuck at the dealer.

To make matters worse they checked to get a replacement module from Germany and BMW has no timeframe due to shortage of parts and that "they don't know how long I will be without a car. They don't have a way of knowing if they will get the module…." What is going on with my car? It's brand new I don't understand. Is this a common issue on i3???
Contact BMWNA for a solution of not having a car while under warranty repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLatos92 View Post

Contact BMWNA for a solution of not having a car while under warranty repair.
Common ! No.

Especially in the later years.

My 2014 is almost 90k miles and has been flawless.

Now that I said that! Lol.

It's a bmw dealer ? Normally you get a loaner for your worry free motoring.

When my x5 needed a new motor I had a brand new x5 loaner for about 2 months while they tried to get a motor and replace it.

It was great.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Check to see if NY will allow you to lemon the car and sell it back to BMW if you don't want to keep it or if they don't compensate you for the i3 being out of service (to your satisfaction). If you do lemon the car, make sure you have a backup solution given the chip shortage and inventory issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Check to see if NY will allow you to lemon the car and sell it back to BMW if you don't want to keep it or if they don't compensate you for the i3 being out of service (to your satisfaction).
NY State's lemon law was a total of 90 days out of service the last time that I looked. I bent VW over for a brand new crate engine after hitting day 87 with no fix many moons ago. My friend (owned a private shop) told me that I shouldn't have notified them until after day 90, since they would have had no option but to buy it back as a lemon.....
      10-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
NY State's lemon law was a total of 90 days out of service the last time that I looked. I bent VW over for a brand new crate engine after hitting day 87 with no fix many moons ago. My friend (owned a private shop) told me that I shouldn't have notified them until after day 90, since they would have had no option but to buy it back as a lemon.....
Given shortages, OP is likely going to be out of commission for 90 days - opens up some options.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615140.50
soheil64.50