Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

12-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #67
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

If i buy an I3 or any other electric vehicle i must be 98 years old and still have my driving licence
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #68
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
Wow impressive

I've gone from 14 to none.
(X5 V8 and 3-series I6 to BMW i3 and Tesla S)

But your REX has 3 cylinders right?
2 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK. View Post
The only downside is you only get around 85 miles from a full charge. I'm sure you'll be itching for another sports car soon!
Wrong. The 2017 94ah i3 can go up to 120 on a full charge, with range extender there really isn't a limit to how far you can go. I took my 60ah i3 REx on a 1500 mile trip, no sweat, I frequently see 200-210 total range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-O-Matic View Post
No, not huge. Actually fantastic. one must always compare apples to apples. Numbers are numbers...........Any make any model.

Specifics: 2017 Rex/ $56,395 MSRP. Any Dealership, any make(Electric of course because of the big $7,500 Tax credit). Tell any Dealer to run up the numbers on a 30 Mo. Lease w/ 10K miles per yr. for an (Electric eligible)car with an MSRP of $56,395. You would be hard pressed for any Dealer to give you a monthly payment of less than $350, unless you put an substantial amount of money down. Which I did not.

More specifics: 7 MSD's down, $542.00 Drive off (after $after $2,500 Ca rebate)

Recap: I have a 2017 $56,395 car, on a 30 month/10K per yr Lease. With $542.99 drive off, and a $349.99 per month Payment.

Most Dealer Principle's that I know, would think twice before giving their own brother that deal.
Yes, most likely his "friend" got a base model BEV Mega (or Deka), not apples to apples with a loaded Tera REx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
I read somewhere that due to the inefficiencies in the power grid and other things, there is more pollution created generating the electricity to charge an electric car than the car itself would produce having a modern gasoline engine.

But who knows.
Brought to you by the KOCH brothers! Don't believe the BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Just as a note...

No, you do not help the environment. Seriously. Electricity does not come free either; somebody pays for it, and it takes its toll to be produced.
I wouldn't probably go for a Viper but not for an I3 either.
A 2-3 series, or a even a very spacious and solid 5 with a diesel will do just fine. And with a diesel you will help the environment the most since you get the best energy/miles ratio. True

Do the math:
kwh battery capacity, $/per kwh charge, total $ per full charge to charge the battery.
Divide by "pure electric miles" and obtain cost per mile. Take after that in consideration the cost of the vehicle. Compare that with the cost of a normal 2 series (which is bigger and has a trunk) and see where you stand.
It was a test where the Volt cost $0.73/ mile and a normal gas 2.0 vehicle was $0.10/mile. Also keep in mind the max speed you can run on pure electric to get that range.

Oh, did I mentioned that to build a "green" vehicle damages the environment more than making an internal combustion vehicle?

Another thing, for example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On a small street, the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than 3 houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be over-loaded. There is also more pollution due to electricity demand, but you won't see it...

You will be surprised.
And all that, while you are sitting on top of an EMF environment which is as safe for your body as your cellphone is to the brain.
Wrong, all of that is wrong and complete and utter BS, all of it, 100% crap, GTFO of here with that.

----------------------------

Congrats! I followed the i3 from concept to production, I drove it when it made its rounds around the USA to BMW dealerships and I was HOOKED! It still took me a good year before I pulled the trigger on one, been driving mine for 20 months now and LOVE it. Pains me that my better half's CRV was recently wrecked and there is no BEV or RExEV equivalent to replace it with. I will very much hate buying another small SUV with a gasoline motor. Not an environmentalist here, those benefits are just icing on the cake! Crazy instant torque, low center of gravity, great utility, I could go on and on and on. I lowered mine and added some wheel spacers. If you have FB and have not yet joined the i3 FB group, do yourself a favor and join, the community there is AMAZING. Much better than what this site has degraded into over my 10 years of membership.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #69
Eye-O-Matic
Rep
Drives: S600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
2 cylinders

Wrong. The 2017 94ah i3 can go up to 120 on a full charge, with range extender there really isn't a limit to how far you can go. I took my 60ah i3 REx on a 1500 mile trip, no sweat, I frequently see 200-210 total range.

Yes, most likely his "friend" got a base model BEV Mega (or Deka), not apples to apples with a loaded Tera REx.

Brought to you by the KOCH brothers! Don't believe the BS!

Wrong, all of that is wrong and complete and utter BS, all of it, 100% crap, GTFO of here with that.

----------------------------

Congrats! I followed the i3 from concept to production, I drove it when it made its rounds around the USA to BMW dealerships and I was HOOKED! It still took me a good year before I pulled the trigger on one, been driving mine for 20 months now and LOVE it. Pains me that my better half's CRV was recently wrecked and there is no BEV or RExEV equivalent to replace it with. I will very much hate buying another small SUV with a gasoline motor. Not an environmentalist here, those benefits are just icing on the cake! Crazy instant torque, low center of gravity, great utility, I could go on and on and on. I lowered mine and added some wheel spacers. If you have FB and have not yet joined the i3 FB group, do yourself a favor and join, the community there is AMAZING. Much better than what this site has degraded into over my 10 years of membership.

Very well articulated on all accounts. I did join the main i3 FB page along with the So. Cal and San Diego i3 pages. Totally new community for me. By no means am I an environmentalist either. Actually, quite the opposite, and when all the enthusiast's starting chiming I initially was quite surprised. That is, until someone posted that the post had made the Front Page. Then it all made sense. I could hardly blame them. I would have had the same thoughts myself in the past. I totally get where they are coming from. Don't get me wrong, I still love fast cars, I always will love cool cars.

Someone on the So. Cal FB page said it best.......He said that I have not changed, he said that I have evolved. I believe this to be personally true on several levels. I can really appreciate a car like this now. It's purpose, it's engineering and development, it's impact not only on the reduction of emissions and fuel consumption, but the i3 and other forward thinking cars like it and their ability to catch the eye of longtime car guy's like me, and open our eyes into thinking in new directions.

Unbelievably, as a longtime car guy, this is the first BMW that I have owned/Leased. I have had so many great cars over the years. From Mopars to Mercedes, and imports from one part of the globe to the other. I will look forward to going to i series meet and greets just as I once did Viper and Mercedes gatherings.

The important take away here is this: It's obvious that we are all very passionate about cars. This "passion" is the trait that we feel deep down inside of us. Regardless of our preferences in what cars we currently love, our underlying passion for automobiles always remains. This is our common bond, this is what will always keep us together.
Appreciate 2
Imola.ZHP128.50
MFNATIK3487.00
      12-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #70
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I can't congratulate you on this.... I tried, but I can't.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. But I'll say this - large, naturally aspirated engines (V10's, V12's) have always been rare... but today they're VERY rare. They're works of art - usually touting buttery smooth, high-revving, super-linear power delivery while screaming and howling in upper registers that turbo cars just can't touch.

My R8's V10 tops at nearly 9k RPM, and there's nothing like hearing ten cylinders of a naturally aspirated engine singing at wide open throttle... nothing... well, except for 12 cylinders. While I find electric vehicles interesting, I don't find them remotely exciting. I also don't like watching silent movies much, either. We humans have a limited number of senses - sight, sound, touch, smell, taste... when you start to remove stimulation of a sense (in this case sound) from an experience, well... it just isn't the same.

Truth be told, though, I'm not much for turbo cars either. Unfortunately, it's pretty much the only food on the menu these days. So I'll tolerate it. But the reality is, I'd trade an old BMW N/A inline-6 any day over most of the new engines they're producing. Sure, I can stomp on it and get a surge of power... but it's nowhere near as predictable, controllable, or linear... and let's not even get into what it does to the exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #71
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
With this kind of language and behavior you will not gain respect or credibility. If you want to reiterate to your brain what a good choice you have made, there is no need, you made the choice already. That will not however change the facts or your lack of knowledge. You might not have the education, expertise and experience in the field, but others do.
Enjoy your EV. It doesn't matter to me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #72
Majec9-7
Enlisted Member
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: '07 E87 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-O-Matic View Post
Very well articulated on all accounts. I did join the main i3 FB page along with the So. Cal and San Diego i3 pages. Totally new community for me. By no means am I an environmentalist either. Actually, quite the opposite, and when all the enthusiast's starting chiming I initially was quite surprised. That is, until someone posted that the post had made the Front Page. Then it all made sense. I could hardly blame them. I would have had the same thoughts myself in the past. I totally get where they are coming from. Don't get me wrong, I still love fast cars, I always will love cool cars.

Someone on the So. Cal FB page said it best.......He said that I have not changed, he said that I have evolved. I believe this to be personally true on several levels. I can really appreciate a car like this now. It's purpose, it's engineering and development, it's impact not only on the reduction of emissions and fuel consumption, but the i3 and other forward thinking cars like it and their ability to catch the eye of longtime car guy's like me, and open our eyes into thinking in new directions.

Unbelievably, as a longtime car guy, this is the first BMW that I have owned/Leased. I have had so many great cars over the years. From Mopars to Mercedes, and imports from one part of the globe to the other. I will look forward to going to i series meet and greets just as I once did Viper and Mercedes gatherings.

The important take away here is this: It's obvious that we are all very passionate about cars. This "passion" is the trait that we feel deep down inside of us. Regardless of our preferences in what cars we currently love, our underlying passion for automobiles always remains. This is our common bond, this is what will always keep us together.
Just wanted to say man that it's a nice car. Whether I would buy it or others would is absolutely irrelevant.

You bought a car that saved you money first and foremost I am guessing. Then it's also a lot smaller than you previous ones which is great for the city.

It's just and added bonus that you are helping the environment. It's true that you are still poluting when electricity is being made and the car built, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Ignore the naysayers for now. If you will decide to buy a sports car again, don't worry you can do that still (sure the 1 of 22 Viper was quite a piece). I caught myself being too hard on my dad for buying a 4 cylinder car instead of a straight six. I caught myself being too hard on my dad for designing a car in his own way even though I didn't really put a lot of effort helping building it. It's just words started as fun but later transform into true nagging which can make a person sad I bet and that's just wrong. It stems from the fact that some people have the means to afford a car the naysayers can't. It's like a mini first-third world discrepcancy in the first world entirely, quite funny and logical really.

Anyway enough venting.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #73
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
With this kind of language and behavior you will not gain respect or credibility. If you want to reiterate to your brain what a good choice you have made, there is no need, you made the choice already. That will not however change the facts or your lack of knowledge. You might not have the education, expertise and experience in the field, but others do.
Enjoy your EV. It doesn't matter to me anyway.
Thanks for chiming in February of 2012 joinee, the issue is I don't have the time or the care to properly articulate all of the things you said that are wrong. I also have no care to gain anyone's respect or credibility, this is the internet, this is not real life. As I said before I am not an environmentalist, I bought an EV because it is better than ICE in every single way, every single way, EVERY SINGLE WAY. Your points have no validity and I will not further engage with you on how wrong they are, I do urge anyone that thinks there might be even just one shred of truth to any of the nonsense you spewed to use google and see that EVERY SINGLE thing you said is wrong.

You do realize you are in the "BMW i" forums, right? Don't walk into a MB forum talking trash on MB's and not expect someone to refute your ignorance (and arrogance), likewise, don't post in a BMW i forum staying all the idiotic rhetoric you did and not expect someone to call you out on it. So once again, GTFO of here with your nonsense. Go back to letting yourself, your kids and your family be smog filters for the gasoline you burn that helps you feel like you are someone special while traveling between meaningless points of your life.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #74
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
You do realize you are in the "BMW i" forums, right? Don't walk into a MB forum talking trash on MB's and not expect someone to refute your ignorance (and arrogance), likewise, don't post in a BMW i forum staying all the idiotic rhetoric you did and not expect someone to call you out on it. So once again, GTFO of here with your nonsense. Go back to letting yourself, your kids and your family be smog filters for the gasoline you burn that helps you feel like you are someone special while traveling between meaningless points of your life.
let me put down few things for you mr:

1. I do not come in to bash anything, use some logic if you can. I posted in one thread that was published on the main Home page, open to all BMW fans in this community. Otherwise, you will not see me on "BMW i" community, because I have zero interest in it. So your analogy is just a poor supposition, nothing else. Some homework might spare you from being ridiculous.

2- Do not worry. Even if you drive a EV, you are still a smog filter like all others. Your comment is not only dumb, but futile.

3- Your arrogance is obvious. I feel sorry to put it down for you, but you must drive that car for a looooot of years to get your money back. Unfortunately, you will need batteries soon and the resale value will be influenced not only by the year, shape and mileage but also by the battery usage.

4- If you are not in the field of electronics, radio waves and EMF don't speak. Trust your government and its "safe ratio" published studies. I suggest to check your blood, health, tissue and bone density now and come back in 15 years with the next tests.

5- Again, do not care about your poor comments, put down in a vulgar vocabulary. But, it's ok, not everyone can have a civil conversation or reply in a proper manner. For that reason, I will not continue a conversation with you, I really can not go that low. Sorry.

please be hands on and read about everything I say, stop being a mass media puppet. few facts to start:
- almost half the lifetime carbon-dioxide emissions from an electric car come from the energy used to produce the car, especially the battery. The mining of lithium, for instance, is a less than green activity. By contrast, the manufacture of a gas-powered car accounts for 17% of its lifetime carbon-dioxide emissions. When an electric car rolls off the production line, it has already been responsible for 30,000 pounds of carbon-dioxide emission. The amount for making a conventional car: 14,000 pounds.
- the life-cycle analysis shows that for every mile driven, the average electric car indirectly emits about six ounces of carbon-dioxide. The production of the electric car has already resulted in sizeable emissions—the equivalent of 80,000 miles of travel in the vehicle.
So unless the electric car is driven a lot, it will never get ahead environmentally

- reports showed that recharging takes so long that the average speed is close to six - ten miles per hour
- the batteries have no range and suffer in cold climates reducing the range and battery life. saw one tesla 2 days ago on the side of the road at -28C
- if the energy used to recharge the electric car comes mostly from coal-fired power plants, it will be responsible for the emission of almost 15 ounces of carbon-dioxide for every one of the 50,000 miles it is driven—three ounces more than a similar gas-powered car.

In the end, I apologize if some felt that I am against their choices, since this was not my intention. The ideea of "from pollution to green", made me make some comments. The EV is far from being green and healthy. Information is there for us to reach. It is up to us what we will do with it.

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-16-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #75
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
You're assuming the Viper's new owner is a 17yo with a 200mi commute, and the OP only used it to drive his mother to church on Sundays. Chances are the new owner will drive it in a similar manner as the OP. Plus, as the car ages it will be driven less and less.

Electrics haven't realized their full potential yet, and still have a number of challenges to overcome - but if you think we'll all be driving something powered by fossil fuels in 20 years you may be in for a surprise.
Electrics may not have realized their full potential yet but that doesn't mean they are the environmental choice for the future. Nitrogen vehicles are what are going to eventually replace ICE vehicles.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #76
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
I won't go into my usual diatribe of carbon footprint and the "eco/green" movement hypocrisy...

Someone, somewhere is caning on that Viper and Merc.

So if you're truly going to amortize the petroleum consumption of that car, it's better as a pleasure car that would be used on the weekends or 1 or 2 x per month. At 14mpg either car, put on say 100 miles a month, that's 7 gallons or so...

Versus the MB daily driving.... who knows the OPs commute but let's assume 40 miles a day (I think that's average right?). That's 800 miles a month not including weekends. That's more like 56 gallons... as a conservative estimate of 3 tanks. So in the course of a year, like 10k miles so 700ish gallons.

So i3 as a daily will save whatever the i3s consumption is to the MB Delta. And you drive the viper on the weekends and net a huge reduction in fuel consumption.

All of this is moot as the i3 is in the OPs possession and I drive a TTV8 and couldn't give 2 hoots about mpgs.... let's worry about something else that may move the needle like say.... China's air pollution????
You're assuming the Viper's new owner is a 17yo with a 200mi commute, and the OP only used it to drive his mother to church on Sundays. Chances are the new owner will drive it in a similar manner as the OP. Plus, as the car ages it will be driven less and less.

Electrics haven't realized their full potential yet, and still have a number of challenges to overcome - but if you think we'll all be driving something powered by fossil fuels in 20 years you may be in for a surprise.
Viper was what I think most of us are lamenting the OP parting with. Hell, buy the i3 and "save" the world.

I have a feeling you're in the progress is good camp. I'm more pragmatic and realize that there is no "free" anything. Basic physics of our existence states that you are stealing from Paul to pay Peter in all aspects of life. There are always consequences for one technology over another. The fallout may vary but the magnitude will be the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #77
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Viper was what I think most of us are lamenting the OP parting with. Hell, buy the i3 and "save" the world.

I have a feeling you're in the progress is good camp. I'm more pragmatic and realize that there is no "free" anything. Basic physics of our existence states that you are stealing from Paul to pay Peter in all aspects of life. There are always consequences for one technology over another. The fallout may vary but the magnitude will be the same.
I can appreciate the emotion around the OP losing his Viper...only he can determine if the trade offs are worth it - and it seems like he is very happy. My original reply was simply aimed at your 'consumption shift' comment...which I didn't agree with.

The universe doesn't have a requirement on the amount of energy it takes to create and propel a vehicle, and things do get better and more efficient over time. For example.... I averaged ~13mpg in my last M3, and now I get ~20mpg in my new one (which overall is a much faster vehicle). I don't buy cars for efficiency, but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating the progress that BMW and others have made.
      12-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #78
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:

I can appreciate the emotion around the OP losing his Viper...only he can determine if the trade offs are worth it - and it seems like he is very happy. My original reply was simply aimed at your 'consumption shift' comment...which I didn't agree with.

The universe doesn't have a requirement on the amount of energy it takes to create and propel a vehicle, and things do get better and more efficient over time. For example.... I averaged ~13mpg in my last M3, and now I get ~20mpg in my new one (which overall is a much faster vehicle). I don't buy cars for efficiency, but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating the progress that BMW and others have made.
Yea my house and car are powered using total solar power, nice and clean. So 20 or 30 years of driving my car using solar power and lighting my house that way you'd have a tough time telling me that driving the viper is cleaner.

Plus after 20 years my batteries will have their second life in a wind turbine or backup house generator. So the people who tell me that my battery powered car is worse off are full of it.

Maybe battery powered cars and Prius cars from yesterday, sure may be bigger polluters but this ones much better thought out.
Appreciate 0