Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
i8alot
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2016

How my i8 broke down after only 4 days of ownership

Hey everyone, this is the story of how my i8 broke down after 4 days and how it's still in the shop ever since. It's long but I'd appreciate any advice or feedback.

It was a 2016 pre-owned one with just 1 previous owner, 38.5k kms, and a clean record (except an estimate for repair for the front right bumper).

I chose to get a pre-owned one and try it out for 6 months before getting a new 2019 i8 as I wanted to get a feel of the lifestyle adjustment (less space, sports car etc) and logistics. BMW Toronto sales were aware of this.

I'm located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) and ordered an i8 from BMW Sherbrooke in Sherbrooke, Quebec. Financed through a third party. I wanted a blue one and it was one of 3 blue ones for sale in the whole country.

They had 2 pre-owned i8's, a blue and black. Blue was sitting for 2 months on the market and the black for longer (dropped by $4000) almost matching the blue on despite only have 14k mileage.

Anyways, BMW Sherbrooke dropped the price by $500 after some negotiation (very uncompromising) and said they would throw in the retrofitted key (with the control display) as I asked. While we were finalizing the paperwork, they dropped the listing price by another $400 and "didn't realize it" when we brought it up with them. They didn't pass it on to me and we didn't want to bother redoing the paperwork. They also later sent a quote for that key for full price of $750+tax. Didn't feel like dealing with it so just let it go.

I arranged for my own delivery from Sherbrooke to Toronto as the dealership wanted to charge at least $1200 plus it'll take a few days to get here. I found someone who got it for me for $700 all in delivery next morning.

By the time the third-party leasing company finished prepping and installing the gps tracker, I was able to pick it up that night (July 24th). As soon as I entered the car and turned it own, there were several warnings signs including:
  • Brake Fluid Service overdue (since January 2019)
  • Washer fluid (for the windshield) empty
Then when they were giving me a crash course on the i8, the fuel tank door was glitching. It kept saying "preparing for refuelling" for a good minute or two and would either work or not work. Recommending we manually open it (through the trunk). In addition, the tires reach their max life and need replacing. Everyone who saw it is telling me to replace them ASAP.

The car was also quite dirty and the delivery guy showed me pictures to tell me before he picked it up.

So first major issue: BMW Sherbrooke didn't prep the car for delivery.

The next morning, I passed by BMW Toronto who scheduled me in for an emergency service for the above issues for Tuesday morning (July 30th). They said it'll be ready by 5pm same day and they scheduled me a shuttle saying they can't offer me a loaner because I didn't get the car from them but from another BMW dealership. I didn't mind since it was just a same day service. BMW Toronto were surprised by the condition of the car and said they would never deliver a car in this condition.

I informed BMW Sherbrooke who acted oblivious to any of these and when I asked if they disclosed any of these issues during or after the sale to the third party, they said no and that it was sold "wholesale" as is. (Laws protect consumers against this specific claim btw).

I tried getting in a quick charge while at BMW Toronto before heading out but it was taking so long. They offered to bring it to the back to charge it quicker but was still not charging fast. Since I was late, I had to leave.

I went on a rally (Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Mt Tremblant) that morning and back (about 2000km total) Sunday (28th July). Monday 29th, I was running errands downtown and suddenly multiple warnings popped up. Among them:
  • Charging Malfunction
  • RBS Regenerative braking: Not available...
  • Drivetrain: vehicle cannot be restarted
  • Scariest one was something along the lines of "do not turn of engine. won't restart. drive to nearest service station if safe"

I pulled over on a side street then tried driving to nearest service station (bmw toronto) but couldn't go faster than 10km/h and the car started jerking and shaking (like a locomotive train). So I didn't want to get on the highway or any busy street like this. Called BMW assistance and they sent a tow. We got there as soon as they closed for the day. I thought it would be fine since we had an appointment the next morning anyway.

I asked for a loaner and they said "we don't have any" and "we can't issue one since you didn't get the car from us". No shuttle was available to take me home and he didn't even offer to put me in a taxi or even call me one. Pissed off, I called the sales team when I was back home and asked if this is normal treatment of bmw customers, let alone i8 customers because this will now be a major consideration when it comes time to get the 2019 i8. She said that's policy of the dealership but the service manager can make an exception.

The next day, I noticed that the car was still on the parking lot (from the app) and not being worked on. I passed by and they said they policy is that they have until 48-72 hours to put it in the shop. Despite already having an appointment for the "regular" stuff (fuel tank). They said it won't get in the shop until Thursday (Aug 1st). I bring up the loaner car again and they said they didn't have any. A lot of back and forth (and a pretty aggressive tone from me) reminding them that the potential sale of the 2019 i8 and x7 (I wanted an SUV in the winter) is down the drain and he decides to go speak to the service manager for a while. He comes back saying they approved me and to ask the person at the service (young guy who was super cool and nice to me). Suddenly there were 6-7 cars to choose from (supposedly they had none available right?). The best being an x3 so I took that.

The next day, I get multiple calls and texts asking for the x3 back as it has been sold. I assume the manager found out it was an x3 and didn't want me driving it. The guy said he'll have another car ready, most likely a 7series coupe. I told them I'll bring them back their car when I get my i8 back. To motivate them to hurry up and put my car in the shop. They kept saying they needed it. The next day, they call me at the end of the day to say the car is now in the shop but it's the end of the day so it won't be looked at till the next day (thursday). So after a couple hours, I drive there to return the x3 and the service manager brings me an x1 saying there's nothing else.

They requested my consent to take the i8 on an overnight drive by the service manager to make sure it's all good. I thought it would be a drive around the dealership. But later that evening, I see that my car is at an elementary school in Scarborough (a neighbouring city), then a couple hours later it's at a shopping centre in Markham (another further neighbouring city), then a few hours later it's at a residence in Ajax (another city) overnight then brought back to bmw toronto the next day in the parking. That's almost 200km of driving. I'm pissed off assuming they took it on a personal drive/use. I drive there to talk to them about it that day (Friday August 2nd). They said they encountered a major issue with the battery draining really fast and the "technician was able to drive it a certain way to get it safely to the house". I would've assumed they would bring it back to the bmw dealership as it was closer (15km away) instead of the technician's house over 100 km away. Gave them benefit of the doubt but none of my friends who drive bmws, including i8 ever heard of this and they are saying to make an issue out of it as it was clearly used for personal use.

Anyways, they declared the car undrivable and are refusing to release it. After much back and forth, they said the car is in parts in the shop in the back. They said the entire hybrid system needs replacing as well as all the parts that connect to it. They said they need special approval from BMW Canada before they can work on it because it's "one of the biggest single jobs they've seen in a car". The parts are well over $5000 and another few thousand dollars in labour (covered by warranty though). They gave me the following timeline:
  • At least 1 week to get approval from BMW Canada
  • Around 10-15 business days to get the parts as they are backlogged
  • Another at least a week for labour
  • Another overnight drive to make sure it's okay

He said it won't be until September before I get the car back. And he said "that's assuming all goes perfectly and on time" but "the likelihood of that is slim as there are so many parts being replaced".

On my way out, I see the service guy and joked if he wanted the x1 back. He was like "why do you have the x1?" I prepared a service agreement for the 4 series coupe for you before I left work so when you come by you can grab it. (Hence my theory that the manager doesn't want me driving their "nicer" cars). He told me he'll call me when a better car is returned.

Updated BMW Sherbrooke, who once again assumed no responsibility - even claimed that they may have "overlooked the overdue brake fluid service" (for 7 months lol?). He then said he's on vacation if we can speak next week (he also went on a vacation a few weeks ago). Felt like he was buying time.

I pulled a Trump-style Twitter rant in the middle of the night Saturday directed at BMW Canada, tagging in BMW Group and BMWi. PM'd them my VIN and contact details. Quickly got a response after a few hours saying I'll get a call from their team by 6pm Tuesday. Finally get the call just after 6pm.

Customer team of BMW Canada. Super nice and understanding. Informed him that both Aston Martin and Audi are offering me 2019 Vantage and R8 both priced to match a 2019 i8 after they heard my situation (which is true). Said he'll need to speak to BMW Toronto to understand exactly what's going on (tech-wise) before he can propose a solution. When I asked what are the options, he said it's case-by-case but could be compensation, ordering the parts expedited, or figuring out the loaner (he was surprised I was put in an x1 as well). He said he'll get back to me tomorrow and if not the day after tomorrow (which is tomorrow). Still haven't heard back but that's where it was left off, we'll see tomorrow.

So far, here are my main issues:
  • BMW Sherbrooke delivering the car with so many issues. not even cleaning it or filling the washer fluid
  • BMW Sherbrooke not replacing tires that have reached the end of their lives.
  • BMW Sherbrooke not disclosing any of the issues.
  • BMW Sherbrooke not passing on the $400 to me after they dropped the price of the car to less than I was paying. And not including the key.
  • The obvious one of the car breaking down after only 4 days.
  • Then being lied to about the availability of a loaner by BMW Toronto and the constant active attempt and making sure I'm not put in a better car. I'm paying for an i8 only to drive an x1 (for now, I'm sure they'll want that back too to put me in a lesser value car).

I'd appreciate any thoughts, feedback, and advice. I'm 25-26 and this is my first car so I'm not sure how to navigate this.

Update 1: August 8th: BMW Toronto Service call me to tell me that the warranty claim is still pending and hasn't been approved by BMW Canada yet. Suggested to ship the car back to BMW Sherbrooke and walk away. BMW Canada hasn't called me back and hasn't been responding to my calls all day.

Update 2: August 9th: BMW Canada calls me saying they spoke to BMW Toronto and said:
  • 1 of the technicians is on vacation and there's only one so it's moving slower
  • They won't need to do the whole job right away and just work on the wiring first to see if that will fix it (but it will take time because of the above)
  • When I told him that's not what BMW Toronto said (suggesting I just return and walk away), he was surprised and said he now needs to look into this and will cal be back end of day
  • He is going to look into why I wasn't given the 4series coupe as the service desk guy said he prepared it for me and will see if there's any better car available than the x1 (even though Toronto told him there isn't)
  • He is going to look into the whole overnight drive to see if that is normal procedure and why if there were issues within 10 km of driving, that they didn't return the car to the dealership instead of adding another 150km+ to the drive
  • He noted down BMW Sherbrooke's little to no response to this when I brought it up with them. Asked for names.
  • He said he will look into switching the cars with the other i8 but it's not something they usually do
  • He said the car needs to be fixed before they can offer/look into compensation

Update 3: August 9th end of day: BMW Canada told me the first repair of the "something electric harness bracket" needs a week including the overnight drive (joyride). So if all goes well with that, it should be ready next friday. If not, they will need to do the major repair of replacing the entire hybrid system which could take a month since the parts are backlogged but said, depending why, they may be able to expedite the part. He said no better loaner car is available supposedly according to BMW Toronto. And said they can't switch them out, it would need to be the dealer I got it from. But I clearly don't trust them with any other car. I told them I'll give them a week (i'm travelling anyway) to figure it out and if that doesn't fix it, then it's done. Either way, I'm not planning on holding onto this car after December.

Last edited by i8alot; 08-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
All I can say is wow...I'm sorry.

Here in the states- I'd have been raising all kind of hell. You're being way too kind IMO.

However i8 availability in the US is far greater than in Canada (I'm assuming) so All I Can recommend is preparing legal action of some sort? But then again, I know nothing of how things work in Canada...so yeah. Eesh- what a nightmare.
      08-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
i8alot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post

Here in the states- I'd have been raising all kind of hell. You're being way too kind IMO.

However i8 availability in the US is far greater than in Canada (I'm assuming) so All I Can recommend is preparing legal action of some sort? But then again, I know nothing of how things work in Canada...so yeah. Eesh- what a nightmare.
Yeah :/ What type of lawyer even covers this?

What would be your course of action if it happened to you in the states? Things work pretty similarily here in Canada except we probably have stricter consumer protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:52 AM   #4
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8alot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post

Yeah :/ What type of lawyer even covers this?

What would be your course of action if it happened to you in the states? Things work pretty similarily here in Canada except we probably have stricter consumer protection.
It varies state by state but iknow there are lawyers on here who will hopefully chime in soon as far as what you can do-

But considering the car was still under warranty- here in CA, the first thing id consider is filing it under the lemon law protection- I had to google it since I've only had issues with new vehicles- and my current CPO I8 hasn't ran into any yet *knock on wood*

From the sound of it- 38K miles is a lot of miles for it to have not even a hiccup then all of a sudden, go to shits. Sounds like negligence from your first dealership, now coupled with arrogance from bmw of Toronto for abusing of your situation.

If the same applies- I'd fight to lemon the car- and have it replaced with another used. And just wrap the car later to whatever blue you'd like
Attached Images

08-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
i8alot
Rep

I appreciate your input!

Another similar blue one just entered the market just north of my city. Similar specs/year. Only downside is that it's priced higher and I'd lose out on about 5-6 months of warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep

This is bad ... really bad!
Poor prep for delivery is actually quite common.
If it is minor, give them 1 chance to fix it ...
In your case, I would try to undo the sale, as they had their chance.
You are acting way too nice ... IMHO
X1 ... seriously ... I received an i8 roadster for 2 weeks (FOC) while they fixed their shitty delivery.
Appreciate 1
i8alot3.00
      08-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Stupid question: Does the i8 have the same problems as the i3 where the electronics go flaky when the 12V accessory battery is failing? The i3's 12V accessory batteries are crapping out at 3-4 years.....
      08-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
i8alot
Rep

You guys keep telling me I'm too nice but not telling me what I should do. I'm honestly extremely pissed off. This is my first car, paid a shit load (and continuing to pay a shit load on the lease/insurance/parking) only to have driven in for 4 days.

When I get a hold of BMW Canada this is what I will demand:
  1. Return of the car to BMW Sherbrooke at their expense
  2. Reimburse $700 delivery I had to pay to bring the car to Toronto
  3. They put me in another BMW i8 (there's an exact same one with similar mileage but just different interior/rims but $6000 more than the one I got) at the same price that I paid for the other
  4. An extended warranty of 3 years (for free) on the new car (to rebuild trust that I won't fall into this again)
  5. New tires on the new car (at their expense)
  6. A retrofitted key as I was originally promised ($750 value)
  7. $10,000 compensation for damages, costs, expenses incurred and time wasted

Is that fair?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #9
Ranchroundel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5mc & 2006 M Roadster

You have been through a lot and It is mind boggling that the two dealers you have dealt with were so unprofessional. It seems very clear that you have strong arguments against both them. Particularly the second one where a claim for theft may be made. What I am not clear about is how this is bmw’s fault other than not policing their dealers appropriately. I guess I would be set my expectations a bit lower on what bmw will provide. That said I hope you are treated far more fairly in the future.
Appreciate 1
i8alot3.00
      08-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
i8alot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchroundel View Post
You have been through a lot and It is mind boggling that the two dealers you have dealt with were so unprofessional. It seems very clear that you have strong arguments against both them. Particularly the second one where a claim for theft may be made. What I am not clear about is how this is bmw’s fault other than not policing their dealers appropriately. I guess I would be set my expectations a bit lower on what bmw will provide. That said I hope you are treated far more fairly in the future.
BMW is federal and not provincial. BMW Canada franchises directly. If they aren't ensuring code of standards are being respected and followed, it's their responsibility. Hence why I'm getting them involved to also "discipline" the dealerships. If they pay for their mistakes, they'll make sure those dealerships pay the price for all this mess.

BMW Canada also said among the options is compensation, figuring out the loaner, and expediting the shipment of the parts. This is where I'm getting the above ideas from.

"Particularly the second one where a claim for theft may be made."
Are you referring to BMW Toronto? Claim of theft for what exactly?

Appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #11
i8alot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1M View Post
X1 ... seriously ... I received an i8 roadster for 2 weeks (FOC) while they fixed their shitty delivery.
Was it a demo? And did you buy the car from that dealership?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
Ranchroundel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I am talking about the service manager or other employees going on a 200 K joy ride without your consent.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #13
i8alot
Rep

Quote:
I am talking about the service manager or other employees going on a 200 K joy ride without your consent.
That isn't normal right?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Was it a demo? And did you buy the car from that dealership?
Yes, I purchased a blue 2015 - 50k km, first owner car from the dealership and wasn't happy about the delivery too. Coincidence ;-)
Re-spray poorly executed, incorrect alarm system installed, comfort access still enabled (which can and should be coded out in Europe as it is a invitation to get your car stolen). That was 3 out of 5 requests they f***ed up (and that after a 2-month wait before picking up the car).
Agreed to give them a chance to fix it but only with a proper replacement vehicle. We drove nearly 2 weeks in a 2018 demo i8 roadster for free, turning my Mrs. into the coolest teacher by far ;-)
Took them longer than anticipated as the tank depressurization was faulty again (which had already been replaced once before). So I'm on my 3rd "tank" already.
Left the less desired alarm system installed and traded it against 2 new rear tires ... again FOC.
Obviously the f***ers installed the rear 625 styling wheels incorrectly (left wheel fitted on the right side and right wheel fitted left).
Just noticed it after bringing the car home.
Thank god my local (different) dealer has a great service department I can rely on!
No need to visit the selling dealer as warranty can be claimed (a month after the purchase date or so) at any dealership.

Well, moral of my story.
There are absolute idiot dealerships around and many of us are or have been suffering from it.
Get someone to deal with this case on your behalf. Get rid of it! Undo the sale and walk away without paying anything ... not a dollar and no commitment you buy any car of them after they take back the i8.
3rd party financing makes it complicated. Did you trade in a car?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #15
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That isn't normal right?
No, it is NOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #16
i8alot
Rep

Quote:
No, it is NOT.
BMW Toronto said they needed to test it out on different roads/environments apparently
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #17
i8alot
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I purchased a blue 2015 - 50k km, first owner car from the dealership and wasn't happy about the delivery too. Coincidence ;-)
Re-spray poorly executed, incorrect alarm system installed, comfort access still enabled (which can and should be coded out in Europe as it is a invitation to get your car stolen). That was 3 out of 5 requests they f***ed up (and that after a 2-month wait before picking up the car).
Agreed to give them a chance to fix it but only with a proper replacement vehicle. We drove nearly 2 weeks in a 2018 demo i8 roadster for free, turning my Mrs. into the coolest teacher by far ;-)
Took them longer than anticipated as the tank depressurization was faulty again (which had already been replaced once before). So I'm on my 3rd "tank" already.
Left the less desired alarm system installed and traded it against 2 new rear tires ... again FOC.
Obviously the f***ers installed the rear 625 styling wheels incorrectly (left wheel fitted on the right side and right wheel fitted left).
Just noticed it after bringing the car home.
Thank god my local (different) dealer has a great service department I can rely on!
No need to visit the selling dealer as warranty can be claimed (a month after the purchase date or so) at any dealership.

Well, moral of my story.
There are absolute idiot dealerships around and many of us are or have been suffering from it.
Get someone to deal with this case on your behalf. Get rid of it! Undo the sale and walk away without paying anything ... not a dollar and no commitment you buy any car of them after they take back the i8.
3rd party financing makes it complicated. Did you trade in a car?
Appreciate the context. This will definitely be my first and last BMW. Was also considering getting the x7 as a winter car but will look to the Range Rover or G-wagon (long waiting list here in Toronto). For the sports car, I'm being offered an Audi R8 and a 2019 Aston Martin Vantage at the price of a new i8 (after they heard about my experience).

BMW can't push supercars without having super level support system (customer service, technicians, loaners etc). This is why they are down 22% globally on electric car sales. People who can afford $200k cars are already in Ferraris and Lamborghinis and already experienced the level of customer service from both those companies.

I'm also wondering if location matters. I assume not many people are buying these cars in the Netherlands compared to Toronto? (excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong). So they generally just don't care?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #18
Ranchroundel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

In my experience, location does matter. Over the past 20 years I have purchased or leased for myself, my wife and my kids 21 bmws from Schomp Bmw here in Colorado, USA. I have been extremely well treated by these folks and in many ways they have gone above and beyond to make sure I am happy with my cars. Even to the point of taking me out of an x6 that had some problems with a refund of my down payment and selling me a x5m at their cost or about 16,000 under MSRP.
You have had a terrible experience with two bmw dealers. I understand that as this is perhaps your first experience with acquiring a bmw, your opinion is driven by this ugly experience.
Your experience not withstanding, myself, and I would suspect many others, have had very positive experiences with bmw.
I love this company and it’s products and will continue to own them for as long as I can turn a steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #19
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep

@i8alot: do not confuse an inferior product and inferior service! The i8 is a great product, with some flaws, but overall a very affordable and quality vehicle (which imho will be a -near- future classic!).
I'm only talking you out of this car, as the dealership you dealt with is absolutely horrible and I personally would not allow them to make a single $ on this deal, hence my suggestion to reverse it.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #20
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

When I get a hold of BMW Canada this is what I will demand:
[LIST=1][*]Return of the car to BMW Sherbrooke at their expense
^ this. After 29 years of car ownership and working on my own cars, I'd want to dump this particular car as quickly as possible. Electrical issues can result in this car being down a very long time, and they can't give you accurate estimates because they know this. Sherbrooke was more than happy to transfer this risk to another dealership/owner. Your delear wanted to make a quick buck while avoiding having to prep the car for sale. It results in the sales department of both dealerships pointing at the other dealership as the problem. Both dealerships came out with a win (Sherbrooke dumped a problem car and Toronto made money on a sale). Sadly, you are the loser in this particular sale and none of them really care.

Personally, this is what I would do. Don't take the advice if you don't want to. I won't be upset. If BMW is unable to resolve this by having Sherbrooke take the car back, say thank you and hang up. Don't tell BMW you're doing this, but find a lawyer who will represent you and let the lawyer do all the talking. At that point, they'll know you're serious and may actually comply, because they're not listening to you now and they likely won't listen to you in the future.

The i8 is a great, but complex piece of technology, over-engineered to be a cutting edge vehicle. It will not be without problems, now and in the future. You need service and support that works with you and takes care of your concerns. Run away.
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #21
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My thoughts:
1) buying a used i8 with intent to 'try out' the car for half a year before investing in a new one was not a good idea.
2) buying the particular car from Sherbrooke sight unseen was a bad idea.
3) expecting BMW Canada to compensate you for Sherbrooke's crappy sale is a mess.
4) service tech driving your car for an extended period is not joyriding.

My advice? Take car back to Sherbrooke. Get advice from BMW Toronto as to how to best do this. Don't expect to be compensated for transport costs. Don't get emotional about this disappointing experience. Audi and Range Rover are no more reliable than BMW. Don't take what loaner car you get as a personal insult. Don't expect to be treated like royalty because you 'might' buy a new i8 in the future. Developing a good long term relationship with a dealer can be a good thing.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #22
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm going to say you may be being unreasonable.

You dropped the car off for a massive job without notice. A place that didn't sell you the car. Then you DEMANDED they fix it NOW. They didn't even know what was broken to start with. They were down a technician.

So what did they do, in order to do you a favor? They drive the car to find out what's wrong. The guy probably had shit to do in his real life. 'I'll drive the car to pick up my kid and see what wrong' or whatever to save time so he doesn't leave his kid at a school or whatever.

You're being a real ungrateful dick about this imo.

BMW is busier than ever and they have full schedules with people who have issues just like you. Loaner vehicles are expensive and bmw provides them when possible as a convenience for you. Are you really throwing a fit about this? An X1 ? Boohoo.

Why do you expect everyone else to accommodate and pay to fix YOUR CAR? It's yours!

Did the original dealer lie and obfuscate to trick you in to buying it? Seems likely. That shit didn't happen magically 4 days After you got it.

Being angry at Toronto is rediculous imo. They even gave you a car they wanted to sell, which is very far above and beyond what they had to do.
Appreciate 0