BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-30-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 + Lamborghini Huracan LP610

Why So Many i8 For Sale Now??

Me Again...So I should have my i8 in the next couple of weeks. I just shipped them the r8 I am trading in & I fly out on the 4th to seal the deal with cash.

My question though is why the heck are there so many out there for sale when it has not even been out that long? There are a ton of 2014 2015 models with only 400 - 900 or 2k miles on them for sale.

Why does it seem like so many people who bought them are turning rite back around & selling them after only 700 miles or so? Any issues I should know about here?

Also what is BMW just slamming them out or what? There are a lot on eBay & Auto Trader & like 470 on Cars.com.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #2
rap427
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8

Garage List
I really don't think there are any real issues. It is basically a high tech car that works in its space. Several things (in my opinion) are driving this. First BMW decided to take a limited production, exotic car (which they had told the world) and mass produce it because their i3 failed to meet expectations. As on all cars like this buyers buy them initially and do not have to be sold them. Second, they are an attention grabber, not really that fast, are a bit hard to get in and out of and the new has worn off. Initially "car guys" had to have one and that need was filled. They are now moving on. Now BMW has to figure out how to sell a $150k car to the typical $150k car buyer and it would appear the buyer is making other choices. The new Porsche, NSX, Mclaren, BMW M4 GTS, R8, etc are all competing in this space and BMW is making too many i8's. If you remember the real estate crash in '07-'08 while there were other factors it started with over production.
I watch Cars.com every day now. When I started again a few weeks back there was around 400 for sale new and now there's 476, another 100 or so pre-owned and the '16's are around the corner. In fact in Sept/'14 on Cars.com I watched the volume of sale cars go from single digits at real stupid prices to what is is today. Stupid is gone because there are 500+ for sale. If you have played in the high end car market it has never been hard to find low miles,no miles Porsche's, Ferrari's, Mclaren's, Astons etc. lots of guys want it bad for a month or so and then goodby. In fact a relatively new Ferrari gets killed if it has more than 1000 miles on the clock .
A great car impacted by good ole greed. And if Honda had 10,000 Accords on the ground I doubt they would be concerned. All of us that buy cars for reasons other than transportation get bit, just get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

500+ for sale is hardly a cause for a bubble. I don't even know what production numbers are because I don't really care. Just drive the damn thing and enjoy it!
      10-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
rap427
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone that already owns a depreciating asset as we all do and states no concern for any new developments in the market obviously had a great ride in 2007.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
KevinB61
Rep
Drives: 15 I8 IonicSilver Pure Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap427 View Post
Anyone that already owns a depreciating asset as we all do and states no concern for any new developments in the market obviously had a great ride in 2007.
Or, maybe they just lease their vehicles, so they don't have to concern themselves with future value. They just drive them and enjoy them.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB61 View Post
Or, maybe they just lease their vehicles, so they don't have to concern themselves with future value. They just drive them and enjoy them.
You point out a good thing as well. I buy all my cars 100% no lease usually title in hand so I think a lot of people as well might be leasing so they really could care less what happens to value or anything they already have thier contract & know what they are doing in a couple years or so with it.

But overall i'm just happy to be getting one really. Had fun with my r8 now I want to experience something new. I honestly do not plan on swapping up on cars anymore for years to come so i'm not worries about value either for that case I just wanted to make sure the cars did not have some kind of issues I did not know about & that's why everyone was turning around selling them so damn fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
KevinB61
Rep
Drives: 15 I8 IonicSilver Pure Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitz101 View Post
You point out a good thing as well. I buy all my cars 100% no lease usually title in hand so I think a lot of people as well might be leasing so they really could care less what happens to value or anything they already have thier contract & know what they are doing in a couple years or so with it.

But overall i'm just happy to be getting one really. Had fun with my r8 now I want to experience something new. I honestly do not plan on swapping up on cars anymore for years to come so i'm not worries about value either for that case I just wanted to make sure the cars did not have some kind of issues I did not know about & that's why everyone was turning around selling them so damn fast.
Yep. Makes sense. I chose to lease, for a couple of other reasons also. The tech is changing so rapidly, that I know in 3 years there will either be a new version of this car, or another new BMW that I just gotta have (I tend at this point to be pretty much a BMW guy). Also, with all this new tech, I would very nervous to own a car like this post-warranty (at least without extended-warranty).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #8
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Me Again...So I should have my i8 in the next couple of weeks. I just shipped them the r8 I am trading in & I fly out on the 4th to seal the deal with cash.

My question though is why the heck are there so many out there for sale when it has not even been out that long? There are a ton of 2014 2015 models with only 400 - 900 or 2k miles on them for sale.

Why does it seem like so many people who bought them are turning rite back around & selling them after only 700 miles or so? Any issues I should know about here?

Also what is BMW just slamming them out or what? There are a lot on eBay & Auto Trader & like 470 on Cars.com.

I guess in parts its a normal effect as production ramps up, and in part it may be owners who got in over their heads, but really wanted to have one. Now they have to face reality.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I was picking up my i3 today and an i8 was being taken in on trade
      10-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

Was he walking funny after he traded it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
I was picking up my i3 today and an i8 was being taken in on trade
      10-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
Was he walking funny after he traded it in?
LMAO...Yeah I haven't even drove mine yet but I love the damn thing already. It's like as soon as I seen it & it's features & videos of review drives I knew it was something I wanted for along time now in a car.

If all goes well I plan to keep it & my wide body 650i for a long time & take some years away from the cars lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:11 AM   #12
rap427
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You guys have a good point about leasing. If you lease you could care less about value. I buy all mine so future value is something I think about. Time will be interesting as to how many are leased. You can now lease for 12 months so some of them could be coming off lease. Leasing enables the purchase of a vehicle you could not afford to buy as you are just buying the use of the car for a predetermined period. There are a bunch of cool cars we could afford the lease payment but never afford to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 06:28 AM   #13
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap427 View Post
You guys have a good point about leasing. If you lease you could care less about value. I buy all mine so future value is something I think about. Time will be interesting as to how many are leased. You can now lease for 12 months so some of them could be coming off lease. Leasing enables the purchase of a vehicle you could not afford to buy as you are just buying the use of the car for a predetermined period. There are a bunch of cool cars we could afford the lease payment but never afford to buy it.

Yeah that would make a lot of sense as to why there are so many so quick with low miles. I doubt it's a bunch of people who just got tired or need to sell it..maybe some yeah but I can easily see many of these being 1 year leases people got for a little fun.

I plan to own mine for many many years to come with only 700 miles & in near perfect condition the lease person just gave me a better deal the way I see it haha.

I'v always been against leases though. For many reasons. For 1 I mod all my cars (more than just tint) things you don't want to invest into just to return the car like wheels, tires, lower, tint etc. Also I rather just own the thing then have to pay those crazy 1-2k bills a month for something you just give back & is not really yours & I just like to have that title in hand. If I ever want to or need to sell it the title is there i can do whatever I want with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #14
rap427
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good luck have fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
BklynTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2011 White 328 xDrive Sedan

My two cents..BMW is running a business and it's supply and demand..the initial demand was high and they gave the green light to produce as many as they thought they could sell. Now demand has cooled and they have plenty of cars to sell.

Additionally, lets not forget it's a luxury item...therefore when grown men get tired of their toys...they move on and don't care about what mere mortals usually get concerned with...depreciation and loss of money. They want what's next and move on...BTW..while it is cheaper to lease in general, leasing a $150K ain't cheap...you still need to be making paper to afford one...leasing just gives the flexibility of being able to move on with no worries...plus many are writing at least some portion of these off as a business expense...

I'm more interested in seeing how fast they depreciate and as someone already mentioned what will the i8 2.0 look like? Better battery life?...more power? Maybe a 4 cylinder instead of a 3? Wider wheels?, sunroof?, convertible? targa?

Until then...if I had one I'd be driving it as often as possible and enjoying it to the fullest!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #16
hytek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, 335i

I was at my dealer recently, shopping for an xdrive40e. They told me that it's still a 3-4 month wait to get an i8. Maybe he was lying, but there was no motive.
It's possible that there are pockets where supply exceeds demand, but the global market may still be well balanced.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #17
BklynTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2011 White 328 xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytek View Post
I was at my dealer recently, shopping for an xdrive40e. They told me that it's still a 3-4 month wait to get an i8. Maybe he was lying, but there was no motive.
It's possible that there are pockets where supply exceeds demand, but the global market may still be well balanced.
Globally that could be the case but if any of those countries go online and search Cars.com or Autotrader.com they will find over 500! Depending on the value of the dollar in their country and global shipping they might get a great deal buying here!

If I was ready to buy tomorrow I'd find one with 1K-3K miles on it and would wear a ski mask while making an offer to ensure they knew I intend to rob them on pricing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #18
Chalermchai Wongwaiwit
Mr.
Thailand
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I am from Bangkok and own Porsche Panamera Turbo, BMW 7 series, Mercedes S class and Audi A7. I am a sucker for all well made German cars. Three months ago I bought a brand new i8 and love it. I thought it was the most advanced car ever made.

However, strangely just before I bought my car, there was one i8 for sale here in Thailand with only 2,000 km on it. I almost bought that car, but the owner made a turnaround and said he didn't want to sell it just yet.

Now my car has 6,000 km on it and in the garage for "drivetrain; no restart" problem. The car has been there for 10 days now. Initially they fixed it in one day by resetting the gear and changing the 12 V battery. However after driving home it went dead again the next day. The mechanic doesn't seem sure what the problem is, but says that parts have to be ordered and I may have to wait much longer.

Incidentally, there is another i8 in the dealership with most of the front motor taken out. The mechanic said the control board has a chip that is fried. He suspected electrical fault when that car was being charged. It will also take a long time for the part to be ordered.

After reading this forum, I suspect my car may have a "software" problem. It might have forgotten what gear it was in when the car was turned off. Like all cars, it would not start if they gear is still in Drive or Reverse. I told the mechanic and he will try to reset the gear again and see if that is the problem. I will know shortly if that is it.

I guess this is the price you pay for buying such as advanced, but newly developed car. I am confident BMW will fix it. I do hope they will give free updated software that fixes this problem.

Other than this annoyance of my new car being in the garage for 10 days (or more), I still love the car when it was still good.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #19
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalermchai Wongwaiwit View Post
I am from Bangkok and own Porsche Panamera Turbo, BMW 7 series, Mercedes S class and Audi A7. I am a sucker for all well made German cars. Three months ago I bought a brand new i8 and love it. I thought it was the most advanced car ever made.

However, strangely just before I bought my car, there was one i8 for sale here in Thailand with only 2,000 km on it. I almost bought that car, but the owner made a turnaround and said he didn't want to sell it just yet.

Now my car has 6,000 km on it and in the garage for "drivetrain; no restart" problem. The car has been there for 10 days now. Initially they fixed it in one day by resetting the gear and changing the 12 V battery. However after driving home it went dead again the next day. The mechanic doesn't seem sure what the problem is, but says that parts have to be ordered and I may have to wait much longer.

Incidentally, there is another i8 in the dealership with most of the front motor taken out. The mechanic said the control board has a chip that is fried. He suspected electrical fault when that car was being charged. It will also take a long time for the part to be ordered.

After reading this forum, I suspect my car may have a "software" problem. It might have forgotten what gear it was in when the car was turned off. Like all cars, it would not start if they gear is still in Drive or Reverse. I told the mechanic and he will try to reset the gear again and see if that is the problem. I will know shortly if that is it.

I guess this is the price you pay for buying such as advanced, but newly developed car. I am confident BMW will fix it. I do hope they will give free updated software that fixes this problem.

Other than this annoyance of my new car being in the garage for 10 days (or more), I still love the car when it was still good.

- -

Sorry to hear about your i8. Hopefully they get that all fixed up soon. But jeez you own a TON of similarly competing rival cars haha. All just for you or you mean others drive them as well like wife, kids or something? I also had an a7 until recently when I swapped it with something else but having that & a Panamera + S class + 7 series is a lot of luxury 4 doors haha. I mean to each his own but if I could & had a garage big enough for all of that i'd go with some different styles for different feels & options. Like say..i8, A7, New S class AMG coupe, M6 coupe, then maybe something crazy above the i8 like say a new McLaren 570s

Dreams
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:54 AM   #20
Chalermchai Wongwaiwit
Mr.
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
- -

Sorry to hear about your i8. Hopefully they get that all fixed up soon. But jeez you own a TON of similarly competing rival cars haha. All just for you or you mean others drive them as well like wife, kids or something? I also had an a7 until recently when I swapped it with something else but having that & a Panamera + S class + 7 series is a lot of luxury 4 doors haha. I mean to each his own but if I could & had a garage big enough for all of that i'd go with some different styles for different feels & options. Like say..i8, A7, New S class AMG coupe, M6 coupe, then maybe something crazy above the i8 like say a new McLaren 570s

Dreams

It’s true what you say that all my cars are alike. I just feel the two back seats are more practical whenever I need to take more passengers, even though I drive alone most of the time. All the cars are for my wife and me. Our only son is going to college at U of California.

The Audi A7 I keep parked at my vacation house in LA and used only every 3-4 months when we visit. (I went to school in the US when I was young and still feel the attachment).

The BMW 740i is 6 years old and I am waiting to trade it in for the new 7.

The Mercedes S class is for my wife. Sometimes she is chauffer driven. (It is normal in Thailand for people to have chauffer). I hate this car. It’s like driving a boat.

Primarily I switch between the Porsche Panamera Turbo and the i8. But now my i8 is still in the garage.

I prefer the i8 because Bangkok traffic is probably the worst in the world, and the i8 is more civilized. When I get stuck in traffic, I just go into eMode and feel “green” for not adding to the already bad air pollution. The Panamera is used when I know I will travel more on the highways. The Panamera is actually hard to drive in slower traffic. The i8 is like driving a golf cart in the slow traffic.

You asked why I don’t go for other exotic cars?

In Thailand, import tax for cars is almost 300% !!!. The Panamera was US$ 550,000. The BMW 7 was locally assembled and cost US$230,000. The S class was locally assembled with small diesel hybrid engine and cost US$ 250,000. The i8 got away with less than 100% for being hybrid and small 1,500 cc engine and costs a relatively cheap $300,000 from unauthorized dealership. (US$ 380,000 from authorized BMW dealership).

Other exotic cars such as the Mclaren, Ferrari or Aston Martin have to pay regular import tax and go for above US$ 600,000!!!! That’s why I chose the i8. At $300,000 it is considered a bargain.

You’d think the car prices I mentioned are unrealistic because you’d think Thailand is still a relatively poor country. However we Thais are used to the car prices. And here you either have the money or you don’t.

Crazy isn’t it?
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #21
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalermchai Wongwaiwit View Post
It’s true what you say that all my cars are alike. I just feel the two back seats are more practical whenever I need to take more passengers, even though I drive alone most of the time. All the cars are for my wife and me. Our only son is going to college at U of California.

The Audi A7 I keep parked at my vacation house in LA and used only every 3-4 months when we visit. (I went to school in the US when I was young and still feel the attachment).

The BMW 740i is 6 years old and I am waiting to trade it in for the new 7.

The Mercedes S class is for my wife. Sometimes she is chauffer driven. (It is normal in Thailand for people to have chauffer). I hate this car. It’s like driving a boat.

Primarily I switch between the Porsche Panamera Turbo and the i8. But now my i8 is still in the garage.

I prefer the i8 because Bangkok traffic is probably the worst in the world, and the i8 is more civilized. When I get stuck in traffic, I just go into eMode and feel “green” for not adding to the already bad air pollution. The Panamera is used when I know I will travel more on the highways. The Panamera is actually hard to drive in slower traffic. The i8 is like driving a golf cart in the slow traffic.

You asked why I don’t go for other exotic cars?

In Thailand, import tax for cars is almost 300% !!!. The Panamera was US$ 550,000. The BMW 7 was locally assembled and cost US$230,000. The S class was locally assembled with small diesel hybrid engine and cost US$ 250,000. The i8 got away with less than 100% for being hybrid and small 1,500 cc engine and costs a relatively cheap $300,000 from unauthorized dealership. (US$ 380,000 from authorized BMW dealership).

Other exotic cars such as the Mclaren, Ferrari or Aston Martin have to pay regular import tax and go for above US$ 600,000!!!! That’s why I chose the i8. At $300,000 it is considered a bargain.

You’d think the car prices I mentioned are unrealistic because you’d think Thailand is still a relatively poor country. However we Thais are used to the car prices. And here you either have the money or you don’t.

Crazy isn’t it?

WOW that is insane!!

Well you seem very well off yourself & successful so I hope you continue to be & have fun with those cars man! I'm probably one of the youngest owners on this forum or anywhere really haha but I'm just now starting to grow. Hope I can say I have a vacation house in LA with a nice car waiting for whenever we feel like going out to hangout ha.

For real nice choices & Now I fully understand the choices with those costs. Thats insane that they charge that much extra for them & probably other goods too huh? If it was me then i'd be riding around in a freaking prius over there like forget that
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #22
Chalermchai Wongwaiwit
Mr.
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
WOW that is insane!!

Well you seem very well off yourself & successful so I hope you continue to be & have fun with those cars man! I'm probably one of the youngest owners on this forum or anywhere really haha but I'm just now starting to grow. Hope I can say I have a vacation house in LA with a nice car waiting for whenever we feel like going out to hangout ha.

For real nice choices & Now I fully understand the choices with those costs. Thats insane that they charge that much extra for them & probably other goods too huh? If it was me then i'd be riding around in a freaking prius over there like forget that

For more insanity, a Rolls Royce Ghost cost US$ 1.3 million here. The salesperson keeps calling me saying she wants to bring the car to my house for me to test drive. I have to keep telling her that I'm too poor and can't afford it. :

The bad news today is the mechanic still can't get my i8 to start.
Appreciate 0