BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
TheOne
BROKER
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 F82 M4 Competition BSM

I'm completely with Needsdecaf and doug_999 here.

I've had BMW Nav. Systems in 3 of my last 3 series and they never improved the borderline idiotic routing system! Every free app out there now does a better job finding an address.

And if I don't send the address to my car through google, most of the times the nav, can't find my address because it's not intelligent enough to distinguish that so and so number of so and so street falls into a different municipality !!!

PS. I have BMW app on my car and the new update of TuneIn Radio on iphone has brought the integration of the app with your in car system already ! So the future is here ! So to speak !

Retired : '05 E46 330ci ZHP Sparkling Graphite on Blk | '08 E92 335 Blk on Coral Red | '11 E92 335is Blk on Blk | '15 F82 ///M4 MG on SO
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Maybe, except Ford's SYNC works always and is 10 times better and more reliable.
Plus it learns your accent. I wish BMW's be that good.
I disagree. Have YOU had any real life experience with it? I had a '13 Escape Titanium for a rental for 2 weeks. The caller ID and phone system kept writing letters over letters (not readable), it was ghosting the lines together, text messages came through from different people, but the system said it was ALL from the same person, the system kept telling me the reverse camera malfunctioned, but the model I had did not HAVE a reverse camera....

This all happened in 2 weeks. No way. Not to mention the 2nd gen SYNC rebooted and blared the stereo at you and AC full blast in the winter. Too many kinks. (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/f...a-buggy-start/)

NO thanks.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Any info on which vehicles will get updates to this version?
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #26
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
I disagree. Have YOU had any real life experience with it? I had a '13 Escape Titanium for a rental for 2 weeks. The caller ID and phone system kept writing letters over letters (not readable), it was ghosting the lines together, text messages came through from different people, but the system said it was ALL from the same person, the system kept telling me the reverse camera malfunctioned, but the model I had did not HAVE a reverse camera....

This all happened in 2 weeks. No way. Not to mention the 2nd gen SYNC rebooted and blared the stereo at you and AC full blast in the winter. Too many kinks. (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/f...a-buggy-start/)

NO thanks.
I have a wide experience with Ford (I had a corporate car every six months), my Nokia simply connects with their Sync and works even with the voice command, and I have an accent.
Two Bimmers in the house, none of them is able to see my phone (I don't have an Iphone because it has no buttons and I am not a gynecologist patient guy plus needs to be recharged every day, my Nokia is charged once a week only). The X1 can see my phone only if I am talking while I am opening the door and start the car while I am talking n the phone. Otherwise it bulshits me all the time. My wife's galaxy sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Also the bimmers mixes up the caller id, my Nokia is pronouncing the name of the caller (which is the right one), the bimmer says nothing and displays a different number.

I must admit, their SYNC is FAR superior to BMW. And yes, I am a savy tech guy.

PS
Your Ford was a rental, next time, clean all the previous existing pairings from the system and make a clean connection, you will like it.

Last edited by Teutonic; 06-06-2013 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #27
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

looks nice. as for that redirect, could have been an accident?
      06-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I guess the article I read few weeks about new car market was dead ON right. Todays car buyers are more concerned with how their gadgets integrate with car and how they could access the internet while on go and text message etc.

All the while least concerned about the fundamental driving dynamics that make driving truly fun. In other words they are more in love with their i-phones and i-pads and 3G internet connections/texts. A ride as soft as melted butter so they feel like they are still siting on their bed at home. The steering wheel as numb and wooden as possible.......in fact better yet if the car could just drive itself so they can "like" 60 things on facebook and send 50 instagrams and take 10 pictures of themselves and add it to their facebook wall. The more anemic the engine the better as long as it saves gas all is forgiven. Who has time to hear a fantastic engine note over all the music files they have downloaded.

In other word the new generation drivers are least interested in what made cars special...........the driving feel and driving dynamics. The whole driving concept bores them. The car makers are rushing to full fill their needs with self parking, driving, sterile, boring, full of gadget cars with great gas mileage.

The future does look bleak when instead of improvements in steering feel and driving dynamics..........a BMW performance oriented car maker boosts more about i-drive connectivity. I am not against gadgets but not at the expense of horrible driving dynamics. Please, fix the garbage and artificial steering feel of new BMW's and concentrate on driving dynamics and overall fun factor not just gadgets. Also, while at it fix the start and stop stuttering mess and the sound of 28i 4 cylinder engines. Also, put all M cars on diet including the M6 and M5.

Alas..........otherwise BMW in pursuit of greater sales to non enthusiasts just give us an i-phone with wheels.......so for once and for all the mission is accomplished....... and we stop hoping for great driving cars
Lighten up, Francis. Movies don't cost a nickel anymore either.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I'm going to guess that NO vehicle upgrades for past models. 2014 you get it, earlier you don't. I'm sure this will all involve new hardware, as well as new software so those of us with '12 and '13s are out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyun89 View Post
Yet they have no multi-language support for iDrive... I need to see Korean for my mp3 files ... MB does it.. why not BMW? Most Americans are bilingual these days...
In Korea they still do not sell SIM cards to non-locals who are visiting South,Korea. With a country as developed as they are one would figure that they would at least have SIM cards for visitors and tourists but no.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
I have a wide experience with Ford (I had a corporate car every six months), my Nokia simply connects with their Sync and works even with the voice command, and I have an accent.
Two Bimmers in the house, none of them is able to see my phone (I don't have an Iphone because it has no buttons and I am not a gynecologist patient guy plus needs to be recharged every day, my Nokia is charged once a week only). The X1 can see my phone only if I am talking while I am opening the door and start the car while I am talking n the phone. Otherwise it bulshits me all the time. My wife's galaxy sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Also the bimmers mixes up the caller id, my Nokia is pronouncing the name of the caller (which is the right one), the bimmer says nothing and displays a different number.

I must admit, their SYNC is FAR superior to BMW. And yes, I am a savy tech guy.

PS
Your Ford was a rental, next time, clean all the previous existing pairings from the system and make a clean connection, you will like it.
I have the old Nav in my car, waiting to use the new one in the new car (extensively that is) so I cannot comment on it yet.

But with the original CCC my Bluetooth works fantastic every time, never has a problem syncing with any phone and the caller ID is spot on every time.

My sister has an Explorer and I had an Edge rental for 6 months (cleaned everything out like you stated), and I could not wait to get rid of it. It did a lot more then my CC but crashed consistently. Once it was so bad that I lost everything, the screen locked I had no radio, climate, phone etc. Even when I started the car back up it did work, I had to search on the internet for a manual restart.

My issues with the Ford and the new CUE system is not what they do its how unreliable they are. BMW's are not as robust but they work consistently. We have a Cadillac ATS with CUE, while its very cool, everything is very delayed and buggy.

The Sync has gotten better from the first iteration but I still wouldn't call it overly reliable.
      06-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #32
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

@ Staszek,

Interesting, never got ANY problems with Ford's Sync, but I believe you.
Anyway, my Nokia works with other cars, but not with the bimmers. Funny thing, my wife's phone is better but sometimes is visible sometimes not, regardless of what are we doing. My experience with their bluetooth is Just awful...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I would if i-phone 12 and 28 G network connection was my passion instead of automobiles. I have no desire to drive a walking & talking cell phone on wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 06-06-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Otaku
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lemon Chicken

Release connected drive in Australia already...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
I did. Still doesn't explain all the other issues I had with it. Definitely not for me.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrewer4314
Wonder if I can update MY09?
Of course not, there will be no updating previous models. That way they can sell you a new car. Having bmw apps on my '12 135i was fun for for about 1 week. Now I only use the app to down load addresses to Nav because its easier, stream blue tooth music because its easier and Bluetooth phone. Have not connected my iPhone to dock in over a year. Still enjoy driving and hearing my BMW PE, I leave the gadget stuff for my iPad sitting on a plane. Waiting for word on weight reduction on any BMW model.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #37
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
They actually do sell sim cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
In Korea they still do not sell SIM cards to non-locals who are visiting South,Korea. With a country as developed as they are one would figure that they would at least have SIM cards for visitors and tourists but no.
They do sell simcards. You just need to have the appropriate handset with the right radio signal. You can get them at local wireless service store. I got them and did pre-paid phone, and I'm not local there and am U.S. citizen. It works like pretty much anywhere else, like in the U.S. and U.K. Though, it must be pre-paid and they still don't allow data... That's the problem..(check SK telecom/KTF)

BTW...how did my post result in SIM card? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
The nav in my 328i did exactly this to me once. My wife looked at me like I was a dummy...."I'm just following the nav!"
I can bring people to dozens of places where this happens with Google Maps, Bing Maps, TomTom, Garmin...

The technology isnt and can never be perfect. It's not an AI. Its a complex algorithm that puzzles through an incredible amount of data quickly by applying some sleight of hand to appear smarter than it is.

The reason the online services "seem" better is because they crowd source. So when problems like these get uncovered, people email it in and then there is (eventually) a *manual* correction to how the logic is working in that area.

BMW (and any other auto manufacturer) are buying this technology from providers.

At some point most cars will be perma-connected either through your own device or through the cost of the car somehow (or maybe a sub fee). If that were the case then these services could be either "Google Powered", "Bing Powered", or whatever, or other providers could provide the same type of service (where community updates are possible and happen dynamically)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #39
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
I agree with both of you guys... I think that other guy is right. Tomorrows buyers (young kids) *dont* give a shit about driving by and large. But the thing is, neither do *most* of todays drivers. Enthusiasts are always a small minority.

99% of BMW/Audi/Mercedes/etc drivers buy the marque because of styling, image, comfort, etc.

So these companies must adapt to keep selling cars. Tomorrows buyers want more technology integration more seamlessly, and so either they get it or they will go to a different manufacturer.

Government regulation is 100% likely to continue to drive stricter emission and safety standards also, so it is a given that hybrid powerplants, autonomous features, etc will become mandated.

But thats all called progress. There were still be cool things and the world isnt going to end.

Each progress wave many people *do* just "jump off" though. So I guess for some they are comfortable deciding that the E46, or maybe the E92, were the "last good ones!!"

Thats fine for them, although they should realize there are people older than them who feel *those* cars are an abomination and stopped caring after the 3.0CS.

Personally, I'd rather see what kind of cool stuff is coming next, but I understand the sentiment of getting disillusioned with it. That sentiment is as old as progress.

People shook their fists in anger at the first "horseless carriage" and lamented the loss of the bond between man and beast, yet you can still go horseback riding today right?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #40
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
People shook their fists in anger at the first "horseless carriage" and lamented the loss of the bond between man and beast, yet you can still go horseback riding today right?
Haha! Good point!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #41
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Here's a demo video of the iDrive Touch system:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #42
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

sans iDrive Touch, will the existing NBT user can get all but handwriting function?

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0