02-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #45
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Top Gear is mostly about entertainment these days. Look at last week's episode where they spent 1.5 hours on improving ambulances. And when they do drive a car, its usually a hypercar that costs millions that only a handful of people in the world can afford. That said, Jeremy's conclusion is pretty spot on - they M3/M4 represent the best of a conventional car while the i8 represents the paradigm shift.
      02-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #46
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopz View Post
Am I going crazy or did somebody else spot the problem with his i8 in some of the shots? Here's a screen grab for those who missed it.

Turbine wheel spokes should point backwards above the centre and forwards below and should certainly match on the same side. In this screen shot it looks like they've taken the front right and put it on the front left so the spokes are the wrong way round?

I'm guessing they damaged the front left somehow, maybe even a puncture, so for the shot they had to swap the tyres over thinking nobody would notice....well I did....where's my prize?
Those bastards!!
Bunch of boloney!
What crossed eyed producer didn't catch that!
Flooging to the editor that didn't cry wolf but waited tell the hens where eaten.
That sucks ball top gear - do the entire bloody segment again!
      02-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #47
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

I think if he had the choice again as to which of the two cars he would drive back it would be the M3
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #48
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Thanks for sharing!
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #49
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Just for balance, I personally wouldn't look twice at an M3. I'd never buy one. Good car, but nothing special. Just like almost every BMW made today.

The i8 on the other hand is something revolutionary.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #50
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Just for balance, I personally wouldn't look twice at an M3. I'd never buy one. Good car, but nothing special. Just like almost every BMW made today.

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #51
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
11.1 Gallons instead of the 7-something on that comes standard outside the US.
Just found out that all Euro cars are 9.24 gallons, which is 42 litres.... and 11.1 US gallons.

So, all the same.

Mine has the optional "large capacity fuel tank". I guess this is only 42 litres.

Clarkson had a small 7 gallon tank for some reason. Perhaps early press/dealer cars had those?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #52
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

I put 35 litres in mine at the weekend. It had 1/4 tank left when i filled up. So 42 litres sounds about right.

Those 35 litres carried me over 300 miles. Sometimes driving quite hard in sport mode and other times driving in pure electric in London.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #53
pcgz1wa
Rep
Drives: E28 535i, F10 535i GT

I dont understand??

Why did the I8 not charge properly at the station? I feel like Clarkson didn't cover this issue properly. He simply figured the charging ports were calibrated and had a laisser-faire attitude about the whole thing.

If charging is a real issue, this then must be scrutinized and fixed by BMW engineers. One can't overlook something like charging the hybrid at the station if you're paying over $150k for a vehicle.

I quite like the I8 and hope the charging issue gets resolved, even if the car only does 32 mpg. Thats 20 mpg more then my e28
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #54
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Am I going crazy or did somebody else spot the problem with his i8 in some of the shots? Here's a screen grab for those who missed it.

Turbine wheel spokes should point backwards above the centre and forwards below and should certainly match on the same side. In this screen shot it looks like they've taken the front right and put it on the front left so the spokes are the wrong way round?

I'm guessing they damaged the front left somehow, maybe even a puncture, so for the shot they had to swap the tyres over thinking nobody would notice....well I did....where's my prize?
Nope, I noticed this as well!! They must have damaged it like you said.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #55
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ignore Clarkson. He probably did it for effect, and it was more than likely scripted that way. Did you not spot he had over 50% charge in his batteries when he finished charging.

He may also have only stopped there briefly to film the segment.

At best he simply used the charger wrongly. At worst, it was deliberate.

Besides, will any of us really charge the i8 away from home, or perhaps work? I will only charge at home I expect.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #56
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH

If you don't look, how would you know. I think these new M3s and M4s are absolutely perfect, except for needing a touch more rubber on the rears. The quibbles I've had with power on my past M3s have been solved with the M4. Everything else looks, fits, feels, and works wonderfully. I feel like Jeremy and Chis Harris does about them. Perfect daily driver sports car. I love driving it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #57
scoopz
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 & E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH
Ignore Clarkson. He probably did it for effect, and it was more than likely scripted that way. Did you not spot he had over 50% charge in his batteries when he finished charging.

He may also have only stopped there briefly to film the segment.

At best he simply used the charger wrongly. At worst, it was deliberate.

Besides, will any of us really charge the i8 away from home, or perhaps work? I will only charge at home I expect.
Even when he's using the iPhone app it shows on the app there is a charging error so he would have known about it. Then if you look at the screen when he returns to the ecotricity charge point it clear States that the "charge launch time had expired". Now this comes about if you initiate a charge and don't connect in a reasonable time to the car and given that there was extra footage of him pretending to not know how to do it, it's more than likely it simply timed out and needed him to re-authenticate against his account and start the charge again.
Attached Images

Last edited by scoopz; 02-17-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #58
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
If you don't look, how would you know..

Primarily because I can't look past the ordinary, and boring visual look of the M3. Nothing wrong with it of course, but just does not appeal to me.

Like I said, a good car...but nothing special.

Next to the i8 on Top Gear, it looked like a VERY ordinary family saloon car. I honestly barely register them on the road. Bear in mind I am in the UK. Things may be different in the USA, where they may be rarer. They are very common here.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #59
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Even when he's using the iPhone app it shows on the app there is a charging error so he would have known about it. Then if you look at the screen when he returns to the ecotricity charge point it clear States that the "charge launch time had expired". Now this comes about if you initiate a charge and don't connect in a reasonable time to the car and given that there was extra footage of him pretending to not know how to do it, it's more than likely it simply timed out and needed him to re-authenticate against his account and start the charge again.

Yes, despite appearances, Jeremy is not stupid. He is a smart guy. So very likely deliberate and scripted.

No big deal though. He didn't make an issue of it, and even said that the i8 is a hybrid so it does not matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #60
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

any idea why comfort steering settings basically allowed him to drive it like you would want to on a race track, yet sport+ didnt? that really struck me as backwards. if i was at the track i dont think i would have even tried comfort in that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #61
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally
Top Gear is mostly about entertainment these days. Look at last week's episode where they spent 1.5 hours on improving ambulances. And when they do drive a car, its usually a hypercar that costs millions that only a handful of people in the world can afford. That said, Jeremy's conclusion is pretty spot on - they M3/M4 represent the best of a conventional car while the i8 represents the paradigm shift.
How funny that they addressed this in the show.

All car talk all the time would be boring.

I thought this was a great review of both vehicles and I agree with you its an outstanding summary.

I rather enjoyed the entire episode including will smith and his hot co star
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #62
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptz
any idea why comfort steering settings basically allowed him to drive it like you would want to on a race track, yet sport+ didnt? that really struck me as backwards. if i was at the track i dont think i would have even tried comfort in that scenario.
The sport settings could make the ride too firm or if the settings also adjust the throttle sensitivity I can really see this mucking things up.

Many 1M owners eschew the M BUTTON. I for one do not use it at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #63
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat
I think if he had the choice again as to which of the two cars he would drive back it would be the M3
Clarkson said exactly this at the end of the show . After spending more time in the i8 minor things annoyed him and made him change his selection back to the M3
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #64
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Clarkson said...
The i8 is actualy a laptop ?!?!
Thoughts about this ?...
It was an analogy. ( and a very good one)

Typewriter is to laptop as M3 is to I8.

Basic school work no ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #65
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Clarkson ruined it all at the end though, with a very negative summing up. Primarily in heavily criticising the fuel consumption of 31mpg on his test, as the most serious and biggest flaw with the i8.

Rather unfair, as he should also have said that a ICE car with similar performance driven as hard would have given perhaps 50-75% of that MPG.

Otherwise his other comments were fair enough though.
Had those thoughts too, but the truth is, I'd be more than satisfied with 31 mpg from combined city/suburban and highway driving. And after all, what other swoopy cars get mpg that's even close to that?

I am a bit disappointed that BMW have the temerity to suggest one might get 100+ mpg with the i8. I am because with both my non-hybrid BMWs I pretty well get what the EPA/BMW estimate is for the car:
  • City/suburban driving -- I get exactly what is estimated
  • Highway driving -- I get about a mile or two more per gallon than the estimate
Now could I possibly best the city estimate? Could I eke out another mpg on the highway? In both situations, I suspect I could, but I don't want to drive so timidly (?) to make that happen.

The thing that resonated most with me is the prospect that the way I'd drive an i8 might have me going to the gas station considerably more often than I do now. I don't have an i8, so I don't know, but the possibility that I could have to doesn't sit well with me for the i8 isn't a car I'd necessarily use to tool around town with. It's the sort of car I'd really want to get in a take a long road trip. Thirty-one mpg or not, having to stop twice as often as I do now (my 3er and 5er both get ~29-31 mpg on the highway) would annoy me. For the occasional trip to visit a local friend or do other "event" travel around my home town, it'd be fine.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #66
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
The thing that resonated most with me is the prospect that the way I'd drive an i8 .
I suspect that press/dealer cars had the small 7 gallon tanks that Jeremy had.

My car has the optional (free) large capacity tank, and I suspect all customer cars will have that.

Even 7 gallon was fine for my usage though.
Appreciate 0