BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-25-2019, 05:27 AM   #1
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

How to retrofit the new i8 front splitters on your i8

After seeing some photos of BMW i8's with the little front splitters on them, I did some research and found that this is an option offered on later model i8's from the factory. RealOEM had the part numbers listed as a retrofit that can be purchased and installed on BMW i8's like my 2015. After acquiring the parts and creating a How To video, it was very obvious that these front splitters are aesthetic and do not provide the downforce that a typical splitter would. The bumper curves upward at the front, so wind would be diverted down by these splitters, but I decided to install them and I like the aesthetic. I created the below video with the steps on how to acquire and install the parts.

Here's the REALOEM link to the retrofit package:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4936

Part numbers:

The Covers (that install between the bumper and tire) are only required up to models produced from 2014 to 02/18, according to BMW. See the VIN plate inside your door jam and it will show the month/year your car was produced. However, I believe that it won't be necessary to swap these parts out at all, if you car has the old style Covers.
Cover, bottom left (1 required): 51757499363
Cover, bottom right (1 required): 51757499364

The Front Splitters are the visible pieces that you can see extended from the bottom of the bumper and are ABS plastic:
Front Splitter, left (1 required): 51117947113
Front Splitter, right (1 required): 51117947114

Expanding rivets (8 required, 4 per splitter) to attach the splitter to the bumper: 51118174185

Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1062.00