Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery
Pebble, Samsung, LG, and Motorola have had smart watches for 1-2 years now.

Apple finally gets around to finally releasing another "me too" product and its like the world has stopped turning (again)...

Fanboys Unite!

Lots of support for Linux and Android in Germany. Just not from BMW... Interesting...
It's been that way for years YO!

No snap in adapters for android phones right ?

Perhaps you have seen iPhones pictured in ads for apps for the i8, i3 and other vehicles.

What's the most popular selling phone in the Asian markets that Bmw is expanding and having record sales in ?

Guess you now know what phone BMW is in bed with.

Move along now. Nothing for you to see here.
If so, why hasn't BMW figured out how to fully interface with the iPhone and have my messages display in my iDrive? Really frustrating I can't use the car's full functionality.
I have this feature in my 11.5

Go into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone, tap the i next to your bmw's Bluetooth name, then make sure "show notifications" is switched on
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Rock M4
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / X1 2014 28i Sport L

The main issue with this apple gadget is a new distraction for the driver...after the phone and the texting behavior while driving, now the driver will be distracted with this new electronic useless device...and by the way have you ever seen a watch with an 18 hours battery under normal use...wow this is a revolution a watch that can't even give you 24 h time...
      03-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #25
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouchdy335i
The main issue with this apple gadget is a new distraction for the driver...after the phone and the texting behavior while driving, now the driver will be distracted with this new electronic useless device...and by the way have you ever seen a watch with an 18 hours battery under normal use...wow this is a revolution a watch that can't even give you 24 h time...
+1

The features are really cool, but really? a watch that can only tell time 18 out of the 24 hours of your day, under "normal use" wtf does "normal use" mean anyways!?! Last time I checked my phone and laptop last about 1/2 of what the manufacture stated it would under "normal use"... so 9 hours with my watch and it's done? I mean I guess that's okay, if I was only awake for work. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #26
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Have you tried it when you're more than .6 miles away? Seems BMW has limited the tracking available on BMW remote (non i cars) to that for "privacy reasons," but I want to be able to track the cars.. Don't think I've heard of anything in iDrive for the non-i's, but maybe I'll take a look.
In the i8 it works when you are miles away from your car. I am sorry if I did not make that clear in my recent post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
The i8 app lets you know where it is when you're home and it isn't.

(When I first got the car I lent it to the dealer for a few days to display in the showroom. I could tell when the dealer drove the car a few doors down to its Mini store to have the car detailed.)
That function is disenabled in my other 3 BMWs however.
Thanks, missed that post.. I wonder if there's a way to unlock it in coding somewhere in the car or the app.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 02:56 AM   #27
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Battery only lasts 3 hours if you use as a phone! It is a joke at that price
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 03:36 AM   #28
MrBens
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i3

A rotor recharging the battery would be appropriate on a watch like this!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #29
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Keep drinking the Kool-aide... Most of the other smart watches are NOT a "smaller smartphone". I have a Pebble, a Sony, and two of the Samsung Gear variants and none of them have standalone phone capabilities... They all communicate to an upstream device via WiFi or BlueTooth... The second generation Samsung Gear watch is very nice indeed...

..so yes - its is a "me too" device...

(...and many Chinese companies HAVE been manufacturing standalone phone watches for 4-5 years now... Just go to DealExtreme or LightInTheBox to see a whole bunch... Made in China - just like Apple products!)

I'm sure that when Apple releases its "Google Glass" competitor (2 years later), that too will be the best thing since sliced bread...
It's not a me too product, because it has NEW UI paradigms like digital crown and taptic engine. Also, if you followed the industry like we do, you would know that the iPad Nano of 5 years ago has actually started this trend. Companies like Samsung actually released these incredibly bad Samsung Gear products just because they knew Apple was developing a watch and they wanted to steel the thunder.. So that 'regular folks' like yourself would think that they came up with the idea first.
And yes, when Apple releases a Google Glass competitor (if it happens) it will be the best thing, because it won't be a dorky, ugly and limited demo product, it will look like an actual stylish pair of glasses, and it will be easier to use. Apple wouldn't release until it's ready for actual use. I have a pair of Google glasses btw, for software development reasons... I never wear it in public.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #30
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Keep drinking the Kool-aide... Most of the other smart watches are NOT a "smaller smartphone". I have a Pebble, a Sony, and two of the Samsung Gear variants and none of them have standalone phone capabilities... They all communicate to an upstream device via WiFi or BlueTooth... The second generation Samsung Gear watch is very nice indeed...

..so yes - its is a "me too" device...

(...and many Chinese companies HAVE been manufacturing standalone phone watches for 4-5 years now... Just go to DealExtreme or LightInTheBox to see a whole bunch... Made in China - just like Apple products!)

I'm sure that when Apple releases its "Google Glass" competitor (2 years later), that too will be the best thing since sliced bread...
If were going to play the "me to" game then almost every product in the mobile space today is a "me to" of the original iPhone... So Apple has been driving the bus since 2007 and everyone else has been along for the ride scrapping up just a small percentage of the mobile profits even with higher market share. Apple Sucks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #31
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Like other BMW software- buggy and will work when it wants to
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #32
GJR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
It's not a me too product, because it has NEW UI paradigms like digital crown and taptic engine. Also, if you followed the industry like we do, you would know that the iPad Nano of 5 years ago has actually started this trend. Companies like Samsung actually released these incredibly bad Samsung Gear products just because they knew Apple was developing a watch and they wanted to steel the thunder.. So that 'regular folks' like yourself would think that they came up with the idea first.
And yes, when Apple releases a Google Glass competitor (if it happens) it will be the best thing, because it won't be a dorky, ugly and limited demo product, it will look like an actual stylish pair of glasses, and it will be easier to use. Apple wouldn't release until it's ready for actual use. I have a pair of Google glasses btw, for software development reasons... I never wear it in public.
You're right on target, and like a previous post said, people like to bash the leader. When Apple was considered an underdog, they were everyone's darling. Apple does not always aim to be the first to do something. They want to be the best. I wish BMW would learn that lesson.
      03-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #33
kunal_d
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I'm in that business, and I can tell you that Apple demographics is richer, more tech oriented, way more profitable. I'm also pretty sure that at least 80% of BMW customers are in Apple ecosystem.

Also, this is not a me too product, this is more like a reimagination type of thing. Like iPhone, iPad, iPod so on so forth. Unlike Android counterparts, it has watch specific UI design, rather than being a smaller smartphone. And obviously it will sell at least a few dozen times more than all smart watches ever sold in total, since it has a strong brand, it's beautiful, it's desirable, not a geeky smartphone on the wrist type of thing.
Yeah but $17K for a watch with maybe $500 worth of gold in it. What a joke. I'm a fan of Apple products, but this is robbery. The people who actually shell out that cash (and there will be many) on a device that will be outdated in a few years need to re-evaluate their thought process as it's just plain stupidity. There just aren't any words for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #34
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_d View Post
Yeah but $17K for a watch with maybe $500 worth of gold in it. What a joke. I'm a fan of Apple products, but this is robbery. The people who actually shell out that cash (and there will be many) on a device that will be outdated in a few years need to re-evaluate their thought process as it's just plain stupidity. There just aren't any words for it.
You are thinking in terms of what YOU would and would not buy. However, you are not the target audience for the Gold Edition watches. I hang around the R8 forum a lot. A lot of people there have multiple exotics. Some are on their 3rd or 4th R8. These folks change/add cars every couple of yrs, losing $30k or more in deprecation EVERY YEAR. That's money just GONE. Down the toilet. For essentially toys. Let that sink in for a minute. These are the folks that don't even blink spending thousands on carbon fiber cosmetic bits. If they want a $10k watch, they'll just buy it. Whether the technology in it will be outdated in a few years matters not at all.

Think of it another way. If you like a $100 toy, you would probably just buy it and not think about it too hard. Now multiply both the cost of the toy and your income by 100. It's like that.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #35
dnadeau13
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego Blue 335i Sedan

Interesting... at CES, I summoned a self-driving i3 with a Samsung Gear watch.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #36
ssstraub
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_d View Post
"maybe $500 worth of gold" Eh it's not plated, dude. It's solid fricken gold. Gold is over $1,000 per OUNCE! It's definitely not $10k of gold in one of those cases, but $2-3k is not out of the question.

I have zero interest in wearing a gold watch at any price, but it's not "robbery". This is actually closer in price to the actual "value" than most jewelry. Have you ever bought a diamond? Want to talk about robbery...

Last edited by ssstraub; 03-21-2015 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #37
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The value of diamonds is enhanced by perceived scarcity. But diamonds are plentiful and scarcity is an illusion created by DeBeers.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #38
kunal_d
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstraub View Post
"maybe $500 worth of gold" Eh it's not plated, dude. It's solid fricken gold. Gold is over $1,000 per OUNCE! It's definitely not $10k of gold in one of those cases, but $2-3k is not out of the question.

I have zero interest in wearing a gold watch at any price, but it's not "robbery". This is actually closer in price to the actual "value" than most jewelry. Have you ever bought a diamond? Want to talk about robbery...
Closer to CDN $1300 per oz actually, and that's for 24K. So, rumour has it, the watch will have about 55 grams of solid gold, worth about $1500. Great deal.
Appreciate 0