Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #23
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
As an i4 owner, this sounds like you've never actually driven one.
no sir will eventually drive one at some point but all the points have listed EV just can't compare 🤷🏼‍♀️
      12-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #24
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffode View Post
Of course 🤔, can't really compare to an M car in terms of fun 🤔. But compared to a 330i with the most boring 4 cylinder sound and turbo lag 🤔, give me an electric powertrain 🤔 instead.
agree with u about a boring 4 cylinder that u can't make sound good replacing a daily driver with EV sure but sports car 🤔 dono am with the guy that said it's an agenda they make no sense at the moment until the battery are much much better or couple years down the road when we have wireless electricity again and scrap the 🔋 all together
      12-19-2022, 03:49 PM   #25
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Quote:
Originally Posted by scLA View Post
That is not correct. BMW sells the HUD as optional with the description “curved screen with HUD” but all i4s and all iDrive8 cars have the curved screens
They are probably confused by the HUD with curved display option that was offered at one point for $1k. I didn't really look into the e40 so that confused me to.
Appreciate 1
scLA183.50
      12-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #26
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Very cool, it seems to be a very nice effort from BMW, especially considering it's not a 100% dedicated platform but from the CLAR that was built for both ICE/BEV's. The NeuKlasse will simply be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #27
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Great product- but in the US- a huge wait.

Also- Car & Driver didn’t explain what volt the charge is on the i4 and if it’s competitive to Tesla. Close to 250kw speed to charge like the Model 3? Most of us will be charging during the day at stations if we want to use the car.
I don’t think most people will charge it during the day at a public station.

I think most people will charge it at home overnight…most of the time.
Appreciate 3
cruzer6661237.00
EdM54066.00
      12-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #28
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm calling major BS with this one. Every single review has said the i4 is fine but isn't particularly fun outside of a straight line and is no replacement for the M340 let alone the M3. It's not even on a proper EV chassis, so it weighs as much if not more than a BMW X5. There's no reason why the i4 should be on this list when the G20/G80 are missing.

Print "journalism" is struggling for dollars over the past decade, so they resort to paid advertising masquerading as awards. Motor Trend especially has been bought and paid for as of late. I expected better of C&D, whom I'd tended to trust a lot more over the years. Thankfully Savagegeese, Throttle House, R&T, and some others tend to call it like it is.
What do you call a "proper EV chassis"?
The i4 is built on a chasis that was designed to house EV, hybrid, and ICE.

Heavy doesn't mean absent performance. A M5 is a heavy car 4400lbs, but nobody ever talks about how porky it is.

I owned an E30 M3, E36 M3, near FBO E90 335i. Currently own an X5 and a Mini CooperS.
I have driven 1980's M6, 1980's Dinan prepped 635i Turbo, E39 M5, E60 M5, E46 M3, E90 M3, Fxx 3 series, current M3/M4 and current M5 AWD with slush box.

Every one of those cars is different and I liked for different reasons. I will say that after driving the current M3/M4 I liked the M50 better. That is the reason I have one on order.
While the M cars are visceral, the M50 has acceleration that is purely addictive.
I could have bought any M car I liked but for the value as an every day driver the M50 won hands down.

C&D didn't say this was an objective evaluation. The pretty much state that is based on the score that they composite after driving the cars. That being said I can see how they came to their conclusion because I came to a similar conclusion that's going to cost me close to $90k with tax and license.

If you don't like the car, nobody is holding a gun to your head to make you buy it.
      12-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #29
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Plenty of reviewers have said it is not as sporting as an M3/M4, as it was not intended to be. But many have said it is definitely the superior car to the M340i. You have to remember, this "pig" still pulls .91 lateral G, and has out braked the M3/M4 in 100-0 tests.
Having owned both the M340 and the i4 M50 I can attest that the i4 M50 handles very similarily as well as the M50 puts my previous M340 to shame in all aspects that matter. The instant torque in the M50 is extremely addicting, by the time the M340i downshifts, revs up and charges that turbo, the i4 M50 is gone and you can’t even read the license plate anymore.

The need to down EV’s is very explainable though, I suspect similar conversations people holding on to their horse-powered carriages were having back in the day. Humans are resistant to change and this is no different.
Appreciate 2
EdM54066.00
Rich9600740.50
      12-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #30
jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
puff, puff, puff, puff
That's Master Puff to you.
Appreciate 1
G30 B581548.00
      12-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I liked this from the written review.
"As for EV rivals, it makes the Tesla Model 3 and Model S, in particular, look shockingly crude. "

But an i4 M60? In all seriousness, why? Just because?

The M50 is more than enough car to lose your license. I doubt they do an M60. I think you might see an i5 M60. BMW marketing probably won't allow it and they'll wait to up the power for a M version in 3+ years. The M50 is already cannibalizing sales from the M3/M4
I liked that part of the article too.
I'd get the M60 for 4 separate motors and YOLO.

100 HP I could lose my license easily. It'd just be more fun with 800 HP. My last ticket was in the FRS, with 160 WHP and ~2750 lbs + my fat ass.

Quote:
I'm calling major BS with this one. Every single review has said the i4 is fine but isn't particularly fun outside of a straight line and is no replacement for the M340 let alone the M3. It's not even on a proper EV chassis, so it weighs as much if not more than a BMW X5. There's no reason why the i4 should be on this list when the G20/G80 are missing.

Print "journalism" is struggling for dollars over the past decade, so they resort to paid advertising masquerading as awards. Motor Trend especially has been bought and paid for as of late. I expected better of C&D, whom I'd tended to trust a lot more over the years. Thankfully Savagegeese, Throttle House, R&T, and some others tend to call it like it is.
I don't love CD, but they're the least corrupt of the big mags. I own an FRS, an I-Pace, a Model Y with Ohlins, and an M50. The M50 is the pick of the litter as long as I don't have to go offroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Plenty of reviewers have said it is not as sporting as an M3/M4, as it was not intended to be. But many have said it is definitely the superior car to the M340i. You have to remember, this "pig" still pulls .91 lateral G, and has out braked the M3/M4 in 100-0 tests.
The 340i is a yawn in a yawn in a yawn. Yawnception. I'd rather drive a Prius. And the later is .97 with the Pirelli Rosso, which means sticker will do better... and wider will do better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT888 View Post
until the battery are much much better or couple years down the road when we have wireless electricity again and scrap the 🔋 all together
Wireless is a fantasy in our lifetimes, and batteries are fine. If I can beat on the car and do 120 miles in a day, I'm all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Very cool, it seems to be a very nice effort from BMW, especially considering it's not a 100% dedicated platform but from the CLAR that was built for both ICE/BEV's. The NeuKlasse will simply be amazing.
Dedicated only matters so much. The devil is in the details, and BMW FUCKING NAILED THE DETAILS with the i4 M50. Shockingly so, did they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refujeet View Post
I don’t think most people will charge it during the day at a public station.
I think most people will charge it at home overnight…most of the time.
You, sir, are aware of reality. Congrats.

Quote:
Heavy doesn't mean absent performance. A M5 is a heavy car 4400lbs, but nobody ever talks about how porky it is.
Yes yes yes... but it is a porky car. That's why I call mine Jek Tono.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #32
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Great product- but in the US- a huge wait.

Also- Car & Driver didn’t explain what volt the charge is on the i4 and if it’s competitive to Tesla. Close to 250kw speed to charge like the Model 3? Most of us will be charging during the day at stations if we want to use the car.
??? really? won't most of us be charging at home?
      12-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #33
Private First Class
Rep

If you can afford a BMW, you cannot afford a garage. Clearly.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 10:30 PM   #34
paulbazoV2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW IX X50

Quote:

I know what you mean, I used to think the same, but after I traded my 2020 M340 for an I4, I changed my mind, the I4 is great.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #35
bobkalka
bkalka
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i - Frozen Arctic

Seriously?

I'm fascinated by how many posts here there are from folks who are bashing - instead of praising - this Bimmer being named 10best due to either ignorance, relying on others opinions, and/or a childish 'EVs suck' mentality. None who have actually driven it for any amount of time.

I've had a half-dozen BMWs, am currently 5 months and 5500 miles into an i4 M50, and am stunned by how dynamic and FUN this vehicle is. Each of the 3 modes has its own character, all which are spot-on, and I seriously can't get enough of driving it.

And looking at it. Including the aggressive front end.

Like probably many of you, I've probably read every published written and video review out there, especially during my 13 months between preorder to delivery, and continuously read critiques about it a) not being a bespoke EV platform, b) having soft steering, c) a relatively low max range, d) relatively weak charger network, e) a goofy soundtrack, f) too much weight, g) no frunk, h) being hard to get in/out of back seats, and even i) not being birthed by Elon, so it's not cool enough.

Well, when you drive this vehicle for longer than a test drive, you realize that none of these things matter.

a) is an irrelevant point.
b) because I'm not a track driver, the steering is fine...it is tight and takes me where i want it to confidently.
c) is negated by the fact that Tesla grossly overstates its range, while BMW understates it if you drive it reasonably. I've taken it on 5-hour drives and the range is fine.
d) has not been an issue yet, i've taken long-haul trips that required use of both EA and other chargers, and had zero problems finding an available charger (all over Texas)
e) turn it off if you don't like it. I snicker at some of those reviews that apparently weren't aware that was an option.
f) that weight is gorgeous - all on the bottom, planting this car hyper-confidently...unless you're offended by understeer trying to take a relatively sharp curve at 80, which I only tried to do once (by mistake)
g) completely irrelevant. And I constantly lug guitars, amps and even a full PA around the incredibly accessible trunk..I certainly don't miss any 'frunk'
h) is kinda true, but I almost never have backseat passengers
i) is a claim that hasn't aged well, given Elon's current cosmic meltdown

The more you drive it, the better it is. At a surprisingly aggressive price. Notice how C&D's rating for the car went up from 9/10 to 10/10 from 2022 to 2023 despite it being essentially the same vehicle...it's grown on them too.

Well done, BMW engineering.
Attached Images

EdM54066.00
falconey483.00
      12-19-2022, 11:05 PM   #36
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Interesting article, but i guess it depends on what you look for in a sports car, i own the i4 m50 been driving in now sens march this year and now its winter time here in Sweden will be leaving a proper review on owning the car around February.

I wouldn't call the i4 a "sports car" if we look at what we define a sports car to be by old standards, but standards changes over time, so in time this might be the new standard of sports cars.

But there is one huge drawback so far on EVs and Cars in general as of late, but it affects EVs the most and that is the weight, i have not used the car on track but a lot of people have and the weight keeps coming up as an factor, and those times that i push the car on the curvy roads around my area where i live, the weight is a bit scary unless you feel completely confident in what you do.

But at the same time i find a lot of the new cars top heavy instead and SUVs being used like Sports cars without them rolling over all the time, so this might be more of "shit behind the wheel issue"at the moment rather then the car having an issue in it self.

If you would compare the i4 to the M2 then no it ain't a sports car to say the least but if you compare it to other cars in its class among the grand tourers out there then it might be among the best in the bunch.

But i wouldn't call the M2 a sports car when you compared it to something like an proper track weapon like a BAC Mono, Ariel Atom 4 or a Lotus Evora GT or hell even the Toyota GR Yaris might be more fun around a track but again depends on what you look for in a sports cars and by what standards you define a sports car to be.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 1
Rich9600740.50
      12-19-2022, 11:25 PM   #37
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
??? really? won't most of us be charging at home?
This was my initial thought.. If I had an electric car Id want to just charge it at home.

I live in an area riddled with electric cars. They are everywhere, in every parking lot, at every stop light. I was having lunch the other day and watched 2 IX's waiting in line to charge at a charging area with 3 spots. I was able to order, eat my food, and leave, before any car at the charge had rotated. Both IX's still had people parked in the middle of the lot waiting in line blocking traffic.

Had me asking why? Why not go to a different charge spot? This area has plenty right? Why not charge at home? At work? So many questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:38 PM   #38
M8CompSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Competion Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Having owned both the M340 and the i4 M50 I can attest that the i4 M50 handles very similarily as well as the M50 puts my previous M340 to shame in all aspects that matter. The instant torque in the M50 is extremely addicting, by the time the M340i downshifts, revs up and charges that turbo, the i4 M50 is gone and you can’t even read the license plate anymore.

The need to down EV’s is very explainable though, I suspect similar conversations people holding on to their horse-powered carriages were having back in the day. Humans are resistant to change and this is no different.
I accept EVs will control the market eventually and that’s why even at 32, I’m doing my best to own as many ICE, especially V8s before they’re gone. Electric is the future, but I just love the sound of a V8. I’m sure I’ll get over that eventually, but enjoying the last few years we got.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:44 PM   #39
M8CompSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
This was my initial thought.. If I had an electric car Id want to just charge it at home.

I live in an area riddled with electric cars. They are everywhere, in every parking lot, at every stop light. I was having lunch the other day and watched 2 IX's waiting in line to charge at a charging area with 3 spots. I was able to order, eat my food, and leave, before any car at the charge had rotated. Both IX's still had people parked in the middle of the lot waiting in line blocking traffic.

Had me asking why? Why not go to a different charge spot? This area has plenty right? Why not charge at home? At work? So many questions.
I live in Irvine CA. This city loves electric cars, especially model 3’s. They are like the Accord and Camrys of our city.
Appreciate 1
sikotic488.00
      12-19-2022, 11:52 PM   #40
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
I live in Irvine CA. This city loves electric cars, especially model 3’s. They are like the accord and and Camrys of our city.
In the Bay Area, Tesla's are like roaches and ants.

If you gave me one, I'd sell it.
      12-20-2022, 12:08 AM   #41
M8CompSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In the Bay Area, Tesla's are like roaches and ants.

If you gave me one, I'd sell it.
Yeah we get people coming and going from the Bay Area here all the time. Lots of tech / game developers in our city too.

Same. They are everywhere. Exteriors never excited me. Don’t even get me started on the interiors and I’m going to be forced to drive one eventually, so why do it when I have choice?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 01:46 AM   #42
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69 View Post
BMW doesn't make an ICE I'd even consider anymore. I want an i4 M60.
I’m curious, does any brand make one you would consider?

Of course money has to pay its part because if you say the Rimac and it’s out of your budget then those cars can’t be included.

Everyone I know who has actually made to switch to EV love it, nothing and I mean nothing comes close to delivering the same silky smooth drivetrain and instant torque and this is me coming out of an M5 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:34 AM   #43
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

I haven't had my i50 2 months yet, and I already have 3000 miles on it. And thats with only one trip over 100 miles. Its that enjoyable to drive. I would be making trips to Vegas every month but I'm trying to keep the mileage down!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
pharding308.00
falconey483.00
      12-20-2022, 07:11 AM   #44
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Very cool!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)