Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Buckle up, kids and/or parents... Your tuition/tax burden is gonna be MASSIVE.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

That's like $4 USD.
Appreciate 4
UncleWede18016.00
bosstones1154.00
David0ff1059.00
      08-31-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
seedyrom
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M240i, X3 20i, 2002, 2002tii

That's pretty good.

As someone who deals with Hewlett Packard Enterprises and UXC companies, the name changes in their split and mergers (e.g. from HP, to HPe, to DXC), there have been a number of email ls from random people with account name and account payment changes/updates.

If you found a company like that and made a convincing email, you could easily spam the top 500 companies and sucker at least a few AP departments to make the changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I read about a student getting over $1M in financial aid by mistake. She was suppose to get $108 per month. She spent about $65K of it. At least she knows how to pay it back since she's an accounting student.
      09-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
That's like $4 USD.
The last count shows they have 19,606 students, and at 11.8M per student, it's theoretically $91.80 CAD, or $73.81 USD... However, knowing how universities work, they would say something like "Due to recent administrative changes and unforeseen , your tuition will be indefinitely increased by $500 per semester, s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s̶!̶!̶!̶ and we apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

We get trained on this week after week. But even so, I fell for a phishing scam a few months ago at work. I was waiting for a document from legal, and I got an email from someone in legal. I assumed it was the document I was waiting for, and double clicked on the PDF. Oops! It looked 100% legitimate. The email address, the name, it all checked out. There was literally no way I could have seen it was a phishing scam. What a mess that was.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
We get trained on this week after week. But even so, I fell for a phishing scam a few months ago at work. I was waiting for a document from legal, and I got an email from someone in legal. I assumed it was the document I was waiting for, and double clicked on the PDF. Oops! It looked 100% legitimate. The email address, the name, it all checked out. There was literally no way I could have seen it was a phishing scam. What a mess that was.
That's kinda terrifying
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
That's kinda terrifying
I think that's what the scammer are banking on though. That for one person in the company, it seems legit enough that they don't think twice about. If I wasn't waiting on something from legal, I would have never clicked on it. But I just happened to be, and when you're busy at work trying to get everything done, you're probably not as diligent as you're supposed to be. But even with training, I still fell for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I think that's what the scammer are banking on though. That for one person in the company, it seems legit enough that they don't think twice about. If I wasn't waiting on something from legal, I would have never clicked on it. But I just happened to be, and when you're busy at work trying to get everything done, you're probably not as diligent as you're supposed to be. But even with training, I still fell for it.
I would be concern your company allowed someone to phishing an internal email address. There are systems that prevent an email which obviously originate outside the company to mimic the company email addresses. there is a real simple check, check the sending IP address against the company Domain Name server.

I personally have seen where someone attempts to say they work for a company and request a bank account change for payments. One of our idiot suppliers, and this guy was told to stop using Gmail as his work email got scammed and someone got into his gmail account and began sending emails to all his customers requesting the customers to change the bank where payments are sent to. Luck for him we knew it was a scam since we do not allow email notices for payment changes they suppliers has to send the request certified mail on a company letterhead.

We also had a supplier who had an employee stealing the checks we sent for payment and deposit them in to various accounts and this went on for over a year before the company figured out what was going on. This company for a long time refuse electronic payment they liked check, well that stopped after them lost all those payments.
Appreciate 0