Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post
To ease the tension here

Is anyone trading oil? I did mention oil price to go back around $40 p/b after hitting $20s

Ride the uwti train it should go to mid $40s and then might see a drop back to 30s 2nd to 3rd quarter...then it will go up up up
Ive had USO, UWTI, and COP for a few weeks now. Up about 30%
I heard UWTI is having a reverse split next monday

Not that it changes anything but incase you saw prices jump to $20s and thought you made a $million
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #5612
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Not that it changes anything but incase you saw prices jump to $20s and thought you made a $million
Good to know. That would have been a letdown lol
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #5613
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
Timing wasn't right but in the end the mkt will fix it for me...I will be off by a week most likely...is that really a big deal in the big scheme of things.?..,.if you think so you are trading very short term....getting worked up for a 30pt SPX day?...really?...
You were wrong the first time and now you say you were just off a week. Looks like you are going to be wrong again. It's up 200 points today alone.

If you keep saying things are going to go down, you'll eventually be right. You are like my hedge fund friends. Very pessimistic and always looking at things in a very bias way as if they are going to go down and crash and burn. Eventually you'll be right, but hopefully this humbles you a bit because you were dead wrong on your calls. The market has a way of humbling people. I'm certainly no expert on it, but I just made the exact opposite call from you to prove a point and I turned out to be right.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #5614
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol...I noticed you guys disappeared when I was right too....

Timing wasn't right but in the end the mkt will fix it for me...I will be off by a week most likely...is that really a big deal in the big scheme of things.?..,.if you think so you are trading very short term....getting worked up for a 30pt SPX day?...really?...

I will do roll call in 2 weeks ok...I tell you what, if we make new all time highs before we hit 1700's on SPX I will never post on this thread ever again and we can close it down ok?...thats a promise....

But if we close into the 1700's within the month(I will guess 2-3 weeks from now), you guys either leave or stfu for at least a week ok?....

And yes I still think we see 1200 SPX a year from now...might be a bold statement but at least I will take a stand and make some calls based on my own charts and theories rather than spew empty criticisms(still not a single call).

See you guys in 2 weeks.
tagged...........see you then
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #5615
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM
Quote:

Good to know. That would have been a letdown lol
Gold!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #5616
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you want to concede defeat now? The market is up another 100+ points today. At this rate there is no way your call can even come close, and as a matter of fact the exact opposite has happened from what you predicted. Not only were you wrong/off, but you were so far off it's not even funny. The exact opposite of what you said would happen, happened.

I hope you did not lose too much money on this. I have empathy.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #5617
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Dawn, why be a dick about it???
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #5618
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not being a dick, just speaking directly. I said I have empathy. Dicks don't have empathy

This guy was smug early on in the thread about his predictions and it's also dangerous to give stock advice. If anyone had listened to him they would have lost their ass. It's dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #5619
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I think it is highly unlikely anyone can reliably tell us when the stock market will go up or down. I don't blame the guy above. If anyone makes a prediction of up or down, some will be right and some will be wrong but no one will be right all of the time.

Maybe better luck doing a lot of research on a specific company or working for a specific company (insider trading info) but I have most of my money in index funds because after looking at the track records of managed funds and with only about 20% of them beating the market (after their expenses), even with there big budgets, looking at everything available, and hiring some of the best people, it seems really unlikely to come out ahead.
      03-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #5620
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. This is Mact's thread. If you don't like what he says, feel free to exit.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #5621
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

prepare to go short this week! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #5622
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I think it is highly unlikely anyone can reliably tell us when the stock market will go up or down. I don't blame the guy above. If anyone makes a prediction of up or down, some will be right and some will be wrong but no one will be right all of the time.

Maybe better luck doing a lot of research on a specific company or working for a specific company (insider trading info) but I have most of my money in index funds because after looking at the track records of managed funds and with only about 20% of them beating the market (after their expenses), even with there big budgets, looking at everything available, and hiring some of the best people, it seems really unlikely to come out ahead.
I'm glad to see another reasonable person in this thread. Timing the ups/downs of the market is not what will lead to long term gains....in fact, attemtping to accurately time the market often leads to losses. What drives long run performance is going to be properly allocated/diversified investments given an individuals risk tolerance. That, along with paying attention to fees.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #5623
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
I'm glad to see another reasonable person in this thread. Timing the ups/downs of the market is not what will lead to long term gains....in fact, attemtping to accurately time the market often leads to losses. What drives long run performance is going to be properly allocated/diversified investments given an individuals risk tolerance. That, along with paying attention to fees.
Thanks. The "no one else can do it but I can" mentality seems like a lot of work when research shows that you are probably better off doing nothing day to day. This is one of the few cases where doing nothing has it advantages.
      03-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #5624
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Thanks. The "no one else can do it but I can" mentality seems like a lot of work when research shows that you are probably better off doing nothing day to day. This is one of the few cases where doing nothing has it advantages.
Right. Which is why low cost index funds are the way to go. I've been on forums and specifically investing forums for many years and pretty much every time someone posts about their prediction of the market going up or down, they are usually wrong and they get burned. Data shows that timing the market never works yet people still try to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #5625
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I will do roll call in 2 weeks ok...I tell you what, if we make new all time highs before we hit 1700's on SPX I will never post on this thread ever again and we can close it down ok?...thats a promise....

But if we close into the 1700's within the month(I will guess 2-3 weeks from now), you guys either leave or stfu for at least a week ok?....

And yes I still think we see 1200 SPX a year from now...might be a bold statement but at least I will take a stand and make some calls based on my own charts and theories rather than spew empty criticisms(still not a single call).

See you guys in 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #5626
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Well, tomorrow will mark two weeks. That would be one hell of a fall in a single day to hit his 1700 target...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #5627
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn View Post
Well, tomorrow will mark two weeks. That would be one hell of a fall in a single day to hit his 1700 target...
Market isn't looking too good. Rising wedge is narrowing and the RSI is in overbought territory for the first time all year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:26 AM   #5628
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Re: timing the market

From I Will Teach You To Be Rich

Quote:
Helpburn Capital studied the performance of the S& P 500 from 1983 to 2003, during which time the annualized return of the stock market was 10.01 percent. They noted something amazing: During that twenty-year period, if you missed the best twenty days of investing (the days where the stock market gained the most points), your return would have dropped from 10.01 percent to 5.03 percent. And if you missed the best forty days of investing, your returns would equal only 1.6 percent— a pitiful payback on your money. Unfortunately, we can’t know the best investing days ahead of time. The only long-term solution is to invest regularly, putting as much money as possible into low-cost, diversified funds, even in an economic downturn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by How to Engineer a Perfect Stock-Picking Record
Since we know it’s almost impossible to beat the market over the long term, let’s turn to probability and luck to explain why some funds seem irresistibly compelling. Although a fund manager might be lucky for one, two, or even three years, it’s mathematically unlikely he’ll continue beating the market. To examine probability theory, let’s take a simple example of an unscrupulous scammer who wants to sell his financial services to some naive investors. He e-mails 10,000 people, half of whom are told that Stock A will go up, the other half Stock B. “This is just a freebie e-mail to demonstrate my insider knowledge,” he might say. After a couple of weeks, he notices that Stock A has indeed gone up by chance. He eliminates the Stock B group and focuses on the Stock A group, e-mailing them an “I told you so” e-mail. This time, he splits the mailing in half again. Twenty-five hundred people are told about Stock C and 2,500 are told about Stock D. If either C or D goes up, on the next cycle, at least 1,250 people will have seen him pick two stocks successfully. And each cycle will make the recipients increasingly awed by his “ability.”
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #5629
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Market isn't looking too good. Rising wedge is narrowing and the RSI is in overbought territory for the first time all year.

.... Here we go again. Someone else who thinks they can predict the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #5630
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333

See you guys in 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #5631
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m305 View Post
.... Here we go again. Someone else who thinks they can predict the market.
Read the title bro. It's called Technical analysis...

Get out of this thread if you aren't adding anything productive in this thread. All you do is just whine about people's opinions..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #5632
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Get out of this thread if you aren't adding anything productive in this thread. All you do is just whine about people's opinions..
I haven't seen any whining. Just holding people accountable. I posted this on Feb 17th. Looks like my technical analysis was spot on even without posting a fancy chart. Show me the chart from Feb 17th to now. I'd like to see if it went up or down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333
Crystal ball says this now, we should sell off abit as we are over bought on VST basis but this will be very short lived...then we head up again to near 1950-70(I take off my long hedges at this point)...then the bear re-emerges and we see some strong selling again making new lows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m305 on Feb 17th View Post
I disagree. I think we hit bottom and it's quite a ways up from here.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...postcount=3679
Appreciate 0