BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
iamwingman
Captain
Rep
Drives: m4

Who will replace Ginsburg?

Looks like RBGís retirement is imminent. Announced this weekend or early next week probably. Another seat for Trump to fill. It will probably be a woman. Canít wait to see what the attack line on her will be. Amy Coney Barrett? Should be fun.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

Name:  E808CC42-11EE-43D4-B438-70B01A160E97.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  72.4 KB
Appreciate 5
      01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
D_M
Private
Rep
Drives: 08_Interlagos_Blue_E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Looks like RBGís retirement is imminent. Announced this weekend or early next week probably. Another seat for Trump to fill. It will probably be a woman. Canít wait to see what the attack line on her will be. Amy Coney Barrett? Should be fun.

Not to be morbid, but she knows what is at stake. She won't retire until a democrat is in office.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Not wishing death upon anyone but let's be real. She needs to pray Trump does not win re-election because she won't make it past his second term.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

She held out long enough to see if the dems could take the senate. She’s done.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
AnOldBiker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive 30i

From what I've heard on the news, even the extremist Ginsburg can't hang on forever. She should feel very lucky seeing the end of Trumps 1st term .. but don't bet on it.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I hope she lives another 20 years but her not being there, still, is an alarm. Her doctors said she is on track for recovery.
Uh...what about making it to work.
      01-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

She said in the past that she would retire when she “could no longer do the job full steam”. I think any honest person would say that horse has now left the barn.
Appreciate 7
Naz241515.50
Run Silent7361.50
MKSixer10858.00
glennQNYC3557.50
arkie6209.00

01-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

politically disagree with RBG, but respect the hell out of her.

At this age and with declining health, she should really evaluate what is important in life. I would bet this is more than her just wanting to hang on to possibly keep the seat democrat. For people like RBG, they will work till the day they die because that's what they enjoy and that's what keeps them alive.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
N54Yankee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post
Not to be morbid, but she knows what is at stake. She won't retire until a democrat is in office.
She's 85 years old, frail as a sparrow, weighs about 80 lbs if that and has had three different cancers in her life( colon, pancreas and now lung). I don't see her making it out of this presidential term.
Report out this afternoon from her camp that she's going to miss next weeks sessions as well. I think she's going to try and ride it out as long as she can from home, she's a very sick woman.
I'm not sure of the rules of the court requiring a justice to actually be in the court to actually do her job as required but they have to have some remedy for replacement if one can't show up wear the robe and hear cases.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

Quote:
Who will Trump appoint to Ginsberg's seat?

I'd like to see Robert S. Mueller III. Wouldn't you?
Appreciate 1
Lups10417.00

01-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Obviously makes no difference to me, but I'd like to see a reality TV star get thrown in there with zero experience being a judge or even a Laywer. Someone to just "shake things up".

No?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
She's 85 years old, frail as a sparrow, weighs about 80 lbs if that and has had three different cancers in her life( colon, pancreas and now lung). I don't see her making it out of this presidential term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
politically disagree with RBG, but respect the hell out of her. At this age and with declining health, she should really evaluate what is important in life.
Quote:
She said in the past that she would retire when she “could no longer do the job full steam”. I think any honest person would say that horse has now left the barn.

I agree with all of these quotes above, however, I ultimately agree with this one below more:

Quote:

As said above, she is a liberal through and through and knows what is at stake. She won't retire if Trump is in office, no matter how difficult it is for her and you know what? I commend her for that. I despise nearly everything she stands for, but I have to give her credit for her resolve and resolute attitude.

Think about it the other way around. Let's assume someone like Corey Booker or Elizabeth Warren wins the next presidential election. Would you expect any of the Justices who are strong constitutionalists to retire if they were about to, or would you expect them to ride it out as best they could in hopes they could make it until that presidential term was over?

I think we all know the answer.

================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Obviously makes no difference to me, but I'd like to see a reality TV star get thrown in there with zero experience being a judge or even a Laywer. Someone to just "shake things up".

No?
I see where you are going with this, but there is a huge difference between a politician and supreme court justice.

I don't care if some random political hack has any experience in DC politics. I do care if my surgeon has any medical knowledge. Same goes here.

01-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^
Valid but if she's near the final countdown there is no way she will trudge on and possibly die at work while going against Drs orders. I just can't see that. Human instinct.
      01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
I agree with all of these quotes above, however, I ultimately agree with this one below more:

As said above, she is a liberal through and through and knows what is at stake. She won't retire if Trump is in office, no matter how difficult it is for her and you know what? I commend her for that. I despise nearly everything she stands for, but I have to give her credit for her resolve and resolute attitude.

Think about it the other way around. Let's assume someone like Corey Booker or Elizabeth Warren wins the next presidential election. Would you expect any of the Justices who are strong constitutionalists to retire if they were about to, or would you expect them to ride it out as best they could in hopes they could make it until that presidential term was over?

I think we all know the answer.
She may not be dead. But it’s looking more and more as though she is incapacitated. And I would hope she could/would recognize that and do the right thing. Hopefully there is enough respect for the court that we don’t accept a situation where her staff writes her decisions and then holds and guides her hand for her to ‘sign’ them. I just hope we aren’t there already.

With her under the impression she’s signing a birthday card for her great grandson. Kind of gets into dangerous territory.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #16
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I see where you are going with this, but there is a huge difference between a politician and supreme court justice.

I don't care if some random political hack has any experience in DC politics. I do care if my surgeon has any medical knowledge. Same goes here.
How about Judge Judy?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #17
D_M
Private
Rep
Drives: 08_Interlagos_Blue_E92

Folks,

Google Supreme Justices who refused to retire. We have had a number of them throughout history.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent7361.50

01-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How about Judge Judy?
Sheís served as a prosecutor and judge at least.
Appreciate 1
Sassicaia3076.50

01-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #19
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Folks,

Google Supreme Justices who refused to retire. We have had a number of them throughout history.
Voids filled by her clerks?
I'm ok with that. Can she use them until death?
      01-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #20
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Folks,

I believe she is going to retire. In the near future.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #21
Sassicaia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If she had the legal background to justify the position, I would be fine with it. I don't believe that is the case, though.

If I recall correctly, she started as a low level criminal court judge and then moved into a role as supervising judge in the family court. Neither of these roles would align with the needed experience of constitutional law required to be successful in an appellate court, let alone the highest form of an appellate court in the United State, the United States Supreme Court.
Yes, but to just dismiss the job of POTUS as a simple politician not needing any credentials as a surgeon does for its job seems little simplistic and discounts the importance and integrity of that role, no?

Well i mean i guess not. Proof: DJT is the president.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #22
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but to just dismiss the job of POTUS as a simple politician not needing any credentials as a surgeon does for its job seems little simplistic and discounts the importance and integrity of that role, no?

Well i mean i guess not. Proof: DJT is the president.
Itís an executive position. Heís served his whole career as an executive. Unless they were governors, no career politicians have any executive experience..
Appreciate 4
Run Silent7361.50
MKSixer10858.00
glennQNYC3557.50