BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
osunick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000 w/oem hardtop

Adaptive cruise retrofit

I saw on Facebook that some shop had figured out how to retrofit ACC to an i8. They are doing this without radar- (I helped figure out how to enable traffic jam assist on an i3, so I know a bit about this)

They are understandably circumspect about what they're doing but I was wondering if anyone has tried using e-sys to update the VO to add 5AT (this is the option for ACC Stop and Go) to your car. Given that the integration showed cluster based UI it is very possible that this feature exists in an unreleased form in the firmware (just like TJA in US cars) and it just needs to be turned on. The i8 has the same mobileye EyeQ that the i3 uses for adaptive cruise so that may be all that you need. You won't have the distance buttons on your steering wheel but in theory it could enable ACC with default distances (and once you confirm this works, you can order the buttons, the switchgear seems to match sport package equipped cars in other lines)

Thoughts?

-n.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:24 PM   #2
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

i don't have anything related to this at all but the fact you're in PA and i'm in MV :]
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #3
osunick
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurng View Post
i don't have anything related to this at all but the fact you're in PA and i'm in MV :]
Lol, probably a popular location for BMW i. I don't have my i3 anymore and I punted on the i8 a few years ago because of the lack of ACC. As they continue to depreciate, though, an i8 with ACC is attractive to me. My e-sys is out of date though and I don't know if tokenmaster is still doing his thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:35 PM   #4
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osunick View Post
Lol, probably a popular location for BMW i. I don't have my i3 anymore and I punted on the i8 a few years ago because of the lack of ACC. As they continue to depreciate, though, an i8 with ACC is attractive to me. My e-sys is out of date though and I don't know if tokenmaster is still doing his thing.
ahh got it, yah ive had it for my x3m but tbh i dont use it here much because it seems in the bay we have really wide lanes and i just end up ping ponging. I do understand the appeal for traffic though.

i even stopped using the controlled emergency braking because sometimes it would think im about to hit some invisible wall when baking up into a space and its so embarassing
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
osunick
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurng View Post
ahh got it, yah ive had it for my x3m but tbh i dont use it here much because it seems in the bay we have really wide lanes and i just end up ping ponging. I do understand the appeal for traffic though.

i even stopped using the controlled emergency braking because sometimes it would think im about to hit some invisible wall when baking up into a space and its so embarassing
Oh, ACC isn't LKAS (lane keeping assistance) so no steering in lane, it's purely distance control while on cruise. TJA is the i3/i8 era of LKAS and it only is meant for very slow moving traffic like traffic jams, and I'm not talkingabout that. TJA is 5AR and you need to either have a capacitive wheel (not sure if one was ever made for the i8) or spoof the LIN signals to tell the car that a hand is present.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osunick View Post
Oh, ACC isn't LKAS (lane keeping assistance) so no steering in lane, it's purely distance control while on cruise. TJA is the i3/i8 era of LKAS and it only is meant for very slow moving traffic like traffic jams, and I'm not talkingabout that. TJA is 5AR and you need to either have a capacitive wheel (not sure if one was ever made for the i8) or spoof the LIN signals to tell the car that a hand is present.
i see yah i must have gotten those systems mixed up. I did have a system that didn't require eyes on the road but pressure on the steering wheel. It kind of follows the car in front but added on top of lane steering.
Appreciate 0