Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-18-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
aeromike03
Registered
Rep
Drives: i8, i4M50

Arrow Best place to sell 2015 i8 for maximum value?

My wife and I have a 2015 i8 with ~39,000 miles on it as a weekend and date night car. Well, I just bought a 2023 i4 M50 as my daily driver, and used her 2016 Ford Explorer as a trade in. This pushed my prior daily driver, a 2019 Toyota Sequoia, to her as her daily driver.

She’s been driving the Sequoia one week, and already she’s tired of driving something so big. We are a family of six, so the Sequoia will be kept for weekend kid activities, road trips, and towing the ATV. Unfortunately, that leaves us with parting with our i8. I know, shed a tear for me.

I’ve sold plenty of normal cars to CarMax, as well as traded things in to dealers. With something as unique as an i8, are there any selling tips from this community? Should I put myself through the hassle of a private party sale? I assume an i8 and it’s price tag will keep the riff raff and tire kickers to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #2
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromike03 View Post
My wife and I have a 2015 i8 with ~39,000 miles on it as a weekend and date night car. Well, I just bought a 2023 i4 M50 as my daily driver, and used her 2016 Ford Explorer as a trade in. This pushed my prior daily driver, a 2019 Toyota Sequoia, to her as her daily driver.

She’s been driving the Sequoia one week, and already she’s tired of driving something so big. We are a family of six, so the Sequoia will be kept for weekend kid activities, road trips, and towing the ATV. Unfortunately, that leaves us with parting with our i8. I know, shed a tear for me.

I’ve sold plenty of normal cars to CarMax, as well as traded things in to dealers. With something as unique as an i8, are there any selling tips from this community? Should I put myself through the hassle of a private party sale? I assume an i8 and it’s price tag will keep the riff raff and tire kickers to a minimum.
I'm not extremely experienced with selling cars but from my limited experience I would rank it as such:

1. online sale
2. private sale
3. dealership

dealership being the least likely to get a great offer.

Maybe you can consider both 1/2 actually. Cars and bids outside of carmax etc.

I'm not sure what the price range is over where you are but for a pre-lci (2014-2017, no production in 2018 from what i understand), the average price in the bay area is $65k. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

It seems that these cars do not do well on Bidding marketplaces…..looking for a summer rebound in used prices for these.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 01:20 AM   #4
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I would have kept the i8 as a daily vs the i4.... It's just not that interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 01:45 PM   #5
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Congratulations on the i4 M50, it’s a great car. I have had one on order since last summer. A month ago, I was at the local BMW dealership getting an oil change on my ‘15 i8 (only 15,000 miles on the car) and there was a used i4 M50 on the lot with 1,700 miles on it. It had almost the same spec as my order and I was ready to buy it, but they were asking original MSRP and the most they would give me was a $500 “loyalty discount”. I walked…or should say I drove…right to a nearby Kia dealership where the frustration of long i4 wait times and intransigent BMW dealers was immediately forgotten at the sight of a Snow White Pearl EV6 GT on the showroom floor. One test drive and 576 horsepower was all it took. The next day, the Kia was in my garage. It’s an amazing car and after a month, I like it even more. I really wanted the i4, but I ran out of patience and wanted a fast electric car now - not this summer or who knows when. I’m not getting any younger!

If I were going to sell my i8, I would probably take it to a local used car dealer who only handles high-end sports cars and either take the hit and sell it to them, or let them sell it on commission, though I’ve done that before and it can take time. No more private sales for me, that’s a pita.

I wish you good luck with your i4, and with selling your i8 - that’s a tough car to give up. My i8 isn’t going anywhere.😀
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 12:23 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Echoing another congratulations on purchasing i4 M50. What color is your i8?
Appreciate 0