heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Lol. What?

Lexus is clearly a threat to the Germans in the mass produced segment that includes SUVs and entry level luxury cars.

I agree they're not close to competing with BMW's M division, but that's not the bread and butter for the Germans or the Japanese.

Furthermore, going into a BMW, Audi dealership is more akin to walking into a Kia dealership vs Lexus, which is a significant step up. I didn't realize just how trashy BMW dealerships are until I bought one.
I don't recall mentioning Lexus in my post. Not sure what you are ranting about here. I think you need to read my post again as it didn't involve Lexus in any way. I simply said I don't think Genesis will ever be a threat to the Germans.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #24
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Lol. What?

Lexus is clearly a threat to the Germans in the mass produced segment that includes SUVs and entry level luxury cars.

I agree they're not close to competing with BMW's M division, but that's not the bread and butter for the Germans or the Japanese.

Furthermore, going into a BMW, Audi dealership is more akin to walking into a Kia dealership vs Lexus, which is a significant step up. I didn't realize just how trashy BMW dealerships are until I bought one.
I don't recall mentioning Lexus in my post. Not sure what you are ranting about here. I think you need to read my post again as it didn't involve Lexus in any way. I simply said I don't think Genesis will ever be a threat to the Germans.
So Genesis is not a threat to the Germans but it is to other Japanese automotive companies. Lexus is a Japanese automotive company.

So you don't see the insinuation that Lexus is also not a threat to the Germans?

My Statement is as much of a rant as yours is. Don't get so butthurt.

If you meant to exclude Lexus from your statement then I get what you're saying and appreciate the clarification.

Or are you saying that since there is less German representation on the list that Germans shouldn't worry?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

If Lexus is going to dominate the market for sports sedans, they better release a sports sedan. I drive a 3IS. Also had the 2IS. My oldest son has had 2 1IS's.

I keep going back to Lexus. I can only speak from my experience; lowest annual cost of ownership of any brand I have owned. I live too busy of a life to turn wrenches. When I need to go, I don't have time for playing Russian Roulette as to whether or not it's going to throw a code as soon as I start it....ultimately why I got rid of the second BMW. I want to be excited about stating the engine; not scared of how much it's going to cost me when I do.

Last edited by King Rudi; 03-25-2021 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      03-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #26
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
So Genesis is not a threat to the Germans but it is to other Japanese automotive companies. Lexus is a Japanese automotive company.

So you don't see the insinuation that Lexus is also not a threat to the Germans?

If you meant to exclude Lexus from your statement then I get what you're saying and appreciate the clarification.

Or are you saying that since there is less German representation on the list that Germans shouldn't worry?
Holy smokes dude I'm not ranting about anything. I noted the turnaround of the Koreans and success of the Telluride and Palisade and mentioned they have become a threat to the Japanese. You are having issues comprehending my post. That's your problem not mine.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7834.00
jmack548.50
      03-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #27
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Holy smokes dude I'm not ranting about anything. I noted the turnaround of the Koreans and success of the Telluride and Palisade and mentioned they have become a threat to the Japanese. You are having issues comprehending my post. That's your problem not mine.
Bro are you confusing someone asking for edification on YOUR post as a rant?

Jeez. I don't know how this is coming across when you're reading it, but if you don't want to take a min to explain, then thats your prerogative, but then don't be surprised if it's misconstrued.

What do I care.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #28
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Biggest thing I take from that list is how much of a turnaround the Koreans have made. The Telluride and Palisade aren't cheap vehicles and are incredibly well received and popular. I don't think Genesis will ever be a threat to the Germans but the Japanese better watch out.
Lol. What?

You sound like an automotive white supremacist where only Asians can compete with other Asians.

Triggered
Germanauto9698.00
jmack548.50
      03-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #29
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Biggest thing I take from that list is how much of a turnaround the Koreans have made. The Telluride and Palisade aren't cheap vehicles and are incredibly well received and popular. I don't think Genesis will ever be a threat to the Germans but the Japanese better watch out.
Lol. What?

You sound like an automotive white supremacist where only Asians can compete with other Asians.

Triggered
It's a NY thing. We're always triggered.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #30
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
If Lexus is going to dominate the market for sports sedans, they better release a sports sedan. I drive an 3IS. Also had the 2IS. My oldest son has had 2 1IS's.

I keep going back to Lexus. I can only speak from my experience; lowest annual cost of ownership of any brand I have owned. I live too busy of a life to turn wrenches. When I need to go, I don't have time for playing Russian Roulette as to whether or not it's going to throw a code as soon as I start it....ultimately why I got rid of the second BMW. I want to be excited about stating the engine; not scared of how much it's going to cost me when I do.
My E90 was full of issues and I finally had to sell it off to a friend last year. It was in the family since new and only had 80k miles.

My 2-IS is a 2012, has 67k miles, and has only required one repair (axle boot) outside of routine maintenance. Once I finish my graduate training and have more disposable income I'll surely get back into a German car, but the IS has served me incredibly well over the years. It's not the best handling car, far from the most powerful car, and the interior isn't as posh as it could be, but overall it's a fun little sport sedan with a worry-free ownership experience.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      03-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #31
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

I'll agree with this. Big difference in taking my car to the BMW dealership versus the Lexus dealership. BMW - bottled water and little to no communication, sitting around and waiting for however long it takes. Lexus, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and doughnuts/pastries, continual communication of what's going on/what to expect, a courtesy car without having to ask and upon picking up my car, it's been detailed, tires filled, gas tank filled, new wiper blades, etc. My experiences with my closest Lexus dealer has always been top notch....and I bought neither of my Lexus vehicles from that dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My E90 was full of issues and I finally had to sell it off to a friend last year. It was in the family since new and only had 80k miles.

My 2-IS is a 2012, has 67k miles, and has only required one repair (axle boot) outside of routine maintenance. Once I finish my graduate training and have more disposable income I'll surely get back into a German car, but the IS has served me incredibly well over the years. It's not the best handling car, far from the most powerful car, and the interior isn't as posh as it could be, but overall it's a fun little sport sedan with a worry-free ownership experience.
Exactly! I tell people all the time, it's not my favorite car, but it's damn dependable. My 2IS was a 2011, bought in 2013. Loved that car. I think my next ride will be a Benz. I haven't owned one of those yet. Would love to get in a C63 coupe.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25059.00
      03-25-2021, 05:08 PM   #32
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

With the talk about Genesis and the love on forums, it doesn't seem like the consumer loves them that much. Maybe this quarter will be better but Q4 2020 sure doesn't look like much. Alfa and Jaguar beat them, Infiniti sold more than 4 times more vehicles. Am I missing something?

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2021-u...ures-by-brand/

Name:  Car Sales.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  136.6 KB
      03-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #33
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
With the talk about Genesis and the love on forums, it doesn't seem like the consumer loves them that much. Maybe this quarter will be better but Q4 2020 sure doesn't look like much. Alfa and Jaguar beat them, Infiniti sold more than 4 times more vehicles. Am I missing something?

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2021-u...ures-by-brand/

Attachment 2562189
The GV80 SUV's just arrived at dealers very recently. Most of 2020 they only had 3 sedans on sale. Sales will likely double with the arrival of the GV80 and GV70 SUV's, and the Tiger Woods accident provided some pretty good PR as well. They still are a very small and new brand with a limited dealer network trying to make a name for themselves. Time will tell whether Hyundai can succeed in their endeavor.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...breakt-hrough/
Tacoma944.50
      03-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #34
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Quote:
Lol. What?

In the post he was responding to, you mentioned "Koreans" and "Germans" and "Japanese" and clearly this was about cars but it wouldn't hurt to clarify why you think one is somehow superior to another, especially in today's racially charged environment in particular against Asians.

For example, why do you think Genesis will ever never be a threat to the Germans? It can't be on quality because Hyundai came in ahead of BMW, MB and Audi on vehicle dependability last year. Maybe it's brand snobbery? But then what about Genesis against VW? It wouldn't hurt to elaborate your point rather than to brush him off and accuse him of ranting.

Also, when you say Genesis will never be a threat to the Germans, that's a far fetching statement because you're saying it'll never happen. Not that long ago people were saying Toyota would never compete but they are now the biggest car company in the world and Lexus is competing, for example, with BMW or Audi, as Sublime00 alluded. Hyundai & Kia have ascended even quicker, so as they say, never say never.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25059.00
Sublime001136.00