BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

12-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #23
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
How would you compare it as far as just EV experience to a Porsche Taycan? You mentioned Model 3 yourself, so fair game then, lets compare to a car in similar price point (ish), a base or 4S Taycan will land around where iX ends.

Main things I guess is just behaviour on road, sound or lack of, refinement, etc. Just curious, as I love the Taycan (and happy not all do, as then I can at least have hope of buying one easier) - while have not tried the iX. Im on record saying its face looks messy but now (mia culpa) it has much grown on me seen next to BMW other offerings.

Car looks super in Blue , btw. as all BMWs, Blue is their color (and silver). Shame they dropped that awesome satin champagne look and kept it for decor only, I really wish it was available in concept car hero color..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #24
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Apples and oranges, if that's the right terminology.

The iX for me personally smashed the Taycan. But the Taycan will hold its value and will have tons of buyers down the line.

The Taycan cannot compete for its screen thing at all. The steering is very very Porsche and so from a BMW you might not like it. Sound system in Taycan is not that good. No interior light pack. You sit really low. There is no boot, or much in the way of rear space. I did a film on it. But I won't post it.

Taycan is the nicest looking EV there is, but you need to have deep pockets and really LOVE Porsche. They have a dealer charge thing which is one advantage, you can pop in and eat their toffees and charge free now and again. They are really nice people and treat you like a celeb.

As a driving machine Taycan is great. Sounds become a little irritating. iX is a lot more space ship experience, literally, floating about in your highly modern Starship. Taycan is a god send for people who love that Porsche thing.

Taycan is ok on road noise surprisingly. And if you get the £5,000 wheels then you might look like a movie star.

If it were me - the sitting high up, plush seats, ID8, funny steering wheel really properly made me want one. And that is really rare given the amount of cars I have to drive.

The Taycan is nice if you are 28 and love smashing round b roads. Thats more of a handling super GT.

Not driven a quieter EV on tyre noise than iX.

Model 3 - stupid looking idiotic machine unless you get the expensive wheels... but wow does it drive nice. Shocked me. ( No good for motorway tho, too much road noise for me).
Appreciate 2
AshD101.50
volodp196.50
      12-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #25
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

Cool review, but you lost me when you wrote that the Tesla series 3 look stupid and that thing is the nicest car you drove. Just like most recent BMWs, this thing is just hideous to me. It looks like a blend of locomotive and tractor…
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #26
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Lol, it is quite locomotiveish
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #27
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
bmw x5 - g05 - 2019 - M Sport
I meant OP, sorry. I see that he has an X5 and 7 series, was wondering what else (ie, an M2/M3/M4/M5 or something sportier).
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 04:23 AM   #28
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Not a fan on M Cars. Just have a 7 and was "looking" for X5 being one of my major favourites.

440i and 550i both amazing, 850i great.

440i wins for handling. Clever clever geometry that.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 12:13 PM   #29
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
The solid state thing? Do you have any words on that? Agree by the way but any evidence? We will still have the energy price thing. The energy companies keep me awake as it is.

It does feel a little like all of them are place holders. Whereas Elon feels more like an established thing. The whole automatic routing thing, the destination chargers.

I think for someone with a big country house or driveway, short runs, drives not that much, ex accountant the iX40 is such a cool "modern" space ship toy. In the US or Netherlands it will be interesting as they have so many chargers.

Not driven the Plaid yet but this is way better than the old Model X.. shocker that was.
Really solid review; informative and entertaining. I have really liked what I have seen (from afar) in the new iDrive and the curved display. Looks transformational and so much better than the competitors. Can't wait to test drive one when it gets here in Dallas.
      12-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #30
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

I was so nervous about IDRIVE 8 as it looks so terrible on Youtube I love it...

but there is ONE MAJOR missing flaw.... Those programmable hot keys! --- there are non.... oops!
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      12-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #31
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
I was so nervous about IDRIVE 8 as it looks so terrible on Youtube I love it...

but there is ONE MAJOR missing flaw.... Those programmable hot keys! --- there are non.... oops!
Just speak to your personal BMW assistant 😜 - and you can call her/him whatever you want
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #32
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Just speak to your personal BMW assistant 😜 - and you can call her/him whatever you want
ha ha yes Colin.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #33
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:

Noises

Official word from my contact is that road noise is mitigated over the X5 by:

Wheel design.
Foam specially designed tyres for this car and non run-flats!
Elastic steering mounting thing.
Special engine mounts to reduce noise and feeling.
Acoustic glass.
Uhh this is an electric vehicle so there shouldn't be any vibration and thus no engine mount. It doens't have an engine to start with lol It has electric motor...
Was this contact of yours a BMW rep?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #34
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
Uhh this is an electric vehicle so there shouldn't be any vibration and thus no engine mount. It doens't have an engine to start with lol It has electric motor...
Was this contact of yours a BMW rep?
From the press release:

"The motor powering the rear wheels has an elastic mounting inside the axle subframe that offers acoustic isolation."

it's not about isolating the engine's vibrations. It's about isolating the road vibrations transmitted through the wheels - drive shafts - to the motor.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #35
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #36
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Question Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)?

How does the new iX stand up to the original Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) intended vision?

The launch of the BMW X5 (1999)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #37
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
How does the new iX stand up to the original Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) intended vision?

The launch of the BMW X5 (1999)
[
There are contradictory messages in these two videos. The first claims Frank Stephenson designed the original X5 while the second says Chris Bangle. ;-)

Joking aside, I know it was Stephenson and he did some other nice cars as well such as the Mini. It is however interesting to think about BMWs design during this era and some 10 year after the X5 was launched. I believe Chris Bangle was the lead designer of the cars at that time and he, if I remember correctly, was quite heavily criticized during his time at BMW for the designs of several of the BMW models. At the same time, again if I’ve not mistaken (and please correct me if I’m wrong), BMW sales grew rather much compared to peers at least in Europe.

It might be not only be the design that drove the sales. But it will be interesting to see how the criticised “huge grills” impact the sales. As we all know the iX has been very heavily criticised by people by its exterior looks, actually and especially, already before they have seen it in metal. Generally, the message, looking at the reviews are that it is better looking car live and generally a good car. I’ve had mine for almost 2 weeks now and think it is truly a fantastic car both when it comes to function, but also design. Love the car!

And I do personally like the exterior design with large kidneys etc, even though Mr Stephenson does not seem to like it. I actually disliked the iX first as well looking at the photos, but the car has really grown on me since seeing the first one live. The interior design I guess is not even something to discuss. But the beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder….lets see if the looks will grow on other car buyers and how it will go with the sales going forward. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:44 AM   #38
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Did you watch that same guy roasting the design of the new M version... what a brilliant video. Glass of Jack on ice for me feet up watched every second of it..

What a clever fascinating bloke and a massively good roast of the design ... there's no arguing with this guy and you can't help but kind of agree with him.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #39
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Quote:
Did you watch that same guy roasting the design of the new M version... what a brilliant video. Glass of Jack on ice for me feet up watched every second of it..

What a clever fascinating bloke and a massively good roast of the design ... there's no arguing with this guy and you can't help but kind of agree with him.
Haha. I had not watched a single video from this guy before the IX video was added here.

Agree, the XM video was very entertaining and that this guy is really, really fascinating. I kind of liked the front of the XM previously, including the kidneys, but must agree that is hard to disagree with this guy. He seems to know what he is talking about.

Last edited by NordicX3; 01-19-2022 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #40
Loco_iX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: IX

Quote:

Yeah that M version is atrocious. Seems like the Cyber truck designers tried to build a BMW…
Appreciate 0