Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #485
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
Not if you're looking for a comfortable ride
Not if you're looking for a quiet ride
Not if you're looking for excellent build quality
Not if you're looking for something other than a spartan interior
Not if you're looking for exterior aesthetics (yes, I know that's subjective)

My comments are not made as an anti-Tesla guy, I owned a MS for nearly 3 years.

Further, there was an efficiency test done by some entity that I can't recall, that showed the i4 was very close to the M3 in efficiency. In fact the i4 was nearly on top of that list.
Isn't that the same when trying to compare any two manufacturers cars in the same segment? There are always pro's and con's to each. The buyer pays his money and takes his choice.

Out of which car will sell the most successfully, it will be landslide model 3 victory. Partly because of the new BMW design language, partly because the G2x is a man's car, partly because BMW shoppers get to choose ICE versions too, partly because the Tesla is the better EV. If you are in the niche segment the i4 appeals to, it is a great car. Although I'd say the e40 is the pick of the range, as just plain model 3 (RWD) or LR is pick of the Tesla range. The performance is very definitely the worst of the range.
Comparing the two is really difficult.
On the M3P you can't get:
Leather
HUD
Laser Lights
Adaptive Suspension
Adaptive Steering
Adaptive Regeneration
Real Cluster
Opening Sunroof
Radar augmented ADAS
BMW Quality
BMW Service
etc.

So I don't know if the I4 is a niche market or not.
I know that cross shopping a M3P wasn't a thing for me. I lacks too many things I like in a daily driver.

There are quite a few people getting in line for the i4 that own Teslas. Will the i4 outsell the Models? of course not. But I also don't think that is the BMW goal. Right now BMW is selling all they can build.

Taycan, maybe.A bit on the expensive side and the wait is too long.
Fisker Ocean? On pre-order. Can't get leather but the quality will be BMW like. It's for the wife.
      01-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #486
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi e-Tron

Quote:
Isn't that the same when trying to compare any two manufacturers cars in the same segment? There are always pro's and con's to each. The buyer pays his money and takes his choice.

Out of which car will sell the most successfully, it will be landslide model 3 victory. Partly because of the new BMW design language, partly because the G2x is a man's car, partly because BMW shoppers get to choose ICE versions too, partly because the Tesla is the better EV. If you are in the niche segment the i4 appeals to, it is a great car. Although I'd say the e40 is the pick of the range, as just plain model 3 (RWD) or LR is pick of the Tesla range. The performance is very definitely the worst of the range.
And that says absolutely nothing about the points I brought up. With numerous options not even available on the M3 along with what I've already mentioned, I contend these are not the same class of cars.

Remember a Toyota Camry will outsell both. So what?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #487
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:

which i4 model did you end up ordering?

On another note, this thread is about 0-220kph acceleration, the i4 M50 is superior and is the best of the i4 range, and currently the best in its class and the best pick of the range for the purpose of this topic only.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #488
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

And if you want a working heater in cold temps....
https://insideevs.com/news/562350/te...-no-heat-pump/

Don't buy a TM3 or TMY
      01-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #489
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
which i4 model did you end up ordering?

On another note, this thread is about 0-220kph acceleration, the i4 M50 is superior and is the best of the i4 range, and currently the best in its class and the best pick of the range for the purpose of this topic only.
He bought the BMW NE (non-existent)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:00 PM   #490
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
He bought the BMW NE (non-existent)
I know you picked the edrive40, have you seen the i4 edrive40 times on Dragy?

On very very cold surfaces (think 50*F or colder), the only person on the database did 5.34 seconds, 5.03 seconds with a 1ft rollout.

I would imagine on gripper warmer surfaces that it would do under 5 seconds. Granted, there is only one datapoint, however RWD + colder road surfaces don't equal the best grip for acceleration, so the results will definitely be better on lets say on a 75*F day.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:04 PM   #491
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:

On very very cold surfaces (think 50*F or colder), the only person on the database did 5.34 seconds, 5.03 seconds with a 1ft rollout.

I would imagine on gripper warmer surfaces that it would do under 5 seconds. Granted, there is only one datapoint, however RWD + colder road surfaces don't equal the best grip for acceleration, so the results will definitely be better on lets say on a 75*F day.
Here is a e-drive 40 review. Very positive. He was surprised by the quality and strength of the acceleration. I can't believe the one review that said the Tesla was quieter. Just goes to show reviews can be 180 degrees different on the same car.

https://youtu.be/YrBr-55VeZ0
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #492
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

Is there any link to edrive40 reviews/dragy runs? I am more increased in edrive40 than M50 for its extended range.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:15 AM   #493
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Here is a e-drive 40 review. Very positive. He was surprised by the quality and strength of the acceleration. I can't believe the one review that said the Tesla was quieter. Just goes to show reviews can be 180 degrees different on the same car.

RybrookTV is a channel for a UK BMW dealer, so take with a pinch of salt.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 05:58 AM   #494
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Nice to see, but to be honest, the 0-60 times are secondary for me, so I don’t get too excited about shaving off a 1/2 second or so. After having 3 EVs with meh range, the range is more of a priority on this go around.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 06:10 AM   #495
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

He certainly loved the car and most of his comments were in line with almost all other reviewers. The one review that claimed the Tesla was quieter is obviously a one-off case, nobody else I’ve ever seen has said that. And he’s a Tesla fanboy, so despite his attempts to look objective, you’ll always see he finds a way to say the Tesla is better.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #496
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

He certainly loved the car and most of his comments were in line with almost all other reviewers. The one review that claimed the Tesla was quieter is obviously a one-off case, nobody else I’ve ever seen has said that. And he’s a Tesla fanboy, so despite his attempts to look objective, you’ll always see he finds a way to say the Tesla is better.
Maybe depends on which Tesla? Most comparisons have been with the Performance model, which had the 20" wheel set. The lesser models have 18" wheels which are much quieter and give a smoother ride.

Then 2022 model 3 come with the acoustic side windows, where as the older 2020 didn't have these. Tesla literally bring updates every week.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #497
hotrod182
Rep

Interesting how the i4 M50 may be running 105mph in the 1/8th mile. For comparison a M3P at 97-98 mph may be a full 7mph slower. Can someone put a 11.5@121 mph trap on a 5000lb car into a HP calculator? The M3P is supposedly making up to 550HP. Wonder what the M50 peak is.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #498
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Maybe depends on which Tesla? Most comparisons have been with the Performance model, which had the 20" wheel set. The lesser models have 18" wheels which are much quieter and give a smoother ride.

Then 2022 model 3 come with the acoustic side windows, where as the older 2020 didn't have these. Tesla literally bring updates every week.
You still have road noise intrusion even with the 18s as well as wind noise. There is simply much less noise deadening in the Teslas compared to the BMW and several other EVs. No way, no how, is any Tesla going to be quieter. And this comes from someone that owned a MS for nearly 3 years. It was certainly quieter than the M3, but it's not as quiet as my current e-Tron and I'm willing to bet not as quiet as the i4.

When one guy stands alone in commenting that the Tesla is quieter when every other tester says the opposite, you come to one conclusion, something was off with his review. I've watched a number of his reviews and he always finds a way to say he prefers the Tesla. He's simply not as objective as he makes himself out to be. But I do generally enjoy his reviews.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:14 PM   #499
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting how the i4 M50 may be running 105mph in the 1/8th mile. For comparison a M3P at 97-98 mph may be a full 7mph slower. Can someone put a 11.5@121 mph trap on a 5000lb car into a HP calculator? The M3P is supposedly making up to 550HP. Wonder what the M50 peak is.
Approx 665hp at 4883 lbs (DIN), if you use 121mph, but its based in an ICE calculator which doesn't assume sustained peak HP
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 04:05 PM   #500
hotrod182
Rep

Quote:
Approx 665hp at 4883 lbs (DIN), if you use 121mph, but its based in an ICE calculator which doesn't assume sustained peak HP
However with driver, probably 5000lbs+, and hopefully will trap over 121mph!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 04:34 PM   #501
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I ponder what the performance numbers will become when BMW BEV tech improves to 665HP at 3500lb with 500 miles of range and 10 minutes charge time(DIN).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:23 AM   #502
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Quote:
You still have road noise intrusion even with the 18s as well as wind noise. There is simply much less noise deadening in the Teslas compared to the BMW and several other EVs. No way, no how, is any Tesla going to be quieter. And this comes from someone that owned a MS for nearly 3 years. It was certainly quieter than the M3, but it's not as quiet as my current e-Tron and I'm willing to bet not as quiet as the i4.

When one guy stands alone in commenting that the Tesla is quieter when every other tester says the opposite, you come to one conclusion, something was off with his review. I've watched a number of his reviews and he always finds a way to say he prefers the Tesla. He's simply not as objective as he makes himself out to be. But I do generally enjoy his reviews.
I absolutely agree. Tesla's are great cars and I can see why so many buy them. Great performance/value and the sense that the car is fast.

I've bought and returned a MP3 before they went to dual pane glass. The wind and road noise is very noticeable. (Recently test drove with the dual pane, which makes it better, but you still hear it). You even feel like your going really fast in the car, but when I look at the speedometer, I was only going 70/75mph.

I leased an Audi Etron and wind noise was no existent. Car IMO was not very fun to drive. I'd be going 85/90mph without really knowing it cuz it's so solid.

I anticipate the i4 M50 to be similar to the Etron in terms of build quality and luxury, but a bit more fun to drive. Probably won't be faster than Tesla M3P, but I won't be racing with mine. Just want to drive fast here and there in a nice solid car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:32 AM   #503
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech8 View Post
I absolutely agree. Tesla's are great cars and I can see why so many buy them. Great performance/value and the sense that the car is fast.

I've bought and returned a MP3 before they went to dual pane glass. The wind and road noise is very noticeable. (Recently test drove with the dual pane, which makes it better, but you still hear it). You even feel like your going really fast in the car, but when I look at the speedometer, I was only going 70/75mph.

I leased an Audi Etron and wind noise was no existent. Car IMO was not very fun to drive. I'd be going 85/90mph without really knowing it cuz it's so solid.

I anticipate the i4 M50 to be similar to the Etron in terms of build quality and luxury, but a bit more fun to drive. Probably won't be faster than Tesla M3P, but I won't be racing with mine. Just want to drive fast here and there in a nice solid car.
Totally agree. My e-Tron has impeccable fit & finish, is dead quiet so 80mph feels like 40, but the fun to drive quotient is not there. I don’t think I’ve ever driven an SUV that’s fun to drive. I actually enjoyed driving my MS a lot more despite its quality not being in the same ballpark as the Audi.

So I’ve come to the conclusion I’m just not an SUV guy. So a sedan it is, whether that’s an i4 or a Lucid Pure. As it stands now, I’m leaning heavily toward the i4. I can’t deal with some of the numerous software issues I read over in the Lucid forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #504
hotrod182
Rep

Here's a great review to give Tesla cheerleaders something to think about. And this is a major EV channel..

2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:15 PM   #505
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
you are hilarious

side note, the 105 mph 1/8 mile trap, just remember that on a traditional dragstrip, I believe it averages the 60ft of the MPH (30ft before, 30ft after the 1/8 mile), which is normally 2 or 3 mph off the "true" 1/8 mile trap.

Nonetheless, this thing is a beast from a trap-speed perspective.

I never asked, what is your spec?

Mine is:
Portimao Blue/Cognac
19" standard wheels
HK audio
Parking Assistance
Ambient Lighting
Shadowline
Drive Recorder

Mine's a rather basic built.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #506
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Here's a great review to give Tesla cheerleaders something to think about. And this is a major EV channel..
"A BMW still feels like a BMW", and a Tesla is/will not be a BMW.

And many BMW drivers who moved to Tesla are silently moving back to BMW(either ICE or upcoming BEV).
Appreciate 0