Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Where in the USA would you choose to live?

As someone who is Canadian and knows nothing about the benefits of the individual states, crime rate, school system, outdoor/indoor attractions, etc - if you live in America, where would you like to live assuming you could find a job, had no family responsibilities tying you to where you currently are? And why would you choose that location?

My wife and I are starting to kick the idea of moving to the States around. She's a doctor, so it would have to be a state that recognizes her credentials, but we'll figure that out.

Our current government is insane and we feel they are targeting our kids by keeping them out of school. This has far ranging mental issues, societal issues, and general academic issues (unless we step up to the plate, which we are).

It would have to be a solid red state, not a purple one, because a purple one could easily flip and then we will possibly be in the same situation we are now, where they might close schools.

So California is out for that reason, though the natural beauty of that state makes it somewhere where I'd like to live.

I don't honestly want to move, but the fact that they are going this crazy over Omicron makes me think they will just continue to lock down every wave now despite the vaccine.
Appreciate 5
Murf99314114.00
Bunnny219.50
DYoung32.00
      01-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I don't know about solid red, but I'd say north FL. Jacksonville and the surrounding beach towns are nice. Good for taxes. Not too hot in summer, and some change of seasons. Not prone to all the hurricanes. Same with the upper west coast of FL.
Murf99314114.00
Joekerr7926.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      01-03-2022, 02:29 PM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Whatever you do don't come here.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614907.50
Murf99314114.00
King Rudi13152.00
      01-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #4
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

I'm in the 6th borough of New York, Boca Raton, FL. There are many Canadians down here and you will absolutely not be disappointed. Even though you can't get a double double, you will be around many from the Northeast and Canada.

It sounds like you are not interested in government overreach, you have a desire to work without restriction, and want to live free. If that's the case, then Florida is for you.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Joekerr7926.00
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #5
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Agree with Florida. Arizona, New Mexico, Texas are all good options. Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and gulf coast Mississippi would be options. Colorado, Idaho/Montana if you don't need great weather but like the outdoors. Nevada too but that is trending more purple (I still consider Arizona and Georgia red states despite the narrow Biden win there)

I'm not aware what's going on in California re schools and covid19 but I live on the border of Washington and Oregon - two deep blue states - and both seem pretty committed to in person education now going forward. So I'm not sure you have to limit yourself for that specific reason.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Well it depends what you want, city, country, mountains, beaches etc. Pretty sure you can find all of that in red states. You just have to decide what’s important for you (apart from being red) and narrow it down that way.

Also keep in mind that even red states will have patches of blue in them especially around big cities so if you want to avoid ANY blue then you may be limited. Maybe places like Wyoming, Oklahoma, Utah would work as they are about as red as you will get. I personally love Wyoming and if I could deal with the crazy winters I would love to live there.

Obviously a bazillion people are moving to FL and it’s a fairly red state compared to CA but it does have a lot of blue especially around South FL. Same with Texas I believe. Most people consider it a red state but it has a lot of blue in it.

Found this with a quick search might be a starting point

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ublican-states
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Agree with Florida. Arizona, New Mexico, Texas are all good options. Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and gulf coast Mississippi would be options. Colorado, Idaho/Montana if you don't need great weather but like the outdoors. Nevada too but that is trending more purple (I still consider Arizona and Georgia red states despite the narrow Biden win there)

I'm not aware what's going on in California re schools and covid19 but I live on the border of Washington and Oregon - two deep blue states - and both seem pretty committed to in person education now going forward. So I'm not sure you have to limit yourself for that specific reason.
Mostly spot on, and I came from fishers landing 8 years ago. The only exception is New Mexico is rather liberal and I would take it off the list. While many residents aren’t, the politics are.
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933117.50
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
North Dakota
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #9
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Don't come to Louisiana! The entire gulf coast has been pummeled with hurricanes the past 2 years. Our mayor is psychotic and our governor isn't far behind. It's hot and humid as hell and our school systems in south Louisiana are horrid unless your children can test in to a magnet school or you pay to send them to a private school. Some parishes (like the one I grew up in have excellent public schools) but they tend to be more rural. The upside is (prior to Covid) we always had something going on especially in NOLA. If you were bored living in the city there was something wrong. We are last in just about everything but comorbidities and obesity.

As we are in Europe, my husband and I talk about this. If my current job fizzles out I would love a global position where I could travel. I don't have anything tying me down and it's as close as I could get to moving. I've started looking to see what's out there and what I would need to find a position like that should the time ever arise.

Honestly, I guess each place will have its pluses and minuses. I'm curious to hear from others especially who live in other countries what they like/don't like. One thing I enjoy is the ease of high speed train travel in/between countries.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614907.50
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #10
vanguard8
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1969 2002

Most states are going to try very hard to keep schools open going forward. If you want to see which states educate their students best, & worst:

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/states-w...t-schools/5335
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 03:41 PM   #11
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
This yankee is fleeing New Yorkistan (upstate) for the freedom of South Carolina when it's time to retire. Just bought our SC retirement lot last summer.....
      01-03-2022, 04:06 PM   #12
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
As someone who is Canadian and knows nothing about the benefits of the individual states, crime rate, school system, outdoor/indoor attractions, etc - if you live in America, where would you like to live assuming you could find a job, had no family responsibilities tying you to where you currently are? And why would you choose that location?

My wife and I are starting to kick the idea of moving to the States around. She's a doctor, so it would have to be a state that recognizes her credentials, but we'll figure that out.

Our current government is insane and we feel they are targeting our kids by keeping them out of school. This has far ranging mental issues, societal issues, and general academic issues (unless we step up to the plate, which we are).

It would have to be a solid red state, not a purple one, because a purple one could easily flip and then we will possibly be in the same situation we are now, where they might close schools.

So California is out for that reason, though the natural beauty of that state makes it somewhere where I'd like to live.

I don't honestly want to move, but the fact that they are going this crazy over Omicron makes me think they will just continue to lock down every wave now despite the vaccine.
My wife and I have this discussion regularly, like you I don't like what's happening here, and I don't see it going back to some kind of normal anytime soon. I'd like it to but honestly I'm losing faith. Like you a Red State, and honestly if we did it I don't want winter anymore.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614907.50
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Wait, do I have to live in that house with you, or do I still get my own once I bring the Hispanic vote?
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

It's going to take you longer to sort out moving there, and the permission to do so (greencard etc) than it will for COVID to become endemic. You're talking years.

Regardless, the US, I dunno man, they have a cockamaimie system. They find a way to complicate everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #15
o_g
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '22 Ioniq5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It's going to take you longer to sort out moving there, and the permission to do so (greencard etc) than it will for COVID to become endemic. You're talking years.

Regardless, the US, I dunno man, they have a cockamaimie system. They find a way to complicate everything.
Green Card process takes about 10 years. His wife could find a job there and employer most likely will sponsor her.

Both systems have pros and cons!
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Even though a lot of my political (primarily fiscal) viewpoints don't align with California, I would still pick Los Angeles (specifically the west LA/Sunset blvd. corridor going into the hills). LA has a lot of problems and unattractive things about it, but there is still something here that draws you emotionally. And as a car guy, there is no other place with the abundance of dry mountain roads that we have here.

Now once I have a family my answer would likely change. A lot will depend on how much my future spouse earns. I'd love to split time between LA and Vancouver, BC.

Last edited by Germanauto; 01-03-2022 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

It's sad things are getting worse in Canada for citizens to think about leaving. I hear OP definitely.

Personally, the change to the US is not different enough. I'd probably head back to HK/China. For Westerners, maybe explore European options.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #18
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_g View Post
Green Card process takes about 10 years. His wife could find a job there and employer most likely will sponsor her.

Both systems have pros and cons!

I believe the US has a "if you got lots of money" VISA option as well as a "in high demand career" visa option.

Given that OPs wife is a doctor it should be pretty quick. Got $500k USD in the bank? They'll roll out the red carpet .
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7926.00
      01-03-2022, 05:01 PM   #19
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
It's sad things are getting worse in Canada for citizens to think about leaving. I hear OP definitely.

Personally, the change to the US is not different enough. I'd probably head back to HK/China. For Westerners, maybe explore European options.
Florida should be different enough
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Florida should be different enough
I'd only consider no-front-plate places and FL fits the bill but their plate looks nasty!*

*Kinda j/k about that (the plate reqt, not their plate, it looks bad w that huge orange lmao), but it's a nice to have criterion.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-03-2022, 05:38 PM   #21
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Funny, I've been trying for years to convince my wife to move 3 hours North to BC.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 06:14 PM   #22
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
As much as I'd want to have you here, don't come to Illinois and especially Chicago.

It's a colder LA with uglier women and less nice fun driving roads.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7926.00
King Rudi13152.00