BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #243
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

My car just appeared on the W&W Track and Trace page. It's now riding on the ship Boheme, with arrival at Port Hueneme, CA schedule for October 4. Knowing it is actually on a ship headed this way is really ramping up the anticipation! According to the ship tracking site (marinetraffic.com), the vessel is currently in the North Sea approaching Dover on the English coast. Silly as it may sound, I suspect I'll be regularly checking the ship's location over the next few weeks as a way to pass the time until the car arrives in CA.

Last edited by drlonline; 09-08-2014 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #244
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Silly as it may sound, I suspect I'll be regularly checking the ship's location over the next few weeks as a way to pass the time until the car arrives in CA.
You will

I've been checking about once a day just to see where it is (even though I have a port schedule). I think the Independence II is about to drop off the tracker (open sea). With the "we get to keep it roped off in the showroom for a week for selling it to you at MSRP" condition, we'll probably get ours within a week of each other.

That also means it appears VINs aren't purely sequential after VX64097.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #245
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Isn't technology great

Here I am on a Wi-Fi equipped plane flying over the Pacific on a business trip to China and I'm able to check where my i8 is spending the night (on a ship moored in Southampton, England for the moment) since the ship it's on is tracked on a web site via GPS data.

Carac, since you indicated your ship is just about out of range for the Marine Traffic tracking, have you tried the Sailwx web site? This appears to cover the globe and uses weather reports that the ships provide, along with their GPS coordinates, to track their positions. I was able to locate my ship, Boheme, on both Sailwx as well as Marine Traffic.

Now if this was happening in early 2015 I'd probably be able to call the captain of the ship on my Apple watch to have him check on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #246
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

my i8 still finished (status 155), but sitting in Leipzig for weeks

and my dealer and no one at BMW NA or BMW i can explain why.

It's been almost 5 weeks that it's been in this same exact status, and now other cars (including my dealer's #2 i8) have 'jumped ahead' of mine and that one is on the boat to the US, but mine still not even at Bremerhaven yet. Not exactly happy, but not sure what can be done, if anything.

thoughts anyone?

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #247
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post

It's been almost 5 weeks that it's been in this same exact status, and now other cars (including my dealer's #2 i8) have 'jumped ahead' of mine and that one is on the boat to the US, but mine still not even at Bremerhaven yet. Not exactly happy, but not sure what can be done, if anything.

thoughts anyone?
The only thing that makes sense to me would be that they caught a production issue in QC of early builds which they can address in new builds (which is why they are passing through more readily). Say they found a certain squeak, rattle, variance in panel gap, etc. and can modify the production process to address it early. The long holds are just them going back and fixing/improving after the fact. It's either that or a certain paint/wheel/trim has a supply constraint.

Last edited by Carac; 09-10-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #248
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mine sat at status 155 for over 4 weeks and was also passed over by other cars that shipped out. Carac's explanation may be as good as any, but I know how frustrating it gets. If mine is any indication, I would expect yours to move along to "released to carrier" anytime now. Then you get to watch the process of getting it to the port and onto a ship. This too shall pass.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #249
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i have also just heard that BMW is having major issues with . . .

. . . critical parts for other new models, as well, like black wheels, carbon fiber roofs, etc.

my dealer mentioned late today for example that some customers who ordered new m4's got their orders pushed out over two months because of procurement issues.

sounds like BMW may need some new project planning execs, procurement execs, and communication execs . . .

is this perhaps a sign that they are growing too fast?

hmm

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #250
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thought you all would get a kick out of this (this is real)

I had called and left a voicemail with BMW i Concierge about two weeks ago, and finally got a call back from them today (7 days later).

This is what they (some very junior guy) said about my i8: (THIS IS REAL, word for word, and had to share this with you all)

iConcierge: Sir, your i3 is a complex vehicle and takes lots of time to complete.

me: I ordered an i8, not an i3

iConcierge: Oh, well, it doesn't matter, they are the same car

me: no they are not

iConcierge: sir, trust me, i know BMWs. They are the same car. I know BMWs and I work for the BMW i division.

me: Yeah, i can tell

iConcierge: anyway, your i3 will probably take another 3 - 4 months to complete. we don't have any info about yours specifically, but that is the general rule of thumb. no i8's have left the plant yet. I confirmed that earlier today.

me: hmm. ok. that's interesting (I knew this guy had absolutely no clue what he was saying so I did not even waste my breath with him any longer)

iConcierge: good luck and I will continue to push production along from my side **(like he really could even do that!)**. Maybe you should have your car by Christmas. It would be a nice Christmas gift, right?

me: ok, thanks. goodbye.

U N B E L E I V A B L E. I feel like I am in the twilight zone or on candid camera!

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #251
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I saw in a "my production has stalled" thread on the 3/4 series forums about someone that emailed the factory directly and got a representative to physically check on their build and respond. Might have more luck going straight to the source. The address is info.leipzig@bmw-besucherwesen.de

And their phone is +49 341 4450, you'll should be able to get someone who speaks English.

Also, a direct call to Jacob Harb, Manager of BMW i, seems to have sped up the response I got. 201-307-4407
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:43 AM   #252
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

Quote:

thoughts anyone?
I am also still on the 155 lost in space voyage.
Just emailed the factory and John at Bmwi concierge
Getting more than mildly irritated.
At least I get to drive my ED M4 in Italy, great car.
If I had time I would drive to Leipzig and knock on doors !
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #253
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBMWGuy View Post
Testing post.
Test status: successful completion.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #254
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update status 182, released to carrier according to dealer. No response from iConcierge or Leipzig factory
Hopefully on next ship, east coast ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #255
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
Update status 182, released to carrier according to dealer. No response from iConcierge or Leipzig factory
Hopefully on next ship, east coast ?
Takes 3ish days to get to the port then it needs to be there 2-4 days before the boat to make it on the manifest, depending on how many are waiting in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #256
garage queen 335is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 I8, 2016 M2, E46 M3 race

Mine is on the ship as of Friday morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #257
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Looks like the ship had to go a little slower than scheduled, arriving a day later than originally planned. Now docking Thursday. Already got the paperwork finalized. Just have to write the check when it arrives. Excitement building.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #258
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Ship is back on Marine Traffic, right off the coast of Halifax, NS. Soon...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #259
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

excited for you!!!

mine now in 5th+ week after being completed and still at plant, not even on way to port. getting very very very very frustrated, and my dealer can't find out anything and said that BMW NA not allowed to call BMW Germany about special order vehicles. Not sure what in teh world is going on.

Mine is the sophisto grey - I wonder if they had issues with some colors vs others?

those of you whose vehicles are on the boat, what color did u order?

BUT - VERY excited yours is almost in your driveway!

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #260
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mine now in 5th+ week after being completed and still at plant, not even on way to port. getting very very very very frustrated, and my dealer can't find out anything and said that BMW NA not allowed to call BMW Germany about special order vehicles. Not sure what in teh world is going on.

Mine is the sophisto grey - I wonder if they had issues with some colors vs others?

those of you whose vehicles are on the boat, what color did u order?

BUT - VERY excited yours is almost in your driveway!
I had no response from Concierge John or Leipzig.
Poor show for someone who just spent $300k on 3 new bmw.
The whole customer interface past the dealer stinks.
I know the Maranello factory is a different ball game, but I always got a response and the ex President Ferrari NA gave me his cell # and took time to respond on 458 and FF. Even Marchione gave me a bear hug when I told him of my forthcoming FF.
If BMW want to enter the big league they need to understand that early adopters and opinion formers are crucial to sustained momentum once the ballyhoo has died down.
Maybe I should go with new Ferrari 458 turbo,
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #261
jordan.egan44
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, BMW i3 REX, BMW Z8

Just heard from our dealer, according to him the car has arrived at the US port and just needs the paperwork to be finished off. He said that it should be here either Tuesday or Wednesday!

So excited...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #262
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan.egan44 View Post
Just heard from our dealer, according to him the car has arrived at the US port and just needs the paperwork to be finished off. He said that it should be here either Tuesday or Wednesday!

So excited...
I'm interested to hear how long the VDC prep takes. I'm told it will be "longer than a typical vehicle". My boat docks late tonight, with any luck it will make it to the dealer by next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #263
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I'm interested to hear how long the VDC prep takes. I'm told it will be "longer than a typical vehicle". My boat docks late tonight, with any luck it will make it to the dealer by next week.
Congratulations !
Mine moved to 190, maybe a ship this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #264
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Car being unloaded in NJ as I type. Anticipation is palpable.
Appreciate 0