BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Nokia Lumia 920

Was reading up on this phone today and I love it. Still havent played with the new windows OS yet but the phone seems awesome. Anyone considering ditching their iPhone for one of these or maybe the galaxy s3? I have been waiting for the iPhone to come out to see all of the options before making a decision. What do you guys think?
      09-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

S3/android is good but Win has crappy app support, and that would probably keep it from competing.

I used a Win 7 phone for a while and Win 8 fixes most of the issues I had with it, but no app support kills the phone. Back on my iPhone and probably won't give android a shot unless the 5 doesn't impress.

NOK is tanking today; investors feel the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Existing XNA based apps are going to require a lot of work to get going in WP8. Silverlight based ones may be able to be upgraded on the new framework, but Lord only knows what sort of difficulties could still come from this.

They hit the reset button on what few devs have stuck with them so far. The 920 is a great phone, and like yakev said, WP8 finally addresses the most annoying shortcomings of the CE-based WP7.X, but raising two middle fingers to the few stout devs you have is probably not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

i like everything about it except how it looks >_>. Not sure why but I think its exterior design is ugly.

that being said, these types of phones are what we need more of. It looks new and refreshing.
      09-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
OOO
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: in the slow lane

It looks interesting. I switched to the S3 from the iPhone 4s 2 months ago and have enjoyed every single second. Unless Apple change that boring OS I'm staying with Android.
      09-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I recommend staying far away from Windows phones.

Stick with iPhone or Android.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
dasReaper
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 128i Black/Black

The Lumia 920 is definitely an iPhone killer. The Microsoft market place has over 100,000 apps currently. This number will greatly increase when WP8 and Win8 gets released. Win8, Win8 R/T, and WP8 all share the same base coding. This means that applications that work on Win8 will work with little or no modification on both Win8 R/T and WP8. With programmers being able to write a program that works on all three platforms the apps available exponentially increase. Plus, how many apps do you truly use on your iPhone/Android phone? Then look at home many of those apps come native built into WP8 or a native Nokia app. Wired, Gizmodo, PC World, Verge, engadget, and Bloomberg have all come out raving about The Lumia 920 after yesterdays press conference. Even Bloomberg is putting the final touches on their Bloomberg app for the Lumia 920 and WP8. The hardware in the Lumia 920 is hands down the best hardware offering coming out this fall. Pixels Per Inch is the same as the iPhone "Retina Display" plus it is 25% brighter and more energy efficient. The snapdragon dual core processor is 30% more efficient then the quad core counter parts. It has wireless charging. Near field communications. The battery is as big as the Galaxy S3. The camera is far superior to any other offering in a smartphone, 2nd only to the Lumia 808 which is basically a camera with a phone built in.

http://gizmodo.com/5940697/definite-...some?tag=nokia
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...a-920-and-820/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/n...gon-s4-cpu-wi/

This is coming from someone who hated Windows Mobile 6 on the HTC Diamond and switched to an iPhone 3G then upgraded to an iPhone 4 and then switched to an HTC Titan with WP 7.5. I have nothing but good things to say about iPhones and iOS. I recommended it to my grandparents and children because of how simplistic and constrained it is. All that said WP 7.5 and WP8 is just better.
      09-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I also think it is a very nice looking phone. Havent played with the new windows OS or the tile home screen so I am not yet sure how much I will like it. That aside, I am not as concerned with the apps because I see how quickly those spheres got developed for both apple and droid. ANy idea when it will be in stores?
      09-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
dasReaper
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 128i Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
I also think it is a very nice looking phone. Havent played with the new windows OS or the tile home screen so I am not yet sure how much I will like it. That aside, I am not as concerned with the apps because I see how quickly those spheres got developed for both apple and droid. ANy idea when it will be in stores?
There hasn't been an official announcement. Tho it's pretty safe bet October 26th. Win8, Win8 R/T, and WP8 are scheduled to release Oct 26th and Microsoft and Nokia worked vey closely on the Lumia 920/820. As the flagship phone to showcase WP8 you can assume that it will release along side the OS.

There is a Wired article about the head of Nokia's Design studio that talks about the design on the phone and also just how closely Microsoft and Nokia worked on the phone. All the way down to Microsoft matched the OS colors exactly to colors of the hardware and made sure everything worked. Very interesting article in general if your interested:

http://www.wired.com/business/2012/0...-design-apple/
      09-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasReaper View Post
The Lumia 920 is definitely an iPhone killer.
No, just no.

It may bring WP8 relevance in the heavyweight division, but it's not knocking the iPhone out. Only Apple can kill the iPhone, whether it be by making it suddenly uncool, or by just at some point releasing a vastly inferior phone. Don't look for either of those things to happen any time soon.

This is coming from someone who hates Apple and owns a 900.
Appreciate 0