BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #111
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Come to think of it, the first time I heard 802 diamonds at Whilshire audio in Thousand Oaks, Ca.. they were placed right around where those black monitors next to the NS10s are and they worked perfectly.
      03-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #112
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
First of all, you have provided nothing. The article you sent and especially the part you highlighted does NOT say studio monitors reduce room effects, it says placing a speaker close to you does.

They cant move the 802s closer, 1. because of their size, tweeter would end up being a lot closer to the person than the woofers 2. because the damn mixing board is in the way.

Just because a speaker works well up close, doesnt automatically mean it falls apart when you move it back.

Personal experience with a set of speakers trumps everything, you can read all you want.. till you hear them, you cant really argue anything.

And ill say it again, the part that you sent and highlighted DOES NOT SAY STUDIO MONITORS REDUCE THE EFFECTS OF A ROOM, IT IS REFERRING TO THE BENEFITS OF SPEAKER PLACEMENT.

AND THE REASON I BROUGHT UP B&W, FOCAL, etc WAS TO POINT OUT THAT MONITERS AND HIFI ARENT EXCLUSIVE TO EACH OTHER. A PAIR OF SPEAKERS PUSHING OUT 112DB WILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES PLAYING IN A LARGE ROOM. NO MATTER HOW WELL THEY WORK UP CLOSE, THEY WILL WORK JUST AS WELL WHEN PUSHED BACK. END OF STORY.

and I love how you start off by saying im wrong for saying its because of the size of the speakers but continue on to say its because of the size of the drivers. lolll
Oh really?

http://thestereobus.com/2008/03/07/s...ield-monitors/

"Nearfield monitors are smaller and are designed to be placed closer to the listener. One of the benefits of this is that you’ll hear more of the direct response from the speakers and less of the room. This means that the room doesn’t have to be quite as perfect to get decent results."

Keep up your anecdotal garbage.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #113
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Are you serious???? again.. it is the benefit of having a speaker close to you!! The speaker isnt the one doing it, its the placement.
      03-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #114
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Are you serious???? again.. it is the benefit of having a speaker close to you!! The speaker isnt the one doing it, its the placement.

It CLEARLYYYY SAYS ONE OF THE BENEFITS OF HAVING A SPEAKER CLOSE TO YOU IS LESS ROOM EFFECT.. IT DOES NOT SAY A STUDIO MONITOR IT SELF REDUCES ROOM EFFECTS.. FKN READING COMPREHENSION FAIL.
      03-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #115
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Feels like my innocent thread has taken a turn for the worse
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      03-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #116
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
Hey mate, back on page 1 I asked which ones you got.

Do you mind sharing which actual speakers, connects etc you put in? Im sure to the horror of the audiophiles I'm thinking of using them myself.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #117
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I got a few of these....

any good?

Was thinking of ditching my current velodyne/klipsch stuff with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #118
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Quote:

Do you mind sharing which actual speakers, connects etc you put in? Im sure to the horror of the audiophiles I'm thinking of using them myself.

Thanks.
I'll share mine- I've got a sort of odd house, built in 1864, 4 floors, can't really wire easily - 2 home theater systems (1 for each bigger tv - floor 2 & 4 - play bar, 2 play1's and 1subwoofer each) 2 play5's on the other side of floor 2 to group for music (open floor plan on that floor). 1 play3 for each of the bedrooms. A play1 for for each bathroom, and a play1 for a small informal subterranean eating area. 1 play3 for the back porch.

I do not use a bridge or boost, they all run great grouped or alone through wifi. There's not a place in the house that there can't be music when you want it unlike my old system which was only floor 2.

Mine may be overkill for a small footprint, but I just wanted to be able to get music everywhere I want it, and that's what I got
HFW0035684.50
      03-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #119
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I'll share mine- I've got a sort of odd house, built in 1864, 4 floors, can't really wire easily - 2 home theater systems (1 for each bigger tv - floor 2 & 4 - play bar, 2 play1's and 1subwoofer each) 2 play5's on the other side of floor 2 to group for music (open floor plan on that floor). 1 play3 for each of the bedrooms. A play1 for for each bathroom, and a play1 for a small informal subterranean eating area. 1 play3 for the back porch.

I do not use a bridge or boost, they all run great grouped or alone through wifi. There's not a place in the house that there can't be music when you want it unlike my old system which was only floor 2.

Mine may be overkill for a small footprint, but I just wanted to be able to get music everywhere I want it, and that's what I got
Thanks mate,

I'm currently building a house but can't pre wire so am looking at a Sonos type system.

I just want to use them in the media room and a large open plan kitchen, living and dining area.

Thinking about for the media room playbar, sub and a couple of play's (not sure which size) and then a few play's in the other area?
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #120
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks mate,

I'm currently building a house but can't pre wire so am looking at a Sonos type system.

I just want to use them in the media room and a large open plan kitchen, living and dining area.

Thinking about for the media room playbar, sub and a couple of play's (not sure which size) and then a few play's in the other area?
Your floor plan sounds about like my 2nd floor. With the play bar on one end, subwoofer, play1's in the middle and play5's on the other end, it fills the whole floor with decent sound. A nice bonus is the free tunein radio you get from Sonos. We've always had bad reception because of the hills surrounding us. Now we get a ton of stations from all countries, as well as most of my iTunes database of 14000 songs (I worked in music publishing for 15 years) and Apple radio. It's great finally having music throughout the whole house when you want it.

Now, if I just wanted a dedicated listening room (I'd probably put it near my imaginary panic room) and had the time to just sit in it and listen to music, I'd probably go a completely different route, but my life's just not that way and I'm very happy with all house Sonos music.
HFW0035684.50
      03-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #121
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Your floor plan sounds about like my 2nd floor. With the play bar on one end, subwoofer, play1's in the middle and play5's on the other end, it fills the whole floor with decent sound. A nice bonus is the free tunein radio you get from Sonos. We've always had bad reception because of the hills surrounding us. Now we get a ton of stations from all countries, as well as most of my iTunes database of 14000 songs (I worked in music publishing for 15 years) and Apple radio. It's great finally having music throughout the whole house when you want it.

Now, if I just wanted a dedicated listening room (I'd probably put it near my imaginary panic room) and had the time to just sit in it and listen to music, I'd probably go a completely different route, but my life's just not that way and I'm very happy with all house Sonos music.
Thanks, like you I don't have time to use a dedicated listening area just for music, other than my car that is.

As I mentioned I can't pre wire, don't want wires running everywhere and am not going to open brand new walls.

I have Sonos at work and we all enjoy listening to different radio stations depending on the mood.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      03-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #122
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.
No problem, I put a play 3 in my family room, play 1's in the master bedroom, media room, and garage. Working really great
Appreciate 2
HFW0035684.50
wrickem2101.00
      03-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #123
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No problem, I put a play 3 in my family room, play 1's in the master bedroom, media room, and garage. Working really great
Thanks, are you happy with 3's?

I've heard (see what I did there) they are not as good as the others.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #124
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you go to a better audio place (we've got Magnolia here connected to Best Buy), they should have 1,3 and 5's set up so you can compare the sound side-by-side. They're all good if you use them in the right place. I could have gotten away with 3's in the other end of floor 2, but I'd rather go bigger.
HFW0035684.50
      03-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #125
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep

Quote:

I heard the same thing, but found the 3 to be good...plus I needed something bigger to fill the space (family room opens up to kitchen, so this speaker needed to fill a big space . Good luck!
Appreciate 2
HFW0035684.50
wrickem2101.00